Do all mk3 2.0tdi use adblue

I assumed all 2.0tdi 150 used adblue and meet EU6 standard

I have now read that MY 16/17 are not using adblue but still meet EU6? Is this correct?  If they meet the same standard and lower tax, why adblue? 

Do newer models have lower Emissions?  Does the adblue effect mpg (there is an extra cost for adblue). Any reliability issues with adblue, and or benefits/issues with dpf of addblue/without? 

Edited by Jase_31

My 2020 Superb 150PS Evo diesel uses Adblue before both catalysts and this reduces nitrogen oxide by 80% compared to the 2019 model. I have averaged 61mpg so far in nearly 3 months and 1,500 miles of ownership so far so economy is strong and official co2 is 103gm/km with the 7 speed DSG box.

I seem to recollect that the earlier models didn't initially have Adblue but can't be 100% sure.

If you get a car with it then you can't run without it - you get plenty of impending doom refill warnings prior to that though.

I wonder is it has any effect on DPF regeneration though.

The SCR is injected AFTER the DPF to reduce emissions. However  I believe the engine can run with less EGR when it has adblue fitted, as it isnt reliant on high EGR to control the emissions alone.

How this affects regen, or dpf life I dont know?

I also have a 2016 2.0 150bhp SEL and spent a long time lookng for the Adblue filler as per the instructions when I first collected it from Motorpoint - until I realised it hasn't got one. Car seems happy enough (as do I) without and the £35 p.a. RFL

18 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

No

My last one (April 2017 registered 150 Tdi) did not.

This one (September 2020 150 Tdi ) does.

Any noticeable differences in performance? Economy, or DFP regen cycles? Are they manuals or DSG (DSG would have a different box)

On 01/01/2021 at 16:35, Jase_31 said:

I wonder is it has any effect on DPF regeneration though.

The SCR is injected AFTER the DPF to reduce emissions. However  I believe the engine can run with less EGR when it has adblue fitted, as it isnt reliant on high EGR to control the emissions alone.

How this affects regen, or dpf life I dont know?

To answer my own question.  This article is useful

https://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-management/article/21666958/scr-or-egr

All these folk who think it's a blessing to not have adblu should probably read the link the OP posted above. 

Things like this: 

SCR advantages:

• Permits more optimized combustion
  • Can enable better fuel efficiency/power
  • No concerns about engine durability/oil degradation

On 05/01/2021 at 09:10, Jase_31 said:

Any noticeable differences in performance? Economy, or DFP regen cycles? Are they manuals or DSG (DSG would have a different box)

Not noticed but the mileage I am doing it will never get run in!

Only used 2 1/2 tanks since new and I used to put that in each month!

3 hours ago, Wino said:

All these folk who think it's a blessing to not have adblu should probably read the link the OP posted above. 

Things like this: 

SCR advantages:

• Permits more optimized combustion
  • Can enable better fuel efficiency/power
  • No concerns about engine durability/oil degradation

Also, cars with SCR need less EGR - which produces less particulate matter, hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide - 

i.e less particles for the DFP to have to deal with.

The cost of Adblue, should be offset by less diesel used for regen. 

• 3 weeks later...