VRS diesel 184 mpg?

The emission gear on your MK3 will considerably stricter than your old MK2. One thing to bear in mind is whether the car is doing any active regenerations, as that will affect the mpg.

When I've done a lot of town / stop start driving in my car, I'd usually struggle to get above 40mpg. Doing a few long journeys, however, will see my mpg rise up well into the 50's.

I've a crd3 box on my car, but I couldn't say I bought it for an mpg increase, more the power increase. I can't say I saw a difference in the mpg. That's more the CRDE's job if you're considering a mod.

With a 2 channel DTUK unit i have gotten 1001km from a tank (rolled over 1001k as I pulled into service station) and filled up and the car took 54l which makes it 5.4l/100km or 52.3mpg (or if you have system set to US gal 43.6mpg)

From experience the tuning box gives about 4% improvement (without adjusting driving style) but lots of room for fun.

If you think a tuning box will increase your fuel efficiency you are kidding yourself.

The car will over-report the MPG as it is injecting more fuel than it thinks.

There are plenty of claims out there about improved efficiency, but as far as I am aware there is an absence of good quality credible evidence (Anecdotes are not evidence, especially from someone trying to justify their purchase to themselves).

It would be farcically easy to prove on a test-track or a long dyno run and would make a fortune for the manufacturer that did it, but still, the evidence isn't there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daspete said:

So 620m from a tank??? I'm lucky if i get 400m.

Just bought a crdt3+ intrested to see what it does in terms of fun and mpg.

My car gives similar range to Gagdet (without any modifications).

I've never managed to hit the magic 1000km but a normally get a projected range over a tank >900km (550miles)

I do believe a tuning box or remap can offer slightly better real economy if the extra performance is not used merely because they would have overridden the manufacturer's emission reduction programming.

22 hours ago, Daspete said:

So 620m from a tank??? I'm lucky if i get 400m.

Just bought a crdt3+ intrested to see what it does in terms of fun and mpg.

Perhaps you need to swap for a 335bhp petrol Tsi Vrs. Just hit 400 hours driven in 14,921 miles since August 2017.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps you need to swap for a 335bhp petrol Tsi Vrs. Just hit 400 hours driven in 14,921 miles since August 2017.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

100 bhp gain = near as damn 40% improvement? Presumably not a generic stage 1 map or box, as these typicslly give you around +20% 

56 minutes ago, stever750 said:

100 bhp gain = near as damn 40% improvement? Presumably not a generic stage 1 map or box, as these typicslly give you around +20% 

Full stage 2 see photo's in 245 owners section. Torque now 517NM standard car 370NM, Golf R 380NM.:o

• Like 1

I get better figures than most posted on here from my heavier 2.0TDi Passat DSG.

Our 1.6TDi Octy DSG is comfortably in the 60's mpg on my 60 mile commute, sometimes higher if I drive for economy. I tend to stick to 80mph om the mways.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by logiclee

Have done several back to back consecutive tankfulls with and without tuning box and I have found that with the same driving style on the same journeys ( too and from work) I have noticed a marginal improvement in economy with turning box approx 4% improvement.  however without it connected on a flat road with no wind at 110km/hr (70ish mph) I get an indicated consumption of 4.6-4.7l/100km (60-61mpg)  the tuning box makes the onboard system over state economy by about 15% (measured by severan consecutive tankfulls).

Honestly if you want a tuning box for economy I wouldn't bother, but if you want more power then go for it.

On 24/10/2018 at 10:10, Gerrycan said:

I do believe a tuning box or remap can offer slightly better real economy if the extra performance is not used merely because they would have overridden the manufacturer's emission reduction programming.

Remap more so than a tuning box, due to the fact that a tuning box won't usually interfere with factors like AFR and timing which will heavily influence economy. That's what I found with my previous car which was a NA inline 6, after tuning economy improved quite a lot as it was running leaner.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, seanVRS184 said:

in eco mode I am getting 57.7mpg over the last 2 weeks 683 miles, this morning on my commute I got 64.3mpg

Pretty identical figures to me. 90% motorway commute across the M69, M6 and M42.

On a motorway high 50s early 60s isnt a problem, combined however is a different story.

I put a DTUK box on for a bit which made an improvement on what I got out of a tank but i removed it as 500nm is far too much torque for that car plus i recon I'd loose my licence quite quickly lol. Plus the clutch and gearbox really doesn't like it. Got a fair few wiffs of clutch with more exuberant driving. 

More modest remap is the better and safer way.

However 500nm is so much fun, pretty much over take what you want and in setting 1 +3 it's an animal.

On 22/10/2018 at 17:13, Daspete said:

Egr and DPF removal are now illegal arnt they?

Love to get rid of those pesky EGR's

Have a look at my LED and DPF posting, on the Fabia 2 forum. 

I had to smile when I read the title of this post... Not being too well up on VRS and other Skoda models, it read like "VRS Diesel 184MPG"

I thought, 184MPG?

Either there is the biggest bull-****ter on the forum, or we ALL need to be driving them! I believe if a manufacturer COULD get near to 200MPG from a diesel, the government would HAVE to overturn those new car rules, due in 2040.

To get that much mileage would most likely also be lowering the so called deadly Nos, in the same way better MPG lowered CO2's in petrol engines. 

Amazing what a little bit of punctuation can do to a sentence!

• Haha 1