Is the Superb too big?

I like the way the Superb looks and could even consider it to replace my BMW in 2-3 years time. My concern is that its practicality is as much as a gift as it's a curse. 

Do you find it clumsy for darting from shops to shops?

Does your other half like the car, do they drive it? 

Thanks

It's only clumsy when you try to get through the doors of the shops, other than that it's very nimble and easy to park.

I dare say a lot of women on the forum will find that their other half does drive and like the car!

• Like 1

It is big, but cavernous for the overall dimensions. Anyway, it parks itself (with the necessary equipment) so not a problem. A smaller car is more nimble but once you add the trailer to transport all the stuff that could have been in the car, it’s less so.

It is very long - I find that it overhangs most supermarket parking spaces. 

I am disappointed with the amount of legroom in the front, however.  My old Passat B7 had a lot more. 

• Like 1

Whatever the willy-waving blokes say, it is a very big car and without park assist can be a pain to park in todays' ever-shrinking spaces. I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off, but be under no illusion - it's a big, long car and can't be thrown into a space in the same way a fiesta can.

We'll be competing over who can take the hottest chilli next.... :D

3 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

It is very long - I find that it overhangs most supermarket parking spaces. 

I am disappointed with the amount of legroom in the front, however.  My old Passat B7 had a lot more. 

Agree with your first comment. Stunned by your second - how long are your bl**dy legs?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Compared to my Mark II I find the Mk III more compact and easier to park even though slightly longer and wider...if that makes sense. 

That said I always park as far away as I can from everyone else and walk the few extra miles to the supermarket front door..

The key thing is do you need all the room? Having moved up from a C class Merc estate and spent 6 years in a superb I couldn't go back to that size of an estate car. The Superb  estate swallows everything I put into it from Ikea flatpack to garden waste. Brilliant for touring holidays or a nip to the shops.

The (big) dog is lost in the back. On wet days I just put him in the boot and he goes for a walk himself.

My other half doesn't drive it...but not through choice. :dry:

It's almost two feet longer than the car I drove previously. The rear wheels track inside the fronts on a sharp turn, which can catch you out on left-handers. More than once, I've made the corner only for the left rear wheel to ride up over the curb. Once (documented elsewhere) I pulled to the curb only to knock the front bumper off a car with my left rear tyre. No mishaps since July, so I'm learning...

Parking is not a problem, especially with the front and rear sensors and rear camera. And the dipping near side mirror is very useful.

even though its longer and wider, i manoeuvre mine like i did with my MK2 Octavia RS.

it doesn't feel like i'm driving a big car, even though it is big.

Thanks for the replies everyone. They are much appreciated.

One of the longest car I have driven is the current BMW 7-Series. the long wheelbase one, the G12. Despite its size and sticking out of parking spaces it was nimble and easy to drive at low speeds unlike my friend’s 2017 Range Rover which is tiring and heavy to drive about. Obviously the surround view camera made a huge difference in parking or placing the 7-Series with millimetres precision. 

My 2016 BMW X3, which was complimented with a Fabia(I have caught the ŠKODA bug) this year, is of a good size but has a poor turning radius and heavy steering at low speed. I am contemplating replacing it with the Superb for more interior room but also to bring monthly payments down once I know child number two is on their way.

To to those who have who have parking assist, in what situations do you use the feature and how good is it?  I live in Kent which is lovely but many parking lots and multi-storey complex aren’t big car friendly. Some curbs are like alloy magnets.

Edited by Crassus

I came from a Mazda 3 and I was surprised just how little the Superb felt once inside the driving seat, not that it isn't spacious or a big car. I feel like nose is small and the driver sits close to the front with all the size behind. It's odd. My Mazda 3 felt all front with less size behind. Just felt odd at first.

There's probably no difference but for me the Superb feels slightly out of proportion.

All in all I find it no more difficult to manoeuvre than the Mazda.

FYI I only have rear sensors, no issues parking in all situations, visibility is good, with front end being small easy to judge distance, etc.

Edited by Matt_FW

Felt biggish at first, even after my early version Mazda 6 but fine now and with my creaking neck the reversing camera is brilliant, likewise the dropping rear view mirror.  Every car should have them and they are increasingly adopted.

7 hours ago, freelunch said:

It's almost two feet longer than the car I drove previously. The rear wheels track inside the fronts on a sharp turn, which can catch you out on left-handers. More than once, I've made the corner only for the left rear wheel to ride up over the curb. Once (documented elsewhere) I pulled to the curb only to knock the front bumper off a car with my left rear tyre. No mishaps since July, so I'm learning...

Parking is not a problem, especially with the front and rear sensors and rear camera. And the dipping near side mirror is very useful.

Rear wheels track inside the front wheels on all cars, longer wheelbase means it is more pronounced.  You should try driving a LWB Sprinter, 22 feet plus long and very long wheel base.

I learned on my father's Volvo 144 so used to long cars.

The length of the Superb doesn't worry me (but we have found car park spaces in France 2 feet shorter than the car), when we first got it I was very conscious of the width moving up from and Octavia - don't really notice now.

My wife won't drive it, but then she didn't drive (in order) the previous Octavia or Passat and only drove the preceding Octavia once (2 miles) and Accord (10 feet).  

I started a thread last night saying how my Superb feels really small after returning from the states...

The car is not an issue to park, plus its not even that wide compared to others.

It's only when you park next to an A6 Avant or an S class that you realise just how big the Superb 3 is, though it doesn't make it any more difficult to park and use around town.  You just have to be very selective of parking spaces and just don't go down that 3ft wide, one way street just because the sat nav says so. 

I've had smaller cars that had poor visibility (even with a reverse camera) that were noticeably more difficult to park.

Admittedly, I still grab the keys to my wifes Fiesta when I need to park up on the High St on market day! :D

Edited by penguin17

15 hours ago, Ashmount said:

That said I always park as far away as I can from everyone else and walk the few extra miles to the supermarket front door..

I do exactly the same, but it doesn't stop someone else from parking right next to me, in an otherwise empty car park :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, daveo138 said:

I do exactly the same, but it doesn't stop someone else from parking right next to me, in an otherwise empty car park :angry:

Every bloody time! 

Was in the car with my sister* on Saturday, we had just parked up..

Her - "shall I phone a taxi?"

Me -  "taxi? why?"

Her - "to take us to the shop!" :D

*going shopping with your sister on a Saturday ?!  I honestly have more personality and social life than that statement would indicate...honest

51 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Every bloody time! 

Was in the car with my sister* on Saturday, we had just parked up..

Her - "shall I phone a taxi?"

Me -  "taxi? why?"

Her - "to take us to the shop!" :D

*going shopping with your sister on a Saturday ?!  I honestly have more personality and social life than that statement would indicate...honest

It's the same as Mrs G driving and Parking next to the Kerb, I get out passenger side and almost get hit by a bus................

4 hours ago, daveo138 said:

Had a colleague in the civil service. He came into work on a Saturday morning for some ICT maintenance and parked in a 200 space car park. The only car.

Looked out the window later and saw another car had parked right next to him. Building closed at lunchtime and both drivers walked out together wished each other good-bye started their cars and managed to collide with one another driving off. He  took a photos because he said when he went home and told his wife she wouldn't believe him.

And they say there's safety in numbers...

I think other car owners are unto us and park beside us deliberately. 

I'm also sad enough that I know every parking bay in my local shopping round which is that bit bigger than the rest because the guys painting the lines can't fit two spaces into the last bit of tarmac. I could answer quiz questions on it. I've also been known to drive around a supermarket car park and seeing no spaces that suit me, then leave.

Parking the Superb...don't get me started...oh, you have :sadsmile:

As a blue badge holder I do get slightly larger parking spaces, but... other drivers will still park 3" off my driver's door. As a wheelchair user this is more than a little annoying.

It is long but I checked width before ordering and it was basically the same wing mirror to wing mirror as our Renault Megane.  

I do have a scuff on the rear bumper from a supermarket car park.  Someone must have not been paying attention and swiped the one sticking out a bit.

The Superb is a big car. 

In tight places, like parking garages, much attention is required, and the proximity sensors make thing worse...

It is longer than my Jeep the weighs one ton more...  

It is a great highway cruiser, it is not for cruising downtown. 

I still have a MKII Superb and do I find it difficult to park - not really - but I used to drive a MKIV Zodiac , now that was a big car! Saying that if i'm popping into town I usually jump into her little Fiat Panda - fit's into gaps  few other cars can fit in.

My wife has thus far only driven it once!

It's a horse for a course though. Would I drive the Panda on a long run - er no , it's not that comfortable for me (6ft 4") , carries verry little luggage, noisy at speed , is blown around by lorriies and uses a suprising amount of petrol at speed (sub 40 with a 1.2 - Superb 1.4 does nearly 50 on the same)  

Today , cruised up the M1, M18 & M62 with three adults (two over 6ft 4") and a boot/back seat full of stuff - The Superb was perfect for this .

In the future when I retire we'll probably just run one car so I will need a compromise. I nearly bought a Yeti but found the boot too small, keeping an eye on the Karoq though. The Superb's refinment is a hard act to follow as well , we shall see.....

Edited by bigjohn