VCDS what do I need? - READ BEFORE BUYING

SP36

15 hours ago, langers2k said:

To be honest, genuine HEX-CAN USB interfaces really hold their value when second hand. I'd be very surprised if you could get one for less than a new HEX-V2 (3 VIN is ~£225 iirc?).

Very true - last month I sold my genuine HEX-USB+CAN on eBay (other auction sites are available) for £200.

Why did I sell it? - because I had bought a HEX-NET (basically a HEX-V2 plus WiFi).

Edited by PetrolDave

Hi,

Reading this forum, I have just ordered a Chinese version just to give a try.

I'm quite new in this field, but if you are interested about some specific output, let me know.

Edited by Gizmo
Please do not link to fake cables

Be aware that fake cables can and have previously had malware installed and can brick controllers. 

Briskoda does not allow links to pirated software 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Be aware that fake cables can and have previously had malware installed and can brick controllers. 

Briskoda does not allow links to pirated software 

Hi Gimzo,

It was a link to Aliexpress, not pirated SW.

Can you please tell me a definition of "pirated SW" based on what you removed my link to Aliexpress?

Thanks,

Martin

38 minutes ago, talicz said:

Can you please tell me a definition of "pirated SW" based on what you removed my link to Aliexpress?

If a cable comes with a CD of the English version of VCDS - then that is 99.999999999999999999999999% a hacked pirated copy.

Genuine VCDS cables do NOT come with an English CD as it's free to download for life.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 16:08, talicz said:

Hi Gimzo,

It was a link to Aliexpress, not pirated SW.

Thanks,

Martin

Further to the explanation given by @PetrolDave Ross-Tech only use authorised distributers for their VCDS interfaces:

https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

Anything else is going to be hacked software.

Actually looking at the link it’s a hacked version of VCP and not even VCDS and do you really expect to get (a non hacked) version for £10?? 

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Folks - please ~please~ do not download cheap chinese knock-offs for the Ross-tech system.  Especially if you have a newish car - you can brick you car unintentionally and a lot of the early versions of the "knocked-off" or pirated Ross-tech software won't work with modern cars.  I know that folk think that Skoda's are cheap and some people have that mentality still, but you will cause damage - your 'purchaser' of the 'knocked-off' VCDS system will disappear when hard-questions are asked and you will be left with expensive repair bills.

Please....just don't.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Looking for traffic sign recognition to be enacted on a 2020 Superb with the camera and lanecassist fitted.

from what I read ut needs a SWaP coding?

can the Ross tech do this? Obdeleven cannot 

Is it a third way forward for SWaP?

• 1 month later...

Where do you get original HEX-V2 for 225 pounds???  I look at https://www.valuegarageequipment.com/product/hex-v2-intelligent-dual-k-plus-can/, where I have been taken by link from registered redistributor V-Tech and it's 385 or something ridiculous as that... And direct from US it's $275

I do own original Hex-CAN, and will be buying new interface as in few months will be replacing my SII with SIII (think 2017) due to ULEZ - otherwise would not entertaing swap at all :devil:

• 7 months later...

I'm looking to get a used Hex-net but was just wondering how common are fake hex-net devices. I've seen lots of Hex-v2 fakes, some asking for over £100 used!

I've had a look on sites like Aliexpress and cant see any fake hex-nets on there. So hoping that going for a hex-net will reduce the risk of buy a fake device. 

Buying a genuine device from an authorised dealer will ensure it’s not a fake. As has already been said, the residual values of the products are so good, the difference between new and (genuine) used is so small, buying new is worth it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about buying myself a 2nd hand VCDs HEX-V2, I really cannot afford to purchase a new one, being retired now, and the current economic climate has considerably devalued my private pension plan. I can understand the reasons about buying genuine lead/interfaces, so with that in mind, how can I detect a clone from a genuine one? Also I keep seeing references being made to VIN's and also DTCs but reading the downloaded manual from Ross Tech I can find nothing that provides any further information on these terms, can anyone throw any light on these for me?

"DTC, short for Diagnostic Trouble Code, is a code used to diagnose malfunctions in a vehicle or heavy equipment."

VIN I can only think refers to scanners that automatically pick up the vehicle's VIN - but I could be wrong, often am. 😉

You can see battery voltages too, but which tool to believe, the scanner, digital multimeter, battery charger and maintainer, alternator readings.  🤣

VCDS isn't the only fruit there are more user-friendly machines and programs about and IIRC(?) VCDS Light Not-as-Heavy Lite isn't that a free(?) App and £20 for a suitable non-genuine lead that covers most diagnostics and you can buy extra programming for fiddling with things or other stuff.  All beyond me I've only borrowed a very simple and easy to use scanner - to sound horn for 1s or brake lights for 5s, press 'buttons' on screen, very old cars sometimes had to put the VIN in sometimes.

Hope the light was bright enough, battery power's down a bit, alternator must be faulty. 😁

• Like 1

I don't think that VIN's refers to the car VIN number because many of these on offer in the 2nd hand market say that they either come with so may VIN's left or they come with unlimited VIN's etc. I think it must be something to do with the ability to input parameters into the ECU's or support requests etc.

Fair enough, it's the only VIN I can think of, you plug a decent machine in and it finds the vehicle's VIN automatically, the one I borrow has IIRC 155 different vehicle manufacturers across the world many of which I've never heard of, last update was for a Maybach, being, German and Merc I bet there's a lot of very big update files just about every time one is worked on.

For all I know with VW's very legacy system VIN could mean Volkswagen Inscrutable Numeric.

Vin was always the bloke you avoided if he'd had a few drinks but I don't think VW knew of him.

I've got a feeling a mate took a photo of the VIN plate on a car and got its info from that through his "smart" phone, if I remember I'll ask him when I see him Friday if that's right or I dreamt it.

I've now gone as dim as a TocH lamp.

12 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

I don't think that VIN's refers to the car VIN number

It does refer to the vehicles VIN number.

Modern VCDS cables come in 3 versions, 1 most expensive for businesses which can be used on any number of vehicles and 2 cheaper aimed at enthusiasts which have a limit (3 or 10) of the number of different vehicles they can be used with. They detect the vehicle by using the VIN that they read from the vehicle electronics, and remember that whenever you make changes to settings - note NOT when you just scan a vehicle or clear fault codes (DTCs).

So when you read "2 VINs left" that means they bought a limited version of the cable, and have used it on either 1 or 8 vehicles depending on whether they bought a 3 or 10 VIN limited version. Note that for security reasons previous VINs cannot be cleared or read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

It does refer to the vehicles VIN number.

Modern VCDS cables come in 3 versions, 1 most expensive for businesses which can be used on any number of vehicles and 2 cheaper aimed at enthusiasts which have a limit (3 or 10) of the number of different vehicles they can be used with. They detect the vehicle by using the VIN that they read from the vehicle electronics, and remember that whenever you make changes to settings - note NOT when you just scan a vehicle or clear fault codes (DTCs).

So when you read "2 VINs left" that means they bought a limited version of the cable, and have used it on either 1 or 8 vehicles depending on whether they bought a 3 or 10 VIN limited version. Note that for security reasons previous VINs cannot be cleared or read.

Are that makes sense and explains why some adverts say 3 VINs used, or unlimited VINs, thank you.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

I have been chasing sorting multiple lighting issues for a while now, and have decided I need a Scan tool

I have followed links on this page and from the Gendan Automotive Products site, saw the Foxwell ND680pro

I am looking at a multi make compatible purchase, as apart from my Skoda (2010 octavia combi CFHC), I have BMW, Jeep and Isuzu vehicles which do or may need its attention, and I don't want to keep buying expensive kit

My question here is (please refer to screen shot attached), does my octavia use the UDS/ODX protocols relating to the oils service reset functionality of this tool?

Is there anything VCDC system diagnostics can do, which can't be done on this multi vehicle reader?

e.g. can I re-code a replacement BCM with both of these options

I am new to this any advice greatfully received  

great forum guys, TIA

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 08.54.28.png

• 1 month later...

I’ve not managed to make much sense of the Ross Tech website so thought someone here might know…

I’ve currently got a Ross Tech HEX + CAN lead which I was using in my previous Octavia Mk3. 

Would this lead work on a 2019/2020 Karoq or would I need something more up to date?

1 hour ago, grmtylr said:

I’ve not managed to make much sense of the Ross Tech website so thought someone here might know…

I’ve currently got a Ross Tech HEX + CAN lead which I was using in my previous Octavia Mk3. 

Would this lead work on a 2019/2020 Karoq or would I need something more up to date?

Details for the HEX+CAN:

image.png.d3ac2d5e8698aad0e17657cddf4cf01d.png

On a 2019/2020 car, I'd expect a HEX+CAN to be able to access some modules but not all :)

For full compatibility, you'd need to upgrade to a newer interface like a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Details for the HEX+CAN:

image.png.d3ac2d5e8698aad0e17657cddf4cf01d.png

On a 2019/2020 car, I'd expect a HEX+CAN to be able to access some modules but not all :)

For full compatibility, you'd need to upgrade to a newer interface like a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

Thank you. 

I’ll have to take a look at the newer interfaces and see what the prices are like. 
My old Microsoft Surface that I only kept for running VCDS is almost dead so it may be time to move on and go for something like OBD11 if I’m to replace it. 

Interestingly, it appears that the old HEX + CAN units are actually worth something secondhand so it might not be as bad as I thought having to upgrade! 

Edited by grmtylr

On 05/11/2023 at 10:08, grmtylr said:

I’ll have to take a look at the newer interfaces and see what the prices are like.

Ross-Tech and their UK distributors do an upgrade option which is worth looking at.

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2023 at 13:02, PetrolDave said:

Ross-Tech and their UK distributors do an upgrade option which is worth looking at.

I've just been in touch with the place I bought my cable.

They can offer £100 trade in against the HEX - V2 but only on the 10 VIN version so it's essentially £100 off a £300 lead.

The old ones are often up on eBay for around the £300 mark so I'll not be going with the trade in.