Bag in coolant.

32 minutes ago, MICKLEN3 said:

Hi, yes this quote is at our main Skoda dealer. The car is a 2017 and only has 30k on the clock. Cant see how this can take 6 hours to complete. How long did your take? and was that at main dealer? and what was the cost (if you don't mind me asking?)

Sorry I should of said why I asked age and if you go to main dealer. 
My advice would be to contact skoda uk direct. The bag issue is known and they will try and help, this I can’t fault skoda. 
my car was a 66 plate Diesel with around 46k miles. Like you I was shocked at the cost for the flush and on researchIng the issue I  found it relates back to this silica bag( again I believe to be a design fault).
After negotiations with Skoda direct I’ve received a large contribution to the egr valve and the flush. My quoted repairs were around £1240 To which skoda paid most of the bill. I Only paid total £340.

originally I felt let down by the dealer And brand but both worked to get my faith back . 
my flush was Originally quoted at just under £700, which I though was high however that turned out to be the cheapest quote I had. 
my car was at the dealer for 2 days. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wellsy1 said:

Sorry I should of said why I asked age and if you go to main dealer. 
My advice would be to contact skoda uk direct. The bag issue is known and they will try and help, this I can’t fault skoda. 
my car was a 66 plate Diesel with around 46k miles. Like you I was shocked at the cost for the flush and on researchIng the issue I  found it relates back to this silica bag( again I believe to be a design fault).
After negotiations with Skoda direct I’ve received a large contribution to the egr valve and the flush. My quoted repairs were around £1240 To which skoda paid most of the bill. I Only paid total £340.

originally I felt let down by the dealer And brand but both worked to get my faith back . 
my flush was Originally quoted at just under £700, which I though was high however that turned out to be the cheapest quote I had. 
my car was at the dealer for 2 days. Hope this helps. 

Hi Mate, cheers very helpful. Did you speak to Skoda UK direct? or email them laying out the problem (ie. put it in writing)? 

14 hours ago, MICKLEN3 said:

Hi Mate, cheers very helpful. Did you speak to Skoda UK direct? or email them laying out the problem (ie. put it in writing)? 

Hi , no problem. 
I just called them and they Opened a case for me.  They seem very helpful ( much better they I have found ford in the past) . Just explain your cars just out of warranty and low mileage. Also the fact this flush is only required because of a silica bag skoda fit . 
they called me with a offer also possibility your deal may also help towards cost .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. I have a 2020 Octavia 245 VRS. I have checked the coolant reservoir and it does not have the text on the outside warning about the silicone bag and appears to be single skin. I also cannot see a bag. I may have just answered my own question but can I assume from that I have nothing to worry about? 

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Quick question. I have a 2020 Octavia 245 VRS. I have checked the coolant reservoir and it does not have the text on the outside warning about the silicone bag and appears to be single skin. I also cannot see a bag. I may have just answered my own question but can I assume from that I have nothing to worry about? 

Just remember to change the coolant every 5 years or 60,000 miles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ords said:

Just remember to change the coolant every 5 years or 60,000 miles.

No problem with that at all just relieved if it sounds like I haven't got one of these silicone bags floating around in the reservoir 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pods said:

I think you'll be alright. I don't think they continued with this 'design flaw' up to 2020.

Hi all, 

sorry late reply . It does look like vw have change the design . My car has just been repaired by main dealer and the new replacement reservoir doesn’t have a bag. 

13 hours ago, Noms said:

I think you'll be alright. I don't think they continued with this 'design flaw' up to 2020.

Cheers Noms I was wondering if it was something they may have changed if it was causing issues

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 12:09, Pods said:

Cheers Noms I was wondering if it was something they may have changed if it was causing issues

I think you are right, my car as just been repaired At dealer for the issue and part of the repair they change the reservoir. the new one doesn’t come with a bag . 🧐

On 25/02/2021 at 22:11, cheezemonkhai said:

That was used in a tt I think and they can be replaced too. You could buy the parts to change the two cylinders.

It’s not new, but old, possibly the original design.

They were also using this type in 2010.... changed my mates cambelt and water-pump on his Audi S3 last week and these fell out the empty expansion tank. 

4DFBCC5A-8CE3-4E84-8586-88CD1360FCBF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jars said:

They were also using this type in 2010.... changed my mates cambelt and water-pump on his Audi S3 last week and these fell out the empty expansion tank. 

At least they look more robust than the bags... Maybe the bag design was a cost saving exercise for manufacturer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jars said:

That’s the ones.

The design I saw there was a plastic semicircular pair of clips for each of the cylinders on the bottom of the tank.

On 29/03/2021 at 14:00, Noms said:

"Not enough issues to warrant a recall"? That's a joke!

This issue exists across VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat, and they say there are not enough issues. Such nonsense.

HERE HERE! Also the Timing belt issues where the incorrect mix of tensioner , belt etc cause premature failure and again NO RECALL. This is the last Skoda /VW/AUDI i or my wife will buy .. I have owned Audi.VAG Skoda for 40 years and NEVER again! Because of their lying , failure to recall and refusal to honour warranty .  We have both had silicate issues and my wife also timing belt issue with her TDi both VrS 2017 and 18! Pathetic .. Nice cars f**ed by poor parts worth pennies but causing 1K£ damage ....

• 2 weeks later...

Went silica-bagless yesterday. Original tank was with G in the end and bag was inside walls (=impossible to take it out from fill hole).

After 4 years and 100k km bag looks in good condition.

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2021 at 08:04, indars said:

Went silica-bagless yesterday. Original tank was with G in the end and bag was inside walls (=impossible to take it out from fill hole).

After 4 years and 100k km bag looks in good condition.

IMG_5436.JPG

This is really helpful, as I think I have a similar set-up where you can't just fish the bag out with your fingers like the videos suggest.

I wonder how robust this bag actually is, when clamped in that position?

Screenshot_20210616-212542_Gallery.jpg

20210616_211222_resized.jpg

18 hours ago, EnterName said:

This is really helpful, as I think I have a similar set-up where you can't just fish the bag out with your fingers like the videos suggest.

This image is exactly like my parents Octavia - you need someone with slender fingers or a pliers that isn't too sharp to get a hold of it and pull it out carefully. The alternative is to take out the tank and then fish it out manually without any fear of it contaminating the system.

My own one was the double sealed wall so you could not see it inside the tank without cutting it out. I replaced the tank completely and sold the older one.

Yes, take the tank out (5 min job) and then you can be as rough as you like with needle nose pliers butchering the bag until you get it. Give it a rinse under the tap if the bag splits before re-fitting the tank. I wouldn't risk fishing it out in situ in case you split it. It wouldn't take much of the granules to block a heater matrix I wouldn't have thought.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

Yes, take the tank out (5 min job) and then you can be as rough as you like with needle nose pliers butchering the bag until you get it. Give it a rinse under the tap if the bag splits before re-fitting the tank. I wouldn't risk fishing it out in situ in case you split it. It wouldn't take much of the granules to block a heater matrix I wouldn't have thought.

I attempted to remove the silica bag last weekend and quickly reached this conclusion. Having watching a video as well, there is no way I’d be risking fixing the bag out the filler opening. Especially when you don’t know the state of the bag. If it’s already started to split slightly, forcing it through is only going to end one way.  I’ll be removing the header tank instead. 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 21:31, EnterName said:

20210616_211222_resized.jpg

That's exactly how mine was; we managed to fish it out. You need to push it slightly first, to get it out of it's 'home'. Once it's scot free, it becomes much easier to fish out. The bags are quite robust; you wouldn't damage it if it hasn't split already.

15 hours ago, Noms said:

That's exactly how mine was; we managed to fish it out. You need to push it slightly first, to get it out of it's 'home'. Once it's scot free, it becomes much easier to fish out. The bags are quite robust; you wouldn't damage it if it hasn't split already.

Push sideways out of the clasp?

On 17/06/2021 at 21:12, NikTheGeek said:

This seems to be the easiest and least-risk option.

5 hours ago, EnterName said:

Push sideways out of the clasp?

Yes, it’ll be fitted in quite tightly as the bag ‘moulds’ itself (like a bean bag). But easily pushed out of its home and then fished out. I was really nervous as I have fat fingers, but perseverance helped me and I got it out. I used fingers only, no needle nose pliers or anything else. 

Edited by Noms
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Noms said:

Yes, it’ll be fitted in quite tightly as the bag ‘moulds’ itself (like a bean bag). But easily pushed out of its home and then fished out. I was really nervous as I have fat fingers, but perseverance helped me and I got it out. I used fingers only, no needle nose pliers or anything else. 

You have piqued my interest. Did you do this with the expansion tank drained or full?