1.5 TSI judder and Km display error

Redboy

My friend's 2 week old 1.5 TSI has been recalled for for diagnostic checking due to juddering and an error with the units distance display. Although his speedo and odometer shows Mph, he is unable to change distance units from Km to Mph. The Satnav is only showing distance in Km but speed limits in Mph. Also Speed units can be changed to Mph but Kmh also remains illuminated. The dealers demonstrator has the same issue, which they only seemed to realise after my friend rang up on the way home from picking it up. The dealers initially thought he couldn't work through the menu but now have the same issue. He also says it judders on pull away when cold. He traded in a 17 reg Octavia  1.4 TSI  SE which was butter smooth. Hopefully it will get a quick fix. 

Hm, judder when pulling away? Is it a DSG?

I have a manual 1.5TSI but there is no judder when I pull away. It is rather smooth.

Also since I am using the metric system I haven't tried the imperial MPH :)

On 24/08/2020 at 22:49, OctaviaMK4 said:

Hm, judder when pulling away? Is it a DSG?

I have a manual 1.5TSI but there is no judder when I pull away. It is rather smooth.

Also since I am using the metric system I haven't tried the imperial MPH :)

It is manual. I will ask him if the garage has fixed the problems. 

On 01/09/2020 at 22:43, OctaviaMK4 said:

The Kangaroo effect was with the DSG models as far as I have read and not the manuals?

I thought the Kangaroo effect was stronger with manual versions but the DSG disguised it somewhat.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

^^^ Correct.

Issue with the 1.5TSI Manuals that required the various attempts by VW Group to resolve with software updates after the usual denials.

Also affecting some with DSG's which they denied for even longer, then also the 1.5TSI's with DSG' got a Software update, then there were those that the issue was a DSG software one which is yet another software update.

Confused?  Well that is exactly how VW Group and Dealership staff like it.

'They all do that.'  Never heard of that.  Overblown on forums, we do not listen to forums.    All sorted now sir or madam, not that there was anything to fix.

How the Social Media and Forums catch out liars at VW Group.

The threads are here on Briskoda, in the Karoq Section and any section with models with a 1.5TSI.

That should not include the Scala or Kamiq as the issue that never existed was sorted.   'Or was it?'

On 05/09/2020 at 08:44, fox2319 said:

Did he get the km display thing sorted? Mine seems to be stuck on that too.

Gone back in tonight to be tested for the judderxwhen cold tomorrow am. The km issue is still there so should be looked at....probably waiting for the software update. 

I did some experimenting with an cold engine. 

Yep I agree there is a kangaroo effect. 

BUT it lasts very short time.

Try starting the car, let it idle for 30 seconds and then go. 

I am kinda worried that when it gets really cold the issue will last longer 😒

5 hours ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

I did some experimenting with an cold engine. 

Yep I agree there is a kangaroo effect. 

BUT it lasts very short time.

Try starting the car, let it idle for 30 seconds and then go. 

I am kinda worried that when it gets really cold the issue will last longer 😒

There should be no judder! The Km display issue is still there. Very poor. 

• Like 1

Additionally oncoming traffic is flashing my friend at night using the intelligent headlights. I.e. he suspects that the headlights are not automatically dipping/changing the beam pattern. My headlights are kept on main beam and I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic.  

I have found that if I pull away immediately from a cold start there is a very slight judder perceptible for no more than a few seconds. It’s quite easy to drive around. Interesting to see if it changes when the temperature starts to drop. If I start the car and let it idle for 10 seconds while belting up, turning on radio etc then it’s basically gone by the time I pull away.

otherwise it’s all good - I’ve listened hard to see if there is any noise or vibration at low revs when the cylinders deactivate, and there isn’t - other than the icon coming up on the screen I can’t tell. Also I’ve doubled checked and the Columbus navigation is definitely set to mph and distance in miles when on a route, and came like that from the dealer.

Edited by SUTTS

• 2 weeks later...

My friend is being told that the judder/hesitation is a characteristic of the car. Km issue still there, no fix yet. Headlights blinding oncoming driver can't be tested...until it's dark... 

• Like 1

Skoda rolled out the 'characteristic' excuse when this issue was first identified on the MkIII Skoda Octavia and Skoda Karoq last year, and then again more recently with the Superb and Kodiaq.

Then the media got involved and Skoda started talking about software updates, all of which have had variable results. It seems that this might be more of a hardware than a software issue, or that the software updates are limited in their reach based on the need to achieve strict emissions targets to be able to sell the vehicle here, especially under cold start conditions when the emissions are at their worst.

A quick Google search exposes the breadth of the issues with this engine...

image.png.b0b77226dee763a41a764db67beab9e2.png

So for dealers still to be using the "Sorry sir, they all do it, it's a characteristic of the engine" excuse is really poor and not one I'd be willing to accept.

This does expose the risk of buying new technology. Some early adopters of the 1.5 TSI engine have lost out financially, but to hear it's still an issue today on cars rolling off the production line as we speak is equally concerning.

I've said it before but Skoda seem to be relying on us more and more to do a lot of their testing for them including sorting out these early niggles such as the metrics used for the distance display and headlight adjustment.

9 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I've said it before but Skoda seem to be relying on us more and more to do a lot of their testing for them including sorting out these early niggles such as the metrics used for the distance display and headlight adjustment.

I've said pretty much the same more than once myself. A very unpopular sentiment with the total fans and the newer is automatically better brigade. This thinking is precisely why VAG have gotten away with so much for so long, that and a motoring press too easily impressed by infotainment systems and 'assists'. For me the particular annoyance is that the 1.5 TSI is the important engine.

1.0TSI - Gutless,

vRS iV - too dear, too complicated and DSG 

All Diesels - Great Torque...... but - regen, regen and more regen with a side order of regen

So unless they fix the 1.5 it's not a case of an Octavia with a different engine, its a case of a different car altogether in future.

• Like 2

Ive also experienced the judder on cold start but i had the fabia 1.2 tsi before my octavia so im used to it, i just start the car wait a minute and then its usually fine, when i ordered the car i said i hope it no longer does the juddering when cold and some times in first and his reply was its because i had a 1.2 🤦‍♂️😂

VW Group have a partial solution for the 1.5TSI EVO and issues with DSG's. 

They are going to have the 1.5 TSI with a DSG as a Mild Hybrid only and also do the same with the 1.0TSI's with DSG.

So pulling away will be in Electric mode, and much smother and will do very nicely for the WLTP & RDE2.

That is the future, if you can not sort it then bodge it.

As to the Manuals, then VW keep on about super efficient new gearboxes. 

No idea if they are now fitting these or not and if they can 'fix' the issues that have the cars perform poorly when cold or starting off while still cheating the WLTP / RDE2 results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am testing this cold engine pull off every single day, and I have noticed sometimes it works on higher rpms and everything is smooth, no hesitation, but sometimes it is on lower rpms and then if you are not careful it will jump a little bit.

Anyways this lasts for about 20-30 seconds. The time it takes to get out of my parking place and open the garage door.

After that it is smooth. But I am concerned when the cold weather comes in like below freezing. How the car will react then.

But the.most annoying thing are the engine vibrations. I am reading more and more and the issue is from back in 2012-13 with the 2 cyl mode on the 1.4 TSI

I collected my SE L First Edition last Friday.

All good so far although I am still trying to work out the tech!

The only onvious problem is the SatNAv displaying metric units.

I called at the Dealer this afternoon and after trying all the menus without success the Salesman went and spoke to the service department. Apparently there are a number of cars accross the model range that have this problem with the SatNav. They are waiting for a software update to resolve it. I wonder how long it will be?

2 hours ago, spearmg said:

I collected my SE L First Edition last Friday.

All good so far although I am still trying to work out the tech!

The only onvious problem is the SatNAv displaying metric units.

I called at the Dealer this afternoon and after trying all the menus without success the Salesman went and spoke to the service department. Apparently there are a number of cars accross the model range that have this problem with the SatNav. They are waiting for a software update to resolve it. I wonder how long it will be?

:x still holding my breath... 

56 minutes ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

Come on. Metric is not the issue. Switch over ppl 😄😄😄

Given that all the road signs are in miles, it will take a Government decision and lots of ££££ to make the change which just isn't going to happen any time soon - so until then cars in the UK need to show miles not km.