VRS Tyres

Hi all

I have a '16 Skoda Octavia vrs Petrol, owned from new, with 18k on the clock. The Bridgestone Potenza 225/40 R18 tyres have 2 or 3 mm tread left so will need replacing soon. The car is used for SDP only. I'd like to replace them with tyres that give me just as much grip and feel, but with a better ride perhaps - probably an impossible feat? Grateful for any recommendations. Thanks, Nick

Love my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s.

On my third set. Reasonably quiet (all relative with the vRS) and great grip.  Last well enough too. 

Make sure you get the ones with the rim protection, protects the wheels if you gently nudge a kerb (they have FP at the end of the name, as in - 225/40 R18 92Y XL FP)

Edited by dunc69

If you are prepared to spend a bit more Michelin PS4 or the even better PS4S are relatively quiet, last forever and give astonishing grip wet or dry road. The other day wet road and no wheelspin in the lower gears despite 380lb/ft of torque and 336bhp so no harder test for a tyre.:thumbup:

• Like 2

On 31/05/2019 at 16:10, shyVRS245 said:

If you are prepared to spend a bit more Michelin PS4 or the even better PS4S are relatively quiet, last forever and give astonishing grip wet or dry road. The other day wet road and no wheelspin in the lower gears despite 380lb/ft of torque and 336bhp so no harder test for a tyre.:thumbup:

Your location states you have 335.9 bhp not 336 in your 245,     Don't be stating it has more bhp than it actually has.          😎

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Your location states you have 335.9 bhp not 336 in your 245,     Don't be stating it has more bhp than it actually has.          😎

Ok only 330bhp at 5,000rpm or really trying at 5,250rpm.:whew:

• Like 1

PS4's for me, although I previously had Avon ZV7's and I liked them too.  Previously had F1's and they were certainly a cracking tyre.  All three in a different league to the S001's it came with.

Gaz

Ive driven the bridgestones and the goodyear asymmetrics back to back, then once again when I abandoned my old VRS to pick up my new one with the god awful bridgestones on it.

You wont just get more comfort with equal grip you will get a much better performing and quieter tyre. My bridgestones lasted 12k last time, hated them.

I've always used a website called openeo. The tyres are generally alot cheaper and if you know someone that will chuck them you on your onto a winner. Uniroyals are great in the wet and arnt too noisy. 

@Old_Git If you want bit of comfort, some of the suggestions so far seem to be more for spirited driving regardless of how harsh, so might not be appropriate 

The other factor to consider is do you want them to work well when there is frost, Autumn leaf mulch, muddy field run off rain, sleety rain etc.  If so, all seasons will be better than some of the summer tyres suggested (admittedly you won’t get around a bone dry racetrack as fast, but you might actually want to use the car more than half the year)

For summer tyres look at Continental Premium Contact 6 or Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5

For all year tyres look at Continental All season contact, Vredestein Quatrac Pro,  and possibly Uniroyal All season Expert 2 

You may find dropping to 17 inch wheels suit you better as far as comfort goes. 95%* of the performance too and cheaper tyres. Obviously more to set up with the cost of wheels but cheaper in the long run.

* Guessed from reading/watching tyre comparisons.

You may find dropping to 17 inch wheels suit you better as far as comfort goes. 95%* of the performance too and cheaper tyres. Obviously more to set up with the cost of wheels but cheaper in the long run.

* Guessed from reading/watching tyre comparisons.

What's SDP? Not another offshoot political party I hope. 

I've never been a fan of the Bridgestone Potenza and it's funny that you never get anyone recommending them on these here tyre threads. Not fussed with ultimate performance myself and for a better ride I went to Conti premium contact and have nothing bad to say about them. 

To be fair, the bridgestones which are fitted from the factory aren't too bad in the dry. They aren't overly loud and they've a decent enough lifespan.

The main issue with them is their wet performance. The minute there's a spot of rain on the road and you try to 'give it some beans' the traction control is kicking in all the time. They are a very 'summer' oriented tyre. I've found them to be a bit unpredictable in the cold as well. 

16 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

C'mon, a thread isn't a thread unless he's mentioned his:

• bhp

• torque

• tyres

• brakes (and braided hoses & dot 5.1 fluid doncha know :rock: )

• car's superior power to weight to various others

• mpg 

• photo of mpg

• top speed

• wife's Karoq's mpg

• photo of wife's Karoq's mpg

• wife's Karoq's top speed

Did I miss anything?

:D

No.:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

You can't go wrong with rainsport 3s with UK weather. Excellent tyre. They wear quick because they're a soft wet weather compound its the trade off for having tyres that won't let you down. 

You can go wrong for the exact reason you described. They wear quick compared to other premium tyres that aren't much more expensive. A Goodyear F1 AS5 is exactly the same price per corner more expensive fitted via blackcircles (225/40/18), and the Michelin PS4 £3 a corner more expensive.

Can't remember the last time I saw them up there towards the top of any tyre group tests either, especially in wet conditions which you state they perform well in. Most overrated tyre on the internet in my opinion. See this large tyre test here and in particular wet braking performance Vs the Michelin PS4 and Goodyear F1 AS5 I mentioned above. Both tyres perform better wet or dry and last considerably longer:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Summer-53-Tyre-Braking-Shootout.htm

Edited by ahenners