Octavia III Facelift

Quite a few first drive reviews of the facelifted Octy posted by UK car mags today, so there's obviously been a launch event.

All very complimentary about the car, with the exception of one thing: yep, those headlights - 'fussy', 'challenging' etc...

I'll be looking at either a Superb or a Kodiaq when my PCP is up. Unless someone comes up with a de-facelift kit.

I have always seen the unveiling of a new Octavia model as a progression, having had the Octavia 2, 2 FL and now 3. However, this is a step back in my view, the headlights are awful and there are no great surprises on the inside. Had the headlights been one unit they would of probably looked quite good. Sadly I'm moving on from Skoda after 12 great years, I have an A3 Sportback on order. Who knows I may come back one day...;)

Regards

Richie

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richie647 said:

I have always seen the unveiling of a new Octavia model as a progression, having had the Octavia 2, 2 FL and now 3. However, this is a step back in my view, the headlights are awful and there are no great surprises on the inside. Had the headlights been one unit they would of probably looked quite good. Sadly I'm moving on from Skoda after 12 great years, I have an A3 Sportback on order. Who knows I may come back one day...;)

Regards

Richie

I'm with you, won't be buying this generation. Just ordered a Leon Cupra

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LewJo said:

I'm with you, won't be buying this generation. Just ordered a Leon Cupra

I've been looking for comparision prices for a Leon Cupra ST 300 DSG AWD & reasonably nicely specced Golf R 5-door hatch.

Both cars listed at £38+K, similar PCP interest rates, bigger deposit contribution from SEAT, but the crucial factor for me is the estimated (by VW finance)

values for the cars at 36 months. £15K for the VW & £12K for the SEAT. 

It explains why the Leon's monthly repayments were higher.

It might make sense to by the Leon on a PCP, & pay the PCP off in the 1st 14 days to get some advantage from the bigger deposit contribution & keep the 

car for 4/5 years?

As for the facelift Octy, even the vRS 245 can't really with it's AWD cousins.

DC

4 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

I've been looking for comparision prices for a Leon Cupra ST 300 DSG AWD & reasonably nicely specced Golf R 5-door hatch.

Both cars listed at £38+K, similar PCP interest rates, bigger deposit contribution from SEAT, but the crucial factor for me is the estimated (by VW finance)

values for the cars at 36 months. £15K for the VW & £12K for the SEAT. 

It explains why the Leon's monthly repayments were higher.

It might make sense to by the Leon on a PCP, & pay the PCP off in the 1st 14 days to get some advantage from the bigger deposit contribution & keep the 

car for 4/5 years?

As for the facelift Octy, even the vRS 245 can't really with it's AWD cousins.

DC

I actually went for the Leon partly because to my eyes it's a far better looking car than the Golf. I'm not overly worried about the residual value as I'll either VT it or my dealer is pretty good at taking the hit on negative equity for me. They're paying the £2500 deficit on my VRS and still able to give me a reasonable discount on the Cupra above the £2500 deposit contribution and the £500 winter drive offer.

10 hours ago, LewJo said:

I actually went for the Leon partly because to my eyes it's a far better looking car than the Golf. I'm not overly worried about the residual value as I'll either VT it or my dealer is pretty good at taking the hit on negative equity for me. They're paying the £2500 deficit on my VRS and still able to give me a reasonable discount on the Cupra above the £2500 deposit contribution and the £500 winter drive offer.

True, the Golf isn't pretty but it's a much nicer car on the inside.

Both Skoda & Seat have to keep their costs down &/or are "told" by VW not to compete on perceived quality with the mother brand, & the differences

are quite obvious on the Golf size MQB cars.

'Tis a different story with the Superb ( & probably the new Kodiaq too), & when you can find some nice used Superb 280's for £27/8K maybe that's the

way forward for us.

I've never really used PCP's, I used bank loans back in the day & now prefer to own my cars outright, but we did when bought the Golf,

but paid it off 5 days later! Paying 6.8% interest these days is a rip-off.

DC

I have a new Octavia Estate SE Sport arriving at the end of the month. I went the 42 month PCP route, largely because of the added £2k skoda uk contribution, £500 fuel, and 0% finance. And I negotiated a fair bit more off... Had it not been for the skoda contribution and 0 finance, I'd have gone a different route or ended up with a different car. The dealer told me that the facelift version wont have teh contribution or the 0% finance.

They also mentioned that the new front lights aren't doing them any favours from the customer discussions they've had so far... Personally I think I like them from the pictures. But I couldn't wait as my company car goes back very soon.

(edit - although I am not keen on the silver horizontal strip in the front lower grill.)

Edited by WWorx

On 10.2.2017 at 21:55, Timpel said:

Since FL Octy can be ordered with LED headlights, it makes me wonder where does LED stand lets say compared to Xenon headlamps ? Illuminate better ? Same ? Worse ? 

Hard to say. Some LED headlights are good, others are really poor. But potentially they could be very good.

20 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

1 thing on the plus side for the facelift O3, you can now get the L and K without the diarrhea coloured interior.

Surprised that you care, given the engine choice...

• Like 1

Kinda wishing Škoda UK would get the finger out and get some more detailed info up on their site. There is near enough no trace of the facelift car mentioned anywhere just now. Have to dig deep in 'News' to find anything. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, fergiet said:

Starting to think the front looks ok !

I think it looks better with the black grill surround on the vRS.

• Like 1

Configurator now up and running on Skoda UK website.  Just need Lex to get their act together now so I can get my order in.  Front end has really grown on me - come to the conclusion it suits darker colours better

Edited by JamesH30