Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

I received a successful 'power loss issue' update in the spring for my Karoq 1.5 TSI 150ps manual (68 plate).

I've just received the roll-up Service Camp 24EU update that also includes the 'Kangaroo fix' - so far so good.

The proof will be when the frosty mornings start but so far with a 8 deg C start it appears much better. 😊

I've only driven mine about 6 miles but the first thing I didn't notice on the cold start from the dealers was that slight hesitation....so initially a 'good' from me

After the shenanigans of last week (reported a few posts ago), we used the Karoq at the weekend for journeys of approx 90, 30, 30, 90 miles; the weather for these journeys was wet and miserable but not particularly cold (around 12 degrees). I had changed a couple of parameters which I had an idea might affect things (?) - I switched off the auto-stop/start and I switched to 'sport' mode. The car was fine ....... no dying, and no significant kangarooing ........ and it pulled well.

As an aside, for the two 30 mile sections, the car had five adult occupants and the three on the back seat said they found it quite comfortable. My wife remarked that it was far better than a Qashqai, a Mazda CX5 and a Yeti (which she described as awful).

18 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

After the shenanigans of last week (reported a few posts ago), we used the Karoq at the weekend for journeys of approx 90, 30, 30, 90 miles; the weather for these journeys was wet and miserable but not particularly cold (around 12 degrees). I had changed a couple of parameters which I had an idea might affect things (?) - I switched off the auto-stop/start and I switched to 'sport' mode. The car was fine ....... no dying, and no significant kangarooing ........ and it pulled well.

As an aside, for the two 30 mile sections, the car had five adult occupants and the three on the back seat said they found it quite comfortable. My wife remarked that it was far better than a Qashqai, a Mazda CX5 and a Yeti (which she described as awful).

As a matter of interest had you tried that before your Karoq had the recent 24EU update?

31 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

As a matter of interest had you tried that before your Karoq had the recent 24EU update?

THAT is a good question. In the past, I would have switched off the auto-stop/start, and I would have tried the sport mode but I don't think that I would have done both things simultaneously nor would I have closely monitored the effect. I am due a call from Skoda UK later in the week and I will endeavour to check this out during the next few days.

My Karoq was made during week 50 2018 and I collected it from a dealer 300 miles away towards the end of January 2019, I was lucky in that there was no k'rooing but the no power/flat spot at low revs in 2nd gear was. The Q2 update was done at the end of April and the "hesitation" did disappear although the throttle/rev response was't that fast but definitely an improvement. There was a sort of Joey effect post update but after 600+ miles it was no longer noticeable so all in all I am wondering if I should get the new 24EU update applied if it is specifically for the k'rooing issue, can't seem to find out in detail what all it is meant to improve from the out-front service persons, I'll ask again sometime this week.

I was in a similar position to you, i.e. 1.5 SEL manual  build date September 2018. I had the software update to cure the 2nd gear hesitation,( my car never suffered the kangarooing) and it appears to be completely successful. Knowing that the Kangarooing update is now available I did ask Neha at Skoda UK if I should have it done also, Neha was quite definite in saying NO, if the car did not suffer kangarooing leave things as they are.  No doubt good advice as whilst the dealer can update the ECU software if problems arise I would doubt very much whether they could revert back to the old software. As the car now seems to be fine I will leave things as they are.

I used the SUK online Chat recently to find out if my Karoq required the 24EU update, after giving the CS person the VIN I was told it would require the update which was also confirmed when I contacted SUK by email, for the time being I will not get the 24EU update applied until I find more about it from my local Skoda dealer/retailer and maybe not even at all as the engine is running fine just now.

I wonder if not taking the update could make a certain claim on the warranty invalid e.g. engine related?

Karoq 24EU update October 2019.jpg

Edited by Apprentice
addition

Just had a weekend in North Yorkshire, the weather was not what you would call cold but the rain was pretty bad especially on Saturday  so mileage was curtailed. Total trip 334 miles on mixed roads but mostly motorways. Drove in normal mode, averaged 41.9 mpg overall and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No kangarooing, no power loss and great road handling throughout.  Just that very slight blip I mentioned before when pulling away from stationary. Had I bought it "as is' I would have been very happy. Would I have bought it knowing what we now know? Certainly not!! Hopefully my woes with the Karoq 1.5 petrol engine are at an end, we shall have to see!

The basic explanation I got using Chat re. the 24EU update was that this update will improve the torque provided by the engine at low engine speed, resulting in a better accelerator response when pulling away, and preventing delayed acceleration.

The explanation from my nearest Skoda dealer was much the same with regard to better and smoother acceleration.

Edited by Apprentice
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

The basic explanation I got using Chat re. the 24EU update was that this update will improve the torque provided by the engine at low engine speed, resulting in a better accelerator response when pulling away, and preventing delayed acceleration.

The explanation from my nearest Skoda dealer was much the same with regard to better and smoother acceleration.

This makes me wonder if the torque, on pulling away, would be further tested if the engine had been stopped ........ by the start/stop system.

I've no idea regarding the torque issue as at low revs good torque depends on the air/fuel ratio and the mapping of the ECU + hardware, I tend to have s/s deactivated as prior to the Q2 hesitation update there were one or two rare occasions when the engine stopped as expected but didn't self start when twitching the steering wheel or depressing the clutch, a message would appear stating to "start manually" but it hasn't happened since that update.

Is everyone happy with the results of the updates so far, or are there still slight problems that people are willing to live with? Is anyone still trying to reject?

Has anyone had an independent inspection on their car, & if so did it report the issues?

9 hours ago, Karr3 said:

Is everyone happy with the results of the updates so far, or are there still slight problems that people are willing to live with? Is anyone still trying to reject?

Has anyone had an independent inspection on their car, & if so did it report the issues?

My car still a piece of **** after update.

The dealer and the importer are convinced that the car is perfect. Now I’m looking for a less unprofitable sales option.

I hate VAG!

• Sad 1

Since the car ran well last weekend, I've been switching off the auto start/stop every time I use it, and keeping it in 'sport' mode; I'm still trying to work out if this really is making the car better or, if it is purely psychological. This morning, the engine died as I was leaving traffic lights, but I was not in a dangerous position and, to be honest, I probably hadn't got enough revs on. Mind you, I've never had to worry about this in any other car that I've driven over the past 50 years.

The update seems to have helped greatly, but there is still room for improvement. And would I buy another Skoda or, for that matter, anything VWG? Definitely not - this one has simply caused me too much angst.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if I have seen anyone with a DSG report back? My major service has triggered and in a few weeks time I will have the car in at MK.

Mines a 2018 model so not sure if the fix is for it, I will try and chat with SKUK later today.

Anyone with a 2018 DSG had a fix applied?

Have a 2019 DSG and the engine has stopped once on trying to pull away when cold. Its going in today for a minor trim correction and the dealer has said that it is due an update for the engine management system. I do not have the knowledge about the 24EU thing, but I will ask them if it is this that is being updated. How can I tell what updates or original files are on the car please.

2 hours ago, Scruffy said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there a problem with the DSG's as well? If so what is it?

Hi,

While the problems experienced by the those with manual gearbox is more severe I think Skoda have admitted that the DSG's need tweaks? I certainly know mine is a bit jerky at first which I think is just the DSG disguising the problems.

2 hours ago, Jim104 said:

Have a 2019 DSG and the engine has stopped once on trying to pull away when cold. Its going in today for a minor trim correction and the dealer has said that it is due an update for the engine management system. I do not have the knowledge about the 24EU thing, but I will ask them if it is this that is being updated. How can I tell what updates or original files are on the car please.

Hi that would be good to hear.

I just been out this morning and missed a call with SK MK so I need to later today log on my pc and chat with SK UK to check re the update..

Quick update - Finally got on a Live Chat with SK UK and they confirmed my current ECU software version is "6020, while the latest is: 9752" So I will get it updated in 3 weeks time and report back on my jerkyness at start up which is more noticeable now it is colder in the mornings...