What would owners replace their superb with?

This is my third Skoda, first Octavia was a company car which did just under 110k in four years and only had the rear wiper blade changed (and that was probably my fault), the second was my first personal lease and over 35k we only had the odd "if microsoft made cars" niggles which a reboot fixed and the water pump was changed at service (I didn't know it was leaking so they may have been making work).  This one has been similar, just the odd software bug (e.g. Xenon height) so only been to the dealer once in 14 months.

Next will probably be another Skoda, depends on the lease deals but we don't really need something this big.  Last time I was ordering was at the Skoda model change so I could have a stock car only and the Superb was only a fiver more a month than the Octavia it replaced with a few more bells and whistles so went for it.  SWMBO wants a higher seating position so may be a Karoq although the boot is smaller than either Superb or Octavia and she fills it when we go on holiday.  My preference would be a Superb, cost may mean it is an Octavia, I may be directed to a Karoq/Kodiak.

Never managed to get lease prices on Audi/BMW/Merc anywhere near the skodas for similar mileage and an Audi is a Skoda with a different badge, quality is the same (after all sub assemblies/engines etc come off the SAME assembly lines)  Audi's just have a longer options list which adds cost even if you don't take them and are on the wrong place on the reliability bathtub curve.

If you really want to get to know your dealer buy a JLR product, I am surprised that so many people in the office not only have them but go back for more . . . . . .  These are the same people that run down Skoda's.  We also have a guy who bought a Ford Mondeo Vignale because he can get discount on parts when it breaks.   In my experience Skoda's don't break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

Never managed to get lease prices on Audi/BMW/Merc anywhere near the skodas for similar mileage and an Audi is a Skoda with a different badge, quality is the same (after all sub assemblies/engines etc come off the SAME assembly lines)  Audi's just have a longer options list which adds cost even if you don't take them and are on the wrong place on the reliability bathtub curve.

I have to disagree with the quality of Skoda matching Audi.  Yes regarding some components, but for finish and fit and the quality of soundproofing and interior materials they are not in the same league. You can get ripped for extras but the options on the standard ranges is now very good

57 minutes ago, Shhhkoda said:

I have to disagree with the quality of Skoda matching Audi.  Yes regarding some components, but for finish and fit and the quality of soundproofing and interior materials they are not in the same league. You can get ripped for extras but the options on the standard ranges is now very good

We paid about £19000 for our Superb 1.4 TSi SE 150PS last year brand new. To get an Audi with the same space, economy and kit would have been impossible, they just don't make one. The closest would probably be the A5 Sportback and that is 50% more expensive and smaller.

As for interior materials the Superb is without a doubt the best we have owned. Never had a Merc or Audi but its better than the VW's and BMW.

But why complain now if you think that Skoda quality is not as good an Audi. Surely using the Mk1 human eye you could have spotted that before you bought it. Buyers remorse is such an ugly thing.

4 minutes ago, skidpan said:

But why complain now if you think that Skoda quality is not as good an Audi. Surely using the Mk1 human eye you could have spotted that before you bought it. Buyers remorse is such an ugly thing.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the Skoda quality, I'm liking my time with mine.  I'm just saying it's wrong to pretend they are in the same league for finish, fit and materials,  Fortunately I lease so no buyers regret here.  

• Like 1

I've had a 2 Fords, a couple of Volvos of various ages, an Audi, 2 Skodas, and an Old Range Rover Classic (G-Reg).  By far the best fit and finish was the 2001 Volvo S60 (back in the day).

The current Superb is nicer inside, but theres a bit more scratchy plastic lower down (it makes my left knee ache a bit where it rests in the footwell).

My Audi A6 was nice, but I'd say just on a par with Skoda, no better, no worse.  Where the Skodas beat it was the sound deadening, and the ride (the Audi was like riding on tyres made of rock!)  The Audi was also the worst car I've had for reliability (and coming from a Range Rover owner, thats saying something!) - The car cost 9k when I bought it, and had as much spent on it getting it right (luckily under a good warranty!) so I'm not a fan of Audi, though I've heard they've improved somewhat.

The worst of the lot was my old Mondeo (51-plate) it was a clattery tractor with awful sound deadening and the buttons inside looked like theyd been glued on as an afterthought - it was comfy to drive though.

• Like 1

Mines a company car and as good as the Superb is, I won't get another one.

I'll go for either a 5 series, new 3 series or VW Arteon, just depends on what deals the manufacturers are doing when I order in October.

For the money, mine has been a great car for covering big mileage.

Got my S3 at the end of 2016 with a 5 year warranty so will be waiting for the S4 superb (as long as they don't mess it up!) - guess it will be around in a few years time. I spent a long time looking at other cars before deciding on the S3, nothing really came that close to the mix of space, equipment and price.

14 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

I like high-speed cars but i also expect them to be assembled well. I do not wish to be on first name terms with the skoda master tech at the dealer due to repeat visits. 

I sympathise. Sadly I'm not only on first name terms with the master tech, service manager etc but lately with several of the Skoda customer care team and Skoda execs. Its a long, long, ongoing frustrating story (of several) over the years, not involving the Superb this time, but my relationship with Skoda over 14 years and numerous Skodas is being severely tested this time.

I no longer get excited about cars and look at them as white goods and a money pit. My opinion is Skoda is very much a value brand, so there are compromises and build quality can't be compared to high end prestige cars. Only the customer can decide whether this is acceptable given the relative pricing to the alternatives.

As for dealers, sometimes....maybe....better the devil you know.....

As for replacing my Superb, no plans as I generally run them until they become unreliable/worn out/too costly to run or maintain. I do miss my Mk1 Alhambra which I ran for almost 20 years.

I am thinking about replacing other Skodas in our fleet, dependent on the outcome of the current saga.

Edited by xman

On 5/30/2018 at 11:41, skidpan said:

We paid about £19000 for our Superb 1.4 TSi SE 150PS last year brand new. To get an Audi with the same space, economy and kit would have been impossible, they just don't make one. The closest would probably be the A5 Sportback and that is 50% more expensive and smaller.

As for interior materials the Superb is without a doubt the best we have owned. Never had a Merc or Audi but its better than the VW's and BMW.

Superb quality (materials, sound proofing) the same as 5 series? What are you drinking?

I previously had an A6 (C7) and the soundproofing, materials used, fit and finish were noticeably better than the Superb... I would have been surprised if this wasn’t the case.

IMHO the Superb is comparable to the Passat/Golf etc. (obviously), mid-range Volvos and a little better than Fords (current gen) and Vauxhalls (all gen). Similar build quality to most Japanese marques of a similar price, but better materials used and noticeably better than equivalent French models. All generalizations of course ;)

There are some exceptions obviously such as some of the plastics Merc seem to use at the moment, but if people genuinely believe prestige models of a similar size to the Superb offer the same build/finish then we will have to agree to differ. No argument about value for money though.

Edited by Alan_P
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2018 at 10:41, skidpan said:

I love my Superb and have no real complaints, but this is undoubtedly choice-supportive bias in action!

• Like 2

I have been in a few recent Audis, apart from a TT nothing smaller than an A5.

A5 is not comparable to the Superb for space - boot is useless.  Whole car sits lower, open the bonnet and you will see the tops of the suspension struts sit well inboard compared to the A6.

A6 is comparable on size, not on features (unless you spec it up) and not price (especially if you spec it up).

I do not believe the quality is any better, the materials may be better if you are spending 000 on extras.  The cars above were all my sons company cars and some had over £10k of extras and if you pay several k for a leather upgrade you would expect it to be better than the standard but I don't see the standard Audi leather being different to the Skoda leather.  Which car manufacturer is going to penalise themselves on the emissions/economy measures by fitting more sound proofing (weight), an Audi owner once told me that Audi used thicker steel for the panels !!!

Big issue for me, apart from price, is the suspension - way to hard on all the Audis.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, toni8b said:

Superb quality (materials, sound proofing) the same as 5 series? What are you drinking?

I’ve had three different brand new 520d’s as rentals during the pas few weeks in the UK. Where do you feel the materials are superior to the Superb? There is more road noise in the 5’er as well, but that’s hard to compare - you have some very rough tarmac in the UK. 

My wife has a 4 year old F10 520d with the 8 speed sports auto box. I prefer it compared to my manual for comfort but the all round perceived build and refinement are streets ahead. It was a lot cheaper than my sportline too. 

I'm veering towards a late w212 E-Class at the moment, maybe an early new model. The superbs only 8 months old and 9k miles but it's just not doing it for me. I've been disappointed by the build mostly, have loads of rattles which means even moderate throttle is irritating me. 

If I solve the issues with some careful trim removal I would be tempted to keep it and remap it though. 

I think the OP has been incredibly unlucky to have two poor Superbs (I've had three - all fantastic - and unless something changes dramatically I will be looking for another one in 2 years time). All I can advise is to go back to first principles and work out the most important criteria then test drive and score the short-listed models against them. 

It's hard to recommend something with the same levels of equipment and comfort at the same price point. I suspect you may have to go smaller for the same age (C Class, 3 series etc), or older for the same money if you are considering 5 series, EClass etc. Or a "sideways " move if not too disillusioned with the VAG brand as a whole. Though with all the changes in PCP / PCH it may be very different depending on how the vehicle will be financed.

4 hours ago, GaSelle said:

Where do you feel the materials are superior to the Superb? There is more road noise in the 5’er as well, but that’s hard to compare - you have some very rough tarmac in the UK. 

Pretty much everywhere you look in the car...

Centre console, bottom of the doors, the switchgear to name a few. It is also much quieter at speed than the superb, so not sure how you can get to the judgement that there’s more road noise!?

Superb is a great car, I very nearly ordered an L&K and it would have been my 4th Skoda, but the deal I got on my 5er was too good to ignore.

Well, I don’t agree. Sure, the 5’er has a few fancier details, but the quality doesn’t seem higher to me. 

The three 520d’s I’ve driven (all 2018) has been noisier than my 2018 Superb TSI. The 520 is a lovely car, to me it’s just not worth the extra cost. 

I don't thing anybody has mentioned Jaguar? Maybe I know why...

I just looked at an XF Sportbrake. For the same spec, it's twice as expensive as my Sportline. I'll never believe it's twice the car.

17 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I just looked at an XF Sportbrake. For the same spec, it's twice as expensive as my Sportline. I'll never believe it's twice the car.

Agreed. It is beautiful though. But not enough to justify twice the price....

I had my old age crisis and bought a 280. I have not regretted it and it is a fantastic motor. However there are only 2 OAPs in the household and hence if I ever regained my sanity I would replace it with a Seat Toledo Xcellence 1.0 TSI. This is a superior Rapid very highly specced and, amazingly, available at £12K brand new which is a third of the price of a Superb L&K.

12 hours ago, GaSelle said:

I’ve had three different brand new 520d’s as rentals during the pas few weeks in the UK. Where do you feel the materials are superior to the Superb? There is more road noise in the 5’er as well, but that’s hard to compare - you have some very rough tarmac in the UK. 

maxresdefault.jpg

superb-lk3.png

Each to their own, I guess. Red leather is ugly - so is beige interior. A 5’er is a great car. It’s just not worth the much higher price. To me, that is.