1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

25 minutes ago, martin1199 said:

Hi All.

The issue is a fault as I see it. I have had 7 Skodas in the last 10 years My wife has had Fabias and Yetties and I have had Octavias and know the Karoq. My dealer said that it is a fault and there was a patch but Skoda removed it because it does not work and they are looking at the issue but it would appear not to be high on their list of things to do. Everyone needs to go back to their dealers and complain to get this registered and a real issue to make Skoda do something. Please don't be put off by the comment. Its a characteristic of the vehicle which is their common phrase it not, its just bad engineering as I see it.  My own vehicle has done 10000 miles in 10 weeks. and as well as this issue it has oil leaks that cannot be fixed as there are no spare parts for it until mid-Dec. It's only an oil seal. Sat nav keeps giving the wrong info and tries to send me on 60-mile detours saying its the best route even though I have programmed it right in the settings. Fuel filler cap will not open or close properly and they have had to order a new one. Again not available until Dec. AQll in all I have been very disappointed.  There is also a lot of rattling and knocking from the engine on tick over and if you release the throttle at 1500 revs it sounds like a loose timing chain. Skoda says its normal but I day its not. I think this engine needs more work and perhaps was not ready for release. Customers services could not help and know I am trying to get a full refund and send the car back. Diesels are not affected.

Totally agree re applying the pressure.

I go back every month to the dealer in the hope that they’ll get sick of me moaning in service reception within earshot of others and start pushing Skoda a little harder for a fix.

custoner services are not interested. Just referred me back to the dealer,

2 minutes ago, martin1199 said:

I'm sure that if enough of us complained, the dealers COULD actually achieve something IF they really wanted. Like everyone else,  all I got initially was "they all do that sir".  "it will take a thousand miles for the ecu to get to know your driving style" . "You just need to drive it  differently" etc, etc, etc.

I really don't think comments like these show a genuine concern, rather more a negative attitude towards those raising issues. 

In fairness to my dealers, they DO now accept there is a problem and they have told me that the owner of the dealership in now aware which hopefully is very much a positive point. They no longer feed me any bovine excreta comments either.

What really concerns me is the apparent flagrant apathy  displayed by  a number of dealerships evidenced by some of the comments made to drivers raising their concerns. It does not inspire confidence in the product or the ongoing support provided by Skoda. Why would you go for another Skoda given the recent experience of those contributing to this thread and finally, why is it taking so long to find a fix? 

As @Wino pointed out.   

There might be issues,  Skoda had the MY2018 Type Approved under the old EU Testing.

The 'Patch' might need new 'Type Approval' / Testing as when VW Group needed to apply a 'Fix' and remove a Defeat Device from 11 Million Euro 5 TDI's, 

or offer to.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

If the MY18 1.5 TSI Manuals achieved test results because of suspect engine management / software that could be an issue when new engine management is required.

Not just a Software Update / Enhancement.   Time will tell, it will all come out in the Wash. 

Surely the MY19 1.5 TSI Manuals with WLTP Approval are not having the issues, or are they?

I still think is a characteristic of the engine and will not get "fixed" full stop.

Don't matter why ,be it emissions workaround,anti stall nanny device whatever,it is what it is  and I personally believe y'all better get used to it or try rejecting your cars,again yet another example of "progress",and yes I am a cynical old B@#TARD.............

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Gaz1985 said:
On 08/10/2018 at 17:37, 181ce said:

Ok guys I'm bowing out of this one least I cause more offence

What happened?? :thinking:

I know,I couldn't help myself,I'm gonna slink away David Cameron like now,I promise I'll be good.........................

It is definately a software/mapping matter. As i ve already stated, i did not have the problem initially and only had it after an ECU update i had to solve another matter, Therefore, software does it.

10 minutes ago, Offski said:

@fidelio why or for what reason was your car having a software update, and what exactly is your car and when was it built?

My car is a Karoq 1.5 TSI manual and according to the skoda app was built in June. 

I had a software update after an ECU fault that occurred followed by weird behavior of the engine.

The fact is that i had am ECU version f around 400 and went to 600 something. Since then i have the Kangaroo problem. Until then i only had the reeving a bit high effect at pulling away, which was easy to adapt to.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 181ce said:

I know,I couldn't help myself,I'm gonna slink away David Cameron like now,I promise I'll be good.........................

But, you were giving us a laugh! :D

On 27/10/2018 at 18:13, LittleOwl said:

Our car now booked in with local dealership to look at. In meantime I contacted Skoda UK and asked them if they acknowledged this problem existed and if there was a fix, this is the reply..... methinks we are in for a battle to get this sorted!
" naturally concerned to learn of the issues outlined in your email, and I am sorry for any inconvenience which these may have caused.
In order for us to be able to investigate the causes of this issue and to further analyse your concerns; we would require that an Approved ŠKODA Retailer carries out an inspection of the vehicle.  This is to ensure that all of the issues are diagnosed correctly and that the appropriate advice is offered.  This will also allow us to liaise directly with the Retailer, and if necessary offer any further support required.
Once a diagnosis has been carried out, I will be happy to further investigate this matter for you.
I hope this information proves useful. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.   
Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK"

That's the standard reply that I got, you should have a reference number in your e-mail from them.

If you wait they will take about 3 days and call you, I'd not wait.

Call 01908 547 384 and ask for Cherrie Cornish, be interesting to see if they admit they already know about the issue to you! (then I'll know for sure if they are giving me the run around) they are being very cagey and insisting they have to treat each vehicle individually (already trying to swerve any potential group action)

Their line at first was that they couldn't really do anything until the dealer has looked at it, refer them to the telegraph article which references the issue, mention that a poster on here from Ireland has already been refunded, also feel free to quote my vehicle that She is already dealing with.

When you take it in insist the mechanic drives the car from the offset, not you.... they initially resisted but my retort was that I over compensate for the issue whereas someone not used to the car will drive naturally and the car will kangaroo.

Best of luck and I urge everyone with the issue to get back in to the dealers and get the dealer to at least log the issue with Skoda.

I'm thinking how long we leave this before we take action for example a  group action against Skoda, I'm sure the no fee no win types would take this on. I hope it doesn't get to that stage as I just want it fixed please Skoda, I know you are reading :ph34r:

Edited by TheRealExile
can't type

2 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

That's the standard reply that I got, you should have a reference number in your e-mail from them.

If you wait they will take about 3 days and call you, I'd not wait.

Call 01908 547 384 and ask for Cherrie Cornish, be interesting to see if they admit they already know about the issue to you! (then I'll know for sure if they are giving me the run around) they are being very cagey and insisting they have to treat each vehicle individually (already trying to swerve any potential group action)

Their line at first was that they couldn't really do anything until the dealer has looked at it, refer them to the telegraph article which references the issue, mention that a poster on here from Ireland has already been refunded, also feel free to quote my vehicle that She is already dealing with.

When you take it in insist the mechanic drives the car from the offset, not you.... they initially resisted but my retort was that I over compensate for the issue whereas someone not used to the car will drive naturally and the car will kangaroo.

Best of luck and I urge everyone with the issue to get back in to the dealers and get the dealer to at least log the issue with Skoda.

I'm thinking how long we leave this before we take action for example a  group action against Skoda, I'm sure the no fee no win types would take this on. I hope it doesn't get to that stage as I just want it fixed please Skoda, I know you are reading :ph34r:

Totally agree. If we can’t get anywhere as individuals then collective action may be the answer in the longer term. In the short term I would  urge all those affected  by this to regularly visit their dealer asking them for the current status of any fix.

I may make a call to with Standards to see how they think it may fit with “unfit for purpose”

I know that may be a subjective issue but worth asking the question I think.

A cold -2 this morning,   car jumped down the road as expected for first couple of minutes (albeit the engine was running at standstill for 5 mins while the ice was scrapped off windows).  Definately, in my case,  more noticeable when cold.

Car booked in with dealer tomorrow night, so they can have it for a couple days to test in the mornings.  

On 17/10/2018 at 16:52, MJ1 said:

I would describe my "problem" as more of an observation. When first pulling off it is not always smooth, certainly not a major issue, but not what I would expect. My observation is that maybe DSG mitigates the manual problem?

I hope to have a chat tonight with a manual owner to see how he is getting on...

@MJ1 I've had my 1.5 DSG for a bit over a week. Noticed one time when I started the car, pulled away slowly that it was a little jerky for brief moment. Did you find out anything new?

And one time after i started the car while idle I saw the rev needle go up and down a few times and made a sound like it was about about to stall. Am waiting to see if this happens a second time.

Hi nothing new, the high revs are another observation made but as I am new to the world of DSG and mini SuV's I don't know what is normal.

Last night I used manual mode for the 1st time on my regular gym trip. It seemed like i might have got better mpg from it, but I need to do more testing to be certain. My long term average is about 39mpg which is my only real complaint about the car. But that could be down to doing less high mileage as I am working from home more.

I will continue to observe to see how it goes.....

From the above link to HJ agony column.

Skod Missive

I bought a brand new Skoda Octavia 1.5TSI 150 SEL on 1st June 2018.  I hadn’t driven it very long before I realised it just wasn’t running smoothly (it’s so shaky it can be felt in the passenger seat) at low speeds especially at around 1,500 revs and when the engine switches to ECO mode. I returned it to the dealership, but they claimed they were neither able to find anything wrong on the diagnostics nor to be able to replicate the uneven running on a road test. Following an on-line survey, I was later contacted by Skoda Customer Services at which point I explained the problem I was having. They contacted the dealership who in turn phoned me and the vehicle was booked in for further investigation. Fortunately, this time, the technician was able to reproduce the problem on a test drive but wasn’t able to come up with any idea of what it was. They then decided to acquire a car with the same engine from another dealership to see if that had the same problem, and it did. However, their conclusion has now been to tell me that this is obviously just a foible of this particular engine and there is nothing they can do about it other than report it to Skoda. Incidentally, the dealership said that this was going to be done the first time the car was in but I don’t believe they did report the issue. I find the whole situation unacceptable. I don’t believe for one minute that I should be expected to accept a car that doesn’t run smoothly throughout the engine range.  I would therefore welcome any advice you can give me that might lead to an acceptable outcome.  

HR, Sutton on Sea, Lincs

There have been whispers of problems with the 1.5TSI for a while. One school of thought is that the uncannily smooth 1.5TSI that journalists drove had been very finely and precisely tuned, which explains all the accolades. But production cars are being turned out with the roughness you describe. It might help to run on superunleaded. Many of the latest engines will run on ordinary unleaded but are actually optimised for super.

Edited by xman

If there are whispers then the journalists were those That write for Honest john,  carwow, what car, auto car, auto express, VW driver, car etc etc.   So seeing as they are journalists and know journalists they can ask VW executives and media department if any of this is based on fact.

Hi all

well after long talks my car has not been rejected by finance company but they have given me big compensation cheque.

they state that the engine noise is part of the cars charater.

the oil leak Skoda are fixing that so that’s fine the sat nav well as the garage can not replicate the issue then hard luck.

the kangaroo if they state that they are aware of the issue and are working on an update to improve and enhance the engines performance. I just want it to run smoothly.

another thing I have seen on here is posts about rough running in Eco mode. 

The answer is that it’s meant to run rough in eco mode. The reason is that when in eco mode the engine is running on 2 cyclinders only as that us it’s deactivation of two cyclinders which is the design and normal running of engine. Know if dealers have been telling customers that they Candi d no fault perhaps they should have explained the deactivation cyclinders to them. After all if you cut out two cyclinders the engine will run rough. I can have my car running on two cyclinders at 80 mph which is normal. 

• Thanks 1

On my 1.4tsi Superb you can barely detect when its in 2 cylinder mode and then only at the lowest rpm at which it is active which is about 1400-1500rpm. I am very sensitive to any off beat noises, but to me when its noticeable, which is rarely, its feels just like a very light wind flutter. 

I only notice it because I am fully aware of the technology and of course the dash tells me when its active and I am listening for it.

The 1.5tsi is the VAG group replacement for the 1.4tsi, first used in the VW Golf and eventually all other group models that used the 1.4 which will disappear. It went to 1.5 because of the chinese market and others where 1.5 has a significant tax advantage.

• Like 2