EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

Just now, kevberlin said:

I visited a BMW dealer. On discussing the trade in value of my Skoda Superb diesel, the salesman specifically stated that the car's value had been adversely affected by the emissions issue.

A car salesman telling a customer his trade in car isn't worth as much as the customer thought it might be? Whatever next....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

A car salesman telling a customer his trade in car isn't worth as much as the customer thought it might be? Whatever next....

I am only reporting what he said as his opening gambit on trade-in value prior to test drive. No more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

I am only reporting what he said as his opening gambit on trade-in value prior to test drive. No more.

If you're going to go to court claiming losses and damages due to lost car values, best be armed with a little more than a car salesmans verbal opinion on the trade in value of a vehicle. I'm sure the court would be rather sceptical. In fact, even if he put it in writing VAGs lawyers would pull it apart. You'll need to show that the cars value has been affected, by how much, then prove that VAG were responsible for all those losses etc. In return VAG would need to discredit your salesmans opinion, and I doubt they'd take long to do that. All they'd need to do would ask for his qualifications to make those assumptions really.

Or perhaps he just used the oldest salesmans trick of telling you your car isn't worth much because [make up any topical reason]. Went to look at a Golf last week from a main dealers and the salesman said "If you don't buy it I'm tempted to buy it myself". I doubt that was said in truth either.

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Something for nothing? I bought a car that has a cheat fitted which I feel decreased its value,and if I have  to tick a box for VAG by having the fix with nothing to gain for me and a great chance of ruining the engine ,if you are happy to be treated this way it's your choice as a VAG fan but I've been cheated and my buying/ selling options have been limited by VAG  so yes I would like to be compensated for all this trouble.

Something for nothing .. ...

I can see you have nothing to gain, but you can't get compensation for that so Ia m intrigued about  how much , if anything , have you lost financially and why ? I sense the irritation but can't grasp why that translates so easily into pound notes - as you say, something for nothing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

If you're going to go to court claiming losses and damages due to lost car values, best be armed with a little more than a car salesmans verbal opinion on the trade in value of a vehicle. I'm sure the court would be rather sceptical. In fact, even if he put it in writing VAGs lawyers would pull it apart. You'll need to show that the cars value has been affected, by how much, then prove that VAG were responsible for all those losses etc. In return VAG would need to discredit your salesmans opinion, and I doubt they'd take long to do that. All they'd need to do would ask for his qualifications to make those assumptions really.

Or perhaps he just used the oldest salesmans trick of telling you your car isn't worth much because [make up any topical reason]. Went to look at a Golf last week from a main dealers and the salesman said "If you don't buy it I'm tempted to buy it myself". I doubt that was said in truth either.

I am not going to court. I am not claiming damages. I am simply responding to this thread and reporting what a salesman said to me. Please don't assume or seek to interpret anything else from my original post. It was simply a statement of fact.

• Like 1

Salespeople call or Email and say they have customer wanting a car like yours. 

They lie.

They say they are as scarce as hens teeth, they lie.

Best one is when you see a BMW / Audi salesperson that has a dig at what you are driving like a Skoda and then you might see them working 

in a SEAT garage or doing some other sales job like selling solar panels.

I like to remind them that the customers buying cars pays so that they were wearing a nice suit and were driving a BMW perk and it was not their car.

22 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

I am not going to court. I am not claiming damages. I am simply responding to this thread and reporting what a salesman said to me. Please don't assume or seek to interpret anything else from my original post. It was simply a statement of fact.

Except it wasn't really fact. It was a sales gambit from a less than believable source. It may well be that it's a fact that you heard him say it, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Once the latest VW Scandal features are aired on programmes on the BBC like Watchdog & Rip off Britain then dealers sitting with Euro 5 TDI's that have had 'The Fix' might well have to rethink their 'Asking Prices' and the value of stock they are sitting with.

The wider UK public might just pay more attention to how the VW Group have behaved and that it is not just VW & AUDI but also SEAT & SKODA 

that might have 'Approved Used Cars' for sale that might just cause the new owner a load of grief.

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

Except it wasn't really fact. It was a sales gambit from a less than believable source. It may well be that it's a fact that you heard him say it, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Wrong again! It was a fact that he said those things to me.

3 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

:blink: That's what I just said...

Let's agree to disagree then and leave it like that.

Have a nice evening.

• Like 2

So this discussion rolls on.

Will SKODA keep asking me to let them do the fix or if not done will the insurance providers or the DVLA be equipped with legislation to enforce the fix.

Am I better getting the fix done then get a re-map ? Had one done by Bluefin on a Passat 170 back in 2007, car went great, more power, better fuel until - the clutch went at 44k

car was still under warranty, the dealer was thinking the engine had been tinkered with so I ended up with a £1000 bill for new clutch and flywheel the dealer made part payment for labour. The car was never the same again and I part x ed for new 2009 Yeti 140. Had another new one in 2013.

5 minutes ago, dasower said:

Will SKODA keep asking me to let them do the fix or if not done will the insurance providers or the DVLA be equipped with legislation to enforce the fix.

The car was legal when you bought it and nothing has changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dasower said:

So this discussion rolls on.

Yes they will probably keep asking, so keep saying no.

What on earth has it got to do with your insurance? I see absolutely no connection.

DVSA have already stated that as the MOT does not measure CO and it not part of the Emissions legislation they have no recourse to follow this up. Their only involvement has been to provide the addresses of owners.

As per the above. I responded to Skoda and formally informed them I have declined the fix and that my dealer had helpfully noted it in their system. 

It's not a legal requirement. It does not impact MOT or insurance. It DOES NOT impact real world driving conditions pollution. 

Skoda letter does not say you have to do it. Why ruin your car for VAGs political gain?

I suggest you will regret having it done. My advice is hold off for now. This case is om BBC Watchdog this week. They have been doing an in-depth undercover report. This could be a game changer.

Looked on Autotrader today and Yeti diesel prices have suddenly dropped. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, munrorunner said:

Looked on Autotrader today and Yeti diesel prices have suddenly dropped.     no surprise there then

Looks as though there are a couple of car items -

Episode 3

Watchdog, Series 38 Episode 3 of 6

The team meet people whose vehicles have suddenly lost power in the middle of the road and ask if one car giant's efforts to fix a problem are creating a more worrying concern.

4 hours ago, Urrell said:

The car was legal when you bought it and nothing has changed.

Was it though given that Type Approval was obtained by devious means?

And I suppose that if the fix isn't carried out it could be construed that the vehicle doesn't comply with the Type Approval either.

Of course, unlike in the US, VWG seem so far to be pretty much getting away with it due to the weak response from the authorities over here and the rest of Europe.  

• Like 1

Ho hum, anyway I do have it somewhere on all my insurance paperwork that changes from vehicle standard specifications should be notified.

Anyway the way I see it is if we / you / anyone changes the standard spec of software / hardware / anything else, the insurers should be notified, it may mean an increase in cost for vehicles that have had the fix.

I don't know how the insurers would see the "fix" within their categories.  

Will be keeping my Yeti 5L as it is.

3 hours ago, munrorunner said:

Looked on Autotrader today and Yeti diesel prices have suddenly dropped. 

I have been looking around for a Yeti for the UK, to use when we are  here ....... I want a diesel

Dealer prices seem to be very similar between Skoda Authorised dealers - i.e. similar spec cars are advertised at similar prices. It seems as if they have an "internal" Skoda used Yeti book that they refer to to obtain a price ...... the sticker price on some used vehicles that I have looked at can also vary significantly versus the AT internet price ...... 

Can the fix, if applied, be annulled with a remap?

(A salesman at quite a sizeable dealership told me that they had not had any problems with Yeti's after the fix .... I mentioned Limp Mode and EGR ....but he would say that wouldn't he - he said he had heard of problems with VW cars, but they had had none)

Edited by BillN_33