Fuel range

10 hours ago, gregoir said:

Over 50mpg on long runs so 450miles or so before warning light.

Same here, never seen less than 45mpg and as much as 55mpg when pottering on holiday in France.

On 07/02/2018 at 21:16, Happydays said:

As a new owner of a 2014 2.0 tdi 150bhp Octavia I am curious as to what kind of mileage other users get from their cars.

im only on my second full fill and have gotten approx 300 miles from the first half of the tank, my first tankful only returned 510 miles.

i know there is a lot of variables in play but just trying to get an idea having come from a 2009 A3 1.9tdi which was returning 650 miles to a tank 

It can vary massively depending on the type of driving. If you do long runs and the engine gets up to temp, i get around 600miles on a tank. Basicaly motorway bashing. If you dont get the engine hot fast enough the car seems to actively regenas expected, this uses alot more fuel, i cant say how many miles to a tank ax the driving is mixed. On the motorway i can get 70mpg, some days driving a few miles only i have seen as low as 40mpg, average mixed commute 58mpg. My car is a 150tdi, and its always used shell vpower or bp ultimate.

One other thing when the car was new the fuel economy was a little worce upto about 10k.

Edited by Alpha2110

8 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

It can vary massively depending on the type of driving. If you do long runs and the engine gets up to temp, i get around 600miles on a tank. Basicaly motorway bashing. If you dont get the engine hot fast enough the car seems to actively regenas expected, this uses alot more fuel, i cant say how many miles to a tank ax the driving is mixed. On the motorway i can get 70mpg, some days driving a few miles only i have seen as low as 40mpg, average mixed commute 58mpg. My car is a 150tdi, and its always used shell vpower or bp ultimate.

One other thing when the car was new the fuel economy was a little worce upto about 10k.

Thanks for that. You are doing well getting the 600 to the tank. 

Dont really understand what you mean though by ‘regenas expected’

10 minutes ago, Happydays said:

Thanks for that. You are doing well getting the 600 to the tank. 

Dont really understand what you mean though by ‘regenas expected’

Missed a space.

"Regen as expected" 

ie the engine will perform a DPF regeneration cycle as expected.

Lee

1 minute ago, logiclee said:

Missed a space.

"Regen as expected" 

ie the engine will perform a DPF regeneration cycle as expected.

Lee

Now I see, thanks Lee. How often does the regen happen do you know?

i haven’t seen any indication of this on the dash as to it happening

1 hour ago, Happydays said:

The car decides when it wants to regen depending on a number of factors, temperature, driving cycle dependent. I dont know if there is a differential pressure sensors across the dpf, thats trigers when it thinks its getting restricted.

The only way i can tell the car is doing a regen is if i stop with the car in neutral and the start stop deactivation light is on. The car will be doing 1000rpm. This is not always the case as sometimes when its very cold and i start the car for the first time, say first thing on a morning with the demist and blowers on the car can also rev to 1000rpm, i dont think in this case its regening.

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2018 at 09:21, Alpha2110 said:

Normal with VAG engines (and maybe other manufacturers too) for at least the last 20 years - had the same with every new VAG car I've owned since 1996. Fuel consumption decreases over the first 10k-15k miles and then flattens off.

• Thanks 1

My average over nearly 32500km is 16.53km/l (just under 47mpg). Average refuel distance has been 616km (382 miles).

Over the last one year, average daily run has gone up to nearly 45km (from about 15). For this period, average mpg has been about 49mpg, with refuel distance averaging about 704km (437 miles).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Happydays said:

Mine does a regen every time I pull up outside the house after a 70 mile drive home, every time I am just nipping to the shop, outside my sons nursery with it’s incredibly loud fan spinning away, scaring the children...

Basically anytime that’s wholly inappropriate, it’ll do one!

• Haha 4

Petrol vRS 220

In fairness, this is a one-off. 

Long-term average 32mpg, but I do pedal it about a bit! ;-) 

C0D578FF-1AE0-40FE-81DA-0801946F2ACE.jpeg

I think the Maxidots are always over enthusiastic when reporting MPG values. Interestingly the speedo in my 2105 Octy (and others before) have also over egged the speed I am actually doing.

GPs in phone and Rear camera (which handily displays speed on a little screen that I can see in the rear view mirror) are always within 1 mph of each other.

They also agree with those speed on a pole indicators. 80mph on speedo is about 73 actual.

Anyway back to fuel I always do first click to first click (of the nozzle) calcs. This Octy gets 49.95mpg.

Its predecessor, a 140 4x4 yeti only managed 41.85.

I only do longer runs with it, as I don't like the idea of loads of active Regens, which in themselves gobble up fuel.

Edited by vegit8
typo

2 hours ago, vegit8 said:

Interestingly the speedo in my 2105 Octy (and others before) have also over egged the speed I am actually doing.

That's a legal requirement - in the EU speedos are required to not under-read and allowed to over-read by up to 10%.

So manufacturers setup the speedos to over-read by around 5% to allow for tolerances and tyre wear.

On 11.2.2018 at 13:51, manlms said:

My average over nearly 32500km is 16.53km/l (just under 47mpg). Average refuel distance has been 616km (382 miles).

Over the last one year, average daily run has gone up to nearly 45km (from about 15). For this period, average mpg has been about 49mpg, with refuel distance averaging about 704km (437 miles).

Mine is slightly bigger, 40.7MPG. Same km's as yours.

Range is around 800-900km, 500-560 miles

Edited by Petunet

16 hours ago, SWBoy said:

That's a legal requirement - in the EU speedos are required to not under-read and allowed to over-read by up to 10%.

So manufacturers setup the speedos to over-read by around 5% to allow for tolerances and tyre wear.

Indeed, so if the speedos over read then does the mileage also over exaggerate?

if so this would explain why the mpg figures shown in the maxidot are higher than actually achieved

25 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

Indeed, so if the speedos over read then does the mileage also over exaggerate?

In most cases yes, try comparing the trip readout with a measured mile marker and it's usually showing a mile before you reach the measured marker.

I'd agree that all speedometers of our cars of the last twenty years have been optimistic to varying degrees (2% to 9%) but with one exception (Korean car over reading by  6%) I have found the odometers to be 2% or less. My current mk3 speedo is 7% and odo 1% with well worn tyres.

Funnily enough I had reason to doubt the odometer recently but it turned out to be a series of crazy distance to destination signposting.

A previous comment that a speedo is set to over read to compensate for tyre wear is incorrect as the smaller circumference of a worn tyre actually worsens the situation.

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

A previous comment that a speedo is set to over read to compensate for tyre wear is incorrect as the smaller circumference of a worn tyre actually worsens the situation.

My comment was to "allow for tolerances and tyre wear" - so a speedo over-reading by 5% on new tyres will (as you say) read higher with worn tyres but as the legal limit is 10% over-reading that's why the "design norm" is 5% on new tyres to allow 5% tolerance/change either way but still be legal.

Cars aren't designed/manufactured to Six Sigma standards....

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:16, Happydays said:

As a new owner of a 2014 2.0 tdi 150bhp Octavia I am curious as to what kind of mileage other users get from their cars.

im only on my second full fill and have gotten approx 300 miles from the first half of the tank, my first tankful only returned 510 miles.

i know there is a lot of variables in play but just trying to get an idea having come from a 2009 A3 1.9tdi which was returning 650 miles to a tank 

I think your Audi had 55litre tank whereas other responders have pointed out smaller Mk3 Octy has 50litre tank. My 63 plate 150bhp Octavia SE with 16" alloys did 550 miles per tank and upto 70mpg on a long motorway run. 64 plate DSG 184 VRS hatch on 18" alloys averaged 45mpg with a best of 66mpg, say 495 miles per tank. Finally my current VRS245 on 19" alloys averages 40mpg with a best of 47.4mpg giving between 430-460 miles per tank.

Brimming my 2.0TDI 150PS SCR DSG 63 litre tank with 70 litres of so it gets 10 miles to the litre easy and will sometime show 490 mile range after 146 miles, 

and other times shows 700 mile range after 146 miles, return journey.  (Alhambra with light loads and heavier loads and much the same average speeds, Summer or Winter.)

But basically after when filling up with 63 litres i can have travelled anything from 630 miles - 730 miles, dependent on which routes used with average speed cameras of 60 or 70 mph, (and motorway with none) and how much Coasting Function is used.

Every tank fill since new has achieved at least 10 miles to the litres, and after the 2nd tank fill of Ad-blue it now sips it.  

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0174 (1).JPG

DSCN0172.JPG

Edited by Offski

420 to 460 miles per tank is my average from a 2.0tdi 184 DSG Scout. A mixture of driving but still not great when on a long motorway run. Anything above 70 and the MPG plummets to below 40 mpg

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:58, Gerrycan said:

The tank size of all FWD drive Octavia is a nominal 50 Litres as yours would be. The 4WD versions are a nominal 55 Litres.

As broad generalisation VW group fuel tanks tend to be able to take up to 5 litres more than claimed, but not something to rely on.

There were a lot of early complaints from early diesel users that the fuel gauge and low fuel warnings were coming on prematurely and that they could only get 40-ish litres in. Have not heard that issue being raised recently though.

The fuel gauge of most cars from most manufacturers tend to be 'optimistic' when showing half full, for instance when my petrol gauge is showing half full and I refill then I usually get 30 litres in, not the 25 litres that you would expect. Easy thing to confirm individually though.

I've always found the distance on a tank claims fairly arbitrary unless there is additional information about refill quantity.

Agree about the larger than expected fuel tank sizes. Once managed to squeeze 70 litres of unleaded into a 66 litre Superb Mk3's tank. Remaining fuel was showing 25 miles left also!