Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

I followed @IanW5177
lead and  downloaded from the scdb site for 10 quid per year. Was a doddle to install and works well. Gives discreet audible warning just ahead of speed camera.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else tried @DamianW approach using the POIBase application, and have they had any success - my PocketGPS world sub finished not long ago and i'm happy to renew and pay the 5quid for the app but i'd like to be sure it all works ok?

@broknspyrl Yes, usual camera type icon, the audio warning isn't too distinct - a bit like the freebie one described in earlier posts.

Did say I would update on this but some personal issues got in the way.

Cool, thanks and no worries we are due to go for a trip and wanted to update the maps, suddenly thought i hadn't updated the Speed Cams for a while - so glad i checked.  I hope all is ok with the personal issues now.

In reply to the traffic comment, i don't know about others but i have found it to be pretty reliable - of course there have been incidents which have happened just as we approach or within a few minutes, and the system has for the most part not known then and there, but i'm ok with that because i'm not sure that even TomTom would know!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broknspyrl said:

@WolfK do you also get a visible marker on the map too like we used to when using the "MyPOI" approach?

Yep, see photo. It shows speed cameras at traffic lights with a traffic light icon rather than a camera icon.

IMG_20200709_161950.jpg

On 09/07/2020 at 17:13, WolfK said:

Yep, see photo. It shows speed cameras at traffic lights with a traffic light icon rather than a camera icon.

IMG_20200709_161950.jpg

@WolfK Odd, i loaded it but don't get the traffic light camera icon, it looks like it didn't correctly load the icon packs, i can see you have a Columbus, did you use the Card 2 set to load (the POIs appear to have imported ok - checked a couple of local cameras) but the images for traffic lights don't

On 09/07/2020 at 17:13, WolfK said:

IMG_20200709_161950.jpg

are these radars difficult to install? are they only for uk or all of europe? if you buy then you use 1 year ?? and what next? what's next?

@kacluk Honestly, this was a doddle to install, i tried the sample file to make sure it worked (and it did), i then paid the subscription fee and downloaded the full file - it imported really simply from a USB stick and they show up, along with the subtle tone and images (although per my questions above re. the red light cam stands).

On 11/07/2020 at 17:53, broknspyrl said:

@WolfK Odd, i loaded it but don't get the traffic light camera icon, it looks like it didn't correctly load the icon packs, i can see you have a Columbus, did you use the Card 2 set to load (the POIs appear to have imported ok - checked a couple of local cameras) but the images for traffic lights don't

Yes, I used sd card 2 slot.

Go into Navigation - Settings - Map - POI - Show POIs and then there are suboptions where you can select which ones you want to see, fixed, mobile, traffic light. Also tick next sub option. Something to do with brand icons, can't remember exactly.

On 12/07/2020 at 15:54, kacluk said:

are they only for uk or all of europe? if you buy then you use 1 year ?? and what next? what's next?

They cover 59 (I think) countries so Europe and then some I think.  If it's like TomTom the cameras stay on but you can't update them so they may go out of date and not warn of any new sites.

Also found on the site that the audible warning is set by the actual satnav system NOT the camera file.

Edited by IanW5177
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just switched from a 2017 Octavia with an Amundsen MIB2 to a shiny new Kodiaq with the Columbus.

I have read through the thread but there seems to be a range of different conversations and overlaps going on!

Unless I am wrong there seems to be 2 different sources of Speed Camera databases for use with POIs. Some people seem to be using the SCDB ones and others seem to be using the PocketGPSWorld ones. Which is the best/easiest? I'm happy to pay for the speed camera updates themselves and POI Base or some other software for Windows to process them. I just want to be able to have confidence in the DB and be able to update as often as I want.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, spinnaker said:

Hi all, I have just switched from a 2017 Octavia with an Amundsen MIB2 to a shiny new Kodiaq with the Columbus.

I have read through the thread but there seems to be a range of different conversations and overlaps going on!

Unless I am wrong there seems to be 2 different sources of Speed Camera databases for use with POIs. Some people seem to be using the SCDB ones and others seem to be using the PocketGPSWorld ones. Which is the best/easiest? I'm happy to pay for the speed camera updates themselves and POI Base or some other software for Windows to process them. I just want to be able to have confidence in the DB and be able to update as often as I want.

Cheers!

Just wondering why you are asking this question in the Superb section when you say your new car is a Kodiaq?:hi:

On 12/11/2018 at 23:01, byteme said:

Best and safest option folks, don't speed.

Nice advice .. But try to do it in Germany, for example ..

When I last drove a BMW 3.0 diesel there over 150 miles, I was overtaken anyway: D and you never know where the radar can be and it's easy to forget yourself.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just wondering why you are asking this question in the Superb section when you say your new car is a Kodiaq?:hi:

That is a valid point but this seems to be the master guide for Columbus sat navs across the forums I believe.

Thanks for having me, good to be here!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hi  Spinnaker I have been watching the forum to get POIs on the Columbus. I have a lifetime membership of PocketGPSworld. Is there now a way of getting their speed cams on the Columbus please?

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

@spinnaker @Fairgame

Columbus warns when is too late
Waze is must have! for active driving

Thanks... Definitely worth knowing. I only added the POIs yesterday and I haven’t ventured out near speed cameras since.

So you feel you are too close to be able to take any action?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 09:59, Fairgame said:

Hi  Spinnaker I have been watching the forum to get POIs on the Columbus. I have a lifetime membership of PocketGPSworld. Is there now a way of getting their speed cams on the Columbus please?

Hi Fairgame

Sorry, missed this last week. I ended up using the guide in the link below which uses the 5 EURO functionality in the POIbase program. Follow the instructions and you should be well away.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=164455

• 2 months later...
On 05/08/2020 at 09:59, Fairgame said:

• 1 month later...