Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

Afternoon folks, another small issue I'm facing. I've never been able to set my doors right on Canbus, however recently when I've gone in to try and play about with the settings, after pressing to get into the canbus options, it tells me the app isn't installed' and doesn't let me continue. 

Anyone had this. Tried to video it but file too big, even for a 2 second vid. 

On 12/12/2021 at 20:04, wagster said:

I will take a look at it tomorrow. I have mine set to auto launch using the Agama auto start.

Just out of interest do you have start/stop in your car and does the head unit turnoff any sound when the car engine starts on start/stop or when you start the car on ignition as mine does,  it is not like the head unit is turning itself off and then restarting it just basically mutes any music, videos etc.

Wagster, did you find a solution to this, apart from switching off Stop Start

21 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

Afternoon folks, another small issue I'm facing. I've never been able to set my doors right on Canbus, however recently when I've gone in to try and play about with the settings, after pressing to get into the canbus options, it tells me the app isn't installed' and doesn't let me continue. 

At times, factory reset is the answer... have you updated the unit and the MCU?

4 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

At times, factory reset is the answer... have you updated the unit and the MCU?

Tried updating the MCU but it just shows that it's starting but then sticks. 

Tried a factory reset today, but wouldn't accept the pin. 

2 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

Tried updating the MCU but it just shows that it's starting but then sticks. 

Tried a factory reset today, but wouldn't accept the pin. 

Pin for factory reset should be 7890 did you try this one?

You can also reset from the Android settings. Backup your android auto app first 

Edited by nickytheshaft

Just to say thanks Fubar for starting this thread and all the other contributors. It has been a good source of information and allowed me avoid a few issues. A few months ago i splashed out and bought a 8 core , android 11 4+64gb version from aliexpress

Mekede M500s (7862) -although looks like they have update the spec since i bought mine. Looks exactly like Fubars unit.

All good so far no issues with radio , DAB+ or Sat nav and android auto ( feel quite lucky), but i have one main issue that i am still trying to resolve with mekede - the individual driving mode.

Specifically not being able to set the individual options. I can select all the modes , but not the individual driving mode options. It's something i did on the OEM unit.

Has anybody got this issue or has found a way to get it working ?

I have tried software updates , can bus update and a newer can bus module and no joy. My steering wheel has not buttons unfortunately.

Any ideas ? cheers.

9 minutes ago, Imgouki said:

Just to say thanks Fubar for starting this thread and all the other contributors. It has been a good source of information and allowed me avoid a few issues. A few months ago i splashed out and bought a 8 core , android 11 4+64gb version from aliexpress

Mekede M500s (7862) -although looks like they have update the spec since i bought mine. Looks exactly like Fubars unit.

All good so far no issues with radio , DAB+ or Sat nav and android auto ( feel quite lucky), but i have one main issue that i am still trying to resolve with mekede - the individual driving mode.

Specifically not being able to set the individual options. I can select all the modes , but not the individual driving mode options. It's something i did on the OEM unit.

Has anybody got this issue or has found a way to get it working ?

I have tried software updates , can bus update and a newer can bus module and no joy. My steering wheel has not buttons unfortunately.

Any ideas ? cheers.

Yes I hade the same issue but never found a way around. My guess would be to put the stock unit back and set individual as you like. You don't have to put the harness back in the glove box. Juste remove the Android unit and connect everything from the front.

I kind of had a feeling that would the case. I have been corresponding with mekede , sent video's and such of the issue. But i don't think they will have an answer. I did investigate

https://www.dynavin.de/en/products/carhifi/navigation-systems-for-car-hifi/navigation-sytem-7-flex-skoda-octavia-3/

which was going to be my 1st choice , but then realised you have to pay after a free trail for android auto and google play an extra £130. I can understand paying extra for their igo nav software ....but why would yoou when you can use google maps and waze etc etc/

The other option was:-

https://www.dynavin.de/en/products/carhifi/navigation-systems-for-car-hifi/navigation-sytem-7-pro-skoda-octavia-3/

The pro version with everything included but at three times price of our units and its using Android as its OS. Have to say it does look like a nice product. But the prices seem very high compared to everything else.

If i get any luck from Mekede i'll post an update.

21 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Pin for factory reset should be 7890 did you try this one?

You can also reset from the Android settings. Backup your android auto app first 

Cheers Nicky, will try and do the factory reset on Monday morning when I'm off work. 

Now that I know how to get Android Auto working correctly, would I need to back it up, would I not just connect again and go through T-Link app?

2 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

Cheers Nicky, will try and do the factory reset on Monday morning when I'm off work. 

Now that I know how to get Android Auto working correctly, would I need to back it up, would I not just connect again and go through T-Link app?

The factory reset will delete Tlink, dab+ app, Tpms.. every thing that is not stock Android.

Ebilaen will not be cooperativ to send you a new version. 

I have a backup in case.

This being said, it is not that good ok theses units, the poor microphone quality makes the unit not understand everything you say plus if you have music running, it will cut the music only something like 10 seconds when you are dictating a message.... So basically the music comes back on and ruins your messages.

Edited by nickytheshaft

I ended up not using the microfone that came with mine. I bought one that fits inside the factory holder inside the interior light. It's from Fiscon and has a 3.5mm plug. I think I had to then get an adapter as the stereo has a 2.5mm socket.

Using Android Auto she understands me perfectly everytime.

On 15/09/2022 at 12:22, Lamont1980 said:

The options to switch the doors is accessed by using the code 8888. The code 123456 takes you to a slightly different setup menu. 

As for the canbus if you haven't already got it sorted, try changing the vehicle version to force the system to redownload and install the setting app again

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, this question has probably been answered (I haven't read all 30 pages) but does the little screen on the dashboard lose any functionality if you get an Android unit? I'm guessing at the very least, the turn by turn navigation for GPS disappears?

I did actually try searching for it but "screen" appeared in WAY too many posts (obvioulsy, in hindsight).

On 21/05/2022 at 23:13, londonmoog said:

I don't suppose anyone has managed to fix the problem with the rubbish microphone? I thought mine was OK at first but now seems to be unusable.

I know this was posted months ago, but I actually read a thread over on XDA a while ago. Apparently the internal mic is on even if an external mic is connected, generally increasing noise and decreasing quality. However, you can either cut the cables or use tape on the flex cable to isolate the mic. 
They also recommended a directional microphone rather than a cheap and cheerful one.

On 29/10/2022 at 15:19, spludgey said:

I know this was posted months ago, but I actually read a thread over on XDA a while ago. Apparently the internal mic is on even if an external mic is connected, generally increasing noise and decreasing quality. However, you can either cut the cables or use tape on the flex cable to isolate the mic. 
They also recommended a directional microphone rather than a cheap and cheerful one.

Well I unsoldered the internal and tried a bunch of microphones including directional microphones, The only thing that really worked was an amplified noise cancelling microphone.

This one  https://amzn.eu/d/0akAlrd

Unsoldering the internal was really mandatory 

Edited by nickytheshaft

1 hour ago, nickytheshaft said:

Well I unsoldered the internal and tried a bunch of microphones including directional microphones, The only thing that really worked was an amplified noise cancelling microphone.

This one  https://amzn.eu/d/0akAlrd

Unsoldering the internal was really mandatory 

I haven't made it to your post above when I posted mine. But yes, it sounds like a good and similar solution.

Would you happen to have picture of where you installed it please? 

10 minutes ago, spludgey said:

I haven't made it to your post above when I posted mine. But yes, it sounds like a good and similar solution.

Would you happen to have picture of where you installed it please? 

Nope sorry, I didn't make any pictures.

The cable from the amplifier to the cable is short so what I did was get an extension for the usb, hooked it to the plug providing only power. Ran that to the small glove box on the driver side. It gave me enough mic cable left to put the mic on the sun visor. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi  Fubar

I saw your post about stereo upgrade 

im looking at doing the same to my 2015 octy .. is it a big job? And what did you take out of the glove box looking at your pictures.. all those wires look a bit scary.. I want to do this desperately as my stock stereo doesn’t even have Nav .. I had the VRs previously with the full screen Columbus awesome bit of kit..

Apple play etc..

But downgraded to a 1.6tdi now 😳

how do I remove my stock stereo and can you send me your link for exact stereo if you don’t mind.. loads of variants on Ali express memory Ram etc etc 

many thanks and hope to talk to you soon 👍🏻

On 30/11/2022 at 09:12, DervMaster said:

Hi  Fubar

I saw your post about stereo upgrade 

im looking at doing the same to my 2015 octy .. is it a big job? And what did you take out of the glove box looking at your pictures.. all those wires look a bit scary.. I want to do this desperately as my stock stereo doesn’t even have Nav .. I had the VRs previously with the full screen Columbus awesome bit of kit..

Apple play etc..

But downgraded to a 1.6tdi now 😳

how do I remove my stock stereo and can you send me your link for exact stereo if you don’t mind.. loads of variants on Ali express memory Ram etc etc 

many thanks and hope to talk to you soon 👍🏻

Hi, this is the unit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyPYZTt

4gg+64gb

The installation is not hard, you have to remove the glove box unit (if you have one) and the head unit.

The reste is just plug and play (except for the stock usb cable that need a little modding)

To remove the units, you need keys like these ones 

https://amzn.eu/d/9LaDaDn

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/10/2021 at 10:31, Lamont1980 said:

So, tried to install mine this morning, I don't have enough give in the power cable to switch this bloody thing on. 

All my power was going into the cd unit in the glove box, need about an inch more to get the stereo to slide into place and actually work

IMG-20211003-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20211003-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20211003-WA0007.jpeg

Hey struggling with this rn, how did you manage to get enough room to connect the android head unit? Plug socket is on right hand side of the Android unit and causing to be a right nightmare, need about another 1-2 inches if even. Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, Skoda1996 said:

Hey struggling with this rn, how did you manage to get enough room to connect the android head unit? Plug socket is on right hand side of the Android unit and causing to be a right nightmare, need about another 1-2 inches if even. Any ideas?

Hi mate,

I had to ask the seller for an extended harness. They were fine sending it out, just took a couple of weeks unfortunately.