noise insulation

1 hour ago, Gabrielem said:

Measurements at a speed between 100 and 130 there is not much variation.  measures in the radial highway m40 in Madrid an area with good asphalt.  I'm going to measure and on other types of asphalt

IMG-20210616-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0012.jpg

this would correspond to

what I am getting at 120 km/h on poor porous asphalt but after extensive soundproofing. I’d need to check at 140 km/h what I get at.

I guess most Of your noise is also the wind and engine plus some tire noise.

just to confirm you had the AC / ventilation and radio off? BTW I place my phone in a holder that is clipped to the front ventilation so what I register at my head level would be a bit different than what my phone pics.

I am guessing that the doors would be your next thing to address. Put butyl there and stuff the bottom of the interior with something like rolled laminate closed cell underlay. Just make sure that you figure out how much space needs to be left so that the windows can be opened. 

61FCAC40-E5D8-43F6-88AD-19ED8C1362EB.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lukk said:

Oye, sé que te dije que el ajustador del cinturón y el panel de plástico

los ajustadores deben estar en su nivel más alto al volver a armar las cosas, ya que esto es lo que dice el manual. Pero cuando volví a colocar uno hace 2 días, no funcionó y tuve que alinearlos visualmente. Es una cosa simple Ill

enviarle una foto a veces esta semana para mostrar los bits que deben alinearse. En cualquier caso, no se preocupe, le llevará 10 minutos cada uno.

It's true! Remember that you told me, I think it has to fit and I did not look at it ...

57 minutes ago, lukk said:

esto correspondería a

lo estoy consiguiendo a 120 km / h sobre asfalto poroso pobre pero después de una extensa insonorización. Necesitaría comprobar a 140 km / h lo que llego.

Supongo que la mayor parte del ruido es también el del viento y el motor, además del ruido de los neumáticos.

sólo para confirmar que tenía el aire acondicionado / ventilación y la radio apagados? Por cierto, coloco mi teléfono en un soporte que está sujeto a la ventilación frontal para que lo que registre a la altura de mi cabeza sea un poco diferente de las fotos de mi teléfono.

Supongo que las puertas serían lo próximo que debas abordar. Coloque butilo allí y rellene la parte inferior del interior con algo así como una capa inferior laminada laminada de celda cerrada. Solo asegúrese de averiguar cuánto espacio debe dejarse para que se puedan abrir las ventanas. 

61FCAC40-E5D8-43F6-88AD-19ED8C1362EB.png

The measurement has been made by my wife in the left rear seat (behind me). I wanted to do it in front but a strong storm has fallen and there was no road to play dumb ...

I'll make another measurement by putting where you say with the air off.

For my next steps I had thought about the wheel arches on the outside and finally the doors, which now I think are essential.,  Although I was a bit surprised when Digifish said that he does not recommend doing the wheel arches from the outside.

I have discovered an aerodynamic noise in the exterior trim of the B-pillar, I will investigate if this is what I hear and how to solve it.

29 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

It's true! Remember that you told me, I think it has to fit and I did not look at it ...

The measurement has been made by my wife in the left rear seat (behind me). I wanted to do it in front but a strong storm has fallen and there was no road to play dumb ...

I'll make another measurement by putting where you say with the air off.

For my next steps I had thought about the wheel arches on the outside and finally the doors, which now I think are essential.,  Although I was a bit surprised when Digifish said that he does not recommend doing the wheel arches from the outside.

I have discovered an aerodynamic noise in the exterior trim of the B-pillar, I will investigate if this is what I hear and how to solve it.

when putting back to upper B pillar panel you can check if the belt moves before you fully click it in.

yes I think you'll need to repeat the measurement so that we can compare them.

Digifish's car might have different tires than yours, perhaps different carpet or maybe his noise sensitivities are different. 

I am out of butyl but I still have more than half of my mass loaded vinyl. I will lay it out in the boot to see what it gives. Once I get butyl I was thinking of doing rear arches plus laying mass loaded vinyl on the plastic covers. I will report how it goes in due time. 

BTW my foam carpet / laminate panel underlay is much thicker than the picture from the internet I attached. I'll send a proper picture this week. this thing is super cheap for what it does. 

Edited by lukk
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

Have any of you just thought about wearing ear plugs instead of taking your cars apart? :giggle:

yes I've done it in the past but it works only on really long journeys when your wife and kids fall asleep and don't want to talk to you.

On 16/06/2021 at 19:07, Gabrielem said:

Measurements at a speed between 100 and 130 there is not much variation.  measures in the radial highway m40 in Madrid an area with good asphalt.  I'm going to measure and on other types of asphalt

IMG-20210616-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20210616-WA0012.jpg

i just went for another drive and at 120km/h and I get roughly the same values as you. This is on a coarse stretch with the surface being the type you see in the picture I got in the internet

i can confirm that there is no major increase in noise level between 110-140. Before I did the sound deadening of the floor there would be a

major increase in noise depending on The speed. So 120 km/h was loud, 110 acceptable, 140 km/h way too loud. This must have been caused by vibrations which are largely eliminated now. If you experience the same absence of major noise increase

as the speed increases it indicates you don't have have as much vibration issues on your roads.

I also drove over the part of the motorway which I would describe As relatively smooth and then my db level falls to something like 67-68db. This means nearly nothing in terms of noise and vibrations coming through the floor, a tiny bit of tire noise through the doors, and of course wind and the motor hum. It’s a very nice noise level and combination.

also attached is the oic of the carpet / laminate panel underlay I have

5F5CE1EE-9478-46E2-8ABE-F4AB81EB503F.jpeg

64DE4B71-2219-4103-B454-3AF3673A8B36.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paikesejanku said:

Interesting concept. At first I thought you were pranking us but it seems to be real, I checked some test on youtube and most are positive.

The issue is that you can only do it yourself when about to change your tyres. I don't have the tools / patience to take tires of the rim myself nor do I know how to balance them.  The method of taking them off in the video at 2min:40sec below might be a bit too much for me : 

In any case thanks for this, something about  next time when the tyres need replacement

Edited by lukk

I recently bought GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance 2 with SoundComfort technology and it really helps with tyre noise, wind noise is now biggest factor of noise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

the wind noise is horrible especially in windows ...

13 minutes ago, LukasK said:

I recently bought GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance 2 with SoundComfort technology and it really helps with tyre noise, wind noise is now biggest factor of noise.

I don't really experience any of this, as in there is some usual wind noise but nothing bad. Anyway it seems that you guys aren't the only ones suffering. There is even a dedicated thread to in on briskoda. For some guys it's small window seal issues causing it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lukk said:

Realmente no experimento nada de esto, ya que hay un ruido de viento habitual, pero nada malo. De todos modos, parece que ustedes no son los únicos que sufren. Incluso hay un hilo dedicado a briskoda. Para algunos, son los pequeños problemas de sellado de las ventanas los que lo causan.

He knew the thread. In my case, after making the B pillar, the air is less noticeable. It is also true that nothing is heard on the passenger side and on the driver's side if something is heard.

The funny thing is that almost all the cars of the VAG group share the same system in the B-pillar, so there should be an identification and solution to the problem, but it does not seem to be the case.

Today I laid my remaining half of mass loaded vinyl on top of the boot cover to see if I can get much more soundproofing after laying butyl there Sadly no game changing improvement. I think I will put  it next on the wheel arches covers  to see what achieve there 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lukk said:

Hoy coloqué la mitad restante de vinilo cargado en masa encima de la cubierta del maletero para ver si puedo obtener mucha más insonorización después de colocar butilo allí. Creo que lo pondré a continuación en las cubiertas de los pasos de rueda para ver qué se logra allí. 

Do not stop telling us and put photos!

13 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Do not stop telling us and put photos!

I tried yesterday but I can't upload stuff more that 200kb (0.2mb) large for some reason. Anyway a low resolution picture is below. I simply laid the VML roll I still have on top of the usual boot cover. No visible improvement

boot vml very low quality.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Any clues for lifting the rear seats in the estate to pad out the underside.

the rear bench (the thing you sit on) or rear seats (the thing you lean your back against)? I took out the first one, you pull up on both sides and it will click out, than you have to pull it towards you while pressing downwards. The first bit was super easy, the second one took me a lot of time, my couch didn't want to unhook. There are loads of videos on youtube.

If you mean the rear seats then no clue

image.thumb.png.f313e5d91e053cbf9d69ef8b3ff84ee4.png

27 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Any clues for lifting the rear seats in the estate to pad out the underside.

hey I have more pics but the system doesnt allow me to post them. I'll try to pm you

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello! I continue with the soundproofing, yesterday I did the rear wheel arches from the outside. Noico of 0.4 mm and kaiflex of 8mm from Aliexpress, in 5o kms by highway in Madrid I have not noticed anything from the front. To say that this stretch of highway is quite smooth. Today I will do the front wheels and as soon as I have time the doors.

imagen insonorizacion trasera.jpg

insonorizacion trasera 2.jpg

insonorizacion trasera 3.jpg

insonorizacion trasera 4.jpg

insonorizacion trasera 4.jpg

insonorizacion trasera 5.jpg

Hey Gabriel, 

So are you saying there was noticeable improvement or that you couldn't 100% measure it because the road was so good there would be no noise anyway? Would you be able to do the front only, without doing the doors yet, and test it on a rough tarmac before and after?

Ask a mkII owner considering a mkIII Superb can I ask owners of mkIII's who owned mkII's before are they worse than mkII Superbs re soundproofing?. I can't remember a soundproofing thread on the mkII forum.- might be wrong! 

I don't find my mkII noisy in any way especially the engine. At 70mph it's fantastic very little noise re wind, tyres, engine etc. The slight negative re mkII compared to my previous mkI Superb was "suspension" noise - ie hearing road bumps etc but it's pd engine was noisy at low speed - albeit fabulous. Another slight fly in the ointment with the mkII I find the interior fan slightly noisy.

Edited by bigjohn

22 hours ago, lukk said:

Oye Gabriel, 

Entonces, ¿está diciendo que hubo una mejora notable o que no pudo medirla al 100% porque la carretera era tan buena que de todos modos no habría ruido? ¿Podrías hacer solo el frente, sin hacer las puertas todavía, y probarlo en un asfalto en bruto antes y después?

After doing the forward steps as well, I would be hard-pressed to tell if there is improvement or not.  Perhaps there is a more attenuated noise, but quantifying it in decibels would be difficult.  I will do some measurements with the iPhone app that I did a few months ago for the same section and I will check.  Currently I can say that it does not compensate the work with the result.

IMG-20211014-WA0047.jpeg

IMG20211014135028.jpg

IMG20211014160622.jpg

IMG20211014135033.jpg

On 14/10/2021 at 23:58, bigjohn said:

Ask a mkII owner considering a mkIII Superb can I ask owners of mkIII's who owned mkII's before are they worse than mkII Superbs re soundproofing?. I can't remember a soundproofing thread on the mkII forum.- might be wrong! 

I don't find my mkII noisy in any way especially the engine. At 70mph it's fantastic very little noise re wind, tyres, engine etc. The slight negative re mkII compared to my previous mkI Superb was "suspension" noise - ie hearing road bumps etc but it's pd engine was noisy at low speed - albeit fabulous. Another slight fly in the ointment with the mkII I find the interior fan slightly noisy.

I found the mk11 was much quieter than both my mk111s. 

• Sad 1

I did one of the front doors yesterday.  I made a rookie mistake by overheating the tweeter cap and melting it, tomorrow I'll look for another one that sure isn't cheap.

The change is brutal.  This is very noticeable, the noise reduction is amazing, considering that it really only had the driver's door finished.  I hope to finish 4 this week.