1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

18 hours ago, AMC150 said:

Whilst I have now started to give it  it loads of revs when moving off which DOES prevent the lurching, it shouldn’t happen if I don’t!!’

I too am a trained engineer and engineering development  is generally forward not backward. New things should be better than the thing they replace. 

The 1.5 is a development of the 1.4, an engine I had no problems with in a previous Octavia

so here I DO disagree with you. 

A “foible” of this  sort should not be difficult to eradicate for a company the size of AVW.

I would have had a DSG but my wife for some reason only known to her will not drive an auto so I bowed to her wishes (foolishly) but who would drive me home from the pub????

I draw the line well before the milk float though.

I wish I could be as relaxed as you clearly are about this “foible”

but sorry, I can’t. It needs sorting.

Sorry to hear of these issues with the manual box.

The DSG does seem naturally suited to the 1.5TSI engine, it could almost be designed around it, having plenty of torque at very low revs. The DSG either changes very quickly from 1st to 2nd, or seems to use 2nd to start off. 

My wifes manual 1.2TSI Fabia can be a little difficult to drive - I find the throttle imprecise so balancing the clutch/revs is tricky sometimes. Is this a general Skoda manual gearbox problem?

This is NOT a 'foible' but a serious fault with the 1.5 TSI manual. I fully support the comments of AMC150 and would encourage every Skoda 1.5 owner to vigorously complain to Skoda about the problem. I have continued to complain both through my dealer and direct with Skoda UK customer services. I have been assured that the problem is under investigation by Skoda's technical department and I therefore hope for a swift resolution. It is not acceptable that Skoda released this engine version with such a serious fault. I have tried all sorts of different techniques i.e. extended use of the clutch and increased revs but still the problem remains. It is NOT driving style or even adapting driving style that makes any difference. Also there is no truth in the previous comment suggesting it only behaves in this way when cold. It behaves in this way at all times. Hopefully Skoda will deliver a solution soon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bazza123 said:

This is NOT a 'foible' but a serious fault with the 1.5 TSI manual. I fully support the comments of AMC150 and would encourage every Skoda 1.5 owner to vigorously complain to Skoda about the problem. I have continued to complain both through my dealer and direct with Skoda UK customer services. I have been assured that the problem is under investigation by Skoda's technical department and I therefore hope for a swift resolution. It is not acceptable that Skoda released this engine version with such a serious fault. I have tried all sorts of different techniques i.e. extended use of the clutch and increased revs but still the problem remains. It is NOT driving style or even adapting driving style that makes any difference. Also there is no truth in the previous comment suggesting it only behaves in this way when cold. It behaves in this way at all times. Hopefully Skoda will deliver a solution soon.

So you think Skoda is going

to engineer new engine for you ?

Edited by 181ce
Fat fingeers

FIAT HQ Staff & FIAT Dealership Employees were telling FIAT 500 drivers that their driving technique was wrong,  the car had characteristics they needed to adjust too.

Then BBC Watchdog run the story and low and behold it turned out their were Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component or Software failings.

As in the Engineers co-c-ked up and the Management signed off the crappy performing models.

Edited by Offski

22 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Maybe Watchdog might be interested to hear about the problem we have????

Mmmmmm......

what a good idea!

Knock yourself out ,go for it.

53 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Maybe Watchdog might be interested to hear about the problem we have????

Mmmmmm......

what a good idea!

Watchdog will only pick up on it if lots of people make them aware. I think we should all let them know. Its worth a try. 

8 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

Sorry to hear of these issues with the manual box.

The DSG does seem naturally suited to the 1.5TSI engine, it could almost be designed around it, having plenty of torque at very low revs. The DSG either changes very quickly from 1st to 2nd, or seems to use 2nd to start off. 

My wifes manual 1.2TSI Fabia can be a little difficult to drive - I find the throttle imprecise so balancing the clutch/revs is tricky sometimes. Is this a general Skoda manual gearbox problem?

It's not just Skoda, some owners of other VAG cars with the 1.5 manual have reported the same issue of not being able to pull off smoothly. 

I had a test drive in a 1.5 manual Volkswagen T-Roc and it did exactly what is described in this thread, got me some funny looks when pulling off at traffic lights :laugh:. I also had a test drive in a 1.5 DSG T-Roc and that was fine. 

Edited by Karoq5

It's time for joint and sustained action I think!  No violence mind you!  

A bombardment of dealer service departments demanding to know what action is being taken is what's required I believe. The more of us who  vehemently complain, the quicker we'll get it sorted.

Dont accept any more of this patronising "it will settle down when the computer gets to know your driving style" or "you need to change your driving style" etc, etc rubbish.

One or two isolated complaints? Individual driving style would be a genuine possibility.

Tens of complaints, across two Skoda models on one forum, plus similar complaints on VW and other VAG forums, and a technical bulletin issued by Skoda UK for a software update. Then this issue is real.

So does skoda have a software fix for this or not?

My wife has the 1.5 manual and its been hopping from day 1. I've experienced the issue myself and we each have over 30yrs driving experience. Its a software issue not a driving style issue.

I'll be visiting my Skoda dealership this afternoon to complain.

The wife loves the car apart from the this issue and the wind noise.

It's off topic, but can anyone who's fitted wind deflectors to their Karoq noticed a reduction in wind noise on the motorway?

Is this affecting all 1.5 manual Karoqs?  Anyone here that do not experience this issue?

Ordered end of May, planned BW 39. That rear door/wheel arch thing (which was my fault I didn't noticed when looking at Karoq) and now this 1st gear issue is now really bugging me. 

I really like Karoq, it has everything I need,  I got good discount and will trade in my old car. 

Not sure if this is deal breaker for me. I dont want DSG, and if this is really big issue,  I can only cancel my order  and revisit Mazda dealership. 

9 minutes ago, Navip said:

Is this affecting all 1.5 manual Karoqs?  Anyone here that do not experience this issue?

Ordered end of May, planned BW 39. That rear door/wheel arch thing (which was my fault I didn't noticed when looking at Karoq) and now this 1st gear issue is now really bugging me. 

I really like Karoq, it has everything I need,  I got good discount and will trade in my old car. 

Not sure if this is deal breaker for me. I dont want DSG, and if this is really big issue,  I can only cancel my order  and revisit Mazda dealership. 

The wheel arch thing just isn’t an issue for me and the first gear glitch is only mildly annoying, pop it in Eco, that’s what works for me. 

46 minutes ago, Navip said:

Go and test drive a 1.5tsi manual yourself. Your decision.

Like many more it seems, mine  isn’t right. It’s a great car but this issue spoils what is otherwise a lovely motor. 

I can mask the problem by keeping the revs up when moving off but if I don’t, it’s still there, Frustrating!!

16 hours ago, Navip said:

Find a 1.0L manual. No problems with it, power is good enough, costs less. I switched from the 1.5 because of this issue and don't regret it at all. 

Had to take my 1.5 into Hayselden Skoda due to an intermittent misfire and they have updated the engine management software. Pulls away a lot smoother and engine performs better between 1,000 to 2,000 rpm.  

• Like 1