Delivery times?

Seeing the other posts here is making me feel a bit down to be honest, but I will stay the course even if I don't see the new car until 2022. If I had been told by my dealer about the issues back in April when I ordered I probably would have held off, but having waited so long it seems pointless to cancel now.

I wasn't aware of any software issues with the Mk IV, certainly not seen anything in the UK press or on U Tube about this. I was aware that the very early cars had to have the software package wiped and reinstalled at the factory but this appeared to be a First Edition problem which a model year 2022 car should not have. (Model year 2022 started at the end of June 2021 according to my research).

I have been following this topic for several months now. One thing is unclear to me, from what I could read, Skoda is on average producing one third less vehicles than when everything was fine. By that logic, the delivery deadlines should have been extended by one third time, and according to this, it turns out that the delivery deadlines have tripled. I really don't understand anything anymore

Production is not being completed on the 1/3rd so it is not 1/3rd of the usual production numbers being delivered to customers.

Oddly Skoda seem very pleased with how many cars they delivered in the first half of 2021.

Were there vehicles already produced pre 2021 that assisted in that?

https://skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/strong-first-half-of-the-year-skoda-auto-significantly-increases-operating-profit-and-revenue

Maybe they are doing so well that customers and low first registrations are not a concern as long as the average emissions is low enough to not have financial penalties imposed.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I had an email this evening from my dealer to advise the build date of my vRS estate has slipped by 5 weeks.  I didn't actually bother asking for a build date as they were going to hold the car until December for me.  I ordered it in May so hopefully it'll still turn up towards the end of the year.  If not i don't mind as long as its here by Q1 2022 at the latest.

5 minutes ago, liveseytowers said:

I had an email this evening from my dealer to advise the build date of my vRS estate has slipped by 5 weeks.  I didn't actually bother asking for a build date as they were going to hold the car until December for me.  I ordered it in May so hopefully it'll still turn up towards the end of the year.  If not i don't mind as long as its here by Q1 2022 at the latest.

When in May did you order it?i ordered mine 20 may and two weeks ago skoda uk put my delivery date back to 5 November 21

3 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

When in May did you order it?i ordered mine 20 may and two weeks ago skoda uk put my delivery date back to 5 November 21

It was the 11th May and my quoted delivery date was 30th December on the order form, but i think that is just typed in before the order was confirmed etc.

1 hour ago, Joss1733 said:

Wonder what the difference is between 2021 model and a 2022 model Octavia?

MY22 spec is captured in the latest downloadable brochure. They dropped some colours, changed some wheel options and made a couple of minor spec changes from the MY21 model.

Biggest change for me (VRS) was removal of meteor grey, making all standard metallic colours FoC and adding virtual pedal to standard spec.

15 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

Dave where did you find the downloadable brochure?cheers

See August spec brochure which includes the above mentioned changes.  Only update I can find to this is the change of quartz grey is being replaced with graphite grey 

SKODA_OCTAVIA_Brochure_AUG_21 (1).pdf

Edited by Kingelk
Wrong attachment

I ordered my Octavia end of July from the dealer. I got a confirmation from Skoda that order received 18/08. I don't have a confirmed build week but Skoda web chat advised that it is expected week 18 of 2022-which is roughly end of April / early May- although the build date may come forward when confirmed.

On 31/08/2021 at 20:38, Dave2912 said:

MY22 spec is captured in the latest downloadable brochure. They dropped some colours, changed some wheel options and made a couple of minor spec changes from the MY21 model.

Biggest change for me (VRS) was removal of meteor grey, making all standard metallic colours FoC and adding virtual pedal to standard spec.

Hope that this is added to the cars that have been delayed by these parts shortages. I ordered july 12th and have just yesterday been given a week 44 build date, was originally quoted estimate october delivery when i ordered, not too bothered about waiting as this is the first new car ive ever bought to my own spec. Always settled for nearly new and used in the past and had to settle for less spec then i wanted. hopefully the niggling issues in the early cars might have fixes worked out by then too.

Nine months now seems about right for the whole process.  From my point of view, with my car built week ending 13 August 2021 further research has indicated that supplying this with the computer chips to go in the control module could take up to four months.

This is very speculative and it could be done any when from now until about December based on the number of cars my dealer has had supplied in the last month.

Research I have done on line points to a number of factors for this, such as current wafer production (750,000 per month),  number of chips required for a modern car (approx 1400) and issues with building these chips into the boards which are then manufactured in to the control units for all car makers. 

It seems that Skoda are getting about 500 control units a month for cars coming to the UK, but I must stress that this is NOT a figure backed up by any online data, I assume because the car makers are very unwilling to publish quite how bad the situation is.  What has been in the main stream press towards the end of this week is that a number of American manufacturers such as GM are shutting plants down until they can assure supply of control units.  Granted that they make a lot more cars than Skoda and Skoda press releases are upbeat about their semi conductor supplies. According to them supply is low but increasing, but they would not put any figures on this.

I am honestly not sure if its better to have a very long wait for a car which will at least come straight from the factory when it is built, or have up to a four month wait to collect a car that has been out in the open waiting for the control unit. 

I just spoke to customer services earlier today. I placed my order at the end of July and was told today that it was booked to go into build at the beginning of October. I did ask if they were feeding back a 2022 delivery date to anyone at the moment, I was not given a specific answer to that question, only that build is normally 2 weeks but could take up to 8 weeks. I was also told that the situation is changing and to call back in a couple of weeks. The lady was very apologetic that she couldn't be more precise and didn't want to lie about the date.

I think there is lots of speculation and lots of variables, only 2 things are certain

1. until a car goes into build nothing is certain
  2. when the car is in build nothing is certain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottieJ said:

I think there is lots of speculation and lots of variables, only 2 things are certain

1. until a car goes into build nothing is certain
  2. when the car is in build nothing is certain

I placed my order of a vRS TSI in Lithuania at the beginning of May and the dealer said 5-6 months so that would put it somewhere at the end of October, but I just spoke to him recently and he pretty much said he can't promise anything anymore. I think the most recent chip factory fire destroyed all hope for VAG to fill their backlog of orders. 

Edited by zetzet

the chip factory fire stopped production of the chips ,in which caused a major delay in production of these vital components.the other day a post said it was back in production.at less production volume but let all of us hope things are starting to improve in delivery dates.

On Radio 4 the other morning an Industry expert said that as Covid hit and the Motor Industry was facing down time they let suppliers eat dirt and while covid hit the home entertainment and technology manufacturers ramped up manufacturing and bought what they could at the price they had to pay.

There was a fire, but the likes of the biggest car manufacturer in the world were taking the Michael and thought they were top dog and could just get to the head of the list with suppliers as they have done for decades.

Well they have learned the hard way like others that he who pays the pipers need to pay the proper price and there is a 'Back order' waiting time.

http://carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/global-chip-shortage

Customers might be peed off but Skoda seem to have done OK in the past 6 months.

http://skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/strong-first-half-of-the-year-skoda-auto-significantly-increases-operating-profit-and-revenue

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 08.20.00.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Just ordered a vRS petrol manual estate (I've been exact with spec) and was given March 2020 as an ETA, so was aware there was going to be a wait. To be fair, I'm not too fussed - I get a bit more time to save up more deposit and the longer it's in production, the more opportunity for the manufacturer to sort the little faults. I never buy a car in its first year of production and with COVID, I'm happy to push that out.

11 minutes ago, OverTheHill said:

Just ordered a vRS petrol manual estate (I've been exact with spec) and was given March 2020 as an ETA, so was aware there was going to be a wait. To be fair, I'm not too fussed - I get a bit more time to save up more deposit and the longer it's in production, the more opportunity for the manufacturer to sort the little faults. I never buy a car in its first year of production and with COVID, I'm happy to push that out.

Thats a long ETA (if its march 2022 :)). Why didnt you just postpone the order? There might be better(/or worse) options later.

Just now, timster said:

Thats a long ETA (if its march 2022 :)). Why didnt you just postpone the order? There might be better(/or worse) options later.

Ooops! Yep was 2022 🙂

I've been pondering an update on and off for most of 2021, so the timing was more a reaction to wait times than the desire to get something new soon. I was figuring on getting a new car early 2022, so thought I'd best order in the autumn. Ironically, I actually pulled my order time forward from my original plan of November having read typical lead-times!

I guess there could always be changes to spec, but in the current climate, I decided you just need to make a call...  I'm happy with the spec and about the only thing I would have liked was leather seats (kids > leather > wipe-clean).

I've just seen all my offers on CarWow and WhatCar withdrawn, and can't request quotes on new cars. One dealership I was in touch with said "Due to the factory lead times being extended because of the worldwide shortage of processing chips, We are going to remove our discount levels."

Yikes. Getting a deal on a new one might be a bit more tricky now. My PCP runs out in February, at this point I'm tempted to finance the balloon payment then and wait for things to calm down a bit.

Of course the residuals in my current vehicle are pretty strong due to 2nd hand market at the moment. So that's a factor too.

3 hours ago, OverTheHill said:

Ooops! Yep was 2022 🙂

I've been pondering an update on and off for most of 2021, so the timing was more a reaction to wait times than the desire to get something new soon. I was figuring on getting a new car early 2022, so thought I'd best order in the autumn. Ironically, I actually pulled my order time forward from my original plan of November having read typical lead-times!

I guess there could always be changes to spec, but in the current climate, I decided you just need to make a call...  I'm happy with the spec and about the only thing I would have liked was leather seats (kids > leather > wipe-clean).

Yeah. I was also planning on changing on Q1 but skoda had an offer for free maintenance for 3 years. That works as an extended warranty since we only get 2 years as standard. 

Anyway, was not even going for Skoda. Was about to just get a third Golf, but they really spoiled the MK8 golf and all the things i missed in mk8 was in octavia.