What have you done to your Superb III today?

3 hours ago, danmaca said:

As promised, today I took the car for a wee picture, as ye do :tongueout:

aviary-image-1541151654578.jpeg

Looks brilliant, really does.  Tempted for one of these the next time although the wife doesn't like the colour!

By the way, for anyone not from Glasgow, it's always this sunny here  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, snchatt57 said:

Just got a boot liner, mats one set rubber one carpet and collecting a dog guard Sunday

Is that the double sided Skoda one? Always had one in the Octavias. I'll have to get on for the superb now.

Just under 3 years, 30k miles and rear discs badly corroded & grooved, pads down to a couple of mm. Dealer offered to fix for £370. Hmmmm, not sure I want another set of chocolate Skoda OEM discs and especially not at that price

So off to local auto parts shops, Delphi ventilated discs and pads for £120. That’s better!

Plugged in VCDS, oddly the electronic parking brake “unwind” function is found in the ABS module. “Start lining replacement” results in a lot of whirling from parking brakes! And dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree!

Then callipers off, pistons push back in with not much force (checking reservoir not overflowing). Calliper carrier is held on by 14mm spline drive bolts (I’d previously got the driver from eBay) VERY tight but managed to loosen with an extension (old motorcycle front fork).

Knackered old discs off, new ones degreased and installed, calliper carriers replaced with bolts VERY tight, new pads, replace callipers etc.

Then back to VCDS - “Finish lining replacement” with lots of whirring noises. Still a lot of warning lights on the dash so clear fault codes, turn off ignition.

Turn ignition back on ..... ..... no fault lights or codes! Phew!

So feeling a little pleased with myself. Just slightly worried that I still have 4 months warranty left and I’ve fitted non-factory parts, but I’ll keep the old discs and pads and can always put them back on at a pinch if something catastrophic happens to engine/DSG gearbox/Haldex etc

• Like 1

Just now, boydeee said:

@nicknorman Sounds like some excellent handiwork there!

Good to hear that you managed the parking brake rewind via vcds successfully.

I've found ceratec grease works really well on brake components. Do you use it? 

No just a little bit of copperslip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

So feeling a little pleased with myself. Just slightly worried that I still have 4 months warranty left and I’ve fitted non-factory parts, but I’ll keep the old discs and pads and can always put them back on at a pinch if something catastrophic happens to engine/DSG gearbox/Haldex etc

Wont affect warranty changing brakes disc and pads for non oem.  Its only if you change something that has an effect (better or worse) on another component.  

As the brakes doesnt affect the running of the engine/dsg/haldex, you wont have any issues.  

41 minutes ago, Adrian55555 said:

Wont affect warranty changing brakes disc and pads for non oem.  Its only if you change something that has an effect (better or worse) on another component.  

As the brakes doesnt affect the running of the engine/dsg/haldex, you wont have any issues.  

Let’s hope so. But Skoda (and all of VAG group) do seem to be really tightening up on warranty claims. (Wonder why!?)

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Let’s hope so. But Skoda (and all of VAG group) do seem to be really tightening up on warranty claims. (Wonder why!?)

I am an ex vw/skoda warranty manager, and its not that vag are tightening up, its that there was a lot of very bad warranty practices in dealerships, claims that shouldnt be claimed etc. A lot have been sacked as dealers have been fined huge amount of sums.  Vag send out auditors who check claims, which include all paperwork, signatures, diagnostics, tech write ups etc.  I myself have carried out a lot of internal audits within the group i worked for and i have seen all sorts that should never have been claimed. These get written off which means the dealer ends up with the bill! 

1 hour ago, Adrian55555 said:

I am an ex vw/skoda warranty manager, and its not that vag are tightening up, its that there was a lot of very bad warranty practices in dealerships, claims that shouldnt be claimed etc. A lot have been sacked as dealers have been fined huge amount of sums.  Vag send out auditors who check claims, which include all paperwork, signatures, diagnostics, tech write ups etc.  I myself have carried out a lot of internal audits within the group i worked for and i have seen all sorts that should never have been claimed. These get written off which means the dealer ends up with the bill! 

Can you give examples of things that should never have been warranty claims?

My recent experience was that my entire infotainment system suddenly stopped working with the exception of the radio. So no satnav, medialink, phone, voice control. Turns out that the memory containing the authorisation codes had wiped itself. Dealer decided it wasn’t a warranty claim “because the memory was wiped”. Naturally I challenged this as it was fine one day, wonked out the next for no obvious reason - at which point the dealer agreed to do the work “as a good will gesture” (they had previously only quoted £54, but it was a matter of principle). I couldn’t really understand how it couldn’t be a warranty claim and put it down to a general tightening of belts following the emissions debacle.

Where would i start lol. I havent come across that issue with regards to the infotainment and memory.  Unless there is a bullitin regarding this issue a lot of the software or loading the memory back into the system, there is no specific code for a claim. When we process claims it is all numbers for each operation. Eg diagnostic code is 01500000 followed by the TU (time units) There are a lot of grey areas with warranty. And it also depends how good the warranty administrator is at that specific dealer. 

Not today, but last weekend hardwired a Nextbase dashcam in response to an idiot trying to kill me on a country lane the week before. Seems to be working fine, which is surprisingly for an inept DIY-er like me... :biggrin:

Alloys? What alloys?

Oh! You mean kerb feelers!

I was offered wheel damage insurance insurance when I purchased my Sportline. I laughed.

No photos, please! Nothing to see here! Keep moving on...

Thanks for the your support guys.

Obviously its only you few that know the truth, to everyone else I will be blaming Mrs Parked.

Actually maybe Penguin on here can share some of the blame. Back in April when I posted a picture of the new motor he said.....

"Oooft that kerb looks like it’s just waiting to attack your alloys"

• Haha 2

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:32, danmaca said:

Is that the double sided Skoda one? Always had one in the Octavias. I'll have to get on for the superb now.

It fits in the boot floor but also covers the rear seats when folded down , handy for trip to the to

plus a section with pulls over the top of the bumper when hatch open

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:32, danmaca said:

Check out hatchbag.co.uk for a boot liner.  Not the cheapest but they are amazing.  I have one on the way for my Superb

• Thanks 1