Winters or swap to all seasons?

micro

Would strongly advise you to avoid the primacy(4's?) as they were OEM on my old citroen and were crap. Good for fuel economy but no grip in any conditions compared to quatrac 5's I replaced them with. Would imagine your crossclimates will be a good alternative choice. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flybynite said:

I have to admit I do notice a huge difference when I put summers back on. To the extent I put summers on the car that has Goodyear Vector 4S G2.

Have not tried the latest Crossclimate+ but neither the previous crossclimate or the Vector G2 are a patch on the Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Sport Contact I use for summer.

All seasons have made huge improvements in recent years and for some cars/situations/people it is all they will ever need. Good though they are they are not there yet, still a compromise both ends.

As @NikTheGeek above, we are talking about WINTER tyres not snow tyres. Good in snow but made for cold tarmac. One frosty morning on an untreated road is all it takes to prove their worth.

The OP has a 1.6TDI on Fuel saving summer rubber though. I doubt Pilot Sport 4's would be his choice of summer tyres.

Cross Climates will not match PS4 or Eagle F1's on hot dry tarmac but they are not far behind and will match the majority of mainstream summer tyres. Probably more aligned with the Primacy or Efficient Grip for Summer use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Actually, they often recommend Avon tyres, and there are some good ones from them and at good prices.

I used to use TIGAR Tyres fitted at ATS, that company is owned by Michelin as well.  Summers and Winters.

DSCN0331.JPG.5487eb8ac8c1f58c4646869245f2588a.JPG.2dbbca9254cd222861cc1fcdbf03fb5d.JPG.efe0e4bac14bae4286756e98f9214eb5.JPG.9c2fc8976ab7536c030465ee7f3f3c28.jpeg

Tigar must have come on leaps and bounds. I don't know which ones were on my Fiesta, but they were god awful. Only got them because at 17, I couldn't afford much elles Managed to spin the car at a roundabout due to lift off oversteer.....from a 1.1 fiesta!!! It was only a bit damp

4 hours ago, Neptune46 said:

We get a lot of rain in Plymouth. 😭

It's been a fantastic summer so far. Long may it continue. But that will mean a really lousy wet winter...

• Haha 1

How many hours of snow fall last winter around Plymouth?

@tunedude   LOL at the lift off oversteer on a circle.    I should have used that each time i lost it and had a crash. Blamed the tyres as well.

Not knowing what they were just the brand is no reason to then assume all that makers tyres are crap.

If Continental was judged on the Premium Contact 2 ContiSeal tyres that are OEM on my lease car they should be put out of business.

But then SEAT are the ones that buy them in and fit them, or that will be VW doing the buying.

Edited by Roottootemoot

27 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The OP has a 1.6TDI on Fuel saving summer rubber though. I doubt Pilot Sport 4's would be his choice of summer tyres.

Agreed: thats why I said...

4 hours ago, flybynite said:

All seasons have made huge improvements in recent years and for some cars/situations/people it is all they will ever need.

23 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Cross Climates will not match PS4 or Eagle F1's on hot dry tarmac

They won't match them on warm wet tarmac either. Wet performance is worse for winter or all season tyres in warm weather it is a mutually exclusive design

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

How many hours of snow fall last winter around Plymouth?

We aren't talking about snow and snow tyres, we are talking about winter tyres. But since you ask, it was the worst winter in recent memory. People were snowed in, schools were closed. It made national news. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neptune46 said:

I think I've settled on the Crossclimates. 

As they say each to their own, I very satisfied with the Bridgestones. Their grip on the motorway in heavy rain is excellent would say better than the rainsports 3 I had previously.

Edited by Kenrw8

4 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

As they say each to their own, I very satisfied with the Bridgestones. Their grip on the motorway in heavy is excellent would say better than the rainsports 3 I had previously.

It's probably a pretty lame reason but I pick Michelin because they always win Le Man's....,🙄

8 hours ago, Kenrw8 said:

As they say each to their own, I very satisfied with the Bridgestones. Their grip on the motorway in heavy rain is excellent would say better than the rainsports 3 I had previously.

Have Bridgestone A005 weather control on our Roomster and in colder wet weather, they are brilliant.  Even though they are 55 profile they are a lot more sure footed than the 45 profile OEM Pirelli P7s on our other car.

For balance the P7s are great in warm days and dry weather, (and marginally tighter if driving briskly along a winding A road in high summer).  But in autumn or winter, when temperatures drop, it’s noticeable how much better the A005s are, they seem to keep gripping even on damp roads at -5c. (and salted roads seem to stay damp even below freezing point)

I have spun the wheels pulling out of junctions on cold wet days with the P7s (in a 1 litre DSG car) which has convinced me that modern low profile summer tyres shouldn’t be used at UK winter temperatures.  They don’t behave like those knobbly tread tyres of the 1980s.

I've had Michelin CC+ for almost 1 year now. It's great in any weather.

Having 18inch wheels on my Skoda and had almost zero grip during beast from the east. I'll never put any other tyres, only all-season from now on. I also can't be bothered to deal with swapping wheels for winter tyres twice every year and making space to store the other set of wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

We aren't talking about snow and snow tyres, we are talking about winter tyres. But since you ask, it was the worst winter in recent memory. People were snowed in, schools were closed. It made national news. :)

Several roads on Exmoor less than 10 miles from where I I've in north Devon were shown on the national and local news due to being closed by snow drifts as deep as 12 FEET in the 2017/2018 Winter.  Even the road I live on had over 2 FEET of snow.

So it's rare that we get snow 'darn surf' but when we do it comes in bulk.

On 17/09/2019 at 17:52, Neptune46 said:

I think I've settled on the Crossclimates. 

Good choice mate, I've found them very quiet, no noticeable issue with dry summer grip (maybe not razor sharp but it's a 150bhp skoda estate not s sports car!) and have 5 mm left all round across the full width, after over 25k miles, which I think is exceptional. I do have them swapped front to back every 7k and have had tracking done a couple of times in 4 yrs which may help longevity but also comfort imo. Can't see me buying any other tyres now to be honest, brilliant all rounder and great value for money. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hettonist said:

Good choice mate, I've found them very quiet, no noticeable issue with dry summer grip (maybe not razor sharp but it's a 150bhp skoda estate not s sports car!) and have 5 mm left all round across the full width, after over 25k miles, which I think is exceptional. I do have them swapped front to back every 7k and have had tracking done a couple of times in 4 yrs which may help longevity but also comfort imo. Can't see me buying any other tyres now to be honest, brilliant all rounder and great value for money. 

And as quickly as I was settling on them, the Goodyears are inching their way forward after reading reviews - the sipes give it an advantage. Not only do they have a promotion on at the moment (£50 amazon/other shopping voucher for 4 16" tyres fitted), but a local garage also has an offer on 4 tyres fitted - £20 off, meaning they'd be £59 a tyre fitted vs the £77 currently. I've currently got 4mm all round on the Eco rubber in good condition - i'd replace these at 2mm, so I could flog those for some return too (possibly a little off fitting too as they're not disposing of the tyres!)

- 

Edited by micro

1 hour ago, micro said:

And as quickly as I was settling on them, the Goodyears are inching their way forward after reading reviews

One is not really better than the other, just different. The Crossclimate is a summer tyre made to run in the winter, the Goodyear is a winter tyre made to run in the summer, different bias.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micro said:

And as quickly as I was settling on them, the Goodyears are inching their way forward after reading reviews - the sipes give it an advantage. Not only do they have a promotion on at the moment (£50 amazon/other shopping voucher for 4 16" tyres fitted), but a local garage also has an offer on 4 tyres fitted - £20 off, meaning they'd be £59 a tyre fitted vs the £77 currently. I've currently got 4mm all round on the Eco rubber in good condition - i'd replace these at 2mm, so I could flog those for some return too (possibly a little off fitting too as they're not disposing of the tyres!)

- 

Fair do's, I've no experience of those Goodyears although the efficient grip tyres are a good summer tyre. To be honest if budget is that important, looks like a cracking deal for decent tyres that will do what you want them to do so why not just go for it? Looking at various comments both tyres are well regarded, safe and do what they're meant to so £59 a corner get them fitted I say! As I've had such a good experience with the CCs and they are lasting so long £20 more a tyre would be fine but these Goodyears are probably just as good. Life's too short to agonise too much mate, decide what you want, make sure it isn't a rubbish choice and buy according to budget, should work well.

28 minutes ago, Hettonist said:

Fair do's, I've no experience of those Goodyears although the efficient grip tyres are a good summer tyre. To be honest if budget is that important, looks like a cracking deal for decent tyres that will do what you want them to do so why not just go for it? Looking at various comments both tyres are well regarded, safe and do what they're meant to so £59 a corner get them fitted I say! As I've had such a good experience with the CCs and they are lasting so long £20 more a tyre would be fine but these Goodyears are probably just as good. Life's too short to agonise too much mate, decide what you want, make sure it isn't a rubbish choice and buy according to budget, should work well.

Aye, will do next week. The 4Seasons are 2db quieter than the Energy Saver things too on the tyre label, fuel rating the same and wet distance stopping the same. Just watched a video of a chap going up the peak district in some adverse weather and they look like they perform as well as they say.

Never had Goodyears on a car, used to put Linglong ditch finders on my first car - learnt very quickly that quality rubber is the difference between the car doing what you want, and the car not doing what you want!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, micro said:

Aye, will do next week. The 4Seasons are 2db quieter than the Energy Saver things too on the tyre label, fuel rating the same and wet distance stopping the same. Just watched a video of a chap going up the peak district in some adverse weather and they look like they perform as well as they say.

Never had Goodyears on a car, used to put Linglong ditch finders on my first car - learnt very quickly that quality rubber is the difference between the car doing what you want, and the car not doing what you want!

Those energy savers are noisy and uncomfortable, the walls are too hard and although they take a long time to wear out the walls can crack. Sure they do what they're meant to but too single purpose for me and Octavia is noisy enough without any help! Sounds like you're getting a bit of a bargian mate, all good.