Rear ashtray - alternative parts

I've ran a USB cable from the fusebox (12v to 5v convertor) to the rear ashtray area to power a 5 port USB hub.

I had originally intended to just stick it to the side of the centre console but realised the rear ashtray comes off easily so at the moment i've ran it out of the hole where the ashtray sits. I plan to cut some holes through the ashtray and mount the USB hub on the outside of it but was wondering if there was an easier option. Are there any other parts that fit in the space where the ashtray sits? like a blanking piece or some other part?

Actually looks like the heated seat buttons are part of the same panel so maybe not super useful.

EDIT: Although maybe that changed in the facelift:

New-2017-Skoda-Octavia-Review-10.jpg

Edited by uchuff

Yeah although going to the site Google returned that from I can only see the ones inclusive of seat heating, so might have been a pre-release thing that changed? 

Also looks like there's still an ashtray there perhaps, however reviews I've seen showed an EU mains plug under a flap.

Edit: Here's a clearer pic:

1657750d1500287424t-close-look-2017-skod

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/188824-close-look-2017-skoda-octavia-facelift-hands-free-parking.html

Edited by uchuff

56 minutes ago, maul said:

Can you not squeeze one or two of these in above the ashtray but below the vents?

I'm sure there are other ones available. This was the first i found.

Yeah probably, I didn't know such things existed though.

There are plenty of 4 in a row usb adapters out there but i cant find any that would easily mount unless on the surface. I'm sure if you got one and took it apart and mounted it on a flat plate you would be fine. A usb cable has 4 wires 2 are 5v + - power and 2 are data you only need to connect the power ones up to a converter from 12v and you can run it. might need to make sure your converter is beefy enough to run 4 ports at once. the cheapo stuff is usually 500ma which is frankly useless when split between devices all wanting  more than 500ma each.

i was looking at something like this  but really need to get my hands on one to see how they come apart to see if its possible to mount it in the panel. it would be a great mod if you have passengers with tech in need of power on long journeys etc.

http://cpc.farnell.com/startech/st4200mini2/hub-4-port-usb2-0/dp/CS30737

need to research a converter next i'll report back 

should all work as long as you have a good enough 12v to 5v  converter by the fusebox. :)

what i did stumble across was this  discrete little socket you could slip in almost anywhere with just a tiny neat hole and the screw mounts.

https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/0.5m-panel-mount-usb-cable-male-to-female-p-2862.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW52lTlQD1TIRsKEVFn1b6RPL6ERkAbua7LmAMWTd67R45JYxeDtxADhoCsN0QAvD_BwE

you would still need the  converter and a splitter to  each socket  you fitted but they could all go behind  the  console.

This thread actually got me looking last night, this one maybe not the best orientation for large connections, but assuming regular USB charge cable ends, would seem like it could cover up a less than perfect cutout:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Dashboard-Panel-Flush-Mount-Dual-USB-3-0-Port-Extension-Line-1m-Supplies/122845411527?_trkparms=pageci%3A02348cb1-1887-11e8-929d-74dbd1806d37|parentrq%3Ac246d3951610ab1d9b55cc54fff84b10|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

1 hour ago, uchuff said:

This thread actually got me looking last night, this one maybe not the best orientation for large connections, but assuming regular USB charge cable ends, would seem like it could cover up a less than perfect cutout:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Dashboard-Panel-Flush-Mount-Dual-USB-3-0-Port-Extension-Line-1m-Supplies/122845411527?_trkparms=pageci%3A02348cb1-1887-11e8-929d-74dbd1806d37|parentrq%3Ac246d3951610ab1d9b55cc54fff84b10|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

Looks good, I could get a couple of those and plug the 4 USB's into the Anker 4 port hub i've got, and hide it all away behind the ashtray. I'll see if I can find something similar from a UK stockist.

• Like 1

If you look on this page you can see the part numbers you`d need to make it look like factory built but I personally think it`s too much hassle and I`m also not too sure where you could get the parts other than from the dealer

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2014-753/8/863-863060/#14

• 2 years later...
On 22/02/2018 at 11:24, SashaGrace said:

I've seen that pic, has made me think about installing that in mine with the blank buttons. Will have to search around :)

Any luck with this mod with a new panel and parts.

Fortunately for me, my car came with the heated front and rear seats, so mine has the panel with the switches and the USB sockets. Picture below from my 67 plate estate.

PXL_20210130_151133794.jpg

Hi guys. 

you will need these parts :

5E0 857 289 F 9B9

5E0 857 346 A 9B9

5E0 863 230 9B9

5E0 863 229 9B9

5Q0 035 726 L

I have not found a partnumber for the wiring for the usb device. 

br, Thomas

On 30/01/2021 at 18:57, tunedude said:

must have been the facelifts which came automatically with the rear usb ports. I've heated seats, but no usb ports

It was an option, not all Facelifts have it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering can the storage compartment be reused when retrofitting USB ports? It looks the same on @Addictive's pictures.

EDIT: Actually I would replace the storage compartment to one without a door - 1Z0 857 130 9B9

https://www.skoda-parts.com/data/items/274/5c083bb88d9d2_xl.jpg

Edited by fr1nklyn