'The Grand Tour' Latest news

Lady Elanore

It's really really good I must admit I was impressed with a lot of the different elements of the show how its change but for the better, I wont say anymore other than watch it ;) 

• Like 1

Wasn't bad. The studio bit wasn't amazing, IMO, and the shootout has been done by Chris Harris (and was better, I think). 

That said, the upcoming bits looked good, so fingers crossed. I saw some e30s in there too, so that piqued my interest!

• Like 1

I enjoyed it but SWMBO though it was "too american", hopefully it beds in over the next few episodes.

You can see where the money is being spent, or a good chunk anyway, I always though Top Gear had top notch "cinematography" but this is to a higher level.  Apparently one of the major issues they had was that Amazon wanted everything filmed in 4k, according to Andy Wilman this is really difficult and there's a limited number of people with experiance dealing with it at the level they needed - seems like they managed though, although we don't have a 4K telly even 1080p looked great.

I don't think it was quite as epic as some reviews have made out. It basically seemed to be TG minus BBC interference and with more money.

Few things dragged a bit for me, tbh I don't find hypercars as interesting as things like the M2.

Glad that they realised noone liked SIARPC, wonder if that was a BBC demand.

They do make it look easy though, clearly very comfortable doing this.

And they can banter which is something you can't really script. BBC TG should probably give up on that until they have a cast that do it off screen first.

And it was very 'murican but then Amazon isn't necessarily targeting GB, they probably see TG as a big seller in the US and other markets.

American Stig driver annoys me already.

Edited by Aspman

The cinematography was stunning, I loved the intro, the cars were epic (although Chris Harris' test was better) and the chemistry between them is something that I missed.

The test track is lame and I don't like the pro driver, it's a pretty poor attempt to be controversial imo. I also don't understand the point of a studio audience if they aren't going to have guests.

Overall I enjoyed it but there is a fair bit of work to do imo.

• Like 1

Those very few final words summed it up beautifully for me.

"He's just got his mates back. Let him have them."

They ARE our mates. I feel it., and that's why they're so appealing!  :D

• Like 1

Well, I've watched it twice now and I must say I'm quite impressed!

Re the 'new stig'; I'm expecting it to be a top driver from each of the countries they visit. If so, looking forward to see who it'll be each week.

The cinematography was, as mentioned outstanding. This is what makes the programme and what Andy Wilman is good at.

The banter was typical TG banter. This was what was lacking by the shed load in TG with Chris Evans and that Joey from 'Friends' bloke.

Some parts looked a bit forced and some bits Americanised but I'm sure it will evolve and it was mostly good.

The budget was clear to see the cinematography was excellent and best of all shot and broadcast in 4k Ultra HD with HDR and the sound mix broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. 

BBC need to up their game. They shoot Planet Earth 2 in the same format but only broadcast and stream in 1080i, SDR, Stereo.

Lee

• Like 1

Liked it a lot, seemed just like TG to me.

I never saw the Chris Evans TG - since I was away the whole time it was on - but it cant have been as good as this.

So long as I never have to pay extra for it, the Grand Tour will be on my TV every week :)

Car bits were good. Talking bits in between far too full of their own smugness and arrogance and almost made me change channel. They all seem to have been on the pies since they left Top Gear as well.

Hopefully the second episode will be better.

• Like 1