Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0TDI (CUPA EA288) high oil consumption

Alvis

I don't know why it can't be fixed? Mine is booked in for pistons replacement in November. If all the other parts of the engine are ok, why change the entire engine? if the pistons / piston rings are the problem.

7 hours ago, BogdanB said:

I don't know why it can't be fixed? Mine is booked in for pistons replacement in November. If all the other parts of the engine are ok, why change the entire engine? if the pistons / piston rings are the problem.

But we don't know what is wrong. I could pay to have the engine removed and taken apart. But..... How much have they quoted you to change the pistons/rings on yours? Do I need to know the extent of the damage? For sure the piston rings may be 90% of the cause. But just general wear from 160.000km will be a factor in the rest of the engine too.

Indications earlier in this thread were that it was a 5,000 EUR cost for a rebuild, pistons etc With no guarantees worth having. The engine blew a year afterwards.

In my case, I have previously done two engine rebuild/ exchanges in my life (Nissan & Mitsubishi). Both went wrong over a period of time. So paying 2,800 more to get an engine with zero km, from top to bottom, and then the work guaranteed for two years, for hardware and work by the same company, seems like a no brainer. But that's just me, and my past experience.

That said, I'm very interested in how yours works out too. Let's compare notes in December 🙂

8 hours ago, TadyTheFish said:

Hahaa.. I will continue to talk to you in english since this is an english forum😁 how much for the blick/pistons and head? 

Are you going to do this work at Vrtač? 

Vrtac, yes.

Drop me a PM, if you can work out how.

• 4 weeks later...

So an update for you guys.

New engine has been fitted by Skoda. Cost was about 7,700 euro. All parts and labour are covered, with a 2 year warranty which is valid worldwide throughout their network. That was about 1/3rd discounted by Skoda, despite my being over 2 years out of warranty, and having 1 service away from Skoda, at a private garage.

The oil usage on the old engine was 1.15 litres per 1.000km before changing the engine.

The new engine has a different part number to the original, and has the new 2mm oil rings, upgraded conrods etc as standard. I therefore do not expect to have this issue again, and hope that I have increased the value of the vehicle, having one of the few 2016 models with the newer engine style.

I have now done 400km, taking it easy to 'run in' the engine. No issues at all. I have to say, the engine is so quiet compared to the old one. Not that the old one was noisy, but after 160.000km, all engines loosen up a bit. 🙂

Not the cheapest solution, but I am very happy with the service I got from the Skoda dealer, even though the actual; cost was a bit steep still for a car a little over 5 years old.

The only niggle I have is that the headlights no longer move side to side when going around corners. I guess they left a sensor unplugged. It will go back next week for that to be fixed. Under warranty, of course.

Regards
Brett

2 hours ago, Crasher said:

From what I can see, the CUPA has never had redesigned rings, just pistons in August this year.

Do you have a part number on that?

Ar the aftermarket pistons sold my MAHLE a good replacement?

Also, where do you get that kind of information?

Edited by BogdanB

I've reached this dilema. Had mine since new (2016 2.0TDi 184ps, think it's a CUNA) and it's always been a little thirsty. I think it was doing 1-1.5 litres per 10k miles right from the start, so nothing major. But has started to increase recently. When it got to 150k it was doing about 1 litre every 2k miles, and it's now approaching 160k and most recently burned through 1 litre in 800 miles! 

I just dont know if it's worth the money investigating the issue. Certainly cant be worth replacing the engine because all the other parts are getting pretty leggy by now. I'm not sure if there is another option other than to run it into the ground. I dont think i could realistically sell it (with a conscience) 

19 hours ago, BogdanB said:

Do you have a part number on that?

Ar the aftermarket pistons sold my MAHLE a good replacement?

Also, where do you get that kind of information?

1) AVG number 04L 107 065 M 001, Mahle 028 PI 00158 000

2) I prefer Mahle pistons to any other brand, I am just fitting four in an Octavia 1U L&K VEP TDI engine

3) It has been my job/life for 42 years

Thanks a lot! 

Is there any availability on those pistons in the UK? I have been searching for a set for a month so far 😞 

The last question wasn't to question your knowledge 😀. I just wanted to know if there is any channel that I can find this kind of information myself.

Edited by BogdanB

• 2 months later...

I have changed only the piston rings ( and all the other 'serviceable' parts involved ) and so far, the oil level seems to not be dropping anymore. (550km done) Will update this post after around 2000-3000km done.

I have a bit of a stupid question. I'm not a mechanic but I was always told that the pistons can't be removed from the bottom. But today a friend of mine that is a machanic told me I can???? Wtf is it posiible on this engine? 

1 hour ago, TadyTheFish said:

I have a bit of a stupid question. I'm not a mechanic but I was always told that the pistons can't be removed from the bottom. But today a friend of mine that is a machanic told me I can???? Wtf is it posiible on this engine? 

I would have thought that would only be possible if the crankshaft is removed first. 

Pistons will not come out from underneath on a 4 cylinder engine with a 5 main bearing crankshaft, it's a physical impossibility.

Even on the very few 3 bearing crank engines from the 50's where they can you can not refit the pistons without breaking the rings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I cant upload any more photos. Anyway the pistons are good only the rings are shot to hell. Mine used up 1L per 400km of highway use. The bearings are ok but I will replace them. I'm a little torn up about replacing the main bearings. Mine has 200.000km so I'm thinking if the engine is open I should spend the extra cash and replace them also