Octavia 245 Owners Club

On 24/08/2019 at 15:50, martysparty99 said:

My Current VRS lease runs out May2020.  I am thinking ahead to what I get next.

So no new VRS until at least end of 2020, hmm what to get to fill the gap!?

I’m in a similar position, as my pch runs out in April 20. You had any thoughts yet? As I haven’t seen any deals anywhere close to what I have, I think I will go back to buying something. Have been looking at the typical things outside of Skoda though. I always like to have a change. 

Salesperson didn't realise my new 245 came with over £3,200 of factory options I only got charged for the spare wheel, Black Pack, 19" Extremes and Dsg box. Bonus to find it has electric folding mirrors, heated front seats, heated front windscreen and washer nozzles plus Lane assist, Blind Spot monitoring and Ambient lighting pack.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Salesperson didn't realise my new 245 came with over £3,200 of factory options I only got charged for the spare wheel, Black Pack, 19" Extremes and Dsg box. Bonus to find it has electric folding mirrors, heated front seats, heated front windscreen and washer nozzles plus Lane assist, Blind Spot monitoring and Ambient lighting pack.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice, 3 of those items you list are standard not options, black pack, lane  assist and ambient lighting all on my car. Rest correctly pointed out are cost options. I have the spare wheel too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Very nice, 3 of those items you list are standard not options, black pack, lane  assist and ambient lighting all on my car. Rest correctly pointed out are cost options. I have the spare wheel too.

Thanks bit confusing on the configurator because it suggests you have to pick KESSY with the Blind Spot option but mine came with 3 keys like my 2017 Black 245. I honestly didn't even sit in it because I thought I knew what I was getting from owning one already for 2 years but the winter options will come in very handy I'm sure.:thumbup:Already seeing the rev counter 500rpm lower at 60mph than is the case with the 6 speed manual.:)

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

:thumbup:Already seeing the rev counter 500rpm lower at 60mph than is the case with the 6 speed manual.:)

DSG !!!!

We tried to tell you

How the hell do you think I get the fuel economy I do !!!!!

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Perhaps the extras were from an earlier order or are a run out bonus if you made the video. Either way,nice colour. I do like the Octy's space  but just din't like the squinty headlights. I think you might miss the instant response from the manual even when you map it. Looking forward to lots of posts from you about ECO mode economy, DSG is good for that.

On 30/08/2019 at 10:17, ScottyNS said:

I’m in a similar position, as my pch runs out in April 20. You had any thoughts yet? As I haven’t seen any deals anywhere close to what I have, I think I will go back to buying something. Have been looking at the typical things outside of Skoda though. I always like to have a change. 

I keep looking at all sorts, like you I like a change.  As you say there isnt alot around at the sort of deal I have either.  My main criteria it has to be around the same performance levels as the 245 but for around the same cost.  But as far as I have seen there is nothing that comes close unless you spend silly money a month

50 minutes ago, martysparty99 said:

I keep looking at all sorts, like you I like a change.  As you say there isnt alot around at the sort of deal I have either.  My main criteria it has to be around the same performance levels as the 245 but for around the same cost.  But as far as I have seen there is nothing that comes close unless you spend silly money a month

Tell me about it! I knew the pch etc deals at the time were bonkers, well and truly spoilt! I've given in on looking for equivalent performance and I simply don't use it anyway. I think I am going to cheat and look for similar torque, that way I might not feel it too much (maybe). Means going going to a diesel, but that doesn't bother me to much. I'm also after smoother ride, two years older and I have had enough of rattling around! 

1 minute ago, ScottyNS said:

Tell me about it! I knew the pch etc deals at the time were bonkers, well and truly spoilt! I've given in on looking for equivalent performance and I simply don't use it anyway. I think I am going to cheat and look for similar torque, that way I might not feel it too much (maybe). Means going going to a diesel, but that doesn't bother me to much. I'm also after smoother ride, two years older and I have had enough of rattling around! 

Yeah we were spoilt!  I dont say i need the performance but every now and then it is so nice to floor it and see how it compares to other mundane motors!  I do often get told off by the missus and kids to slow down!  So far not been caught by plod but im sure that day might come.  So like you maybe its times to get something slightly less pokey.  Oh will will keep looking and see what I can find

On 29/08/2019 at 08:56, Scotty72 said:

You wern't using sport mode as I clearly mentioned in my post! ;) Normal it will be in 7th way before 70 lol Sport it likes to hold 6th.

I wasn't going to use sport mode or S on an accompanied test drive...........

1 minute ago, SC03OTT said:

Why not?  It’s not like the Turbo Boost button in KITT.  The mode selection in these cars are bordering on more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. 

From past experiences in my Superb, an EOS & SWMBO's Mk 2 FL Octy vRS, dropping the shifter into S produces a lot of noise & some over-exuberant shifting algorithms. 

I always prefer to use the paddles, 'cos I can see the road ahead & make my own decisions. (When / if Skoda transmissions have full access to a GPS map then I'll rethink....)

We both run later model (Mk.7) Golfs, & find that race mode is just too silly for us, (Senior citizens, etc.) she usually selects "S" when required, whereas I still prefer paddling.

Same result, pretty much  & much more civilised than kick-down.

Marketing gimmicks, possibly true, but we find that (in individual mode) the suspension & steering settings to be useful. 

2 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

I wasn't going to use sport mode or S on an accompanied test drive...........

LOL keep digging.. why wouldn't you use S on a test drive? An accompanied test drive has never ever held me back from trying everything mode wise a car might offer.

Seriously commenting on something you haven't tried and also having not read the post when you are arguing with owners of the car helping someone who's just bought an identical model is beyond me. :) Carry on.. LOL

1 hour ago, Scotty72 said:

LOL keep digging.. why wouldn't you use S on a test drive? An accompanied test drive has never ever held me back from trying everything mode wise a car might offer.

Hmmmm I used race mode on an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio test drive until I realised it took all driver aids away. I was ok ok with all the traction control being off & even the over-boost was good fun (the road was dry) but, it was a long, long time ago since I last drove without ABS.

Both I & the Salesperson changed underwear shortly afterwards, in different cubicles I might add!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Hmmmm I used race mode on an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio test drive until I realised it took all driver aids away. I was ok ok with all the traction control being off & even the over-boost was good fun (the road was dry) but, it was a long, long time ago since I last drove without ABS.

Both I & the Salesperson changed underwear shortly afterwards, in different cubicles I might add!!!

A salesman once told me that prospective customers weren't supposed to exceed 40mph on test drives..... this was after I'd comfortably exceeded that (on a de-restricted dual carriageway, obviously..)

Motorbike test rides are also "interesting..."

15 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Well thats down to the Alfa system.. sounds good to me. Driver aids traction/stability control are an excuse to allow most useless drivers a chance to control powerful cars of today, playstation generation. However disabling ABS LOL I don't know of another brand that does that even Porsche.

So thanks I must arrange a test drive sounds great :)

12 hours ago, Cakemonster said:

A salesman once told me that prospective customers weren't supposed to exceed 40mph on test drives..... this was after I'd comfortably exceeded that (on a de-restricted dual carriageway, obviously..)

I don't think I've EVER not exceeded 40mph on a test drive - even when I bought my first new car in 1979. When I test drove an Audi RS4 the only advice from the salesperson was not to get a speeding ticket - and he did seem to enjoy it when I 'gave it lots of beans' B)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I don't think I've EVER not exceeded 40mph on a test drive - even when I bought my first new car in 1979. When I test drove an Audi RS4 the only advice from the salesperson was not to get a speeding ticket - and he did seem to enjoy it when I 'gave it lots of beans' B)

Same - last car I test drove properly Boxster 718 S PDK, this is NOT a slow car despite what some people might think. I said to the salesguy I can't drive this properly on the road its just too dam fast and I value my license.. so I got a free 718 day at their Silverstone test track just for asking :) Drove S and non S both manual and PDK on their test track and the awesome back roads around the main F1 circuit. Though sadly not on the circuit itself.

Why didn't I end up getting one? Family and becoming a father.. new house and family barge Octy vRS required instead. One day lol

20 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Seriously commenting on something you haven't tried and also having not read the post when you are arguing with owners of the car helping someone who's just bought an identical model is beyond me. :) Carry on.. LOL

Why, well I didn't like the car enough to extend it, ( took it to NSL+ on a local motorway with no comment from the salesperson, 'twas enough for me), which is annoying 'cos I've always wanted to like the Mk. 3 Octavias.

I/we have driven a few DSG vRS's & found them to be missing something, probably interior quality & some other intangible which we can't identify. 

We've used a rented, albeit a more basic model, Octy 3 for two weeks in Spain & found it to be very practical & sensible but not "right" for us as our daily driver.

SWMBO & I agree that if we drive to a dealer in the car we're considering changing, have a test drive & then return home in the current car & it's still all you need / want, you keep it but if it isn't, then it's time to swap.  Simples... 

Same problem for us with the Superb 3, especially the FWD 2.0 TSi, we've driven a few of the early ones & compared to our old girl, they all felt sluggish, & not worth the cost to change.  

If you want to assume that I/we are a PITA, that's your choice, but she was very happy to swap her vRS Octy for a Golf Wagon, & I sold my EOS when I found the Golf that I liked & could afford. 

So, I'm waiting & hoping that the next generation Octavia will be better than the current car, & that I like it enough to raid the piggy-bank!   I'm optimistic, but I suspect that the cold hand of VW will prevail ..........

DC