Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my current latest customised version ( August, 2018 ) which I'm offering to share if any forum members want to use them. This version has been compiled using version 0.03 of flumpie's prebuilt executable python script (  https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois/releases ) which took approximately twenty seconds to execute - so I would therefore like to offer him my sincere gratitude. This version contains UK only cameras. I've consolidated the cameras into four poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams along with my preferred choice of icons for each one of them. Install them as I explained in my first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( a usb stick doesn't work ) and remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories and the poi audible warning alert after performing the update or they will not show on your map or alert you. I hope you find them useful.

UK Speedcams August 2018.zip

• Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, SunsetZed said:

Thanks BigAdel, do you (or anyone else) know if this will also work on the current Golf which has a slightly different head unit (looks like a new version of the Amundsen)?

Thanks for the appreciation. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will work but I'm sure no harm would be done if you was to give it a try. I think I read somewhere that the newer units are known as MIB2.5. I wouldn't have thought that this newer model is in the metainfo2.txt contained in my files but you never know. I expect you'd just get an error message or perhaps a continuous search if it isn't compatible but I don't think it would cause any issues. 

On 03/08/2018 at 12:07, bigade1 said:

Thanks for the appreciation. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will work but I'm sure no harm would be done if you was to give it a try. I think I read somewhere that the newer units are known as MIB2.5. I wouldn't have thought that this newer model is in the metainfo2.txt contained in my files but you never know. I expect you'd just get an error message or perhaps a continuous search if it isn't compatible but I don't think it would cause any issues. 

Thanks, gave it a try but no joy so will have a look on the VW Forums.

On 14/03/2018 at 19:16, POWYSWALES said:

Thanks bigade1 works great, is there a way to make the audible alert louder without making all nav directions volume etc increasing? 

If you want variable warning volume, editable warning distance etc. just stick CamerAlert on your phone as well (or instead). Its a free App using the same sort of database but it's fully custom configurable.  The warning tones will bluetooth to your infotainment system.

I have both methods at the moment, so I get audio warned by the phone and then can look at the map on the Amundsen for icon locations as required.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bigade1 said:

Here's my current latest customised version ( October, 2018 ) which I'm offering to share if any forum members want to use them. This version contains UK only speed cameras. I've consolidated the cameras into four poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams along with my preferred choice of icons for each one of them. Install them as I explained in my first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( a usb stick doesn't work ) and remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories and the poi audible warning alert after performing the update or they will not show on your map or alert you. I hope you find them useful.

UK Speedcams October 2018.zip

great work! this needs pinned for the monthly updates. :thumbup:

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quaymann said:

Does the update have to be done on an sd card or can it be on a usb drive?

Thanks, Barry.

I've tried a couple of different make usb sticks but never had any joy with them. Even though the update screen and manual states that you can use either method I've only had success using an sd card. I place the files alongside my existing media files and my unit recognises them and updates them without any problem. Once the update has been done though you must then delete the poi files immediately from the sd card otherwise your unit may fail to recognise and play your media files.

On 09/12/2018 at 16:00, bigade1 said:

I've tried a couple of different make usb sticks but never had any joy with them. Even though the update screen and manual states that you can use either method I've only had success using an sd card. I place the files alongside my existing media files and my unit recognises them and updates them without any problem. Once the update has been done though you must then delete the poi files immediately from the sd card otherwise your unit may fail to recognise and play your media files.

Thanks, I’ll try & find an sd card !

Hi, once again here's my current updated latest customised version ( December, 2018 ) which I'm offering to share if any forum members wish to use them. For info purposes this version contains UK only speed cameras which are split into four poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams with my own choice of icon for each one of them. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories and the poi audible warning alert after performing the update or they will not display on your map or alert you. I hope you find them useful.

UK Speedcams December 2018.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is such a cool thing you are doing and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder if you can have these speed cameras just on the map without the alert? I am not a fan of audible alerts but it would be nice to have the cameras on the base map and appear as and when. Kind of like Waze when I approach a camera it tells me on the map, but it isn’t audible. If I downloaded these and ticked the poi alert but not the audible alert would they appear on the base map? Also, is the download process the same on a Mac? Many Thanks :)

30 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

This is such a cool thing you are doing and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder if you can have these speed cameras just on the map without the alert? I am not a fan of audible alerts but it would be nice to have the cameras on the base map and appear as and when. Kind of like Waze when I approach a camera it tells me on the map, but it isn’t audible. If I downloaded these and ticked the poi alert but not the audible alert would they appear on the base map? Also, is the download process the same on a Mac? Many Thanks :)

Yes - they will just appear on the map as a poi without an alert as long as you don't tick the alert setting in the nav announcement menu. I'm not sure about using a mac but I would imagine there'd be no difference. Just remember to use a sd card, only place the extracted files i.e. PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt and finally go into the poi categories menu - scroll to the bottom of the list and tick them. Any problems just let me know.:)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Seems to work just fine and a very easy process to load onto the nav unit. Also works just fine on a Mac. I've just got to drive past some speed cameras and see if I've done it right :) 

I'm glad you sorted it :). You can zoom in/out and drag across the map just to check if they are displaying if you don't want to drive anywhere. just to let you know as well - the audible alert is pretty low and unobtrusive if you decide to try it out. It only makes a kind of " gloop " noise and it briefly slightly silences any audio that is playing. It also does it when the nav display is not being used - handy if you're in an unfamiliar area and you're not using the satnav.

• Like 1