noise insulation

After having to do some DIY to my own superb (rear tire noise, not sorted yet), and reading all this, I find it unbelievable that a car of this level is so poor when it comes to noise... I too notice creaking noises from many places and it makes me wonder how the car will be in 10 years, as I buy car to keep. Our other car is an Opel astra estate that's going strong for almost 20 years now. It was no noises from the doors or window rattles and even the dash is not that bad. The Seperb is already worse in some areas than a 20 year old car!!! 

Blimey this post is concerning me is the Superb III that noisy or is it related to similar noise/droning issues found with earlier Octavia III's which seemed to have something to do with the hatch etc? Or is it also the trend to have lower and lower profile tyres these days?

My old 2014 mkII Superb seems very quiet indeed with its 205/55 R16 tall profile tyres especially when I fitted it with Crossclimates and has no rattles except for one that comes from the passenger seat when I go too fast - might just be relative or my hearing going off in old age!   

Edited by bigjohn

7 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Thanks for sharing Digi, well done, really look forward to watching this (after Space X launch) as it has been on my list. Any difference to the door 'thunk' when closing?

Yes definitely now a solid THUNK. The door sounds just like my old 2003 Passat now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Blimey this post is concerning me is the Superb III that noisy or is it related to similar noise/droning issues found with earlier Octavia III's which seemed to have something to do with the hatch etc? Or is it also the trend to have lower and lower profile tyres these days?

My old 2014 mkII Superb seems very quiet indeed with its 205/55 R16 tall profile tyres especially when I fitted it with Crossclimates and has no rattles except for one that comes from the passenger seat when I go too fast - might just be relative or my hearing going off in old age!   

Its a combination of everything...

1. Less NVH materials (cost down, weight down)

2. Thinner sheet metal 

3, Lower profile tyres

4. Silly design decisions, like creating a literal trumpet horn at the bottom of the B Pillar

5. Hatchback design 

6. Thinner glass

7. Expectations - The thing looks and drives like a luxury saloon. So you have higher standards than for a cheap Toyoyta :)

...the superb is superbly quiet until you drive it on coarse-chip roads for extended periods. This is country/region dependent. Then you end up with a headache after 2 hours. The things you can do here make a difference, but they are all incremental and only get you so far. 

Also to be fair, I hired a top of the line Volvo XC-90 last year and it was no better. That was in a car 2x the cost. 

Edited by digifish

DOH! Follow-up. (No video sorry, I started tinkering and got stuck in and forgot, although it's exactly the same as the drivers side, minus one connector on the window switch area).

I had a KESSY system error that only manifested on the test-drive after doing the Passengers side today

I forgot to reconnect the antenna. It seems if any sensor is open circuit, the whole system goes down. Drivers and passengers handles failed to work.

This one, as it's not really visible looking down from the top during the final connector check. 

Kessy.thumb.jpg.be1f4e69b61ec4fdd336b4d51d490571.jpg 

Just a comment on my experiences to date.   I'd reiterate what I've said previously about the doors -   Leave them alone.  whatever you add will make negligible difference.  When you look at other vehicles, the doors never appear to have much treatment or weight added to them.   Adding mass to the doors may also affect the accelerometer reading for side crash airbag deployment.

What I found interesting recently was looking at the teardown of the Tesla Model Y on Munro & Associates YouTube postings.   Looking for the way they've addressed footwell and various frame noise issues is quite enlightening.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nodigital said:

Just a comment on my experiences to date.   I'd reiterate what I've said previously about the doors -   Leave them alone.  

I'd agree ... unless you are bored or obsessive ;)

1 hour ago, nodigital said:

Just a comment on my experiences to date.   I'd reiterate what I've said previously about the doors -   Leave them alone.  

What I found interesting recently was looking at the teardown of the Tesla Model Y on Munro & Associates YouTube postings.   Looking for the way they've addressed footwell and various frame noise issues is quite enlightening.   

Thanks for the heads up...this is indeed great...

13 minutes ago, MiniEggs said:

Daft question I assume you don’t get anymore sound proofing in an L&K over an SE ? I know they put different suspension on the lower priced models  just wondered if they did other things too

Ahm, there is same suspension across all options? The difference is that L&K comes with DCC as "standard" while its optional on others. But the noise wise its the same suspension setup. You don't get double wishbone suspension with DCC for example...
Noise wise newer model years have extra noise insulation, but otherwise they're exact same cars just more equipment. 

by these two production options i can guess not all series are equipped

3W6	Interior noise suppression measures: Additional interior noise suppression
2B1	Exterior noise suppression measures: Additional exterior noise suppression

7 hours ago, JackySi said:

Ahm, there is same suspension across all options? The difference is that L&K comes with DCC as "standard" while its optional on others. But the noise wise its the same suspension setup. You don't get double wishbone suspension with DCC for example...
Noise wise newer model years have extra noise insulation, but otherwise they're exact same cars just more equipment. 

Actually I think I have confused myself with the forthcoming Octavia which I think gets rear torsion beam on lower models and multilink on higher ones. Perhaps next time around for the Superb 

55 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

by these two production options i can guess not all series are equipped

3W6	Interior noise suppression measures: Additional interior noise suppression
2B1	Exterior noise suppression measures: Additional exterior noise suppression

Interesting i wonder if this is double glazing and more foam

On 30/05/2020 at 20:03, bigjohn said:

It's not that the S3 is a noisy car at all. But it is a big car with a S-class sized acoustic chamber (interior) built to a Passat budget. My 1.4tsi was quiter inside than my 2011 Passat before I added insulation, which was not done out of necessity, but like most members here more out of an enthusiasm for some fettling to make a good car even better. I drive in Ireland with road road surfaces typical of most European countries, and the noisy Pirelli P7s have been replaced with 68db tyres and that alone accounted for the biggest drop in road noise.  

I've owned many cars, and as this one punches above its weight in so many areas expectations can run high. It's remarkable what Skoda have done with this car. As I have said before I ditched a BMW F10 for it and have not missed the 5 series for a second.

1 hour ago, MiniEggs said:

Interesting i wonder if this is double glazing and more foam

no, double glass options weren't available in far 2016

VW6	Acoustic laminated front windows
PKY	Acoustic laminated front windows + SUNSET

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/436798-acoustic-laminated-front-windows-my18-option-in-the-uk/

I was thinking, does anyone know if any suspension bushings /  components from the Audi A8,  fit the Superb? 

I definitely think some changes to bushings, strut mounts etc could make a big difference.

Unfortunately kits are all about making NVH worse ...

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/superpro-f-and-r-enhancement-bush-kit-fits-vw-kit5238k?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-nx9sji6QIVJNWWCh0iNQa9EAQYASABEgLLj_D_BwE

Hmmm....

https://www.febi.com/en/car/nvh/

image.png.78b7e44af7b47f10c785b05a709e6d92.png

Edited by digifish

I wonder if the 21/22 replacement Superb will have better NVH to help sell them or same/less because they will be desperate to save cash in current climate.

With them selling SUVs in normal times by the container load and the Octavia just had a significant update do you think there is any danger of the Superb not being part of the near future lineup ?

• Like 1

Not sure... But is not only cost but weight they try to reduce...

As a fact, same year and roughly same trim as my superb3 , the octavia it has far more noise. And this is my years on the same road and also the octavia owner trying my superb...

We must not forget as superb will never go over passat and a4 in terms of some stuff as noise...

Again we must think and balance this noise insulating game as gaining weight is going to detriment other areas  like performance, hence i choosed to do only boot area and rear wheel arches from outside. Probably the only major step in noise rejection would be the windows now in my case to get down 3db or 4 at over 60mph.

Do to weight gain in my case ( having full size spare wheel and the dodomats i put in) i had to adjust ride height on the back to fall in specs as weight load 2 (3Q0511115AJ) type for standard suspension could not cope anymore with the extra load unless i would run the car always with under a quarter of fuel... So to achieve this had to step up to weight load 6 (3Q0511115N)...

Edited by SpAwNtoHell

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting, every time I see an opportunity to ask elsewhere on non Skoda channels about Superb interior noise levels compared either to "premium" or other mass market rivals the words I get back are things like "slightly" or "a little" etc I don't see others saying it is night and day nosier 

Just curious

Just now, MiniEggs said:

It's interesting, every time I see an opportunity to ask elsewhere on non Skoda channels about Superb interior noise levels compared either to "premium" or other mass market rivals the words I get back are things like "slightly" or "a little" etc I don't see others saying it is night and day nosier 

Just curious

I would say it's much noisier, but I'm one of those people who's very picky. 

• Like 1

Just my driving impression after 5 months and 5,000 miles but my 2019 Superb Sportline Hatch with the 7 speed DSG and 272 petrol engine is very quiet and even the UHP Bridgestone SOO1 tyres are quiet considering their low profile and width (235/40R19). One of the quietest cars I have ever been in until you drop down some gears and give it some then it wakes up.😆

9 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just my driving impression after 5 months and 5,000 miles but my 2019 Superb Sportline Hatch with the 7 speed DSG and 272 petrol engine is very quiet and even the UHP Bridgestone SOO1 tyres are quiet considering their low profile and width (235/40R19). One of the quietest cars I have ever been in until you drop down some gears and give it some then it wakes up.😆

Then you don't have coarse chip roads ;) 

The car itself is quiet. Although a little more wind noise than some. Its the mechanical vibrations and reverberations from the tyres through the suspension and then into the frame and so cabin on noisy tarmac.

Edited by digifish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, digifish said:

Then you don't have coarse chip roads ;) 

The car itself is quiet. Although a little more wind noise than some. Its the mechanical vibrations and reverberations from the tyres through the suspension and then into the frame and so cabin on noisy tarmac.

70% of my driving is indeed on smooth nicely tarmac motorway and I've not sampled it much on noisier sections of the concrete M25. No squeaks, rattles, groans or even wind noise even at 200kph. You have to keep one eye on the digital speedo with 363PS (268KW) available.😍

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

70% of my driving is indeed on smooth nicely tarmac motorway and I've not sampled it much on noisier sections of the concrete M25. No squeaks, rattles, groans or even wind noise even at 200kph. You have to keep one eye on the digital speedo with 363PS (268KW) available.😍

Concrete?! :) Luxury...

These are the surfaces I am talking about not concrete or Asphalt (left side) but Chip Seal (right side). This stuff causes a roar inside the cabin.

chipseallead.jpg

Edited by digifish
  • Like 1