VCDS what do I need? - READ BEFORE BUYING

SP36

With regards to VIM etc then yes I fully agree.

However you can also change things like how the lights come on (rear DRLs etc) on the PQ35 (Yeti, MKII Superb etc) and electric tailgate closing on the Superb MKIII (by uploading modified files) so it’s not all just covering their ass. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/03/2018 at 19:18, Gizmo said:

VIM does indeed need VCP. 

VCP can do more than what VCDS is capable of doing, however there is a catch (isn’t there always!) as VCP is not as user friendly and also requires an annual subscription for updates. 

You mean i can activate VIM even with a VCD ?

• 9 months later...

So I have a Micro Can lead stored away from a few years ago (came with my mk2 Leon Cupra). I've just purchased a mk 2 FL Octy VRS and dug out the lead, however having gone on the Ross-Tech site, I've seen its now a legacy product. It does state that lead will work with mk2 platform as well as all the newer Golf, Audi A3/S3 etc platforms. But is this limited features or do I get access to everything the newer leads offer? 

I've got VCDS HEX-CAN which will stay for my oil burners until I jump into the abyss for electric. However, I hear good things about OBD Eleven used on VAG cars for recode adaptations and it's cheaper than VCDS. My older HEX-CAN isn't limited to the number of vehicles like the new VCDS licenses. Although I'm a hobbyist, anything that cripples software would put me off. I see that OBDeleven is 'cloud based'. Updates aren't so important now for my older cars, but if licenses are time limited, self expiring, or need a permanent internet connection to boot up and the thing stops working when I need it, I'd be a bit annoyed. 

Hi, if you want to change some simple things such as needle swept, teardrop function etc. you  might want to consider Carista which is about £40 works with windows or Mac wirelessly and because it’s simple is more user friendly.

best wishes,

john

• 4 weeks later...

The Ross-Tech website does not specifically list any Skoda models.  There is a downloadable compatibility list, but that seems to stop at 2014.

I'm guessing this is just a website update issue, busy with better tasks.

Can someone confirm that the latest package from Gendan will cover Fabia III?

Thanks

On another note, has anyone any experience or knowledge of MaxiECU software?

Edited by NigelC95
Removed silly question after re-reading more of this thread. More silly questions may still exist above.

• 10 months later...

As a HEX+CAN user for years, I have now bit the bullet and bought a 2019 Karoq as my FL II Octy finally died (gutted 😪). Of course time and tech moves on and I now need to upgrade, just for piece of mind, can someone of greater knowledge confirm that the newer HEX-NET dongle will suffice. 

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an official upgrade path from the legacy hex+can interface (or stick the old one on ebay - what are theey woth?) and are the newest v2 versions backwards compatible for the older vag vehicles that are canbus based? Cheers 

IMG_20200202_123752.jpg

IMG_20200202_123835.jpg

Edited by Stevie D

1 hour ago, Stevie D said:

Is there an official upgrade path from the legacy hex+can interface (or stick the old one on ebay - what are theey woth?) and are the newest v2 versions backwards compatible for the older vag vehicles that are canbus based? Cheers

Yes, there are upgrade paths - if you bought your lead from one of the Ross-Tech UK distributors then ask the distributor you bought it from, otherwise contact Ross-Tech direct see Interface Upgrades

Yes, the V2 is fully backwards compatible with all older VAG vehicles as it fully supports single K-line, dual K-line and CAN diagnostics.

Edited by PetrolDave

6 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Yes, there are upgrade paths - if you bought your lead from one of the Ross-Tech UK distributors then ask the distributor you bought it from, otherwise contact Ross-Tech direct see Interface Upgrades

Yes, the V2 is fully backwards compatible with all older VAG vehicles as it fully supports single K-line, dual K-line and CAN diagnostics.

Cheers Dave I'll fire it onto ebay and or fb marketplace and just but the new one - don't recall where i bought it from it was quite a few years years ago! 

I'm planning on buying a diagnostic cable myself.

VCDS seems to be the most popular option, so finding info on using it isn't that hard.

VCP seems to be able to do a bit more, and also seems slightly cheaper (excluding the yearly cost for updates).

I realise VCP is a bit more cumbersome to work with, I wouldn't necessarily consider that a downside myself, I don't mind a bit of tinkering.

The only problem seems being able to find out just how much more cumbersome it is. From what I can find online, there's not that much guidance material available, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

One more thing, as far as I know, if you stop paying the yearly fee to get updates with VCP, you'll just be "stuck" with the latest update you were able to download until you decide to update (and pay) again, so the software won't be unusable. Is my understanding here correct?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My father and I bought a HEX+CAN cable back in ... 2006, and now it seems it is time for an upgrade. Seems it was fine with my 2016 Scirocco, but my newer MQB based Superb has indeed controllers I can't fully read (auto-scan shows errors but no information about them).

I like the idea of having more to play with on the VCP, but having used VCDS for the past 14 years, I know what I'm getting if I were to buy another.

Sell your HEX+CAN cable on eBay - you'll get more than the upgrade price offered.

Then buy either a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET (if you want/need WiFi connectivity) both of these fully support all current models.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys. I was reading topics connected to VCDS and type of interfaces, but I can not find anywhere here or on other place if HEX-CAN is able to communicate with all modules on Superb 12.2016., guess it is 2017. model.

I am having 2.0 TSI 4x4 280 with equipment something like L&K, but no lettering and stitching. It has ACC (160km/h), DCC, Virtual Pedal, Sunsets, High Beam Assist, Blind Spot, Ventilated Seats, Heated seats back.
What is missing from L&K (I think) or full equipment list is Smart Light Assist (and headlights), ACC 210km/h, Canton sound system, Lane Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition.

So I want to enable last two, together with Traffic Jam Assist.

Can somebody tell me if HEX-CAN will be sufficient? On Ross-Tech website it is written it is covering 2015 Skoda Superb 3V. Still it is also written that it does not work with Audi A4 2016,...so I am not sure if it will work or not with all modules.

@Bingodalton - Rosstech say the following about the HEX-CAN:

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT fully support the following vehicles:

• 2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region chassis F7)
  • 2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region chassis F4).
  • 2017+ models (including all MQB-A0 cars such as the SEAT Ibiza KJ)

Given you're looking at a 2017 MQB with plenty of extra modules, I would definitely suggest buying a genuine HEX-V2 to avoid any risk...

• Like 1

The MY15, MY16 and MY17 cars may look the same and broadly function the same but there will be changes to the hardware/software levels of the electronic modules.

To be honest, genuine HEX-CAN USB interfaces really hold their value when second hand. I'd be very surprised if you could get one for less than a new HEX-V2 (3 VIN is ~£225 iirc?).