Stolen: Race Blue Vrs Combi WA14YZU

Yesterday morning my race blue vrs was stolen. It was taken around 2.30 in the morning and was last spotted on Brook Street, Sheffield, around 4.30 in the morning. 

It is possible that the car now has new plates, or could be just parked up somewhere, now the thieves have their fun. I know it is a small chance of anybody spotting her, but would much rather have her back, than think about a new car.  

• Sad 10

Yep. The keys were stolen from the house. My expectation is that I won't see her again, or if I do it will be wrapped round something as it was involved in a car chance. And there is a pic as the header of my profile. I will find a pic to post on the thread itself when I get back from work.

Very sorry to hear it! Hopefully it is not a total loss and your insurance would cover it!

Generally, how likely is it for an Mk3 Octavia begin stolen regarding its security equipments? Does a Mk3 2013 have an immobiliser? Do I need to chain my pedals like old days car locking?

@WayTooTall - I would also phone all of the local Skoda and VW dealers in the area; make them aware as well. 

If you can also find the VIN, make sure the Police have that number and that the VIN is registered in the national lost/stolen database.

Finally, phone up Skoda Customer Services and ask them to put a marker on the VIN to state it is lost/stolen in case anybody trying to register it.

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Like 3

In my experience stolen cars are often found near to the last point seen. If the ANPR camera was the last confirmed sighting then searching any roads off that road, lock ups/garages etc and any commercial areas would be well worth while.

It’s not the normal sort of vehicle to be stolen for parts and stripped down or sent abroad so likely to be a local bell end rather then anything organised.

Ask the police to make sure they do some research on the last camera it hit for any vehicles that may have been in convoy with yours - that may give the officers something to narrow down the search!

• Like 1

I often wonder about the Telematics built in to the Platform, can Skoda not just tell the police where it is?

If you subscribe to the online services the app can pinpoint the car and you can set geographic alerts if it goes out of an area.

4 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I often wonder about the Telematics built in to the Platform,

For a 2013 car, there is absolutely none unless the owner has put in a tracker onto the car. 

On 15/07/2021 at 14:00, phil08 said:

In my experience stolen cars are often found near to the last point seen. If the ANPR camera was the last confirmed sighting then searching any roads off that road, lock ups/garages etc and any commercial areas would be well worth while.

It’s not the normal sort of vehicle to be stolen for parts and stripped down or sent abroad so likely to be a local bell end rather then anything organised.

Ask the police to make sure they do some research on the last camera it hit for any vehicles that may have been in convoy with yours - that may give the officers something to narrow down the search!

Talking to the officer who took my statement, he has an idea of the gang who may have taken it, and they are well aware where the anpr cameras are. He reckons that they may have left it somewhere to see if a tracker is installed.

Then it will most likely get a set of false plates on it, and used for other criminal purposes.

On 16/07/2021 at 12:43, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I often wonder about the Telematics built in to the Platform, can Skoda not just tell the police where it is?

If you subscribe to the online services the app can pinpoint the car and you can set geographic alerts if it goes out of an area.

Annoyingly,  I upgraded to a MIB 2.5 unit, but you can't subscribe to the online services, because as far as Skoda are concerned the car cannot be connected.

Also the data sim I bought, I just put into the car and didn't take the number.

Also the VCDS map I have of the unit, doesn't include its EMEI number.

On 13/07/2021 at 14:46, varaderoguy said:

If you can also find the VIN, make sure the Police have that number and that the VIN is registered in the national lost/stolen database.

No need to pass the Police the VIN as it recorded against the registration on the Police National Database. It will also be added to the hotlist, so if it triggers an ANPR camera it will send an alert or if a traffic car drives by it will ping up on the screen.

My bet is that this car will be used in crime without a doubt. They used to steal high power Audis and Ford's about ten years ago but a Skoda will be less conspicuous. Also Police use Skoda cars too, so even less so.

The opp. may get fines for speeding etc in the post over the next few weeks if it is on the originals plates. Just quote your crime number and they will get wiped off.  Also the same for any parking fines etc.

Edited by Ecomatt

I have a 2015 Octavia with MIB1 and Columbus.. with my phone paired to my car, it puts a pin into my iPhone Maps of where my car is. 

Never tried it if someone moves my car without me in it. 

22 minutes ago, Lee540 said:

I have a 2015 Octavia with MIB1 and Columbus.. with my phone paired to my car, it puts a pin into my iPhone Maps of where my car is. 

Never tried it if someone moves my car without me in it. 

Your iPhone has to be connected by Bluetooth with the car for it to work, so if the car is moved without your phone in it then your iPhone cannot tell you where the car is.

Bearing in mind WayTooTall's loss, are there any recommendations for boosting Octavia vehicle security?

It seems like a tough task to prevent vehicles being stolen when the thieves are able to steal the keys and simply drive them away. :worried:

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

Bearing in mind WayTooTall's loss, are there any recommendations for boosting Octavia vehicle security?

It seems like a tough task to prevent vehicles being stolen when the thieves are able to steal the keys and simply drive them away. :worried:

Probably better to start another thread on this, but if they want it they will get it. There is not a single thing you could do to the car that they could not get you to undo at knife/gun/crowbar/machete point at 3am in your house. 

If they break in looking for keys they are fully aware they might meet the owner and generally come prepared for that eventuality. My place is more secure than most, they would not get in quietly and between dogs and shotguns I would give them a run for their money but you have to ask yourself how much a replicable car is worth in injury and agro.

Ghost with transmission lock (if you have a DSG) is probably the one that would fool them best (if fitted well) , A tracker that is dormant until activated is another good one, but if you see the way they are driven ........... would you want it back?

• Like 2