What have you done to your Superb III today?

Felt that there was some vibrations coming through the steering wheel, after I went through a ridge (A road, 55mph, big big thump). 

Therefore I did wheel balancing on the 2 fronts, which were only slightly out of balance. Pressures checked as well although I don't expect that was an issue as I keep on top of it. 

Will find out later this week once I drive on a motorway to see if it's actually something else that is wrong.....

Hit a pheasant at 70mph causing one of the small lower grilles to eject 🤬

Any suggestions for its replacement? I see aftermarket ones for around £30 but are they any good?PXL_20231029_155827354.thumb.jpg.ce2de15bcf49ed5606e8e4194013788c.jpg

@D402 - u can get genuine replacements from Kopacek, however don't forget to order the chrome piece too as it is a separate part.

The sell for approx. 13 to 20 euro each grille piece, plus 40 euro for the chrome piece.

Yeah, ridiculous about the tiny thin piece of chrome costing so much!!!

There r two versions, one for the normal non-AWD, and one for AWD version, which requires additional cooling, hence more holes.

- 3V08536669B9 - left grille (without holes)

- 3V0853665A9B9 - left grille (with holes)

• Thanks 1

Filled the Adblue tank for the second time today, that should take it up to 60k. It was full when I picked it from new and showing a range of 15,000 miles. It appears to be calibrated for a maximum display range of 15k miles but in reality it lasts for 20k each refill. Car was one year old earlier this month and just coming up to 40k. 

23 hours ago, cnc said:

Filled the Adblue tank for the second time today, that should take it up to 60k. It was full when I picked it from new and showing a range of 15,000 miles. It appears to be calibrated for a maximum display range of 15k miles but in reality it lasts for 20k each refill. Car was one year old earlier this month and just coming up to 40k. 

What engine do you have?

The AdBlue range is only 14500 km on my TDI190 DSG6. 🤔

32 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

What engine do you have?

The AdBlue range is only 14500 km on my TDI190 DSG6. 🤔

I have the 150 TDI EVO engine with DSG7.

Adblue range.jpg

• Like 1

The display shows how much Adblue (or DEF) you can/should put in, the car display suggests 15.5 litres:

Adblue refill quantity.jpg

• Like 1

I know TDI150 is like a camel but 15,5l for 15000miles seems really low. Great performance! Happy for you.

My average AdBlue consumption is 0.12l/100km over 100000km. TDI190 (+dead weight due to Haldex system) is a bit greedier, espacially if one has lead sole with gas pedal… 😂

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Dual dashcam installed today. Installation videos on sellers websites saying only 10mn are needed is a joke!

It took me several hours to install both cameras properly.

I paid attention to use tie-wraps to fix the video wire to existing harnesses to be sure it doesn’t disturb airbags blowing out especially along A-pilar and along the rear seat backrest where my Mk3 has additional airbags for rear passengers.

Making the cable connector go through the rubber hose of the tailgate was a mess… 

I finished quite late and night was already down. I ´ll go for a drive tomorrow to check the video quality and adjust the rear camera pitch angle.

I feel your pain. I did this a while ago to mine & more recently for a reversing camera. My tailgate rubber boots are getting rather full!! Copious amounts of WD40 helped slide them through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

I feel your pain. I did this a while ago to mine & more recently for a reversing camera. My tailgate rubber boots are getting rather full!! Copious amounts of WD40 helped slide them through. 

I used a thin hard wire, stuck to the video cable connector with scotch tape to make the connector go thru the rubber hose. A single drop of 5W30 engine oil in my finger and then passed my finger all around the scotch tape and pulled the hard wire. This went not that bad in the end. But I agree, the rubber hose is full !

In the next days, I plan to order black inner rearview mirror housings to make a housing for the rear camera so that it looks OEM. I had a quick look with my original parts. It seems feasible. The hole for the rearview mirror has nearly the same size as the camera lens.

68C9FA72-E19D-486D-9B44-5535738E5268.jpeg

8405F1AA-5618-4C6A-A093-AF33BC719C21.jpeg

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

Technically not done anything to my car yet, but ordered some Osram Night Breakers Lasers NG, completely fed up with the **** poor standard xenons, hopefully get to fit them this sunday after doing open heart surgery just to get to the bulbs...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Technically not done anything to my car yet, but ordered some Osram Night Breakers Lasers NG, completely fed up with the **** poor standard xenons, hopefully get to fit them this sunday after doing open heart surgery just to get to the bulbs...

I bought a 2018 Superb with 70000km on the clock and I guess that the xenons are from factory because it feels like the light is a bit poor, seen others also complain about the stock xenons so im thinking about replacing them too.

7 hours ago, Ynnoj85 said:

I bought a 2018 Superb with 70000km on the clock and I guess that the xenons are from factory because it feels like the light is a bit poor, seen others also complain about the stock xenons so im thinking about replacing them too.

The aim from factory is rubbish as well, if the throw doesn’t improve after new bulbs i’ll manually adjust them in small amounts to bring the aim up higher.

There is some maths involve but don’t believe it’s beeb explained in really really simple turns, so i’ll wing it

My car is 2016 and still on original so I suspect yours will be too

Edited by Danoid
  • Like 2

So an update on my lights...

Removed the wheel arch liner on passenger side (UK), got to the old bulb oit, then couldn't get the STUPID metal clip things to lock on the new bulb, I don't have SLA which is simple anti clockwise to unlock and clockwise to lock.  So I put aside my new bulb and used my old one to get hang of getting the clips to lock, nope nada couldn't get it to lock, it then decided to hammer it down which got me in a mood, then it stopped so went again and still couldn't get it to lock, it then decided to hammer it down but I was in full Hulk mode and carried on, eventually got it to lock by doing bottom metal clip first then top.

Then it decided to rain even harder and I left it at that.  Today I tackled it again and got my new bulb in as I kind of got the hang of it, and put the wheel arch liner back, so passenger side is done.

Now just hoping the weekend is good, so I can do the drivers side.  It really is not an easy task especially due to not having SLA version headlights.

On another note I asked about foam insulation on wheel arch liner a while back.  My 2016 SEL does NOT have these.  I rang Skoda only to hear that they'd be on back order and not in factory so would basically have to be made, but I'll do that next year when the weather is a little bit more predicable, even though it is UK

14 minutes ago, Danoid said:

So an update on my lights...

Removed the wheel arch liner on passenger side (UK), got to the old bulb oit, then couldn't get the STUPID metal clip things to lock on the new bulb, I don't have SLA which is simple anti clockwise to unlock and clockwise to lock.  So I put aside my new bulb and used my old one to get hang of getting the clips to lock, nope nada couldn't get it to lock, it then decided to hammer it down which got me in a mood, then it stopped so went again and still couldn't get it to lock, it then decided to hammer it down but I was in full Hulk mode and carried on, eventually got it to lock by doing bottom metal clip first then top.

Then it decided to rain even harder and I left it at that.  Today I tackled it again and got my new bulb in as I kind of got the hang of it, and put the wheel arch liner back, so passenger side is done.

Now just hoping the weekend is good, so I can do the drivers side.  It really is not an easy task especially due to not having SLA version headlights.

On another note I asked about foam insulation on wheel arch liner a while back.  My 2016 SEL does NOT have these.  I rang Skoda only to hear that they'd be on back order and not in factory so would basically have to be made, but I'll do that next year when the weather is a little bit more predicable, even though it is UK

It's funny how what seems like what should be a simple job on modern cars, turns into a right PITA. Why do manufacturers make changing / replacing a bulb so damn difficult!

I had similar experience with our Hyundai Kona when I wanted change the very weak reversing light bulb for an LED. Now most cars have access to rear bulbs via the boot. Not the Kona. Access to the Kona reversing light bulb is from underneath the car between rear bumper & bodywork which involved lying upside down under the back of the car, removing the rear tray assembly & skinning my knuckles & wrists fumbling blind trying to find the old bulb & get the new back in. Madness. 

I might take your lead & try adding some foam to our Kona's front / rear wheel arch liners to lessen the road noise. 

19 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

It's funny how what seems like what should be a simple job on modern cars, turns into a right PITA. Why do manufacturers make changing / replacing a bulb so damn difficult!

I had similar experience with our Hyundai Kona when I wanted change the very weak reversing light bulb for an LED. Now most cars have access to rear bulbs via the boot. Not the Kona. Access to the Kona reversing light bulb is from underneath the car between rear bumper & bodywork which involved lying upside down under the back of the car, removing the rear tray assembly & skinning my knuckles & wrists fumbling blind trying to find the old bulb & get the new back in. Madness. 

I might take your lead & try adding some foam to our Kona's front / rear wheel arch liners to lessen the road noise. 

It is silly, like even something as simple as an access panel for the lights would help, VW and Audi have these but clearly beyond the minds at Skoda.  I'm not sure who benefits when they make things awkward these days, is it really the dealers?  Yes they get more money to change simple things, but it also takes so long they could have more people coming in at a time.

Once this is all done, I'm just hoping A it works still and B it's been worth it.  From what I've heard & seen the latter should be true

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

Once this is all done, I'm just hoping A it works still and B it's been worth it.  From what I've heard & seen the latter should be true

Me too, as I’m planning to replace the OE units with Osram Xenarc Gen 2. 

• Like 1