1 hour ago, Tech1e said:

MK3 should be 5 years not 4. 

That's what I'd have said too but is that for new cars and is there any written evidence of this?

Quite interesting prices too - the current fixed pricing for a cambelt and waterpump on a petrol car costs:

Skoda - £529

VW - £549 ( but they say they will price match )

Seat - £586

Audi - £725 (for A3 and lower) £745 (for A4 and above) - all 2L and under.   :wall:     Will price match if you ask nicely but then again knowing Audi, they'll probably charge extra you for each question you ask.

30 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

That's what I'd have said too but is that for new cars and is there any written evidence of this?

5 years has been in place since 2010 MY, but your Skoda retailer will be able to confirm by looking up your vehicle specific requirements on ELSA.

Of course your retailer or Skoda UK is going to say change every 5 years,they're more than happy to take an extra £400/500 off you. Someone stated that it has been 5 years interval since MY10, funny then that the mk3 has been about since 12/13 and yet the 'official' maintenance pdf (pg24/25) (which can be found on here in the pinned section) states that the interval change is 210,000km (130,000 miles) and absolutely no mention of a time period. There must be something unique about the UK climate then that eats the timing belt or tensioners to make it the only country that requires it to be done at 5 years or 50,000 miles. I'm on 30,500 miles currently but am over the 5 year period by 8 months, I'll be ****** if I'm going to get it changed at that. The only reason I'll probably get it changed in a couple of years time or sooner if any sign of trouble is because of VAG's inability to produce a decent water pump. If it goes **** up then I'll post on here and you can all laugh at me. Currently though I'm the one sat here shaking my head at all the people happy to part with hundreds of pounds for unnecessarily early work.

Dust rich countries (of which the UK isn't listed as one) have a lower interval of 120,000km.

IMG_20190723_164711.jpg

Edited by hatchy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, hatchy said:

...states that the interval change is 210,000km (130,000 miles) and absolutely no mention of a time period. There must be something unique about the UK climate then that eats the timing belt or tensioners to make it the only country that requires it to be done at 5 years or 50,000 miles. I'm on 30,500 miles currently but am over the 5 year period by 8 months, I'll be ****** if I'm going to get it changed at that. The only reason I'll probably get it changed in a couple of years time or sooner if any sign of trouble is because of VAG's inability to produce a decent water pump. 

I'm not having a go at you or your maintenance regime but wanted to clear up a couple of points in your post:

I don't think anyone said anything about 50,000 miles. The minimum quoted was generally around 100,000.

My second point was going to be about cam belts giving up in one go rather than with a 'sign of trouble'. Then I realised you were talking about the water pump which is a valid point and the reason I'll get mine done again at 4/5 years.

The 50k vs 100k still stands though.😋

50k (this was told to me by the Skoda dealership salesman who sold me the mk3 I have now) or 100k they are all wrong. Can you think of another country where the dealers or manufacturer would be more paranoid about the timing belt change than the USA,given that countries reputation for taking every little thing to court for compensation? Yet you look up there maintenance schedule for the 2.0tdi cars sold there and it's 130,000 miles and again no mention of a 'or after so many years'. 

Edited by hatchy
  • Thanks 1

As said many times before, VAG world is full of conflicting advice or more often than not, no advice. I find both Skoda and SEAT pretty rubbish when it comes to information.

VW however are slightly better, so you can go around the world's VW websites for information.

6 hours ago, hatchy said:

There must be something unique about the UK climate then that eats the timing belt or tensioners to make it the only country that requires it to be done at 5 years or 50,000 miles.

I'm on 30,500 miles currently but am over the 5 year period by 8 months, I'll be ****** if I'm going to get it changed at that. The only reason I'll probably get it changed in a couple of years time or sooner if any sign of trouble is because of VAG's inability to produce a decent water pump. If it goes **** up then I'll post on here and you can all laugh at me.

Currently though I'm the one sat here shaking my head at all the people happy to part with hundreds of pounds for unnecessarily early work.

Dust rich countries (of which the UK isn't listed as one) have a lower interval of 120,000km.

As per above not sure where you get the 50,000 miles from but tbh it doesn't really matter.  Having a look around the world, the worst case I've found is Canada  - every 6 years or 90,000km.  So when you say UK is the only country, you're wrong. 

In Germany ( the Polish website seems a direct copy) there is no time given but the belt can last up to 360,000km :thumbup:  Or 240,000km if there's lots of stop/start ie taxis.

To be honest I'm not sure why anyone bothers to suggest some particular advice is wrong because if VAG themselves don't know !

As said somewhere previous, best solution is to ask garage from where the car was sold, that way if it does go tit's up you can always come back with "but you said..."

If the seller says every 5yr and you think it's longer then no worries. But if the belt did go tits up you have no comeback. As ever the contract is between whoever sells the car and whoever buys it, NOT the manufacturer.

• 3 years later...
On 07/03/2019 at 10:17, iriches said:

In a MK3 VRS 220 TSI you have the EA888-Gen3 engine.

This uses a cam chain, not a belt.

2.0 ltr tdi 180bhp is that a belt or chain 

• 2 months later...

instead of opening a new thread, i thought i should carry on this one.

My car is 1.4TSI 2017 model. It has just crossed five years (registered 24 October 2017) and 86,500 miles on the clock. Do i have to consider changing the timing belt right now? or i should keep an eye on it and keep on inspecting it from the local garage whenever i go for mot or servicing?

24 minutes ago, automass said:

My car is 1.4TSI 2017 model. It has just crossed five years (registered 24 October 2017) and 86,500 miles on the clock. Do i have to consider changing the timing belt right now? or i should keep an eye on it and keep on inspecting it from the local garage whenever i go for mot or servicing?

I think it's due at 120,000 km, so overdue. Sorry that was for dust rich Countries

Well this is what I see, first column is for normal countries, second for dusty.

It only shows a - so perhaps means it's the same as dusty, so perhaps it is 120,000 km for both?

942019591_AdditionalWorkMY2017.thumb.png.a270bf0abf6db7b2800fd1a6be716f9d.png

Edited by varooom
Additional Information
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, varooom said:

I think it's due at 120,000 km, so overdue. Sorry that was for dust rich Countries

Well this is what I see, first column is for normal countries, second for dusty.

It only shows a - so perhaps means it's the same as dusty, so perhaps it is 120,000 km for both?

/cdn-cgi/mirage/2847242781e442236e4c1430d733d05874d10def71fb977f29de85524a4e7259/1440/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/942019591_AdditionalWorkMY2017.thumb.png.a270bf0abf6db7b2800fd1a6be716f9d.png

There is also a later section for the 1.4tsi in the Kodiaq workshop manual (not sure if the Octavia one is the same) specific to inspecting the toothed belt on the 1.4tsi but nothing similar for any other engine.  I'd therefore wager that the dash means not needed...   Hence the inspection info. 

Interpreting the dash that way would then tally with the regime for the panoramic roof and cleaning and lubricating rails in dusty countries but not elsewhere? 

It also would tally with the 'lifetime' belt info that was circulated at the engines launch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, varooom said:

942019591_AdditionalWorkMY2017.thumb.png.a270bf0abf6db7b2800fd1a6be716f9d.png

What about the years? it should say something about the year as well.  I don't have service book, hence i can not check the exact miles and years.

1 minute ago, automass said:

What about the years? it should say something about the year as well.  I don't have service book, hence i can not check the exact miles and years.

Nope no mention of years anywhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, automass said:

This has always been a confusing area for 1.4TSI owners in the UK, the advice from VAG in other countries and official documentation is somewhat contradicted by the advice of Skoda UK that the timing belt should be replaced after 5 years.

There seems to be no logic to this advice from Skoda UK since the UK does not fall into any category of extreme environment, so the feeling that it is no more than an attempt to generate work for UK Skoda dealers is hard not to give some credence to.

There has been much heated discussion on this subject on briskoda over the years - I owned a 2015 1.4TSI from 2016 until 2021 and took the decision to have the cambelt changed in 2020 (partly so my ex couldn't accuse me of passing to her an improperly maintained vehicle).

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, automass said:

So, what's the advice for me then?

It depends on how much you want to believe Skoda UK over the rest of the VAG empire, and what your personal level of risk avoidance is.

I took the decision to have the cambelt changed after 5 years following an early experience with cambelt failure on a Vauxhall Corsa GSi 16V just 1 week after a dealer had replaced the cambelt but not the tensioner which led to catastrophic head & valve damage requiring a replacement head - this was covered by an extended warranty so the cost to me was zero (they even paid for a hire car).

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

This is from VW :-

Service Training

Self-Study Programme 511

The New EA211 Petrol Engine Family

Design and function

On page 13 it has :-

Toothed belt drive The camshafts are driven by a maintenance-free toothed belt. It is tensioned using an automatic tensioning roller, which uses contact shoulders at the same time to guide the toothed belt. An idler roller on the tension side and the special shape of the camshaft sprockets in the 3-cylinder engine, or camshaft gearwheel in the 4-cylinder engine respectively, ensure that the toothed belt runs smoothly.

Your guess is a good as mine.

I have looked at my belt and have not changed it.

Fabia III, 2016, EA 211,  1.2 TSI, 68k miles.

Thanks. AG Falco

Really difficult to decide. I am thinking to send an email to skoda customer service including my VIN. if they can give me any idea.

@automass Ideas are fine.  They can only tell you what the script is they have to follow.

In the UK that will be @ 5 years.

It is not rocket science or even based on mechanical engineering.    You decide about your vehicle.   

There is no warranty involved because even if you bought an extended one taxis are not covered. 

As to Customer Services, those call handlers have no more knowledge regarding the maintenance of a Skoda than you can find online. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.03b06c85571b53b664b7942fca3ad3bc.webp.f393ed8c476db32331ff95a994fd58a3.webp

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg.59c8e70155a4cf78e8950a1f2f6ef6be (1).jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, toot said:

@automass Ideas are fine.  They can only tell you what the script is they have to follow.

In the UK that will be @ 5 years.

It is not rocket science or even based on mechanical engineering.    You decide about your vehicle.   

There is no warranty involved because even if you bought an extended one taxis are not covered. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

Your maintenance list says, DSG oil needs changing in 4 years, but as far as i know this model (1.4TSI) has got life long DSG oil and there is no way of changing the oil. Can someone else confirm me about it please.

• Haha 1

@automassThat is not my list.  Skoda publish that.  A generalisation sort of coverall that causes more confusion than it needs to.

Even people on a Main Dealer Service Desk are often clueless, as are their supervisors.

That is the issue,   getting the correct info from Skoda UK.   Even dealership employees and contractors get it wrong because the published stuff can be guff. 

Obviously that 40,000 applies to the DSG it applies to which is not those at 80,000 or not requiring an oil change. & it is not @ 4 years.

(There is a way of changing the oil. the way it was done when there was a World Wide Recall & a Service Campaign, 2012 & 2014 in Europe.

& how some people do it.  There are 2 oils, in the box and in the MCU.  You do not need to do it though.)

THIS CHART BELOW IS FROM A 'TPS' WEBPAGE. 

SKODA / GROUP DO NOT MAKE IT EASY FOR OWNERS TO FIND THIS INFORMATION ON THE SERVICE SCHEDULES / REQUIRMENTS.

1967968741_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28.webp

Screenshot 2022-12-25 06.21.54.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1