MY19

29 minutes ago, boydeee said:

I've just had my SEL 280 build week provisionally confirmed as week 37.

It's also been confirmed that it will be a 272 not a 280 as reported by you kind and knowledgeable lot!

Hopefully see it in October some time 

New WLTP mean

most engines are being downgraded.  The golf R is dropping 10bhp from 306bhp to 296bhp (300PS)

11 minutes ago, Reddazforever said:

New WLTP mean

most engines are being downgraded.  The golf R is dropping 10bhp from 306bhp to 296bhp (300PS)

Way of the world unfortunately. Won’t be noticed in everyday driving anyway. 

272HP vs 280HP is a 3% difference. You are unlikely to notice this in real life. In fact a good (top end tolerance) 272 will have more HP than a bad (low end tolerance) 280. For every day motoring torque is more important, and the current 280 engine produces maximum torque from 1700 to 5600rpm. If this is maintained I'd suggest you'll never notice the difference!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 100andthirty said:

272HP vs 280HP is a 3% difference. You are unlikely to notice this in real life. In fact a good (top end tolerance) 272 will have more HP than a bad (low end tolerance) 280. For every day motoring torque is more important, and the current 280 engine produces maximum torque from 1700 to 5600rpm. If this is maintained I'd suggest you'll never notice the difference!

Apart from the smell and noisy fans when the car is doing a GPF regen :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 100andthirty said:

A bad ( low end tolerance ) engine ! What's that then ? :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Apart from the smell and noisy fans when the car is doing a GPF regen :D

I believe the active regen is not required as petrol exhausts run hot enough as it is.

Be intersting to see if there are other problems though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I believe the active regen is not required as petrol exhausts run hot enough as it is.

Be intersting to see if there are other problems though.

1st gen of this technology, there's going to be 'some'. 

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

A bad ( low end tolerance ) engine ! What's that then ? :biggrin:

Not all engines will output the same power and torque from the factory, let alone once run in.

Skoda (and pretty much all other VAG products) are known to be slightly pessimistic about hp ratings, though. On the box it might say 276hp, but you're way more likely to get 290-300hp.

I suspect the engine is exactly the same MY18-MY19, and the loss of hp is only due to the added "restrictions" from the WLTP equipment in the exhaust.

^^^ Guff on pessimistic on the 'budget brands'

You buy a vehicle that has the official Max PS, & Max Nm Torque figures.  You pays your money and what is shown as Max is actually Minimum that it will produce.

Those are at the worst possible temps / weathers / hight above sea level in your world region or even globally on the fuel shown as the recommended minimum.

So no way in the UK with Height above sea level the vehicle will be at no more than 3,500 ft, or ambient temps higher that 35*oC or lows below -27*oC 

on UK Fuels are the Official Figures optimistic.

As we know VW Group will have a heavier VW or Audi with the same drivetrain as a Skoda or SEAT show the 'Premium Models' with better figures.

Oddly or not so oddly. they VW Group were caught out with Implausible Co2 g/km with Euro 6 Petrol & Diesels in some VW, Audi & SEAT and Skoda were not.

VW emissions scandal_ Audi and Seat deny CO2 cover-up _ Autocar.mhtml

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kriva said:

Not all engines will output the same power and torque from the factory, let alone once run in.

Skoda (and pretty much all other VAG products) are known to be slightly pessimistic about hp ratings, though. On the box it might say 276hp, but you're way more likely to get 290-300hp.

I suspect the engine is exactly the same MY18-MY19, and the loss of hp is only due to the added "restrictions" from the WLTP equipment in the exhaust.

I recall seeing dyno printouts on SEATCUPRA.NET of both a Leon Cupra 280 and a 290 which both produced ~300bhp, from the factory (on the same dyno).  The power curve of the graph was practically the same too so the general consensus was the difference between the 280 and 290 Cupra was one number, on a badge and a nice little marketing exercise from SEAT. 

As @Offski has pointed out above, we in the UK are lucky to have climates/altitudes that offer induction engines the best chance to operate at their upper tolerances and max permissible performance; twinned with higher quality/octane fuels it's a recipe to get some % more than the (minimum possible) quoted manufacturers figures. 

Exactly why people who continually run their TSI engines on 95 Supermarket unleaded are quick to let you know they do and that it's never caused any issues and the car runs fine, etc etc.  Well yes, it's designed to do that but it WILL RUN BETTER if you run higher octane fuels.   Manufacturers don't produce region specific engines, they have to be able to operate at extremes and everything in between. 

• Thanks 1

Little point if they have not a scooby really what the Spec coming into the UK will be to be supplied in the last 5 months of 2018 & on and the WLTP / Co2 g/km figures, VED band with the different models and then customer can know what they can have if restricted business users.

So pulling a finger out is important, and some thought of the potential customers that keep them in jobs.

Where can I find the build week of my Superb? The local dealership had the car in stock, so I wasn’t provided with information about BW or delivery dates. Rather interesting is that I have the RVC nozzle that cleans the camera, not sure if it is a MY19 feature. Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, crossmania337 said:

Where can I find the build week of my Superb? The local dealership had the car in stock, so I wasn’t provided with information about BW or delivery dates. Rather interesting is that I have the RVC nozzle that cleans the camera, not sure if it is a MY19 feature. Thanks in advance.

As much as I know, all the Superbs with rear view camera have screen washers. It's the reason why you cant buy rear view camera (on hatchback) without rear window wiper.

On 05/07/2018 at 18:55, boydeee said:

I've just had my SEL 280 build week provisionally confirmed as week 37.

It's also been confirmed that it will be a 272 not a 280 as reported by you kind and knowledgeable lot!

Hopefully see it in October some time 

You'll be getting the 7 speed dsg box then, rather than the old 6 speed? Should be more relaxed motorway cruising, better mpg.

2 minutes ago, themacster said:

You'll be getting the 7 speed dsg box then, rather than the old 6 speed? Should be more relaxed motorway cruising, better mpg.

I'm not sure at the moment, though, it would be nice. I don't mind either way  B)

12 hours ago, alf.onso said:

As much as I know, all the Superbs with rear view camera have screen washers. It's the reason why you cant buy rear view camera (on hatchback) without rear window wiper.

Not true.

Here in Aus, both Superb hatch and wagon come with RVC as standard.

The wagon gets the rear wiper.

The hatch doesn't even get the option to have a wiper.

I know the rear wipers r available on hatches in other market.  For some reason VW Aus decided Superb hatches don't need it.  Bleeping idiots.

I had a rear wiper on my mk2 Octavia RS hatch - was so handy.

I miss having one in my Superb hatch.

10 hours ago, boydeee said:

I'm not sure at the moment, though, it would be nice. I don't mind either way  B)

From what I’ve read on various sites/magazines/forums you will get the 7 spd box.  Allegedly quicker changes but too marginal to detect though apparently it does feel smother at lower speeds.  Some Golf R owners swear it feels better, others say they can’t notice any difference.  It’ll be nice to find out, when you get yours. 

Motorway cruising should be at ~2k revs so economy should be improved.  The current 6spd 280 sits a few hundred revs higher, at 70mph and it’s very hushed. 

Any improvements over the current 6 spd box will be great for new owners as I can’t fault mine at all, it suits the car/engine perfectly and if the 7 spd box is better then it will be very good indeed. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

Not true.

Here in Aus, both Superb hatch and wagon come with RVC as standard.

The wagon gets the rear wiper.

The hatch doesn't even get the option to have a wiper.

I know the rear wipers r available on hatches in other market.  For some reason VW Aus decided Superb hatches don't need it.  Bleeping idiots.

I had a rear wiper on my mk2 Octavia RS hatch - was so handy.

I miss having one in my Superb hatch.

Hahhh, I must move to Australia!

If only you didn't walk upside down and drive on the wrong side of the road there .....

I wanted to get rear view camera but didn't want rear wiper. Not many gravel roads around here so I never felt needing it on my MK2 Superb nor on my MK3. But I really wanted rear view camera (a cool thingy, probably not much use but still cool!). As you can only get RVC with rear wiper (I believe it is same in entire mainland Europe, not sure about UK though) my dealer was helpfull and offered that I would buy my Superb (hatchback) with rear wiper, they would remove the wiper and wiper motor and replace rear window with non wiper version (other one has a hole). I found it a bit too extreme solution so I have no RVC .....

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

From what I’ve read on various sites/magazines/forums you will get the 7 spd box.  Allegedly quicker changes but too marginal to detect though apparently it does feel smother at lower speeds.  Some Golf R owners swear it feels better, others say they can’t notice any difference.  It’ll be nice to find out, when you get yours. 

Motorway cruising should be at ~2k revs so economy should be improved.  The current 6spd 280 sits a few hundred revs higher, at 70mph and it’s very hushed. 

Any improvements over the current 6 spd box will be great for new owners as I can’t fault mine at all, it suits the car/engine perfectly and if the 7 spd box is better then it will be very good indeed. 

That all sounds very promising! My current civic sits at 3.5k at 70mph, 4k at 80mph...not the quietest as you can imagine! Anything less than that will be better :D

I think the refinement is something I'm looking forward to the most. I came from a Golf 7 Gti manual to the civic and it was like going back in time! I do love the simplicity of the Honda but I'm looking forward to having some torque back in my life again.

I currently average around 30-32mpg with a fair amount of town driving so I feel the 280, sorry, 272, should return similar. I'll still be familiar with Shell and Tesco 99 and all the staff will send me Christmas cards as always!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alf.onso said:

Hahhh, I must move to Australia!

If only you didn't walk upside down and drive on the wrong side of the road there .....

I wanted to get rear view camera but didn't want rear wiper. Not many gravel roads around here so I never felt needing it on my MK2 Superb nor on my MK3. But I really wanted rear view camera (a cool thingy, probably not much use but still cool!). As you can only get RVC with rear wiper (I believe it is same in entire mainland Europe, not sure about UK though) my dealer was helpfull and offered that I would buy my Superb (hatchback) with rear wiper, they would remove the wiper and wiper motor and replace rear window with non wiper version (other one has a hole). I found it a bit too extreme solution so I have no RVC .....

You can retrofit it, it is on sale in  skoda e-shop and dealer can fit it, alltogether ~500€. No wiper.

Edited by Paikesejanku
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, alf.onso said:

...............As you can only get RVC with rear wiper (I believe it is same in entire mainland Europe, not sure about UK though) ..........

Yes, it's the same in the UK, or it was when I was buying mine last year.  Mine wasn't new when I bought it (ex management), but it was in the specifications of new models available at that time.

I think an RVC is now standard in the UK, at least on the L&K?  I guess you have no choice about the rear wiper now as they'll all have them

22 hours ago, alf.onso said:

...........Not many gravel roads around here so I never felt needing it on my MK2 Superb nor on my MK3............

Neither do we, but my rear window is thick with dust in this hot, dry weather.

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to order a Superb SEL Executive 1.4 act DSG tomorrow. Can I expect that the engine will be the later 1.5 as fitted to the Karoq?

If so, I would not expect any teething troubles as it has been on the Karoq for at least six months now.  Also,any ideas about lead times for this car. It will probably be a factory order as I will be specifying quite a few extras such as heated windscreen and steering wheel.