Middle of the range tyres

Recently a dealer put falkens on my hatch 2005 tdi. I have to say that for £130 a pair I'm so far 5 months in very impressed tbh. Far better than Dunlop sport blue response and the goodyears I had before that. 

I do 1-1.5 k a month and I love them great on mway great in the wet with standing water and great on any other type of road

• Like 1

If you dont want to break the bank how about purchasing tyres through blackcircles monthly. You pay slighlty more but sometimes but can get some really good deals.

How much are you looking to spend per tyre?

Edited by Ecomatt
Missed word
  • Like 1

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3.

May be more towards the premium end, but looking on Blackcircles they are £90 a corner. Blackcircles don't have anything else at least mid range that's going to save you a significant amount per tyre, with a similar level of performance, longevity, fuel economy etc.

As an example Uniroyal Rainsport 3 are only £6 a corner less, but are a noisier tyre and don't have a reputation for lasting. There is a Kumho for £74 yet it is significantly noisier, and has C and E ratings for wet grip and fuel economy, compared to A and C of the F1A3 or Rainsport 3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

If you dont want to break the bank how about purchasing tyres through blackcircles monthly. You pay slighlty more but sometimes but can get some really good deals.

W ould prefer not to pay monthly and my budget is £70 a corner, but will be getting them fitted at a local shop which means variables..Would you class £70 a corner as medium price? I know some on here spend a lot of money (to me) for tyres but each to their own.

20 minutes ago, Pudq1 said:

W ould prefer not to pay monthly and my budget is £70 a corner, but will be getting them fitted at a local shop which means variables..Would you class £70 a corner as medium price? I know some on here spend a lot of money (to me) for tyres but each to their own.

Might be do-able if your local place can fit for a low price. The Rainsport 3 is £55 plus a few quid for delivery at Camskill. 

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p111670/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_225_40_R18_92Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

Regarding the budget, £70 is reasonable but things other than price should also be taken into account. I.e. fuel economy (rolling resistance) and longevity of the tyre must also be taken into account. If a 70 quid tyre lasts 10k before needing replacement, but a 90 quid tyre lasts 15k then the cheaper tyre isn't necessarily a money saver. Over time you're also saving on extra tyre fitting costs with tyres that last longer.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 2

+1 Rainsports.  I just put these on and they are decent performers.   I don't think you'll do better for a good 18" 225/40 at that price.  About £60 landed price and then budget £12-15 for fitting and disposal each corner (that's what it is around here in Surrey anyway).  Should really get geometry checked as well.   

That is a decent tyre at a bargain price. There may well be some even better options if money is no issue, but you're looking well north of £100 per corner to get into the premium segment.

Agree about tyre wear and  cost per mile is a good measure - I got 30,000 miles from my Goodyear excellence on a Golf Mk5 BUT it is very difficult to predict unless someone with the same car and driving style has run them before!

Edit: And you wouldn't want to take a tyre that offered brilliant cost per mile but was noisey and terrible in the wet. Driving characteristics have to be met first!

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 3

Depending on what size wheels your car has your budget should get you some decent quality tyres.

Recently fitted Dunlop Sport BluResponse to my fronts. Not that impressed with the sidewall looks personally, but they have a good rating for wet / economy and noise, and were circa £114 (iirc) fitted, from / at Halfords.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

I like Vredestein Quattrac 5 all season tyres. Fitted to all our cars currently Quite cheap at Camskill. Quiet and comfortable, but not sporty handling (i.e. soft not hard)

Wear so far seems very good they have tread wear rating of 400 compared to say goodyear vector 4 which is only 280.

I have seen many posts stating that uniroyal rainsports wear very quickly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pudq1 said:

Toyo T1 sports are also a good tyre and not expensive. I had them on my last VRS and was very impressed with the wear rate and grip levels. I currently have Goodyear Asy 3 fitted to the front and Nexen on the rear. The Nexens came with the car so they will be changed later this year to Goodyears.

• Like 1

What size tyres are fitted to your car?

For example, if it's 205/55/R16 this an pretty good option in your price range: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s291p130115/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_EfficientGrip_Performance_Goodyear_Efficient_Grip_Performance_-_205_55_R16_94W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_A_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

It's also a good idea to phone around local suppliers. Last time I bought tyres (for a previous car) I was looking at about €90 per tyre for those Goodyears online - a local fitter quoted me that price including fitting when I phoned around. Especially look for places that have multiple outlets (not necessarily chain stores) - they'll buy in greater bulk and be able to discount more.

I ran Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on a previous car and found them great: quiet and economical while still being excellent for grip and handling. After 20000 km they still had more than half the tread depth left too.

The bottom line is you have 4 patches of rubber the size of your palm holding you onto the road: it's worth investing in that.

• Like 1

You haven't actually stated what size tyre you need. Also bare in mind the cost of buying tyres online then paying local place for fitting and balancing etc.

F1 Autocentres do very good deals. EG: Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 91V 205/55VR16 4 tyres for £227.60 or £56.90 per tyre fully fitted etc. Not going to beat that and they are pretty decent tyres for day to day driving.

• Like 3

D'oh, just seen you only said Octavia Estate and not Octavia VRS. Ignore my replies if you don't have a VRS, if you have smaller wheels £70 is definitely do-able for decent tyres!

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golf-Fiend said:

You haven't actually stated what size tyre you need. Also bare in mind the cost of buying tyres online then paying local place for fitting and balancing etc.

F1 Autocentres do very good deals. EG: Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 91V 205/55VR16 4 tyres for £227.60 or £56.90 per tyre fully fitted etc. Not going to beat that and they are pretty decent tyres for day to day driving.

The tyre size would have been useful. Stops a lot of fruitless activity!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevfire2 said:

Another vote for Goodyear efficient grips. excellent handling and economy. under £60 a corner.

And another vote. Just had a set fitted after my wheels had been refurbished, so effectively fitting was free. Replacing the tyres was included at no extra cost.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Ive got sets of tyres for all 3 cars from www.blackcircles.com

All of them are on Michlians. The latest cost me a couple of hundred quid mailed! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWARD said:

Seen someone recommend Nexen tyres. I can't comment on the others recommendation but I wouldn't recommend Nexen's to anyone.

Mmmmm,  Intresting comment. I have a friend with a new 66 plate Jag XF and it came with Nexon N8000's as standard. 

I've been in the car and the tyres are excellent in the wet and dry, ( both at speed ) they feel really planted. Excellent grip.

Do you think some tyres suit some cars and not others, size, suspention set up, brakes, throttle response, engine size, car weight, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, 4X4, all factors to consider, etc etc

One tyre might not fit all................

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Mmmmm,  Intresting comment. I have a friend with a new 66 plate Jag XF and it came with Nexon N8000's as standard. 

You sure they were standard?!?

I'm gonna check tomorrow when I get into work, but I don't recall seeing them on an XF out the factory....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jars said:

You sure they were standard?!?

I'm gonna check tomorrow when I get into work, but I don't recall seeing them on an XF out the factory....

I assumed they are standard as it's a 66 plate. I'll see him next week so I'll ask..............Deffo Nexens

• Like 1