noise insulation

1 minute ago, Steviedakota said:

I was tempted to inject expanding foam into the sills to stop sound travelling along them. I was concerned though that I might be interfering with cables or water drainage. 

If you are thinking of using it, I would inject it into a plastic bag placed in the area. This means it won't actually stick to the car and you have a chance of removing it if required. I would say it would make a very effective sound killer.

Another consideration, though very unlikely, is if the car ever needed body work in the affected area the expanding foam could make the repair more difficult. 

I've never used such foam. What does it feel like once it cures? is it spongy or does it harden? 

1 minute ago, lukk said:

I've never used such foam. What does it feel like once it cures? is it spongy or does it harden? 

It dries hard like a polystyrene. It can easily be cut and sanded to shape once set. It's also horrible to work with, incredibly sticky and will stain pretty much whatever it touches.

5 minutes ago, lukk said:

what are the apps names? yeah there are many rubbish ones out there so its disappointing that Niosh app is only on iOS

IMG_20210608_145557.jpg

34 minutes ago, lukk said:

what are the apps names? yeah there are many rubbish ones out there so its disappointing that Niosh app is only on iOS

this noise measuring app by Bosh for android seems to be good. You might still need to calibrate it and sense check it. I think you can sense check it by going into a very silent room and see vs the reference value for what it shoudl be

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bosch.nvh_analysis&showAllReviews=true

would anyone know if the car is still drivable if I take apart to console? So the panel with the door lock / start-stop button etc would be disconnected.  Asking as just received my mass loaded vinyl so could start taking the things apart on one day and lay it on another, reassemble on a different day if needed. I have a heavily pregnant wife and kids to shuffle so might not be able to commit doing it all in one day but still need the car.  

1 hour ago, lukk said:

¿Alguien sabría si el coche todavía se puede conducir si lo desarmo para consolarlo? Por lo tanto, el panel con el botón de bloqueo de la puerta / inicio-parada, etc., se desconectaría. Preguntando como acabo de recibir mi vinilo cargado en masa, podría comenzar a desarmar las cosas un día y colocarlas en otro, volver a ensamblar en un día diferente si es necesario. Tengo una esposa e hijos en estado de gestación que tengo que barajar, por lo que es posible que no pueda comprometerme a hacerlo todo en un día, pero aún necesito el auto.  

In an entire day, from early morning until late at night, it may. But if you don't have experience, things can get complicated. Things were coming to me to start soundproofing and I will do it in stages, because my wife and daughter do not leave me much time, especially my wife ...

3 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

In an entire day, from early morning until late at night, it may. But if you don't have experience, things can get complicated. Things were coming to me to start soundproofing and I will do it in stages, because my wife and daughter do not leave me much time, especially my wife ...

Yeah it’s my third stage now

after doing the boot and the doors. 

anyway I just started to working under the rear seats without taking the front seats out. The stuff kids leave underneath…

Also what should I do with those few openings I see in the metal sheets. e.g. under the seats. I see no obvious purpose for them but they there. With the antivibration tiles I can just leave them open but will be laying the MLV now and my understanding is I should aim to close any opening as the airborne sound will get through them. any one have an idea?

26DA8478-9783-4602-99F5-633D7CAC10A4.jpeg

Edited by lukk
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:22 AM, lukk said:

anyway I just started to working under the rear seats without taking the front seats out.

When I lifted my rear seat there was already some sort of cotton blanket. You can see it in this video @ 0:21

Edited by digifish

I just did the B-pillar on the driver's side.  I have stuffed high density foam up to the top of the belt.  I have not noticed a difference.  I have broken a metal staple and now the height adapter will not raise or lower.

I have ordered 14mm staples which I think are but you may not buy in a store tomorrow.  

By the way, the screw cannot be dropped all the way down because the shape of the housing prevents it.

Disappointed.  I'm going to do the trunk.

IMG-20210613-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20210613-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20210613-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20210613-WA0023.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabrielem said:

maybe I should have put noico butyl ??

hey gabriel yes you should have stuck some noico on the metal parts, especially on the ouside of the metal outside. While it's good you put some on the plastic part from the inside it's the metal that is the main source of vibrations.

You seat regulator most likely doesn't move because you haven't aligned it whet re-assembling. When putting the cover back you need to make sure that your seat belt is set to it's highest position. Therefore open the thing again / take out the panels, and first check if you can change the seat belt height now. Most likely you can and if this is the case you only need to align the things for it to work properly

And add noico to the metal. please see what I did. I am using close foam carpet underlay (4mm) to stuff things. I put everywhere I could withouth preventing the belt to work properly. BTW you can't put too much stuff inside the plastic panel as it will start rubbing against the seat

please see my pics below. The first one shows the carpet underlay before it is properly stuck inside. Put as much stuff as you can but keep separate from the belt mechanism.

the B panels made a big difference in audible noise coming from the around my head.

pillar B_0.jpg

pillar B_1.jpg

pillar B_2.jpg

Edited by lukk
  • Thanks 1

Yes the blanket is there. Still the sits, especially the vertical part near the legs, are very resonant.

as for the holes I was referring to the round holes with no obvious purpose. there are no clips going through them so I cannot figure 100% out there purpose. These could be to provide some sort of access or to the other layer of the car or ventilation? but most likely there are there to reduce weight. There are such holes throughout the chassis and this was the most like explanation I found on the internet - weight reduction

I have disassembled the centre console now and I am waiting for my triple square bits to take the sits out. The central console took me a good few hours, mostly due to lack of exactly knowing how to proceed, also workshop manual isn't always clear enough, at least not for a layman. Anyway I got there without breaking things. I am able to lift the carpet under the front passenger / driver legs and it's shocking how resonant some parts of the floor are, especially those closest to the engine. They are covered by some sort of a rubber matt but I guess noico will help, then I'll lay my carpet underlay and MLV.

BTW the improvement in noise after doing the boot, b pillars and doors is actually large. My wife and I finally don't find the car annoyingly loud, we can hear our conversations and other noises in the car with clarity. It was defo worth the effort. After doing the floor I'll see if I can still hear too much low hum from the road and tyres. If that is the case I'll do back wheel arches from the outside but for this I'll need to order more noice

When I lifted my rear seat there was already some sort of cotton blanket. You can see it in this video @ 0:21

Edited by lukk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lukk said:

Oye Gabriel, sí, debiste haber pegado un poco de noico en las partes metálicas, especialmente en el exterior del metal exterior. Si bien es bueno que coloques un poco en la parte de plástico desde el interior, el metal es la principal fuente de vibraciones.

Lo más probable es que el regulador de su asiento no se mueva porque no lo ha alineado antes de volver a montarlo. Cuando vuelva a colocar la funda, asegúrese de que el cinturón de seguridad esté colocado en la posición más alta. Por lo tanto, abra la cosa nuevamente / saque los paneles, y primero verifique si puede cambiar la altura del cinturón de seguridad ahora. Lo más probable es que pueda y si este es el caso, solo necesita alinear las cosas para que funcione correctamente

Y agrega noico al metal. por favor mira lo que hice. Estoy usando una base de alfombra de espuma compacta (4 mm) para rellenar las cosas. Puse todo lo que pude sin evitar que el cinturón funcione correctamente. Por cierto, no puede poner demasiadas cosas dentro del panel de plástico, ya que comenzará a frotar contra el asiento.

por favor mira mis fotos a continuación. El primero muestra la base de la alfombra antes de que se pegue correctamente en el interior. Coloque todas las cosas que pueda, pero manténgalas separadas del mecanismo del cinturón.

los paneles B marcaron una gran diferencia en el ruido audible que venía alrededor de mi cabeza.

pilar B_0.jpg

pilar B_1.jpg

pilar B_2.jpg

Thank you so much!  as I have to put the staple that has broken, I will do it.

2 hours ago, lukk said:

Yes the blanket is there. Still the sits, especially the vertical part near the legs, are very resonant.

as for the holes I was referring to the round holes with no obvious purpose. there are no clips going through them so I cannot figure 100% out there purpose. These could be to provide some sort of access or to the other layer of the car or ventilation? but most likely there are there to reduce weight. There are such holes throughout the chassis and this was the most like explanation I found on the internet - weight reduction

I have disassembled the centre console now and I am waiting for my triple square bits to take the sits out. The central console took me a good few hours, mostly due to lack of exactly knowing how to proceed, also workshop manual isn't always clear enough, at least not for a layman. Anyway I got there without breaking things. I am able to lift the carpet under the front passenger / driver legs and it's shocking how resonant some parts of the floor are, especially those closest to the engine. They are covered by some sort of a rubber matt but I guess noico will help, then I'll lay my carpet underlay and MLV.

BTW the improvement in noise after doing the boot, b pillars and doors is actually large. My wife and I finally don't find the car annoyingly loud, we can hear our conversations and other noises in the car with clarity. It was defo worth the effort. After doing the floor I'll see if I can still hear too much low hum from the road and tyres. If that is the case I'll do back wheel arches from the outside but for this I'll need to order more noice

That’s the holes I mean, on the vertical side where I haven't put butyl yet

A49537C9-C0BE-49C0-9C9C-99D90FFF0E10.jpeg

Anyone tried both passat and superb? Wondering if road noise is very different, I would presume Passat is a lot better, but is possible to get close with some cheap and easy upgrades (I dont have any car skills) with sound dampning?

20 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

maybe I should have put noico butyl ??

With the amount of foam in there. No ;)

Wouldn't make any difference. I assume you ram-rodded sone down into the trumpets at the bottom of the pillar?

18 hours ago, lukk said:

Yeah but I am not sure if it matters that much as it is behind carpet. The same with under the rear seat squabs, its radiating up into 10-15 cm of high density foam.

18 hours ago, lukk said:

BTW the improvement in noise after doing the boot, b pillars and doors is actually large. My wife and I finally don't find the car annoyingly loud, we can hear our conversations and other noises in the car with clarity. It was defo worth the effort. After doing the floor I'll see if I can still hear too much low hum from the road and tyres. If that is the case I'll do back wheel arches from the outside but for this I'll need to order more noise

Yeah that was my experience too. Once you do the boot and B-pillar it really takes the noise (on coarse chip roads) down from headache inducing and annoying to noticable but reasonable. 

My main observation before I started was all the noise was behind my head. The B-pillar is a silly design...funneling sound from the sills right up to your head level. 

Edited by digifish

8 hours ago, Mech0z said:

Anyone tried both passat and superb? Wondering if road noise is very different, I would presume Passat is a lot better, but is possible to get close with some cheap and easy upgrades (I dont have any car skills) with sound dampning?

I owned a 2011 b7 petrol Passat. Also in 17" rims. Really not much in it, maybe marginally quieter on road noise, but a bit more engine noise from the older 1.4 120bhp TSI. Very little in it.

It seems that the larger rims on the Superb really highlight the issue. A Superb on 17's is a very serene place to be.

4 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Mech0z

full sound deadening packing definitely works,

now my Superb 2016 is quieter than Audi A6 2021, but little bit louder than BMW 530d xDrive

That sounds nice, but very expensive :/ especially here in Denmark

But the boot only and trunk hood sounded pretty doable

Edited by Mech0z

33 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

I owned a 2011 b7 petrol Passat. Also in 17" rims. Really not much in it, maybe marginally quieter on road noise, but a bit more engine noise from the older 1.4 120bhp TSI. Very little in it.

It seems that the larger rims on the Superb really highlight the issue. A Superb on 17's is a very serene place to be.

Okay, I just tried driving a Superb Combi on 17" helios and found it pretty droning noise in the cabin compared to my 2013 MK III Octavia hatchback. But I changed my tires to 16" steel with Vector 4 Seasons 2. gen and think I have heard that the stock pirelli tires on Superb are noisy, so maybe just changing tires does a lot and also it being combi instead of hatchback

45 minutes ago, Mech0z said:

That sounds nice, but very expensive :/ especially here in Denmark

But the boot only and trunk hood sounded pretty doable

don't forget the b pillar. While you will need to open one plug, unscrew one screw, and pull out two small panels it will be a much quicker job than the boot and the effect is well worth it. 

if you'd prefer for someone to do it for you but the high costs in Denmark are an issue perhaps it's time for a holiday in Poland? 6h if google maps is to be trusted

Honestly, I am quite disappointed.  I did the trunk and I notice some improvement but nothing great ... I will make the B-pillar better but I begin to question its effectiveness.  Where if I notice a lot of noise is the exterior rear view mirrors.  Has anyone done something with them?

IMG-20210613-WA0033.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

Honestly, I am quite disappointed.  I did the trunk and I notice some improvement but nothing great ... I will make the B-pillar better but I begin to question its effectiveness.  Where if I notice a lot of noise is the exterior rear view mirrors.  Has anyone done something with them?

IMG-20210613-WA0033.jpeg

gabriel you are in spain, correct? from memory the roads are very smooth there, unlike what some of us have. what kind of noise do you register? any chance you have an iPhone and could download the NIOSH SLM app and tell what kind of noise level you hear at 120km/h?

On 13/06/2021 at 10:50, lukk said:

I cannot put my rear bench back. As in the D wire hooks clip out after a moment or so even if I seat on the bench. I added 2mm butyl there so perhaps this is the cause. I was thinking of taking these two grommets out (the one you have in the video), at least partially and put the hooks in them while they are out, and then put all of the thing back . have you ever done it and what is the best method to take them out?. They seem  stuck there pretty firmly there

8 hours ago, lukk said:

gabriel estás en españa, ¿correcto? de memoria los caminos son muy suaves allí, a diferencia de lo que tenemos algunos de nosotros. ¿Qué tipo de ruido registra? ¿Alguna posibilidad de que tenga un iPhone y pueda descargar la aplicación NIOSH SLM y decir qué tipo de nivel de ruido escucha a 120 km / h?

The roads in general are good, maybe that's why, at least I, I am hypersensitive to vibrations in the steering wheel, mirrors and others.

I use Android, my wife does use iPhone, but I almost prefer not to involve her in this because I have been a bit heavy with the subject for a long time ... Does that app work on Android?