What have you done to your Superb III today?

Sat Nav update.

After driving "off road" due to new roads & layout changes that have caught me out on the odd occasion, I decided to update my on-board factory fitted sat nav.

I did see some pre loaded Sat Nav updated SD cards on Amazon & elsewhere for around £38 but I decided to download my own copy for free from the Skoda portal - VIN number required.

What a pain that was :angry:

1st I had to buy a 64GB SD card because none that I already had were big enough. A 32GB SD would have done the job but for not much more I went for the 64GB (£11) & it can be used for music etc afterwards. 

Then the download.

OMG, even with a fast fibre connection the 26GB Zip file download took ages. The Skoda website warns of up to 8hrs download time which I managed in around  5hrs but it was like watching paint dry. Not helped by the regular connection drop outs & re-starts. Switching to a physical LAN connection instead of WiFi helped a bit but I suspect my aging Tosh Satellite C670D laptop (originally with win 7 - now with Win 10 which slows it up dramatically) is partly to blame due to its pedestrian processor speed.  

The the upload to the car via the SD card was equally painful (around 4 hrs) &, because the ignition has to be on, caused low battery warning messages which meant I had to run the engine to keep it going. I later switched over to a high boost battery charger to avoid running the engine - more faffing about in the pouring rain :angry:

Finally after the upload was complete the whole infotainment system turns itself off for around 60mins while it sorts itself out - marvellous. 

I can now see the attraction of buying a pre-loaded SD card to cut out the download hassle albeit the upload is still a pain.

God knows what a dealer would charge for this long winded process so for that reason alone the hassle was worth the effort. 

Someone please tell me that sat nav tech / update procedure has moved on from this archaic process on my 66 reg Superb. Even my 15 year old old stad alone Tom Tom & more recent Garmin sat nav were less painless to do update than this. I guess being able to plug them directly into a PC helps a lot.

Thankfully this process won't need to be done again for quite a while.  

14 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Sat Nav update.

After driving "off road" due to new roads & layout changes that have caught me out on the odd occasion, I decided to update my on-board factory fitted sat nav.

I did see some pre loaded Sat Nav updated SD cards on Amazon & elsewhere for around £38 but I decided to download my own copy for free from the Skoda portal - VIN number required.

1st I had to buy a 64GB SD card because none that I already had were big enough. A 32GB SD would have done the job but for not much more I went for the 64GB (£11) & it can be used for music etc afterwards. 

Then the download.

OMG, even with a fast fibre connection the 26GB Zip file download took ages. The Skoda website warns of up to 8hrs download time which I managed in around  5hrs but it was like watching paint dry. Not helped by the regular connection drop outs & re-starts. Switching to a physical LAN connection instead of WiFi helped a bit but I suspect my aging Tosh Satellite C670D laptop (originally with win 7 - now with Win 10 which slows it up dramatically) is partly to blame due to its pedestrian processor speed.  

The the upload to the car via the SD card was equally painful (around 4 hrs) &, because the ignition has to be on, caused low battery warning messages which meant I had to run the engine to keep it going. I later switched over to a high boost battery charger to avoid running the engine - more faffing about in the pouring rain :angry:

Finally after the upload was complete the whole infotainment system turns itself off for around 60mins while it sorts itself out - marvellous. 

I can now see the attraction of buying a pre-loaded SD card to cut out the download hassle albeit the upload is still a pain.

God knows what a dealer would charge for this long winded process so for that reason alone the hassle was worth the effort. 

Someone please tell me that sat nav tech / update procedure has moved on from this archaic process on my 66 reg Superb. Even my 15 year old old stad alone Tom Tom & more recent Garmin sat nav were less painless to do update than this. I guess being able to plug them directly into a PC helps a lot.

Strange I’ve never had any problems downloading map updates for my previous Yetis and current Kodiaq. I too have an ancient laptop and does take a while to download, but it’s never taken more than 3/4 of an hour to upload to the car, and the ignition hasn’t had to be on either. It can also update whilst driving and will carry on where it left off if you stop.

On 09/11/2020 at 21:38, defiant said:

Oh gutted, someone opened their door onto my then 2 week old Suzuki Swift so I feel your pain

And can anyone tell me, why, when we park our pride and joy in an empty area of the supermarket carpark, 100 yards from the  door to said shop, no other cars for 50 yards, when we return the car is surrounded by old bangers parked so close to pride and joy you have to keep hold of the door to prevent hitting said bangers while squeezing in to the drivers seat?  Mind boggling. No doubt a psychologist amongst us can explain?????

• Haha 2

On 09/11/2020 at 17:09, shyVRS245 said:

Not very exciting but it started first time in 3 weeks. Just 2 more weeks quarantine then I can actually drive it. Nearly 9 months old and it's done 6,440 miles and the first service is due in 396 days or 11,000 miles time.

12 months old this month and 16,000 on the clock. No chance of lockdown here, but still 10,000 short of normal, since only two Scottish journies. two Cornish, but no France, Spain, Italy.  I feel bereft - paid for all those estimated miles on my insurance, and not done 'em.

9 minutes ago, cmp1951 said:

12 months old this month and 16,000 on the clock. No chance of lockdown here, but still 10,000 short of normal, since only two Scottish journies. two Cornish, but no France, Spain, Italy.  I feel bereft - paid for all those estimated miles on my insurance, and not done 'em.

Might be worth mentioning the lower mileage when your renewal is due they may reduce the premium accordingly.

31 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Strange I’ve never had any problems downloading map updates for my previous Yetis and current Kodiaq. I too have an ancient laptop and does take a while to download, but it’s never taken more than 3/4 of an hour to upload to the car, and the ignition hasn’t had to be on either. It can also update whilst driving and will carry on where it left off if you stop.

Just downloaded from portal, took around an hour.

Unzipped to hard drive, 12 minutes

Copied to fast SD Card 37 minutes

image.png.7d08b00962d12ee4da438a3d8f8264b5.png

Usual installation in car is around an hour, but I do nee the ingnition on, and when the ignition times out the process suspends, to continue when ignition back on.

30 minutes ago, cmp1951 said:

I seem to remember an advert recently that Direct line are offering rebates for unused annual mileage on their policies.

It's probably a double edged sword for those that go over their declared mileage who have to pay extra - one pays for the other? Also, DL premiums are not the lowest either - certainly not for existing customers. As always best deals are for new customers which is why I ditched them & every other insurer who tries to increase my insurance premium when the value of the car is decreasing:angry:

My MOT is due next month & I bet there's not much more than 4,000 extra miles on it since last Dec. I declared 10k annual mileage on my insurance. No refund with LV I suspect but maybe worth asking the question. 

15 minutes ago, cmp1951 said:

Just downloaded from portal, took around an hour.

Unzipped to hard drive, 12 minutes

Copied to fast SD Card 37 minutes

image.png.7d08b00962d12ee4da438a3d8f8264b5.png

Usual installation in car is around an hour, but I do nee the ingnition on, and when the ignition times out the process suspends, to continue when ignition back on.

Interesting. 

I was only getting between 1.2 to 2.1mb/sec or less during the download from the Skoda website + the freezes / drop outs & restarts which is why it took 5hrs +. 

Just tested my line test download speed for my Vodaphone Superfast connection which is in excess of 35mb/sec - see below.

image.png.5901710c0aaf33b39bb7fee1b5d01693.png

So, I can only deduce that the week link in my chain is my aging laptop processor. This has now prompted me to make the switch to my new Azus laptop which I bought earlier this year but I have not yet managed to make the switch to yet. I might need to get my son involved in that as the thought of transferring all the stuff over is a bit daunting.  

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

VIN number required.

not necessary when direct links are known
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/7-skoda-audio-electronics-and-security/

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

A 32GB SD would have done the job but for not much more

no problems with 32Gb Fat32 Trancend

~55 min - download from i-net

~30 min - extract files

~40 min - load into Columbus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Sat Nav update.

Then the download.

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

@Colin170CR, as @Kenny R said, in case you missed it, if you pop your SD card and start the update, it will pick up where it left off if you interrupt power. I usually put mine in at the start of a journey and start the process. Then I just let it do its thing and forget about it! 

My internet download speed is about half of yours and it can take around 6 hours to download. I use the download links kindly provided by @MartiniB 👍

1 hour ago, cmp1951 said:

And can anyone tell me, why, when we park our pride and joy in an empty area of the supermarket carpark, 100 yards from the  door to said shop, no other cars for 50 yards, when we return the car is surrounded by old bangers parked so close to pride and joy you have to keep hold of the door to prevent hitting said bangers while squeezing in to the drivers seat?  Mind boggling. No doubt a psychologist amongst us can explain?????

This is not the first time this phenomenon has been observed: they are zombie cars with zombie drivers and they seek you out to luxuriate in your radiance. On the bright side, in ten years time, you can park anywhere you want and other drivers will avoid you like the plague. (I didn't say Covid, because no one seems to give a **** about Covid.)

1 hour ago, boydeee said:

@Colin170CR, as @Kenny R said, in case you missed it, if you pop your SD card and start the update, it will pick up where it left off if you interrupt power. I usually put mine in at the start of a journey and start the process. Then I just let it do its thing and forget about it! 

My internet download speed is about half of yours and it can take around 6 hours to download. I use the download links kindly provided by @MartiniB 👍

Thanks for all the info / advice. Starting the sat nav update at the start of a journey would be nice but I've not been & will not be going anywhere for a long enough trip anytime soon:D   Best I have manged recently is a couple of trips for click & collect groceries & today a flue jab at the health centre neither of which are more than 5 miles away.

Hey ho its done now so I guess I have no excuse not to start the decorating. Oh look the Rugby has just started so I can postpone the painting:clap:  

I love procrastination.......

• Haha 1

Hi,

one thing to note for the transfer to USB (if you are using one) is that if your device is V2 it will be much slower than a V3. Also even if it is V3 but your PC is a V2 port it will still be slow and not run at V3 speed.

John

Got my Sportline mapped last Thursday, On Friday engine management like get came on. 

Back up to the tuner Friday night and VCDS threw up a reading of 23.99g of soot😳

sensors cleaned and all is good again. 

38 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

Got my Sportline mapped last Thursday, On Friday engine management like get came on. 

Back up to the tuner Friday night and VCDS threw up a reading of 23.99g of soot😳

sensors cleaned and all is good again. 

On the RR it produced 158.29 standard rising to 193.14 post map with an extra 60Nm of torque. 

2 hours ago, MICKSVRS said:

On the RR it produced 158.29 standard rising to 193.14 post map with an extra 60Nm of torque. 

Is that a 150 tdi? Did you get it done in Munster?

Booked in for an oil change service tomorrow.  Emissions warning light came on the dash at the weekend (23k miles on the clock) so bit concerned as to what that could be, glow plug(s) perhaps.  Warning light also came on to check oil level which I did and there was barely any touching the bottom of the dipstick.  Big dubious as to whether it WAS actually serviced before I picked it up from CarSupermarket at the end of Jan this year....i've only done about 6000 miles in it since.

Hearing a slight creaking noise from the front suspension every now and then when going over certain speed humps at times so gonna get that checked as well.  Still under warranty until Jan next year so rather get this all checked out before the warranty expires.

£180 for an oil change service seems a bit pricey but probably not a lot more than it would cost getting it done elsewhere where I've previously had services/mot's done but would rather get it all looked at and sorted at the dealers this time whilst still in warranty.

Winter wheels and tyres put back on at the weekend. Vindicated by a very heavy frost on Sunday night.

Already up 2mpg presumably as they are narrower despite being 'softer'.

Last petrol car I got 30mpg+ on a trip home from work was a '88 1.4 Citroen BX with 88bhp (ish) . That's progress. ( Don't worry I'll cane it tomorrow)

14 hours ago, cronemeister said:

[...]

Hearing a slight creaking noise from the front suspension every now and then when going over certain speed humps at times so gonna get that checked as well.  Still under warranty until Jan next year so rather get this all checked out before the warranty expires.

[...]

I mentioned that point upon the 20000 mile service for my MY17 Mk3.

They told that they applied a Service Bulletin to put some grease on the silent blocks for the front sway bar. It solved the problem for some months, but it came back.

I've notice the creaking noise increases, as the weather gets more humid and/or colder... :thinking:

I'm curious to get your feedbacks about the solution they will propose you.

54 minutes ago, Chazzy said:

Winter wheels and tyres put back on at the weekend. Vindicated by a very heavy frost on Sunday night.

Already up 2mpg presumably as they are narrower despite being 'softer'.

Last petrol car I got 30mpg+ on a trip home from work was a '88 1.4 Citroen BX with 88bhp (ish) . That's progress. ( Don't worry I'll cane it tomorrow)

I did the exact same myself. I did not however look at my mpg...just my oil temp 😉 

I'm quite enjoying the even plusher ride on the 17 inch Dunlops. It's like driving a sofa around town!

• Like 1