Virtual Cockpit Retrofit with Columbus and Canton

On 17/03/2021 at 07:53, Chetnik73 said:

Ok managed to get my mib2.5, 9.2 screen and VC retrofitted. Pretty happy but a couple of questions for those that did theirs

1) i cannot see a setting on my infotainment unit where i can personalise the screens. I just have the defaults via the steering wheel. Is their some coding or adaption that needs to occur here to enable?

2) Is there meant to be such a large gap in the trim above the infotainment unit and the trim? Or do i need another part?

IMG-20210317-WA0025_compress16.thumb.jpg.8c660b69713eb8a935dd2cdb6b712f00.jpg

IMG_20210317_183356_compress73.jpg

IMG_20210317_183400_compress19.jpg

which part number is your screen?

2 hours ago, Chetnik73 said:

Are they all the same? I wonder are the aliexpress ones as good quality or same original parts as from anywhere else? 

The unit is excellent quality and fits exactly. I could not see any difference in it and the original manual cluster in terms of quality that it replaced. I'm guessing these are OEM and that was the best price i could find. 

I fix one thing and another rears its head.

After installing the mib2 and retrofitting vc, i have a new problem.

I can't switch between modes on my adaptive chassis control. I press the button and nothing displays.

I'm not sure if this was wiped as part of OBDELEVEN scan but my sunroof settings were.

Does anybody know the coding i need to do to fix this?

So I've been assembling a list of parts for the retrofit, while looking for the multifunction steering wheel buttons to make sure I had a 'view' button, I managed to find a £600 steering wheel (the flat-bottom dsg version that's heated , and including the multifunction buttons with 'view') on ebay, at eur130. offered eur100 and got it!!

after paying the post-brexit 20% duty, after currency conversion that's £103. I would have had to pay around £70 just for the view button! happy days :) 

so now I get a heated wheel retrofit while I'm at it!

Edited by AlVal

The frustration levels keep rising with my retrofit. Some issues below

1) For some reason i cannot see all the different types of displays on my vc. Ive got 4 displays i can choose from but am missing the single speedometer in the picture below

2) I cannot view the NAV on my VC despite correctly installing the MOST splitter and coding as per earlier post in this thread

3) I do not have the screen on my infotainment unit which allows me to personalise the vc displays

I've reached out to some of the members here and they say it might be a CAN gateway issue or a BCIM issue (or both) as my car is a 2016 model (build late 2015)

I've posted my scan if anybody can see what I'm doing wrong or definitively tell me which additional part(s) or coding i need. It's not a showstopper but I've got this far so would like it all to work properly

Changing the gateway doesn't seem too difficult but the BCIM looks a pain in the ****. Need to know if i need to change both or just one for the items above

Thanks in advance

images - 2021-03-25T104306.510.jpeg

history.txt

5 minutes ago, Chetnik73 said:

1) For some reason i cannot see all the different types of displays on my vc. Ive got 4 displays i can choose from but am missing the single speedometer in the picture below

2) I cannot view the NAV on my VC despite correctly installing the MOST splitter and coding as per earlier post in this thread

3) I do not have the screen on my infotainment unit which allows me to personalise the vc displays

1) Try changing MAS03685-Digital speedometer to on or 1

2/3) - Is your headunit a MIB2 or MIB2.5? Can you post the adaption channels for the headunit, I think OBDeleven can do this as a 'backup'?

I only have a MY18 to go on which had the correct CAN gateway, MIB2.5 and BCM from factory :)

I have the mib2.5 and 9.2 buttonless infotainment unit which are both retrofitted.

If you check the earliest post i have a file called history.txt which is all my scan and adaption history

This is a pic of my setup

IMG_20210320_190840_compress79.jpg

When I added a VC to my car, these are the notes I made:

Address 5F  5Q0 035 874 C
    channel ENG122227-ENG142087-Car_Function_adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_Display_Configuration        adapted from    not activated   to  activated 
    channel ENG122227-ENG142089-Car_Function_adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_Display_Configuration_over_threshold_high        adapted from    not activated   to  activated 
    channel IDE11524-ENG137043-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-display_configuration_0x45       adapted from    not activated   to  activated 
    channel IDE11524-ENG137044-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-display_configuration_0x45_msg_bus       adapted from    not activated   to  Databus Infotainment 
    channel ENG122230-ENG142097-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps adapted from    OFF     to  On 
    channel ENG122230-ENG122343-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-call_picture    adapted from    OFF     to  On 
    channel ENG122230-ENG122341-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-coverart    adapted from    OFF     to  On 
    channel ENG122230-ENG122342-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-stationart  adapted from    OFF     to  On 
    channel ENG122230-ENG122338-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_compression_mode adapted from    RLE     to  H264 
    channel ENG122230-ENG122339-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_resolution   adapted from    resolution_1    to  resolution_3 
    channel ENG122230-ENG127005-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_transmission_mode    adapted from    OFF     to  MOST_streaming 

5F Coding:
- Byte 19, Bit 5, Ticked   - MOST Enabled
- Byte 22, Bit 0, Unticked - Dashboard via MOST/CAN

17 Coding:
- Byte  0, Bit 1, Unticked - ??
- Byte 10, bit 3, Unticked - ??

As you have a Columbus, I think these need to be different:

- channel ENG122230-ENG142097-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps    off
- channel ENG122230-ENG127501-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-fastlist_most              on

Personally, I find the history file a big confusing to navigate given the number of changes/scans it seems to contain. Might be as I'm used to VCDS which makes this stuff much clearer with a date stamped autoscan + adaption map.

Oh, the entire file is backwards, so the top is the latest? Great plan :D

Rewrites post...

I think the oldest/original codings were:

- 17 >> 27A5091A7F80000801886A0B5001000000000000

- 5F >> 038402080000000011510002000908002F0000E601200100DE

So I'd try:

- 17 >> 25A5091A7F8000080188620B5001000000000000

- 5F >> 038402080000000011510002000908002F0000E601200000DE

I'll let you go through the adaption channels as it looks like you just changed a load back to the default values.

• 1 month later...

How do you set the mileage when you buy a new virtual cockpit? This is the most important thing because I must set it before I drive the car while it is still 0. How do I set it to the same mileage that was on my old instruments? 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Svenk

May I ask how had you wait for delivery?

Retrofitting in an european spec car was without any problem?

I also consider buying this 3VD module from Vagexpress...

• 7 months later...
On 21/03/2021 at 12:22, AlVal said:

So I've been assembling a list of parts for the retrofit, while looking for the multifunction steering wheel buttons to make sure I had a 'view' button, I managed to find a £600 steering wheel (the flat-bottom dsg version that's heated , and including the multifunction buttons with 'view') on ebay, at eur130. offered eur100 and got it!!

after paying the post-brexit 20% duty, after currency conversion that's £103. I would have had to pay around £70 just for the view button! happy days :) 

so now I get a heated wheel retrofit while I'm at it!

On 17/05/2021 at 19:30, AlVal said:

How do you set the mileage when you buy a new virtual cockpit? This is the most important thing because I must set it before I drive the car while it is still 0. How do I set it to the same mileage that was on my old instruments? 

Hi Alval,

I wonder if you sorted the mileage setting /coding from your old speedometer to the new speedometer?

if so could you please tell me what to do or what tool to use in order to enter the same mileage from old Speedo to the virtual one? 
Regards 

Anthony 

2 hours ago, mazzy960 said:

Hi Alval,

I wonder if you sorted the mileage setting /coding from your old speedometer to the new speedometer?

if so could you please tell me what to do or what tool to use in order to enter the same mileage from old Speedo to the virtual one? 
Regards 

Anthony 

It must be done with ODIS, when you remove component protection and run the module replacement procedure it will copy the mileage from the old cluster to the brand new one.

that is of course if you’re using a new cluster 

Good morning AlVal,

what do you mean by saying the after r the removal of component protection; 

is it something we need to remove behind the virtual cockpit? Or inside the virtual cockpit? 
So, I believe that only virgin (new) virtual clusters can be reprogrammed? 
Let us say we found a second hand cheap one with much lower mileage? Can we remove the mileage on the second hand virtual cockpit and reprogram it?

I would be much appreciated if you give a bit more explanation on this? 
Regards 

There are a number of things that need programming after a cluster swap:

- component protection (this is the Skoda/VW anti-theft solution)

- immobiliser to allow the engine to start

- odometer to keep it correct

- coding/adaptions to match how your car is configured

ODIS is the Skoda/VW factory software that's normally used to program all the above during a cluster swap. Pretty sure both new and used clusters are fine.

The only issue is ODIS can only set the odometer if it's a 'new' cluster, this roughly translates as less then 100km if I remember correctly. If it's above this, you'll need 3rd party tools to change the odometer. For example, when I retrofitted my VC, I bought a tool that increased the mileage at ~4000 miles per day. This is fine for smaller increases but obviously not be great for larger corrections.

Other points:

- generally speaking, it's not possible to reduce the mileage

- I believe there is one company that can reset the mileage to allow ODIS to set a new one, I don't have any further details on who or the pricing

- I've also heard rumours that ODIS may refuse to code a cluster marked as stolen so be careful when sourcing second hand items

Hi Langers2K,

Thanks very much for your clear explanation about the swap of ordinary digital speedometer with the virtual one.

one point grabbed my attention in your explanation; how come you used a tool that increased your speedometer usage ~4000 miles per day?

This is rather abnormal? I don’t know which tool you used and this mistake?

I will definitely try to buy a virgin virtual speedometer (cluster) but it might be the case that I might find a second hand one assuming that it has got either higher or lesser mileage on it?

All I wanted to know if I go for the second hand genuine virtual cluster; was there a possibility to change the mileage on the second hand one?

But it appears that; (according what you told me I need to find a third party authorised mileage correcting technician which might cause higher cost rather than saving little bit on the second hand virtual cluster? Now I know that it is better to go for a new virtual cluster as the second hand one is a bit difficult to adjust the previous mileage on it? 
I have seen links posted here to buy the cluster about €633 but it looks like it has been manufactured in China rather than Czech Republic where the Skoda cars are manufactured?

That was all? I am not sure if the Chinese made ones are equivalent of the original Czech Republic manufactured virtual cluster? 
I really appreciate that there are so many Experienced users/members of this website 

who are willing to help to the newbies like myself? 
I am also intending to get a rear view camera fitted as well as finding out if there us a possibility to unlocking the usb connected CarPlay into wireless CarPlay gif iPhone connection.

now;

1) According to the VW-retrofitting technicians/engineers my Skoda superb is not compatible with the water spray house connection? Or at least that is what I was told by the eBay seller/retrofitter called VW-retrofitter? I am still willing to get it fitted without water spray house connected as the previous vehicles don’t have this water spray cleaning option and they are fine; as this was the case with my 2012 Bmw 320d.

2) also searching if three is way of activating the wireless option of CarPlay this might be an option can only be provided by the main dealer? 
this is again an assumption? 
might any other third party can do this (providing that it is possible? Or the only option is the main dealers? 
once again I do thank everybody who are trying to help me with these retrofittings as my Skoda superb is 68 reg Estate version and sometimes my wife will be driving it and for her she says it is a very long car and having a camera retrofitting will help her to park the car without hitting the rear bumpers into a normal car size parking bay? 
I am so happy that the Briskoda members much more helpful than the Audi.net member of which I was a member of the Audi.net? 
mince again thanks very much to all but especially for those members who are trying to help me with my intended retrofittings! 
Regards 

Anthony 

@mazzy960 He used the tool as either his new cluster was locked after ~100km, or he fitted a second hand one with less than his current mileage.  So he needed to increase it upwards to match existing.

Sometimes this is the best way for the job in hand if you cannot get software to write value's into it.

• Thanks 1

one point grabbed my attention in your explanation; how come you used a tool that increased your speedometer usage ~4000 miles per day?

I fitted a 'new' cluster and had it programmed but it had a backlight fault so I had to remove it for repairing. When it came to refitting, I need to increase the mileage to account for the time when it had been removed.

The software I used was: https://mhhauto.com/Thread-MQB-VAG-Virtual-cockpit-Editor-EXTENDED-VERSION although it was cheaper when I bought it.

If you do need the mileage increasing, I'm happy to help as per this post: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/489327-mqb-instrument-cluster-odometermileage-increase-service/

All I wanted to know if I go for the second hand genuine virtual cluster; was there a possibility to change the mileage on the second hand one?

Yes, up is easy but possibly time consuming. As mentioned before, I've heard rumours there is a down solution but I've no first hand experience.

I have seen links posted here to buy the cluster about €633 but it looks like it has been manufactured in China rather than Czech Republic where the Skoda cars are manufactured?

I expect it's fine but I'm no expert on VC. Most my experience comes from retrofitting the one in my Octavia. I've certainly used Aliexpress to buy various other modules without problem in the past.

According to the VW-retrofitting technicians/engineers my Skoda superb is not compatible with the water spray house connection? Or at least that is what I was told by the eBay seller/retrofitter called VW-retrofitter? I am still willing to get it fitted without water spray house connected as the previous vehicles don’t have this water spray cleaning option and they are fine 

If you currently have a rear washer jet, you just need to T into the existing pipework. Not sure where the washer jet is on a Superb so you may need to replace the pipe for a longer one.

also searching if three is way of activating the wireless option of CarPlay this might be an option can only be provided by the main dealer? 

On a 2019 Superb, there is no wireless Carplay option. If you already have Carplay, there are a number of 3rd party adaptors that connect to the cars USB socket to add wireless Carplay or Android Auto. I've never used any so I don't have any recommendations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all and sorry for ask you probably a "stupid" question.

I have a Skoda Superb III Estate (3V5) - 2.0 TDI with analogical cockpit (part number: 3V0 920 751 E).

I have Columbus.

I would like to install a Virtual cockpit, but reading about your experiences, it seems not a "plug in" operation. Is this correct?

Which code should I buy? I found on internet several options.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.  

49 minutes ago, FDB said:

Hi all and sorry for ask you probably a "stupid" question.

I have a Skoda Superb III Estate (3V5) - 2.0 TDI with analogical cockpit (part number: 3V0 920 751 E).

I have Columbus.

I would like to install a Virtual cockpit, but reading about your experiences, it seems not a "plug in" operation. Is this correct?

Which code should I buy? I found on internet several options.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.  

None of this is plug and play. 

You will need the main dealer software ODIS which costs thousands of pounds or know someone or a dealer that is willing to do component protection and immobiliser reset in their car park. 

If you put your location on your profile it will assist us with directing you to possible people that can do it. 

After that the rest can be done with something like VCDS, im sure other software works too but ive not personally used it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Thanks for replying and assisting me with this task/little project. 

I will check my Kroger and make my location visible if I can. 
sorry as you can see from my bases I am a newbie here in this forum and don’t have much knowledge about these car electronics? 
Regards  

• 10 months later...
On 14/03/2021 at 14:25, Chetnik73 said:

Does anybody know how to connect the MOST cable to both the VC and CANTON?

i have the orange MOST as per below. If i connect it to the MIB2.5 it leaves 1 female and 1 male connection. 

Problem is that both the CANTON and VC MOST cable will only accept male.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

IMG_20210314_131633.jpg

IMG_20210314_125255.jpg

IMG_20210314_140720.jpg

Did you manage to get this working? I bought a connector with 1 male and 2 females and my audio isnt working at all...not sure if the splitter itself is faulty..i can see optic light and no issues with that but audio isnt working.