What annoyed you today?

Aspman

45 miles-per-hour to55ers on A roads again. 45 on the 60 bits, 45 on the 30 bits, 20 miles of that was starting to grate by the time I turned off for home.

If you were driving a black Focus Mk2 on the A158 around 11AM  this morning ...This Means YOU!!!

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CWARD said:

Is there no access panel in the wheel arch

You'd think there would be wouldn't you - those clever Japanese...   but nope...   the handbook says remove fasteners holding the arch liner on, peel it back and stick your hand through the gap to access the bulb!

Needless to say, given I have it up for sale, it's sods law I now have someone coming to look at it tomorrow morning so I need to get it done first thing...

I did have a look at going in from the top but that will involve removing the expansion tank and washer reservoir spout and even then I think it only gives access to the HID dipped unit...   the indicators are further outboard!

Edited by skomaz

I know some like the BMW Mini have a twist off access panel in the wheel arch liner whilst others such as the original Ford Ka.

You’d have thought manufacturers would have progressed but I guess it comes down to penny pinching too

The radar detector on the Bear deciding that a humb back bridge was a threatening object that demanded an emergency stop. Great idea but needs refinement.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jfhuk said:

The radar detector on the Bear deciding that a humb back bridge was a threatening object that demanded an emergency stop. Great idea but needs refinement.

Serious issue this, sounds like no real harm done today, but under different conditions, eg. had there been snow on the road or a car travelling too close behind there could have been a very different outcome.

On 10/08/2018 at 16:50, Jfhuk said:

Sheesh, thats a bit scary. On my BMW I've got the warning set to 'early', I've had the red light flicker up a few times on traffic island signs etc but it soon realises it's not a threat. I've never had an issue with it braking at something that isnt a problem though thankfully.

2 hours ago, XLBaconDoubleCheese said:

Sheesh, thats a bit scary. On my BMW I've got the warning set to 'early', I've had the red light flicker up a few times on traffic island signs etc but it soon realises it's not a threat. I've never had an issue with it braking at something that isnt a problem though thankfully.

Certainly was, I went over it today again and it was fine, something must of spooked it, but I’ve no idea what it was

940222124_AwkwardMomentSeal13082018210923.jpg.d3a3730fd7a6f513f57505aefd1f8007.jpg

Goddam it...

It was my own fault, tbf, i know what triggers the fault, and i let it happen...

Driving a diesel with basically no turbo  until a safe spot to pull in and cycle the ignition to reset the fault is not fun though!

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:49, skomaz said:

You'd think there would be wouldn't you - those clever Japanese...   but nope...   the handbook says remove fasteners holding the arch liner on, peel it back and stick your hand through the gap to access the bulb!

Needless to say, given I have it up for sale, it's sods law I now have someone coming to look at it tomorrow morning so I need to get it done first thing...

I did have a look at going in from the top but that will involve removing the expansion tank and washer reservoir spout and even then I think it only gives access to the HID dipped unit...   the indicators are further outboard!

So this took me an hour and a half in the end...   no way in from the top and not just the liner to remove - also the wheel arch trim (which also holds the liner on) plus part of the undertray and you then need midget hands with long fingers to get through the gap created and between the inner bodywork, cables and the washer bottle to undo the bulb.  It's then fiddle it out and turn it round enough (with not enough spare cable) to remove the bulb.

Absolutely the most difficult, and painful! bulb replacement I have ever had to do!

Idiot mother and son in a red A series Mercedes in Eton who drove on the wrong side of the road and expected us to find some way to get out of their way. Yes we have a reverse gear and know how to use it whilst you threaten us with violence. Thames Valley Police have our video of you’re behaviour.

having to re-rabbit-proof the garden as one of ours has decided that she can climb up the gap bertween a water butt, hutch and garage wall to get on top of her hutch and thence onto the other's higher hutch and thence onto a retainng wall to make a bid for freedom!

Welded wire mesh and fencing timber plus screw and U-nails are my friends today...

Was polishing my car with my rotary today and i cut through an edge, was so annoyed with my self that i stopped halfway through the detail, now ordered some touch up paint to make it look a bit better once it arrives

I'm currently revamping the Bathroom ( I've had the suite in the garage for 3 years!) - I've had fun and games with  a couple of "click and collect" orders that have caused a bit of extra work. First lot of stuff (tiles and some aquapanel). The tiles were "in stock" at local Wickes (409 available!) so ordered everything from there - next morning had a call telling me that they didn't have enough tiles but had everything else.  They checked and the next nearest had all the tiles but not everything thing else. So, I cancelled the tiles and reordered them from the other branch. Finally, after a bit of running around we had all of the stuff. 

Next problem was we ordered some tile trim from B&Q from our nearest branch (plenty of stock again on the website) only to have a call half an hour later that there wasn't any stock. As it was quite cheap (£5 2.4m metal) we ordered it from the next nearest branch - collection went fine. 

Finally, and not the least, two of the boxes of tiles that were picked were different batches from the rest and were slightly bigger than the other ones, noticed after I had put half a box on the wall and wondering why the grout line were all out :( .  Removed and complained to Wickes who replaced the two boxes without any bother. I really should have checked the batch numbers myself - but foolishly thought that picker might have done it. Anyway a bit behind on the schedule now.

Spent 2 1/2 hrs this afternoon doing cleaning up and hoovering in the old house.

Then had to run home, change and go to parents in law's for dinner as it was FIL's birthday.

Legged it back home at 6, emptied the car of what came out of old house. 

Back into sweaty cold work clothes, and back to the old house to cut grass and other stuff..

Just in now!

But, while theres 3 small things left to do, its ready for photographing..  tomorrow... !

I bought a Mitsubishi Shogun with good service history and masses of receipts to back it up.

The rear discs and pads were replaced in December 2017 along with work to free the sticking rear callipers as per the garage invoice. I was surprised when the rear callipers were getting so hot that you could see smoke coming from them less than 3,000 miles later. Removing the callipers and the inner pads were nearly worn out, a few millimetres at most. The pistons wouldn't retract due to rust, they also had marks like they been hit with a hammer and one of the dust boots had been glued together. I don't recommend that garage to anyone.

I now have the parts to rebuild the callipers so it's another job to do.

I've been servicing the car today even though it was only done in January 2018 by Halfords.  All the under carriage protection plates were a sod to get off due to rust, which delayed the job. Surprised to find the sump plug was solid too and needed heat to remove but I know the garages suck oil through the dipstick now so could explain why it hadn't been removed in a long time. Put a new sump bolt and washer back in and tried to remove the oil filter, which was also solid. I had to resort to a clamp tool to remove it and in doing so split the contents of the filter all down my arm, onto my face and then soaked up with my coveralls but at least I had the filter off. Emptying the remaining contents of oil from the filter and I can see a date written on it, the date was 14/06/16 the last time it was serviced by a main dealer. Halfords had done the last two services and somehow not changed the oil filter. The oil was so dirty and thick that I suspect that hadn't been changed either. Took me nearly as long to clean myself up as to perform the service.

I've still got the coolant, axles, transfer box and gear box to drain and renew. I can't wait to see what new horrors I will find.

@CWARD Hope youre doing the fuel filter too if its diesel. Father-in-law's shougun wouldnt start, or did and ran for a few seconds. Turned out that when I took the fuel filter off the inside was more like an oil filter! Full on dark brown strands of gunk, it had never been changed in 20 years :blink: turned it into a totally different car after that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robt100 said:

@CWARD Hope youre doing the fuel filter too if its diesel. Father-in-law's shougun wouldnt start, or did and ran for a few seconds. Turned out that when I took the fuel filter off the inside was more like an oil filter! Full on dark brown strands of gunk, it had never been changed in 20 years :blink: turned it into a totally different car after that.

Yes, I had done the fuel filter too. That was one of the easier jobs. The water sensor at the bottom of filter had a coating of what looked like rust so may not have been changed for a while. I’ve filled her up on diesel and added Archoil AR6400d, which I’ve used before on other diesels with great effect. 

I've still got the rear brake calipers to rebuild and coolant to flush and change over this weekend and hopefully it will be a different car after that. 

I'll also do the axles, transfer and auto gearbox as soon as I find a garage ramp to hire. I’ll have peace of mind then that it’ll be good for many years to come. 

What annoyed me today. The member of my team that seems to think she's the CEO and not a clerical and is going out of her way to be a PITA to everyone.

She doesn't want to be here she says, I want to retire but I can't. Well I can't sort out retirement but I'll do my best to sort out the 'being here' bit as fast as I can.

• Like 3

Audiot - Falling over it whenever there was a corner or on-coming traffic on single-track, and unable to overtake (even vaguely legally) on double track for about 8 miles, then the {censored} suddenly pulls over on single track, and proceeds to follow everyone in the queue at our speed.

4 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Audiot - Falling over it whenever there was a corner or on-coming traffic on single-track, and unable to overtake (even vaguely legally) on double track for about 8 miles, then the {censored} suddenly pulls over on single track, and proceeds to follow everyone in the queue at our speed.

Sounds like a typical day in Cornwall. You just need to add the old dear coming in the other direction on the single track road  who expects five cars, two tractors and a combine harvester to reverse to get out of her way.

Edited by Jfhuk
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

52 minutes ago, Jfhuk said:

Sounds like a typical day in Cornwall. You just need to add the old dear coming in the other direction on the single track road  who expects five cars, two tractors and a combine harvester to reverse to get out of her way.

Or the eejit that comes barreling down the single track road ignoring the passing places forcing everyone to drive/dive onto a verge to avoid them

• Sad 1