Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

In the heart of the sea - on Netflix. Presented as the story of the whaler Essex, out of Nantucket - and the story behind Moby ****, as told to the author by a survivor of the Essex.

Greenpeace members will probably have mixed feelings about this film. 

• Like 2

Just now, Warrior193 said:

In the heart of the sea - on Netflix. Presented as the story of the whaler Essex, out of Nantucket - and the story behind Moby ****, as told to the author by a survivor of the Essex.

Oops - net nanny didn't like part of the second title. 

19 hours ago, olduns said:

A series not a film... Norsemen on Netflix. 

Apparently each scene was filmed in Norwegian and English

Thanks for that. Watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty funny.

Not a film offering as such, but over the last few weeks I've noticed that if you type 4K UHD Prime Movies into Amazon you get a list (unsurprisingly)  of their Prime inclusive 4k movies. Most of the ones I've listed are Hollywood movies and were reasonably big budget affairs.

I'm not recommending them as great films, although some of them are, it's more of a "heads up" for those with 4K tvs and if your telly supports HDR most of the movies listed-but not all-are encoded with HDR. Blade Runner 2049 was available in Prime for free until very recently, but it was only 4K, not HDR for instance (film has left Prime and is rental now). 

Amazon don't make it easy to find the 'free' 4k movies for those with Amazon Prime, but they are slowly getting better. Hope there is something that you might enjoy and get a kick out of the improved image quality. Also, I'm not sure if the increased bandwidth demanded by these movies also means the audio is of better quality, but the surround sound component of these offerings below, is in general, excellent! (for a streaming service) :) 

• Jason Bourne series,
  • Midway 
  • Rambo (the last one) 
  • Hunger Game trilogy
  • Some of the Jurassic Parks
  • Jumanji (with the Rock)
  • Cabin in the woods (surprising fun movie)
  • The Purge series
  • Hitman's Bodyguard
  • Bombshell
  • American Psycho
  • Angel has Fallen
  • District 9
  • Warrior
  • Cold Pursuit
  • The Commuter
  • Deepwater Horizon
  • Patriots Day
  • Knives Out
  • Shaun of the Dead (needs no introduction :) )
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Ghostbusters 2
  • Lucy
  • Legend of Zorro
  • Mechanic:Resurrection
  • Early Man
  • The Guernsey literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
  • Hitch

Btw if you type 4K Prime movies into Amazon you will also get a huge amount of Indian films (great if you don't mind subtitles or speak the language)  and many none 4k films included in the listings. I think it's because Indian cinema shoots everything in 4K video (or upscales?) and the none 4K offerings that get shown are probably because it is the Standard definition version of the 4K offering there is an 'R' in the month? It is still a bit random

• Administrators

Superb suggestions, I 'm glad Leon made the list :) I was going to open with that one.

Got some ideas now for the longer winter nights.

We watched the season of 'See' recently on apple+; free trial so may aswell. It was good, very tense. I was meant to be climbing around where it was filmed next year too. Doubt that will happen with all this covid-19...

Last night we watched 'the gentleman' I think, a Guy Ritchi(sp?) film, prime. Anyhow good, expensive cast. Lots of urban language f* c* etc... so delicate ears move along now. Not sure it would ever make a desert island list of films, but good enough, like knives out, but far simpler to guess the path, and no horrendous accents ;) from bond; oops typecast.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 24/09/2020 at 19:31, Warrior193 said:

SWMBO, not greenpeace, but on that track was cheering for the whale for sure :)

• Administrators
On 24/09/2020 at 15:00, olduns said:

A series not a film... Norsemen on Netflix. 

Apparently each scene was filmed in Norwegian and English

How they kep straight faces I don't know. SWMBO can't stand this, less than 5 mins... I personally found it quite ammusing. season2 is out now, although I'm a little way in, I'm waiting for a darker night to lift my spirits with it.

Meanwhile listening to wardruna for my work tunes... e.g.

Watched "First Man" based around Neil Armstrong and NASA's trials and tribulations with tragic failures and joyful success. On Netflix last night starts in 1961 with one of those Bell X2 rocket I think that were carried by plane and then dropped and the rocket fires to carry the pilot to the edge of Space at 140,000 feet. Must have been terrifying for those early test pilots.

• Like 2

I just started watching Norsemen as well. I'm not sure I get it yet. SO hates it as well, must be a Viking thing.

If we're veering into TV -

Umbarella Academy on Netflix.

If you like your humour dark - The Boys, on Prime

I think my ultimate film now involves Sam Rockwell, Karl Urban and Jessica Chastain.

1 hour ago, ColinD said:

Last night we watched 'the gentleman' I think, a Guy Ritchi(sp?) film, prime. Anyhow good, expensive cast. Lots of urban language f* c* etc... so delicate ears move along now. Not sure it would ever make a desert island list of films, but good enough, like knives out, but far simpler to guess the path, and no horrendous accents ;) from bond; oops typecast.

I had the "pleasure', for want of a better word, of going in to Longcross Studios on the last days of the 2019 shooting to strip the wrap off 3 cars from the garage scene. We didn't fit them but it was a favour for 3M, what an eye opener of the world of film 🙄

They were shooting a scene of someone being thrown out a window the other side of doors in garage.... every 5 mins 'quiet please' or rather silence. 

I caught the day they were trying to complete shooting before the Xmas break, finishing a day early.... A looooong day ☹️

• Like 1

I recently watched Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla :D It was the first film me and my brother can remember seeing together at the local cinema (special treat as we only went a couple of times a year)

Truly awful film and yet I loved every second of it. The prequel is pretty good terrible too :) 

My favourite Godzilla film of recent times was Shin Godzilla. An unusual take, a weird Godzilla and fab music. Really enjoyed the scale of it all :) 

Btw Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (I think it was called Godzilla v the Cosmic Monster here) is a Showa era film just like Mothra v Godzilla  :tongueout:      

He's my favourite monster, much betterererer than King Kong 

• Like 1

Channel 4 about a million years ago did a series of Chinese Ghost story films.

They were  a cross between a bad zombie film and 70s Hong Kong Kung Fu.

they were brilliant but I've never seen or even heard of them again

Here is one if you can find it -

• Like 1

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a great film if you like a bit of left field thinking (and don't mind subtitles). I would describe it as the worlds first and only 'French- Wushu- Werewolf- Period drama', yet made.

It also has one of the most gorgeous fight scenes I've ever seen. It's a strangely beautiful film and complete bonkers if you think about it too hard. Well worth a watch and most critics thoroughly enjoyed it :) 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Thanks 1

Some big film's you have been aware of for decades but never quite get round to watching. Until a couple of years back this was the case for me with Get Carter (1971).  I'm sure most folk have seen it but if you haven't then it's well worth watching. I would emphasize the 1971 bit here, having enjoyed this film  I don't think I could bring myself to watch the 2000 version - unless someone can convince me otherwise of course.

2 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Some big film's you have been aware of for decades but never quite get round to watching. Until a couple of years back this was the case for me with Get Carter (1971).  I'm sure most folk have seen it but if you haven't then it's well worth watching. I would emphasize the 1971 bit here, having enjoyed this film  I don't think I could bring myself to watch the 2000 version - unless someone can convince me otherwise of course.

I remember going to the car park from the film (next door to Shepherds of Gateshead) to see the place they made the film. Most exciting bit of concrete I had ever seen :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

I remember going to the car park from the film (next door to Shepherds of Gateshead) to see the place they made the film. Most exciting bit of concrete I had ever seen :D

You could even have got a bit of it for a fiver.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12283814

An old one but enjoyable, saw this whilst off with broken wrist as a change from the War films. 

No preconceptions but definitely not what I expected 🙂

BBC 4 9th October I think? 

edit.... On iPlayer

Edited by olduns
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...