1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Courtesy cars and Markyj coming from Liverpool reminds me of having a V6 Calibra as a courtesy car (that's how long ago it was!)

I'd bought an RX7 turbo II and was like a dog with 2 erm tails until the clutch went after a week, it was 4 years old but the garage manager lent me his car while mine was being fixed, I was dropping the Mrs back off at her university halls in Aigburth when at the lights we were surrounded by a group of youths, 'smart car mate' 'let's have a go' the minute they cleared from the front of the car I screeched off but heard an almighty clatter, I'd left his back box behind and there was no chance I was going back to get it!! they were not impressed when I took the rather throaty Calibra back a few days later :rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, xman said:

So is your golf any better?

Does your wife need to guide you in while parking your steed? :party::kiss:

ny101-jfk-illo-2-slide-v6.gif.00e0c544c2d076f3dbf6083c9a953f20.gif

Gone all posh now since Jan 2018 with both cars coming with factory front/rear sensors and rear parking cameras so no excuses when parking and no airport guidance operative requirements but thank you for your enquiry and concern.:party:

I must ask for patience for my ignorance. I  have in mind  buying a car  that will fall in with Citizen Khan's emissions for the Greater London area,ie within the North and South Circular roads, coupled with London Boroughs now upping their Parking Permit charges for diesels,heedless of emissions, so I am switching to petrol and manual box, which means  1.5 Tsi  only. I am told  by persons in the industry that  the VAG  auto/DSG box  causes great problems and is to be avoided,hence my 1.5 manual proposed outcome. Now I read about all the kangarooing  with the 1.5 Tsi, how on earth can a manufacturer in this day and age not manage to marry a gearbox with an engine and to function properly.  So what IS the problem, is it DSG only or manual as well.

B t w, I noticed some while ago, there are/were loads of newish Kodiaks   for sale on the s'hand market, indicating there is/was a problem with that model?

3 minutes ago, Tony R said:

I must ask for patience for my ignorance. I  have in mind  buying a car  that will fall in with Citizen Khan's emissions for the Greater London area,ie within the North and South Circular roads, coupled with London Boroughs now upping their Parking Permit charges for diesels,heedless of emissions, so I am switching to petrol and manual box, which means  1.5 Tsi  only. I am told  by persons in the industry that  the VAG  auto/DSG box  causes great problems and is to be avoided,hence my 1.5 manual proposed outcome. Now I read about all the kangarooing  with the 1.5 Tsi, how on earth can a manufacturer in this day and age not manage to marry a gearbox with an engine and to function properly.  So what IS the problem, is it DSG only or manual as well.

B t w, I noticed some while ago, there are/were loads of newish Kodiaks   for sale on the s'hand market, indicating there is/was a problem with that model?

We own a Karoq 1.5TSi SEL manual since new one year ago and not all the time but when the engine is cold it can be a bit jerky in 1st gear. My advice would be to buy the Kodiaq 1.4Tsi either manual or DSG instead, not sure about the emissions difference, because no problems have been reported with the earlier engine/gearbox combo. I indeed had the 1.4Tsi manual Superb new in 2016 and it was quiet and economical in that car with ACT (running on 2 cylinders above 1,400rpm on a light throttle).:thumbup:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

We own a Karoq 1.5TSi SEL manual since new one year ago and not all the time but when the engine is cold it can be a bit jerky in 1st gear. My advice would be to buy the Kodiaq 1.4Tsi either manual or DSG instead, not sure about the emissions difference, because no problems have been reported with the earlier engine/gearbox combo. I indeed had the 1.4Tsi manual Superb new in 2016 and it was quiet and economical in that car with ACT (running on 2 cylinders above 1,400rpm on a light throttle).:thumbup:

Thank you, it looks as though there is a problem with the 1.5 manual, as for your suggestion re choosing the previous engine  1.4 ACT instead is probably not a viable option  in a new car guise?.  I also  thought the 1.5 is ACT , is that not correct?  Thanks for your reply.

2 minutes ago, Tony R said:

Thank you, it looks as though there is a problem with the 1.5 manual, as for your suggestion re choosing the previous engine  1.4 ACT instead is probably not a viable option  in a new car guise?.  I also  thought the 1.5 is ACT , is that not correct?  Thanks for your reply.

Sorry didn't realise you were looking at a new car in particular and yes you are correct the 1.5TSi EVO engine is equipped with ACT and it works in the same way as the previous 1.4Tsi engine. Our Karoq has now covered 12,700 miles in 12 months at an average of 45.3mpg and wife loves driving it. It is a very comfortable car to travel in even on our standard suspension and 18" alloys. Engine is very quiet also so great on the motorway.:thumbup:

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

. Engine is very quiet also so great on the motorway.:thumbup:

Thanks, any idea your mph at  1000 rpm, my current  on 18" wheels is 37/38 ,very high and relaxing. At mere 2000rpm I am over the legal limit.

Just now, Tony R said:

Thanks, any idea your mph at  1000 rpm, my current  on 18" wheels is 37/38 ,very high and relaxing. At mere 2000rpm I am over the legal limit.

Yeah 30mph per 1,000rpm so 70mph is 2,300rpm. Still got plenty left to quickly pull out and pass dawdlers if required. 3rd gear overtaking on country roads is also surprisingly good/impressive.:inlove:

There were loads of 'Used' Kodiak for sale in the UK because Skoda UK / Dealerships had lots of Demonstrators that were registered and other Management Cars First Registered nd had the 'news' as how good a seller the Kodiak was, not mentioning that they were the owner of them.

As to 1.4 TSI's, there are models with WLTP Certification and brand new factory builds in the VW Group, just not in a Karoq or Kodiaq.

My kangaroo effect was reduced still now. In the beginning when the car was new the effect was very strong and continuously decreased to 9000km. 

My oil level was 40%. I refilled the oil. The kangaroo effect came back.

I think it depends on oil level and temperature, because the effect still happening when the coolant is 90 but the oil temp bellow 70.

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

That is a very important observation.

VW Group in 2017/18 started filling at the factory VW508/509 0w 20 FS LL oil.

This is their way of being ready for the WLTP & RDE,

like when they used to put Diesel in Engine oil to cheat the EU Testing..... 

(Just some Rogue Junior Employees obviously, The Management Board and Dr Winterkorn were unaware.)

So time will tell. 

*" The use of VW504 instead of VW508 oil can result in a slight deterioration in the  emission values."*

No doubt VW Group sorting out kangerooing issues with these engines will as well and they are stuffed...

New Engine Management Software.

& unlike 'The Euro 5 TDI Emissions Scandal a Plastic Flow Device up the air intake and tweaking fueling will not pass muster.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Skoffski

Drove down to the local Co-Op this morning a journey of around 23 miles on single track and an A class road and didn't have any issues at all. A bit later on drove back and tried some scenarios some with stop start on and the same ones with it off on the last 5 miles of single track road before reaching home again and still no issues like the kangarooing and power loss at low speed

I'm still getting used to driving a car with a turbo and a six speed  gearbox compared to the Honda VTEC with a five speed gearbox I drove previously and can say that I'm really pleased with this Karoq so far.

I was in contact with Skoda UK after they phoned me yesterday afternoon and was told if anything does change with how it performs then I should take it to my nearest Skoda retailer for a diagnostic check.

Edited by Apprentice
typo

Skoda UK are bound to answer that way.  Take it to a Dealers for a Diagnostic Check.  Corporate Responsibility, and good Customer Service.

Issue being they know that the Cars are performing as the were built, imported and sold and even if a 'Diagnostic Check' shows nothing wrong a 'Master Technician' doing a Road Test might show up the fault that makes a vehicle potentially unsafe.

They can not ignored if the Technician reports their finding, so 'Corporate Responsibility' and acting responsibly requires Skoda UK to arrange a courtesy car until they resolve the issues.

'The are Simply Clever' not simply a dodgy company.  Well you would hope not...

Edited by Skoffski

Is there a site we can check when the update comes available?

The Skoda UK website and then contact Customer Services?

It has been mentioned on this forum before and I was told the same over the phone from Skoda UK CS that there is an "update" due sometime in Q2.

There is a Recall Actions / Service Campaign site. 

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Not that much use much of the time, there can be TPI's and Secret Service Campaigns, that a Dealership employee will call a Registered Keeper or Owner and say, 

'there is a recall' and yet no Recall, just a Secret 'Service Campaign'.   If you have your car in you might find out about it type thing.

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

There is a Recall Actions / Service Campaign site. 

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Not that much use much of the time, there can be TPI's and Secret Service Campaigns, that a Dealership employee will call a Registered Keeper or Owner and say, 

'there is a recall' and yet no Recall, just a Secret 'Service Campaign'.   If you have your car in you might find out about it type thing.

I have an octavia 1.5 TSI ACT 2018 and have noticed the kangarooing but it's not as frequent as others and mainly when starting journies (i.e. When cold). 

Again contact with skoda in CZ with question “when you give to us new software”, and that’s what they said: 

“thank you for your email. Unfortunatelly we are not able to answer your question. Please visit your local skoda workshop/dealer for more informations about possibilities and prices. List of skoda dealers/workshops can be found at skoda-auto.com then select your country

In case of any other question, please contact us.”

This answer suggests that they do not care, no mention of the second quarter. and it looks like no one is going to solve a problem. 
besides, they also hint that we would go and solve the problem for money at the service point! I have no words...

13 hours ago, marklochrie said:

Is there a site we can check when the update comes available? 

As whenever you use the Skoda app it says "no problems with car" .

I should think this very site where you have asked the question will be a good source of news as soon as anything is released to anyone. 

On 14/02/2019 at 23:15, shyVRS245 said:

You have to give the 1.0litre more revs than the 1.5litre so it is only slightly more economical than the bigger engine (which is less stressed) and therefore the emissions are similar. Our 1.5TSi 148bhp Karoq has averaged 45.3mpg over 12,500 miles with a best of 63.2mpg figures which I suspect would be hard to achieve in the 113bhp 1.0Tsi version.:clap:

Got to wonder what is the point of the 1.0 in the Karoq? Smaller, lighter cars yes.

1 minute ago, VAGCF said:

Got to wonder what is the point of the 1.0 in the Karoq? Smaller, lighter cars yes.

Makes more sense in the SEAT Ateca with a competitive starting price of £17,995 at launch so had very few rivals. However Skoda added a bit more equipment yet with a starting price north of £20,000 put it up against many more rivals.:sweat:

12 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

If the 1.5 is a dud, and the 1.0 isn't powerful enough, does VW have another petrol alternative in a world that is turning against diesel? Anyone know why VW discontinued the 1.4 which everyone seems to like - was it destined to fail the latest WLTP testing?

Edited by StEdmund
Grammar

2 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

If the 1.5 is a dud, and the 1.0 isn't powerful enough, does VW have another petrol alternative in a world that is turning against diesel? Anyone know why VW turned against the 1.4 which everyone seems to like - was it destined to fail the latest WLTP testing?

In China which is a massive market for the VW Group and the Government there made engines under 1.5litres get a substantial tax break which effectively killed off a lot of 1.6litre engines and VW decided to take advantage of this tax loophole by replacing the reliable 148bhp 1.4TSi with the JERKY 148bhp 1.5TSi presumably to lower the emissions from the older engine.:cool:

4 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Over here in Ireland, €2000 less than the 1.5 and lower CO2 emissions, €180 less annual road tax, lower insurance.

I wondered about the 1.0 being up to it but having talked to 2 owners, they are very pleased. It seems to well suited to buzzing around towns and lots of short, quick journeys. I expect it is also a case a case of the little Turbo motor exceeding expectations so the owners have a happy face, whereas the 1.5........ not so much!