What have you done to your Superb III today?

I bought this on the 6th and it arrived today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Car-Reversing-Camera-IR-5-LCD-Rear-View-Monitor-Parking-Kit-Plug-and-Play/303332517798?hash=item46a006e7a6:g:p3sAAOSwx4BdsBq2

Thought I would start my car up for the first time in weeks and plug this in. 

Car started, plugged it in, and it works.

I wont even route the cables in as I only need it for reversing up to my caravan, so I shall just hang the camera over the rear wiper arm as and when.

So there'll be no more slagging the wife off when she's giving me wrong directions!

• Haha 1

Cleared it of all personal belongings and reset everything to factory defaults.  Being collected tomorrow when my new car gets's dropped of.   The dealership/showroom is still officially closed to the public but they have skeleton staff working behind locked doors, to clear the backlog.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Charged it as it was sunny and I have solar.

Have to visit work tomorrow so all ready now, it can then get a charge at work so "free" travel 🙂

John

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Cleared it of all personal belongings and reset everything to factory defaults.  Being collected tomorrow when my new car gets's dropped of.   The dealership/showroom is still officially closed to the public but they have skeleton staff working behind locked doors, to clear the backlog.   

What colour is your new car? (I suppose I should know what you're getting, but must have missed it.)

31 minutes ago, freelunch said:

What colour is your new car? (I suppose I should know what you're getting, but must have missed it.)

It’s a white Golf estate. 

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

Any plans to "hot rod" it? I've always liked a Golf. I'm still curious about the colour: your choice, or what was available? 

Went to look at a grey one. Seen the white and preferred it, I don’t ordinarily like white cars but it suited the trim and body style. 

They usually leave the factory with ~320bhp, plenty of poke for now. I’ll remap it after I know it’s mechanically sound. The Golf Clubsport brake discs and pads, rear anti roll bar and bigger turbo inlet (adds 10-15bhp) will be fitted next Friday. I have my pedal box too so it should be plenty of fun 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Went to look at a grey one. Seen the white and preferred it, I don’t ordinarily like white cars but it suited the trim and body style. 

They usually leave the factory with ~320bhp, plenty of poke for now. I’ll remap it after I know it’s mechanically sound. The Golf Clubsport brake discs and pads, rear anti roll bar and bigger turbo inlet (adds 10-15bhp) will be fitted next Friday. I have my pedal box too so it should be plenty of fun 😊

Enjoy - for a short while. Then come to your senses and buy another Superb.🙂

Seriously though, a compare and contrast would be very much appreciated. And I hope you love the new one. 

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 14:03, boydeee said:

So I managed to drag my sorry carcass out into the lovely Scottish sun (it's always sunny here as you know....)

I don't think I'd washed it since early March so the iron out had its work cut out on the winter wheels! 

Just a shampoo and air dry for the paintwork as I wanted to get the wheels back on and tyre pressures sorted before heading back to work tomorrow.

I'm glad it's back on its proper wheels again 😎

20200423_105846.jpg

20200423_105905.jpg

20200423_110649.jpg

20200423_110903.jpg

20200423_123731.jpg

20200423_125503.jpg

20200423_132615.jpg

20200423_135537.jpg

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this.

The iron out stuff, I always use it after I've cleaned the wheels. While all that purple looks great, it's only removing particles that would have been removed by washing the wheels anyway. I tend to find I get better results if I wash the wheels first, then use iron out to remove any particles that are embedded in the clean paint. By doing it before you've washed the wheels you may only be removing the iron on the surface of the dirt, and not that is embedded in the paint.

26 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this.

The iron out stuff, I always use it after I've cleaned the wheels. While all that purple looks great, it's only removing particles that would have been removed by washing the wheels anyway. I tend to find I get better results if I wash the wheels first, then use iron out to remove any particles that are embedded in the clean paint. By doing it before you've washed the wheels you may only be removing the iron on the surface of the dirt, and not that is embedded in the paint.

Hello,

I normally would only use iron out after washing you're absolutely right. Some laziness kicked in that day! Those wheels are now off the car and awaiting a proper iron out and de-tar treatment. My enthusiasm is lacking at the moment! 👍

2 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Took it into Heritage Bristol for a variable service (way early due to lockdown, but I like new oil every year at least), DSG service (4k early but sensible for me to get everything done at the same time) and first MOT (needed from start of June).

Arrived at 8am and was very impressed with the set-up. Fixed drop-off time so no other customer in the show-room. Large table with labelled envelopes for keys. Service receptionist at least 5 metres away. She confirmed what needed to be done and I was on my way. There was no walk-around of the car, so I will have to trust them not to prang it, but in the current circumstances that seems more than fair enough. All-in-all a very professional arrangement. 

At 9am I got a call from the service receptionist. Tech has advised new shocks needed on the front (I thought it had been a bit "crashy" the last couple of times I have driven it, but put it down to the fact that I was driving on Bristol's terrible local roads rather than the nation's slightly less terrible motorways). To be done under warranty, no questions asked. Parts will be in tomorrow morning and I can pick it up tomorrow evening. I'm a very happy bunny so far.

One moral of the story is that if you can possibly get a service in before the warranty runs out, it could save you a fair chunk of cash (or an argument about what was or wasn't broken when the warranty ran out). :thumbup:

Useful to know.  I bought a Sportline (17 plate but registered in Jan 2018) in Jan this year, only has 19k on the clock at the moment so will make sure to get services booked in for later in the year ahead of the warranty running out in Jan 2021.

Is it worth extending the warranty with Skoda does anybody know and do you have to have MOT's and Services done by Skoda and any parts replaced (by them) with genuine Skoda parts to maintain the validity of the warranty, or can I still take my new car to the garage I've always taken my cars to in the past (family friend) to have MOT's and Services and any work done?

12 minutes ago, cronemeister said:

Is it worth extending the warranty with Skoda does anybody know and do you have to have MOT's and Services done by Skoda and any parts replaced (by them) with genuine Skoda parts to maintain the validity of the warranty, or can I still take my new car to the garage I've always taken my cars to in the past (family friend) to have MOT's and Services and any work done?

Funny you should ask as I've just been looking at this.

I've put a link to the brochure below, but essentially Skoda offers two levels of cover: all component and named component. Be aware that if you go for named component (as far as I can see) each claim is limited to £1,000 in the UK. So I'm not sure how far that would go in the event of a really big failure. The limit on the all component cover is the market value of the car. The brochure shows what is and isn't covered for each.

https://insurewithskoda.co.uk/media/1113/35239_skoda_extended-warranty_dec19_nav_v1.pdf

All component cover for over 15k miles per annum with no personal excess is £435 according to the quote I had. So it certainly isn't cheap. AND - it doesn't include breakdown cover. The site to arrange that is below. For continuous cover on everything they want £89 which is pretty steep compared with the AA quote of £59 for what looks like the same service.

https://www.roadsidecover.com/Skoda

Skoda / approved parts have to be used in servicing for the Skoda extended warranty to be honoured, but it looks like they can be fitted anywhere. I have heard that some dealers get chippy about this, so it would be worth checking / getting in writing from Skoda UK that this is the case in the event you have to use the extended warranty.

On 05/05/2020 at 18:37, Weebawbag said:

Well the dreaded happened, cars stood for a couple of weeks maybe a quick run to shops and Dr ,tried to start and turned but battery died.

Knocked up my ever friendly car nut neighbour for a jump start, nope wouldn’t budge, so got out the charger and tried than for 40 mins, nope.

Ended up removing battery into kitchen and charging 3 hrs before bed and 2 hrs in morning, refitted battery and started no probs but 6 faults and pinging alarms around , put into drive moved few metres forwards and back all sorted except still shows acc unavailable.

The joy lol , stay safe all 😜👍🏻

Snap. I went to do a click / collect shop at Tesco the other day & the battery was a dead as a dodo. I wondered why the keyless entry didn't work when I tried to open the door. I think the culprit was the dash cam. It should go to sleep when the car is stationary & only come back to life if it senses movement. Looking at the cam recordings it seems the constant coming & going of our cats & other wild life during the night set off the driveway security light which brings on the dash cam. A boost with my 180 amp fast charger got it going within 5 mins. I have now unplugged the dash cam while I'm not using it. If it happens again with the dash cam off then it may need a new battery.  The short local drives are probably not helping either. 

Stay safe all......   🍺

3 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Snap. I went to do a click / collect shop at Tesco the other day & the battery was a dead as a dodo. I wondered why the keyless entry didn't work when I tried to open the door. I think the culprit was the dash cam. It should go to sleep when the car is stationary & only come back to life if it senses movement. Looking at the cam recordings it seems the constant coming & going of our cats & other wild life during the night set off the driveway security light which brings on the dash cam. A boost with my 180 amp fast charger got it going within 5 mins. I have now unplugged the dash cam while I'm not using it. If it happens again with the dash cam off then it may need a new battery.  The short local drives are probably not helping either. 

Stay safe all......   🍺

The joy Eh, I did find in the manual that if the car is stood still for long periods(couple weeks) and only short runs the battery will go flat.

thankfully since I’ve taken her for a 30 min blast along the by-pass no issues.

Did you unplug the battery for the boost?

Auto Express today explains it well with Kwik Fit have fitted twice as many batteries in the 4 weeks upto 1st May this year than the same period in 2019. Also the RAC said that on just one day 14th April they attended to twice as many flat-battery breakdowns as a normal day.

12 minutes ago, Weebawbag said:

The joy Eh, I did find in the manual that if the car is stood still for long periods(couple weeks) and only short runs the battery will go flat.

thankfully since I’ve taken her for a 30 min blast along the by-pass no issues.

Did you unplug the battery for the boost?

2 weeks & the battery could go flat!!! So what happens if its sat in an airport carpark while your away on a 2 week holiday? Humm. All those background electrics draining the juice. I had similar problem on my previous Superb Elegance 2ltr 190 diesel. At 4.5 years old the battery wouldn't hold a charge when left standing for more than 2 days. I guess it's part of the chance you take when buying used cars & why most companies change their cars at around 3 years old or even less. After years of driving company cars & racking up starship mileage I now buy my own cars at around 2-3 years old & keep them for at least 5 years. Current car is 3.5 years old & now I have retired my mileage is minimal so my current car will be around for quite a while.   

No I didn't have to disconnect the battery. My charger can stay connected even when starting the car - when set to the fast charge & start setting. Handy bit of kit. 

Stay safe.....

39 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Got it back after the variable service, DSG service and first MOT. Heritage were as good as their word, and the front shocks were replaced at no cost under warranty. Arrangements at the showroom were as professional today as they were yesterday and I didn't have to go near the service receptionist to complete the transaction. They even charged the battery and checked the tyre pressures for me as I haven't been able to do either recently, and they apologised and offered a free valet later on as they are not cleaning cars as part of the service at the moment (I won't be taking them up on it, but appreciated the gesture). Really good service all around, and a massive improvement on last year. I gave it a good run after pick-up to make sure the DSG was running as expected (normal, sport and manual modes all engaged at some point), including some fast acceleration in sport once up to temperature. Everything is working perfectly, and the front end is noticeably quieter and more responsive.

I never thought I would say this after last year's fiasco, but credit where it is due. Heritage have done a really good job with great customer service and I'm delighted with the outcome. And it was great to be back in the car, even if only for a short while:).

Great to hear all this positivity.

• Like 1

Skoda Superb Mk3 deserves its reputation of 'welcoming car'!

Small surprise upon lockdown reaching its end... A tiny but active wasp swarm discovered today!

img_2919-5761b88.jpg

Quite happy to have found it with the car standing still, instead of having 2-3 wasps deciding to fly in the passenger bay during a trip... 

In 2 months, I've just driven something like 50 km and the car is parked at the same place at home... We also had some quite sunny warmy days for April / May. Not that surprised that this place has suited them.

Thus I've made a quick clean on my Superb this evening to make it more dapper, and to check there is no other Swarm.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Skoda Superb Mk3 deserves its reputation of 'welcoming car'!

Small surprise upon lockdown reaching its end... A tiny but active wasp swarm discovered today!

img_2919-5761b88.jpg

Quite happy to have found it with the car standing still, instead of having 2-3 wasps deciding to fly in the passenger bay during a trip... 

In 2 months, I've just driven something like 50 km and the car is parked at the same place at home... We also had some quite sunny warmy days for April / May. Not that surprised that this place has suited them.

Thus I've made a quick clean on my Superb this evening to make it more dapper, and to check there is no other Swarm.

You'd think they'd have picked a better place....for example the spacious cabin 🤣

• Haha 1

Removed some factory restrictions whatever...  

IMG_20200515_172938.thumb.jpg.cd51d14a6611f6d7ed4ecf7af32403a0.jpg

This went on too https://www.racingline.com/vwr12g7r600itinlet     but I don't usually take photos of pipes  :D

I have to say the two seem to work pretty well on a strong stage 1, need to go out and validate some data first and I'll be able to report fully on them.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Removed some factory restrictions whatever...  

IMG_20200515_172938.thumb.jpg.cd51d14a6611f6d7ed4ecf7af32403a0.jpg

This went on too https://www.racingline.com/vwr12g7r600itinlet     but I don't usually take photos of pipes  :D

I have to say the two seem to work pretty well on a strong stage 1, need to go out and validate some data first and I'll be able to report fully on them.

Any plans to replace the turbo inlet pipe and elbow?  Racing line do a two piece setup and Turbo Technics have a single piece offering.  My separate elbow and pipe are arriving tomorrow 😀

EDIT: 🤦‍♂️ Disregard, I didn't see/read the text under the photograph 😂

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1