Tiers, Lockdowns & Vaccinations

cheezemonkhai

3 minutes ago, @Lee said:

You want me to answer here why I dislike Johnson and his Government so much? That will take a very long time indeed but if you like, I'll do so. 

No..   read my question...   i said why are you obsessed with them and feel the need to comment on them constantly.

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

We know what you think and would rather keep threads on topic.

45 minutes ago, skomaz said:

No..   read my question...   i said why are you obsessed with them and feel the need to comment on them constantly.

Can you do me a favour and tell me whether you want to keep things on topic or if you'd like me to go off topic and answer your question. Ta.

• Groan 1

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

you hate the UK government so there's no need to keep posting your thoughts on them as it's rather tedious

No more so that seeing you brown to the waist after your latest visit to Matthew Parker Street,

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

No more so that seeing you brown to the waist after your latest visit to Matthew Parker Street,

Eh??   Did you not read my earlier posts??

I didnt vote for them but am simply fed up of the off topic bile that some others post...

Edited by skomaz

27 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Can you do me a favour and tell me whether you want to keep things on topic or if you'd like me to go off topic and answer your question. Ta.

Well to be honest I'd totally prefer to stick on topic and dump the politics but you don't seem to be able to do that so figured I'd ask about your apparent obsession...

If you can leave the politics out of it we can stay on topic.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Well to be honest I'd totally prefer to stick on topic and dump the politics but you don't seem to be able to do that so figured I'd ask about your apparent obsession...

If you can leave the politics out of it we can stay on topic.

When I post something, I try to keep things in the relevent topic. When I post, you're also reading my opinion on things. 
If it's my opinion you dislike, then fine. No problem. We can't all have the same opinion. In fact it'd be a pretty mundane world if we all had the same opinion and nobody's opinion is challenged (which you're more than welcome to do). If you don't like reading my opinions, there's a very simple tool at your disposal. Whether you choose to use that tool is entirely up to you. It's really no skin off my nose. I've just lit the fire and opening a beer so cheers and have a good evening 🍺 :) 

I've been trying to figure out what started this latest little spat and all I can think of is that I mentioned 'Javid will tell us in a day or so' which is a fact. I also said 'maybe they've finally learned something' which is hardly a negative given the fact they've previously been late to lock down/ act.
I admit I was initially wrong with my figure of how many arriveing in Holland had the omicron varient but other than that, I can't think of anything where I was 'political'. Maybe a case of seeing things that aren't there?

Edited by @Lee
  • Groan 1

I think you've missed the point again but there you go.

No problem with you having an opinion...   That's fine ..   it would just be better posted elsewhere on a political forum rather than here on Briskoda.

As for what started this...   look at your posts from earlier today and think about how your words can be interpreted.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I think you've missed the point again but there you go.

No problem with you having an opinion...   That's fine ..   it would just be better posted elsewhere on a political forum rather than here on Briskoda.

As for what started this...   look at your posts from earlier today and think about how your words can be interpreted.

There was no ban on politics on here despite what you and some others would wish for. Remember? 
So my opinions are fine, just not the ones you don't want to read about. Is that about the size of it? So by your rationale, posts about health, humour, music, joy in your day, comedy etc etc etc should all only be posted in their respective forums? Anything but politics is fine. Is that what you're saying? 
Please feel free to point out which posts you're referring to and exactly how they can be interpreted. I've just double checked. I don't seem to have slagged off any particular MP, Minister or party in particular.

I was happy to leave things lie after my last post.

Edited by @Lee
  • Groan 1

22 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Anyway, on a titular related note, I've consulted NHS Ayrshire & Arran's webpage who inform me that I'll be able to "drop-in" for my second dosage on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll report back. :)

Excellent!

And back on topic.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

Speaking of lockdowns and the likes. Does anyone think that we could be facing "restrictions" again in a more locked-down way? This has been something I've been pondering since the discussion about this new variant that I canny remember the name of. 

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

10 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Speaking of lockdowns and the likes. Does anyone think that we could be facing "restrictions" again in a more locked-down way? This has been something I've been pondering since the discussion about this new variant that I canny remember the name of. 

I've been thinking about this too, and I think the authorities have a bit of a dilemma.

On one hand, I think the authorities have a strong urge to remind the plebs that all their freedoms are now at the government's discretion.

On the other hand, I think a fair few of the animals on the UK tax farm are getting a bit restless, and may start to resist restrictions being imposed upon them.

Mask mandates are likely to just get ignored by a sizeable number of people, and the inclination of the people charged with the task of enforcing them seems to be dwindling.

We also have people's lived experience which is increasingly being drawn upon. Speaking personally, I haven't been vaccinated <gasp>, and yet somehow I have miraculously survived this horrifying catastrophic pandemic. I'm just not scared of this Coronavirus any more, even if you put a scary name on the latest flavour of it. Right now, the vaccine seems to me to be a far bigger threat than the virus itself. I might take the vaccine at some point in the future, when I'm convinced it's safe to take.

The bar for success of the vaccine has dropped remarkably and there doesn't seem to be any kind of reliable official source of vaccine-related information. It wasn't that long ago we were told that so long as enough people were vaccinated (double-jabbed, I think it was called), everything would be fine and we could go "back to normal". Herd-immunity was frequently mentioned, now, not so much.

A lot of you seem to be in areas with little demographic diversity. I'm not. I have friends with ethnicities from all over the world. I can tell you that while South-Asians have been very keen to get vaccinated, Africans have been pretty reluctant to take it, and one of my Somali friends in particular is insistent he would rather leave the country than be forced to take it. Amazingly enough, he still hasn't caught this highly-infectious, deadly virus, despite living in a very densely populated area with a low vaccine uptake. Good luck trying to lock down Birmingham's Somali community.

TL:DR Yes, but they may be very difficult to enforce.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Right now, the vaccine seems to me to be a far bigger threat than the virus itself.

Personal account - 2 doses of Astra-Zenica, and a booster of Pfizer. The only side effect experienced being achy biceps for about 12 hours after the booster, but I had my flu shot at the same time, so can't say which caused the sore muscles.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Personal account - 2 doses of Astra-Zenica, and a booster of Pfizer. The only side effect experienced being achy biceps for about 12 hours after the booster, but I had my flu shot at the same time, so can't say which caused the sore muscles.

Good to hear! 👍

Just to add my own experience, after taking the Pfizer one (first dose) I had a mildly sore arm and felt a wee bit shivery at worst. I haven't exploded, spontaneously combusted, or died. So that's something... :D

Listening to Kaye Adams show on BBC Scotland it is scary how the general public get ideas from crap they heard from Radio, TV and media generally but especially newspapers.  As the health professional keeps telling on this show and others.  Nobody knows what to expect yet or those that might know are not saying.  The guessing and exaggerating on transmissions, symptoms, degree of illness etc is helpful to nobody. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Fortunately most people seem to be fine after the vaccinations. My wife and I have each had 2 jabs and the booster plus flu jabs, and we have been OK. Unfortunately one of my cousins, a vet in her 50s, is not OK since having the jabs. She had some bad symptoms after the first vaccination and got worse after the second. She is suffering from Parsonage Turner Syndrome, and is no longer able to work normally. 

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/4228/parsonage-turner-syndrome

Parsonage Turner syndrome (PTS) is characterized by the sudden onset of shoulder and upper arm pain followed by progressive (worsening over time) weakness and/or atrophy of the affected area. The pain is felt along the path of one or more nerves and often has no obvious physical cause. The network of nerves involved in this syndrome is called the brachial plexus and it controls movement and sensation in the shoulders and arms. The cause is still unknown (idiopathic). However, researchers believe that most cases are due to an autoimmune response following exposure to an illness or environmental factor. Suspected triggers include viral and bacterial infections, surgery, vaccinations, injury, childbirth, strenuous exercise, certain medical procedures, and various health conditions. Treatment is symptomatic and may include pain relievers, corticosteroids and physical therapy.

The long-term outlook (prognosis) for people with Parsonage Turner syndrome varies. Some people may experience only a single episode of pain, and fully recover the strength and functionality of their shoulder. Others may have multiple episodes throughout their lives. It has been reported that approximately 80% of people recover within 2 years of the start of symptoms, and approximately 90% recover within 3 years. Traditionally, it was believed that most people would recover around 70-90% of their original strength and function level. However, more recent research suggests that long-term complications are more common than previously thought.

Parsonage Turner is a rare disease. Unlike Covid it is not potentially fatal, but it can be very nasty and have long term complications. In my opinion it is not a good enough reason not to get vaccinated, but I believe that people getting the vaccinations need to be aware that they are running this risk. For any individual the chances of it happening to them is very small, but if it does the consequences are likely to be devastating.  There seems to be a lot of public discussion about many aspects of the virus and the vaccinations, but I have not seen any reports or discussions of Parsonage Turner. The most that we seem to be hearing from the authorities is general statements that any bad effects from the vaccinations are not as bad as dying from Covid.

I am not anti-vax and would encourage anybody who is eligible to get the vaccinations, but be aware of the potential severity of any side effects, and spare a thought for the small number of people who have been badly affected.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I had my flu shot at the same time, so can't say which caused the sore muscles.

That's odd as I hear that when people are having both injections they normally do one in either arm so any problems can be narrowed down.

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

That's odd as I hear that when people are having both injections they normally do one in either arm so any problems can be narrowed down.

I didn't actually say before, but they were both in the same arm because I have a fistula in the other. What I did specifically say was "achy biceps for ~12 hours", meaning the symptom occurred in both arms.

Strictly speaking most of us have a biceps muscle in each arm: Is the Word 'Biceps' Plural or Singular? | Merriam-Webster

FWIW, which isn't much.

Looking forward to my booster on Wednesday afternoon.  Just wondering if I'll be at the gym 4 hours later or not.  Probably, knowing me.

I neither need nor want to read profanities like that.

The annual budget of the European CDC is 74 million, 6.5 billion on study alone sounds implausible.

• Groan 1