What annoyed you today?

Aspman

4 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Welcome to today's world. My sone wanted a multitool in order to enlarge a cutout in his kitchen worktop to fit a new hob unit, popped round to the massive B&Q store, zero stock held of them, only available online, so he purchased a jigsaw instead

Was that for something to do whilst they get new stock in? (How many pieces)

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Haha 3
  • Cheeky 1

News reports.

300 missiles and drones  & missiles fired at Israel.   99% of those shot down by Allied Partners.

That would be 1 in a 100 having not been shot down.  Is that not just 3 ?

Why would they then say or report that around 120 ballistic missiles got through?

17 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

I have a pair of small toenail scissors in our cutlery drawer to solve this problem. 

I gave an involuntary squirm when I read this bit :) 

• Haha 1

Having to reprogram all my radio station pre-sets after they mysteriously disappeared overnight. 😖 Even the daylight saving time of day has re-set itself to winter.

What gives? 

This is the second time during my time with the car that it's done this.

10 hours ago, Rooted said:

News reports.

300 missiles and drones  & missiles fired at Israel.   99% of those shot down by Allied Partners.

That would be 1 in a 100 having not been shot down.  Is that not just 3 ?

Why would they then say or report that around 120 ballistic missiles got through?

Apparently, part of the defence system prioritises, based on where the missiles will strike. If they are going to miss any populous areas, they can choose to let them land and explode. I guess it saves on defence weapons. 

Fair enough.

No need to lie then if they left some alone. 

This is the issue, untruths, misleading and media reporting what they are told and people just sooking in the guff.    'The right to self defence'.

Did the UK,s skilled pilots actually save their resources by letting the no danger to anyone missiles just keep heading on?

Screenshot 2024-04-15 07.17.54.png

On 14/04/2024 at 11:16, Rooted said:

The nuclear deterrent.

Here we go again, another instance where having a nuclear weapon is no deterrent whatsoever.

Israel is one of the few nuclear countries, in fact it's the only country in the middle east with Nuclear capabilities. It didn't stop Saddam from launching scud missles. which at the time the scaremongers said were equipped with chemical warheads, and it never stopped Iran from launching 300 missiles and dronesthe other day.

For the past 40 years I've been trying to work out the point of spending billions on nuclear weapons and I'm no nearer an answer. We've cut down on personel and equipment yet keep spending money on a weapon we can't  use. 🤪.

Can someone please explain to me the point of having a nuclear weapon?    If it was a deterrent, then logically wouldn't it make sense to equip every country with a nuclear weapon? 

The only positive thing to come from nuclear weapons was Dr Strangelove - one of my favorite films.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

The nuclear deterrent.

Here we go again, another instance where having a nuclear weapon is no deterrent whatsoever.

Israel is one of the few nuclear countries, in fact it's the only country in the middle east with Nuclear capabilities. It didn't stop Saddam from launching scud missles. which at the time the scaremongers said were equipped with chemical warheads, and it never stopped Iran from launching 300 missiles and dronesthe other day.

For the past 40 years I've been trying to work out the point of spending billions on nuclear weapons and I'm no nearer an answer. We've cut down on personel and equipment yet keep spending money on a weapon we can't  use. 🤪.

Can someone please explain to me the point of having a nuclear weapon?    If it was a deterrent, then logically wouldn't it make sense to equip every country with a nuclear weapon? 

The only positive thing to come from nuclear weapons was Dr Strangelove - one of my favorite films.

it is what it says

A Nuclear deterrent.

Not an anything deterrent.

Nuclear weapons have only been used once  in hostilities and that was by the US

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

The nuclear deterrent.

as a race the rich polictical ,religious motivated ones among us tend to be feckin morons .

• Like 3

The UK fires blanks & can not be sure where they will head and pays the USA for the pleasure.

The new stuff is coming. Sometime. That will be another waste of money. 

Built and moored someplace in England hopefully and with a clear up of all the stuff left on the west coast of Scotland and at Rosyth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTandSid said:

Petty I know by comparison but on a more local level . . . parking at the local hospital. Had to go for an X-ray, a walk-in service so you’ve no idea how long you’ll be. No good calling ahead as they won’t know either just how busy they’ll be at any point.

Park up, walk to meter, not working. Next meter is. Reckoning on 15mins to X-ray department, waiting could be 30mins, X-ray then back to the car, could be done in an hour. However if I’m 5mins over  . . . . so let’s pay for 2 hours, £2:50. In the end, in and out inside 40 mins as no one else in the department 👍 Robbing b🤬ds these car park managers, printing money. Can’t pass the ticket to anyone else as it’s got the registration on it. 
I know it’s only £2:50 so no big deal, it’s the principle; wouldn’t mind if the hospital saw the money rather than some company who do nothing to earn the fees 24/7/365

I've said it before & I'll say it again, charging for parking at hospitals is a tax on the sick. 

38 years ago when we moved out of London to our current location parking at the local hospital & city centre was free. Not now.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

6 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

I've said it before & I'll say it again, charging for parking at hospitals is a tax on the sick. 

38 years ago when we moved out of London to our current location parking at the local hospital & city centre was free. Not now.

Don't forget about the NHS staff who also have to pay every day they work there (if they drive to work)

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

5 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

The whole thing is disgusting in opinion. 

I have been tempted on occasion (where I know we supply the broadband lines to the machines at a specific site) to disable them before visiting but have resisted as that would be unethical ;o)

27 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I have been tempted on occasion (where I know we supply the broadband lines to the machines at a specific site) to disable them before visiting but have resisted as that would be unethical ;o)

Most people would thank you for doing that 😉

• Haha 1

Imagine how many miles away you would have to park if the hospital car parks were still free?

10 hours ago, BTandSid said:

wouldn’t mind if the hospital saw the money rather than some company who do nothing to earn the fees 24/7/365

It is naive to think that the parking company do not pay an obscene amount of money to the hospital trust for the right to run the car park, yes their exploitation will be making them probably an even more obscene amount of money.

In France parking is free at A&E for 12 or 24 hours, maybe less, I dont know as my visits have been by ambulance, there is a barrier and you have to be buzzed in by security staff.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Imagine how many miles away you would have to park if the hospital car parks were still free?

Some shops run a parking fee refund scheme when you make a purchase, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that hospitals could run something similar where patients and visitors could collect an exit token from the department or ward for free parking?

I'll always remember leaving Southampton General Hospital after watching my brother-in-law die and then having to struggle for cash to pay the parking fee - to add that struggle to the emotional stress of watching a relative die is unbelievably cruel.

• Love it! 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not here, the hospital outside the city, all there is near it are houses with their own drives so the parking could well be free as nobody would leave their car there and catch a train to London, the station is miles away.

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I'll always remember leaving Southampton General Hospital after watching my brother-in-law die and then having to struggle for cash to pay the parking fee - to add that struggle to the emotional stress of watching a relative die is unbelievably cruel.

Similar here in Sheffield - my youngest had been in at age 11 for surgery under a general anaesthetic to have a VNS to be fitted (think pacemaker for her brain) and I'd been there all day and stressed...   came out to find the payment machine buggered and the only one working would only take cash, as the card reader was knackered...   No one at the hospital reception etc. could help and the shop across the road refused to give change.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

It is naive to think that the parking company do not pay an obscene amount of money to the hospital trust for the right to run the car park, yes their exploitation will be making them probably an even more obscene amount of money.

In France parking is free at A&E for 12 or 24 hours, maybe less, I dont know as my visits have been by ambulance, there is a barrier and you have to be buzzed in by security staff.

Interestingly I’ve just been involved in a review of hospital parking systems and that is generally not the case...

Most hospitals try to do it themselves in-house and set rates and fines etc. so the money is kept within the NHS but aren’t working to industry standards which creates a lot of problems for them in terms of car park management, admin, recovery of fines etc., so they don’t always turn a profit and often, because the parking regime isn’t self-funding, they have to subsidise the regime with funds intended for patient care.

In order to resolve these issues the best policy for them is to have British Parking Association Approved Operator Scheme accreditation, meaning signage and process etc. all needs to be to a minimum standard and they have to follow specific guidance.  Once they have that accreditation it resolves most of the aforementioned issues and they can either act as an operator themselves, with all associated costs of signage, managing, debt recovery and appeals etc., and any debt recovery payments kept by the Trust, or they can employ a third party to manage the parking and debt recovery.

If the latter then the NHS Trust can self-ticket and the Third Party are then responsible for debt recovery and all costs associated with that (including appeals etc.) with a rebate being paid to the Trust once recovered.  Alternatively the third party can do it all, including the ticketing, but with a similar rebate arrangement.  So there is generally no up-front payment to the Trust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Groan 1

Not sure if I should be annoyed or relieved about this. Phoned to book a dentist appointment for a check up today ( NHS ) and have been given their earliest date of 27th August!!

I know I'm lucky to have an NHS dentist and I'd normally expect to have to wait a month +/- for a booking, but 4 months is stretching it a bit, plus its 75 miles from where I live.

• Groan 2

England is not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and Westminster talking NHS can usually be the NHS in England.

If talking Car Parking at NHS Hospitals and that is in England then best say in England.   Damn annoying when people do not say where they mean. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.54.52.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.53.20.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.53.57.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

8 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

Not sure if I should be annoyed or relieved about this. Phoned to book a dentist appointment for a check up today ( NHS ) and have been given their earliest date of 27th August!!

I know I'm lucky to have an NHS dentist and I'd normally expect to have to wait a month +/- for a booking, but 4 months is stretching it a bit, plus its 75 miles from where I live.

Not sure I'd be bothering with that sort of distance or the waiting time.

I've not had an NHS dentist for years. In fact I didn't see a dentist at all for over 35 years & pee'd my wife right off when I finally decided to go to a local private dentist & only needed a small filling.🦷

I'm now on Denplan with twice yearly check-up's with the odd bit of work when needed (more now as I get older) &, it's walking distance (just) from my house. I'm even wondering if I need to bother with a monthly Denplan payment & switch to pay as I go. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rooted said:

England is not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and Westminster talking NHS can usually be the NHS in England.

If talking Car Parking at NHS Hospitals and that is in England then best say in England.   Damn annoying when people do not say where they mean. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.54.52.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.53.20.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 16.53.57.png

That specifically refers to PFI hospitals - whilst they may be in a different situation to those I was talking about, the info I provided above regarding the usual regime still stands.

• Like 1