Tyre Pressure for VRS

Hi Guys

Just wondering about Tyre pressure.My new VRS comes with Pirelli P-Zero, the tyre pressure of all 4 was 34 PSI, the Max PSI for the Tyre is 50PSI.

I'm trying to improve fuel economy.

I've read that Car manufacturers chose comfort over economy when setting the tyre pressure in their manuals.

Also some people have upped their tyre pressure on their VRS to between 40-44 cold.

Whats are your thoughts

Thanks

My Mk2 VRS CR usually has 30/32 in the rear and 34/36 in the front. The rear is lighter and is better with a wee bit less than the front or it feels a bit bouncy and harsh. 50 would be a bit high I think, it would feel every slight bump in the road.

It really is simple. Buy a good pressure gauge.  Then inflate the tyres towards the max on the Filler Flap Pressures shown. Set your TPMS.

Lower the pressures over the next few days as if you feel they are too high. Resetting the TPMS each time.

Only you know how or where you drive and if loss of traction is worth it for Economy.

Total Cost of experimenting 50 pence max to inflate tyres, and investment in a Tyre Pressure Gauge.

• Like 1

There is also the risk that any gains in economy from over inflation may be more than negated by uneven tyre wear and premature replacement...

To get perfectly even wear, I've been running both my last two Mk2's, and my current Mk3 at 29psi all round. Economy hasn't really changed noticeably from previous 34ish, but in all honesty, tyre pressures will make a small contribution compared to removing unnecessary weight, roof bars, and a leaden right foot, at least in my experience :D

• Like 1

50 psi is even higher than the delivary presures when the car is new, its not good for the car, you go through loads of suspention components, and not safe.

50psi is the safe working presure of the tyre, not the recomended presure when its on the car. Anyway the car will ride like a bag of hammers. Not to mention you will unevenly wear the centre of the tyre out.

Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

I've tried pressure up to 40 psi in summer tyres. I decided 37-38 was best for me. Above this seemed to get a harsher ride but up to this the economy seemed improved. Tyre wear has been even.  Winters I run at 39-40psi

the Max PSI for the Tyre is 50PSI.

That pressure is when the tyre is used to carry its maximum rated load (which is also shown on the sidewall) - and the vRS is nowhere near that heavy, so it's not appropriate to use that pressure at the tyre loads of a vRS.

I have 35Psi in my 225/35/19 Pirelli Zero's and my winter set up 223 /45/17 Khumo iZens run at 32 Psi ( as recommended by my local tyre place )

Not too sure that your local tyre place is correct on the winter tyre psi - softer compound / requirement to keep the sipes on the winter tyres spread requires higher pressures, usually 2-3 psi above standard summer pressures - this was the advice always given in Germany by the tyre shops.

Edited by Black_Sheep

I have 35Psi in my 225/35/19 Pirelli Zero's and my winter set up 223 /45/17 Khumo iZens run at 32 Psi ( as recommended by my local tyre place )

That seems quite low considering the manufacturers recommendation is 2.7bar/39.5psi for normal usage. I run my 225/35/19 Pirellis at the specified pressure and haven't had any issues doing so. I would worry with a 35 profile tyre that you run the risk of rim damage if you hit a pot hole running them too soft.

Interestingly, 35ish did seem to be what they were inflated to when I picked the car up new, but a bit more pressure definitely seemed to improve the handling on turn in

ll that said, I am not a fan of the P Zeros - regardless of pressure they are very noisy and lack traction in the wet under acceleration...I think they must be quite a hard compound and I am looking forward to replacing them with some Goodyear F1 AS2/3 or Michellins

Edited by Item

Hi Guys

Just wondering about Tyre pressure.My new VRS comes with Pirelli P-Zero, the tyre pressure of all 4 was 34 PSI, the Max PSI for the Tyre is 50PSI.

I'm trying to improve fuel economy.

I've read that Car manufacturers chose comfort over economy when setting the tyre pressure in their manuals.

Also some people have upped their tyre pressure on their VRS to between 40-44 cold.

Whats are your thoughts

Thanks

34psi (2.4bar) is about right for 3 people plus luggage and nomal driving, as per fuel flap table. Increased to 39/2.7 for same loading in eco mode, or 36/2.5 if 5 persons plus luggage.

As others suggest, try to see which suits your driving style/comfort and just keep a check for even surface tyre wear.

I run 45psi in my 225/35 R19 winter wheels (8.5x19) cold tire inflation pressure, and 42psi on my 225/35 R19 summer setup (9.0x19) 

This works for me with my setup, but as you can read above there's lots of different opinions on what pressure to run :-)

I've been meaning to check my tyre pressures for a few weeks now and eventually got round to it today, all were set to, now wait for it................48psi... :o

Picked my car up from the dealer on 15/11 and I thought it was a bit harsh going over bumps :D It has 18's on so set them all to 35 psi and what a difference...

Cheers

MarkC

• 1 year later...
On 18/12/2016 at 09:54, neiln said:

I've tried pressure up to 40 psi in summer tyres. I decided 37-38 was best for me. Above this seemed to get a harsher ride but up to this the economy seemed improved. Tyre wear has been even.  Winters I run at 39-40psi

same here.... for 235/35/19 i find 2.7 bar or 37-38 psi was the best for comfort and wear seems to be even.

• 3 years later...

I would not advise setting the cold pressure above 40. Once they tyre is hot it will be running close to the max pressure. One big pot hole could blow it out spectacularly. Also you will wear a band out in the centre of the tyre and in the wet you will be skating.

I run 38 pound fr and 35 re on the wifes VRS. Its a good pressure for economy and comfort balance. 

Setting tyres cold is simply clever.   Remember if in the UK cold ambient depends on weather, season. so check pressures regularly and adjust also as your load / use varies. Cold might be below 0*C and up into the high 20,s or over that occasionally . .   So pressure set / checked with cold tyres and easy to check what they are when hot, after use and compare how much that difference of a pressure is.  

Edited by roottoot