Head unit upgrade

3 minutes ago, SimonBaines said:

They just said they thought it needed replacing (not very helpful). The sound is intermittent - worked fine today on the way in to work, but can go for days/weeks with no sound and then suddenly reappear. Sometimes sound goes off mid-journey, but often after the car has stopped, engine off etc and then re-started. It's not the speakers I don't think, as the parking sensors work fine. When the sound fails it is for all applications: radio (DAB and AM/FM), satnav, phone etc. Any suggestions welcome. I am just looking for a satnav/radio/DAB replacement. The car has a separate CD player in the glove box so unsure if this would work with a non-skoda replacement.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/JVC-KW-M25BT-mechless-Double-DIN-head-unit-Bluetooth-USB-Android-mirroring-HU-JVC-KW01 - saw this one and thought it might do the job; can buy a fascia and DAB lead too

The unit in the glovebox is actually the brains of the entire system. Does the CD player still work when the sound is gone from radio, phone?

It could be the case there is a bad/loose connection on the back of the glovebox unit you can pop it out with keys you can get on eBay which are cheap. It's worth a look before spending a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, SimonBaines said:

The CD player also gives no sound when the system is playing up 😞

I would still be pulling it out to check connections. If it's that unit you could get a 2nd hand one. You can get the model number in settings under system information.

• Like 1

Hi

About year ago replaced Amundsen MIB2 with Swing radio unit. Still works fine. One day just thought can I put original Swing back in case I want. Turned out I can not. component protection kicked in. Just wanted to know why? Swing radio is from that car I tried to put it back. 

2 hours ago, MargusRoo said:

Hi

About year ago replaced Amundsen MIB2 with Swing radio unit. Still works fine. One day just thought can I put original Swing back in case I want. Turned out I can not. component protection kicked in. Just wanted to know why? Swing radio is from that car I tried to put it back. 

The car now remembers the radio not the other way round (as it used to be) as the CP master is in the car,

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

Hello and good morning. I have a 2014 vrs octavia with the smaller touch screen I believe 6inch? Now it's going faulty but my mate has a 2016 octavia with the larger 8 inch screen but it's been in a crash(not repairable) was wondering if I can just swap the touch screen units over? Any help is appreciated thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi could anyone help me out please, I'm looking to upgrade my stereo (5Q0035874) to the newer touch screen version, but I have no clue what I need parts wise, do I just need the 8" screen or the screen and part in the glove box? Also what would work and what wouldn't work on the newer screen would maps and things work? If someone can help that would be great! Thanks in advance. Picture attached at what I've been looking at. 

FB_IMG_1643575342934.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hi don't know if this is an old thread or not but i have just  got an older car a roomster 2014 (saves paying finance on a car and owing 6k)only 46k on clock,anyway  the stereo iss old a swing i think din2 i have been looking a things and will this be ok for the car ? obviously a new arial would have to be put in 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294569276201?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda&hash=item4495b27329:g:thwAAOSw5bBhpQMD

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2019 at 14:51, SashaGrace said:

The screen Johnny has is a 5E0919605M FL 8 inch Amundsen screen and they work lovely with the 5Q0035874A Amundsen but the APP button won't work. To get back to SmartLink you find it in the Menu like you would with the original screen (it replaces the Traffic button which is also available in the Main Menu). These go for around the £2-250 mark but it's important to get one complete with the bottom trim as I don't believe these have their own part number.

Apart from just swapping screens over what other things do i need to do or will it just work?

Hello I have an early 2014 vrs with a tiny sat nav screen which is doing its own thing recently. I have a different octavia but the screen is bigger part number is 5e0919605j can I just swap the screens? Or is it more than that. Same buttons and everything.

42 minutes ago, Rob118 said:

Hello I have an early 2014 vrs with a tiny sat nav screen which is doing its own thing recently. I have a different octavia but the screen is bigger part number is 5e0919605j can I just swap the screens? Or is it more than that. Same buttons and everything.

No you can't swap that unfortunately. For a 2014 you will need a matching screen or a full system as detailed in this thread.

Thank you when you say a full system I'm assuming you mean the cd part in the glove box? Sorry to be a dummy about this I have no clue about it all 

Yes the cd part is the main head unit. Think of it like a pc with separate monitor. The head unit needs coding to the car and then the screen can plug in. Older units pre 2016 need their specific screen. 2016 onwards have some cross compatibility but not backward compatibility (as a rule). 

All the info is in this forum if not this thread.

• 10 months later...

I have the same model as that of Rahul. I see this 5E0919605N is one of the options; is there any other / better options that i could consider for an upgrade as well. Thanks in advance. 

On 16/03/2020 at 15:34, SashaGrace said:

What features do you want? That’s a MIB2 Bolero. If you want the larger screen then 5E0919605N is the one you want, plug and play upgrade.

@SashaGraceI have the same model as that of Rahul. I see this 5E0919605N is one of the options; is there any other / better options that i could consider for an upgrade as well. Thanks in advance. 

On 11/01/2021 at 14:39, langers2k said:

Having done this on a MY18 Octavia I can answer some of your questions:

VC and non-VC use the same connector and wiring

- If you want maps/radio logos/contact pictures, you'll need to add a MOST (fibre optic) cable and need a MIB 2.5 headunit

- Part numbers are either 5E0920790 or 5E0920790A

I'm not 100% what the difference between the part numbers are but I'd suggest the later A revision as the software version is much higher. The earlier version might not show the 'sporty' display which is my favourite! Little extra on map mode, the Columbus can display maps on the headunit and cluster concurrently, whereas the Amundsen can only display on one at a time.

You'll need someone with ODIS with an online connection to match component protection and the immobiliser/keys. Quick few notes regarding the odometer:

- The odometer can only be set on new clusters or those with very low mileage (100km or less?)

- You can increase the odometer with a CAN simulator (adding ~4000 miles per day)

- I'm not aware of any method to reduce the odometer

As you have an pre-FL car you might need to replace the CAN-gateway but I'm sure @SashaGrace can add more info or correct me where needed :)

Hello @langers2k, this is great info and I am excited to potentially consider a similar upgrade. Any guidance on whether this would work for my specific model - Skoda Octavia MK III (2016) 2.0 TDI DSG. Thanks in Advance !!!

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-17 at 10.28.43.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-17 at 10.28.43_1.jpg

On 17/01/2023 at 05:59, Badri_K said:

Well you have no satnav so you may have to fit a gps antenna. Also do you have dab? If not same punition. 

• 1 month later...

@pab567

hi, i have a question.  I have a mib2 with a small screen and I would like to change it to a 5e0919606 or a 5e0919605m, I've read the whole discussion but I have a doubt.  if I buy a sedan screen which car image is displayed in the car menu after installing the new screen on my station wagon?

5 hours ago, M4RGH3R1T0N3 said:

Well! does mounting 5e0919605m to pfl require coding?

thanks so much! 

It is a plug and play process, could be though difference on the plug that goes in to the screen. You can just cut of the "excess".

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2023 at 11:27, M4RGH3R1T0N3 said:

thanks, i'm not sure i want to mount the 5e0919605m because of the app key that doesn't work, i prefer to have physical keys that work perfectly, i think the 5e0919606 is the best solution for me

Update to 4xx firmware and the app button will work. Its not a normal update process but can be done. 

• Love it! 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, been reading this topic but just want to be sure of what can I swap plug and play to get a bigger screen?

Skoda Octavia mk3 2015 with small screen but with nav and smartlink (android auto and carplay), also will everything work/display well (reverse camera, parking sensors and Canton Sound System)?

Thank you.

20230705_111040.jpg

20230705_111007.jpg

20230705_111221.jpg

20230705_111208.jpg