What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

On 15/11/2023 at 20:02, Breezy_Pete said:

Partner took a test straight after that one ^.

Was clear at 10 mins, but now has developed a faint line next to T, after three-quarters of an hour.

Double boo...

Not surprised, I guess.

just seen these posts, at least ye can go through it together and then bask in relative safety of knowing youre both highly unlikely to be infected at all over the next 3-4 months ;)

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard through the grapevine that my Dad's Nova is soon to be no more, as its being broken up for spares apparently by the classics firm that bought it. Shame really, it was definitely a tidy wee car, especially for an SR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Flames seen near the top of Blackpool Tower. LFRS are on the scene. Hopefully this will be dealt with quickly with no harm or damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-67835079

Its also in a bad state due to corrosion of the steel frame. 

Blackpool Tower: £11m revamp plan for paint and steel work - BBC News  

• Like 1

The upper reaches of the tower - all metal - are currently restricted access during renovations, so an Aeroplod made a visual check and identified the errant orange netting.

• Like 3

News that western coastal areas of Japan have been hit by a massive earthquake, with urgent warnings to residents to evacuate immediately to higher ground because of a predicted imminent Tsunami of 5M or more. 

Japan earthquake latest: Tsunami warning as people urged to evacuate - BBC News

• Sad 3

A few weeks ago at 5 o'clock one morning, I looked out of my bedroom window and saw a wallet on the footpath. I put on a coat and retrieved the wallet, and found it contained a dozen personal cards including student card, bank card and driving licence.  I was anxious to return the wallet to its owner before he'd had chance to alert the authorities to his loss so I got dressed, put the wallet into an envelope with a note of my address (in case this was a police incident) then drove five miles to the owner's address to put the wallet through his letterbox.

Now I like to think what goes around, comes around. I like to think that if ever I were to lose my own wallet then someone out there would be similarly pleased to return my wallet to me. For this reason I neither wanted nor expected reward for my actions.

That said, a simple "Thank you" would have been nice...

• Sad 7

16 hours ago, Robjon said:

[snip]

Now I like to think what goes around, comes around. I like to think that if ever I were to lose my own wallet then someone out there would be similarly pleased to return my wallet to me. For this reason I neither wanted nor expected reward for my actions.

Maybe the clue is that the wallet contained a student card; at that age so many are totally self-centred and thoughtless. You should have had at least a 'thanks' after going to so much trouble.

OTOH: Years ago I found a purse left behind in the launderette. I handed it in at the local cop-shop. I was really embarrassed when the owner, getting my name and address from the police when she went hopefully to get her purse back, insisted on sending me a ten bob note in thanks. I really did not want any reward.

• Like 2

What saddened me this morning was seeing what looks very much like human errors within the air industry. After first seeing the video of the plane landing at Tokyo, it's unbelievable to think anyone survived that, but survive they did - not a single death on the airliner. That's just incredible and a big thumbs up to all the crew, passengers, airceaft designers etc.  for allowing that to happen.  Unfortunately most of those on the smaller aircraft weren't so lucky.

Who knows what happened for the planes to hit each other but the two obvious questions are why was the small plane on the runway and why didn't the larger jet landing see it?

I've just read about Japan being obsessed by safety but you can bet your last penny there wasn't a single point of failure in this incident. Even if there was an error by ATC or by the pilot in the smaller aircraft, then unless it never had it's lights on, I can't understand why the landing aircraft didn't see it?  From the video's, the weather didn't seem to play a part in any of this so I'm guessing one of the contributing factors could be the pilots landing may have been too reliant on the aircrafts autoland systems.

Why mention this on a car forum? Because that's what worries me about the ever increasing complexity of our own cars. We're becoming more and more distracted by the technology around us . I'll stick my hands up and plead guilty as charged when it comes to parking....  rear cross traffic alert, parking sensors, auto self-parking - I don't look out of the windows as much as I should when I'm parking these days.  

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

20 hours ago, Robjon said:

A few weeks ago at 5 o'clock one morning, I looked out of my bedroom window and saw a wallet on the footpath. I put on a coat and retrieved the wallet, and found it contained a dozen personal cards including student card, bank card and driving licence.  I was anxious to return the wallet to its owner before he'd had chance to alert the authorities to his loss so I got dressed, put the wallet into an envelope with a note of my address (in case this was a police incident) then drove five miles to the owner's address to put the wallet through his letterbox.

Lets hope that he hadn't moved or was living away from that address at university, at that age notifying card issuers etc would not come within their radar.

5 O clock in the morning, presumably walking and 5 miles from home, his wallet probably got there before he did!

And if he had had a good night he probably would have wondered the next day where all his money had gone anyway, now he would blame you!

No good deed goes unpunished, or as we say Trop bon trop con!

What goes around does come around though, I am still repaying others for their kindness.

• Like 2

Put in here because I'm really not sure what to make of it, nor quite how I feel:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(23)00221-1/fulltext

Sad I suppose at the prophecy.  I'm in the age group where a lot of tickers are packing up, accounting for some 47% of the excess deaths in the group 😐  But more sad for the 20-44 age group, coz that's my kids!

Gaz

A house on our village high street has a deeply recessed doorway. At the start of the covid lockdown the owners set up a charity book exchange in the doorway. Folks would donate books, and if a book took your fancy you would take it and pop something into their cancer charity tin, which has raised over £1000 for cancer research.

We are lucky to be a well-behaved community: lots of middle-class professionals, or academics commuting to the university. Hardly any crime and very little antisocial activity. It's upsetting that some retarded scum-bag has twice stolen the charity tin. Let's hope, like the Mikado, "let the punishment fit the crime". Maybe scum-bag will develop cancer...

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, OldTrilobite said:

Maybe scum-bag will develop cancer...

After seeing my mum have breast cancer, chemo, a mastectomy and finally for it to return and develop into metastatic cancer I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Not even Johnson though may his knackersack be ravaged by a thousand fleas.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, @Lee said:

After seeing my mum have breast cancer, chemo, a mastectomy and finally for it to return and develop into metastatic cancer I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Likewise.  I've a mate in Perth, Australia, who's six weeks younger than me, and is currently being ravaged by cancer.  Having chemo, although only to give him a bit more time.  We've put a planned holiday to Canada on hold, in the hopes we might be able to get out and see him before his funeral, which I'll also want to attend.  It's incredibly upsetting, even though we know the lay of the land and have been through it with other friends, and family, before.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Sad 7

@mac11irl, that is pretty much my thoughts on how it is likely to have unfolded but the investigation should clarify.

Unfortunately it is a more common incident than one would like. I have been on two different commercial flights where the daylight landing approach has been aborted. The one into Sydney airport with my family was particularly late into the procedure when full engine thrust was applied for a go round just before we expected the wheels to touch due to a smaller aircraft making an unauthorised crossing of the runway.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 3

Getting away with it so far. 

Sandbags deployed now though. One of our neighbours not so lucky, sewage lapping over front door threshold. 🙁 

Help on hand for them from other neighbours with pumps etc, and a tanker passed me inbound as I headed out of the village, hopefully en-route to some pumping action.

• Sad 6

On 03/01/2024 at 15:14, OldTrilobite said:

A house on our village high street has a deeply recessed doorway. At the start of the covid lockdown the owners set up a charity book exchange in the doorway. Folks would donate books, and if a book took your fancy you would take it and pop something into their cancer charity tin, which has raised over £1000 for cancer research.

We are lucky to be a well-behaved community: lots of middle-class professionals, or academics commuting to the university. Hardly any crime and very little antisocial activity. It's upsetting that some retarded scum-bag has twice stolen the charity tin. Let's hope, like the Mikado, "let the punishment fit the crime". Maybe scum-bag will develop cancer...

There’s 🤬 scumbags everywhere. Just read on a local forum about someone who was indoors and happened to see a car the exact same as his drive past, but then stop quickly and reverse. The driver then got out, ripped off the guys wing mirror before driving away. Fortunately the owner managed to catch the whole thing, scumbags face, car registration etc so hopefully the local police will follow it up.

• Sad 3

On 05/01/2024 at 09:22, Breezy_Pete said:

Getting away with it so far. 

Sandbags deployed now though. One of our neighbours not so lucky, sewage lapping over front door threshold. 🙁 

Help on hand for them from other neighbours with pumps etc, and a tanker passed me inbound as I headed out of the village, hopefully en-route to some pumping action.

Last year, after some local flooding, the council sent us a pack of 5 FloodSax. We have found them very useful at times. When dry they are lightweight but have an enormous ability to absorb water. One can stack them like sandbags, then wet them to expand and seal a doorway, for example. We have used them mainly to absorb rainwater flooding into the kitchen under the back door - which they do very well. In theory one can re-use them, but wet FloodSax take months to dry out, their water retention is so strong. We are still drying out 3 of them last used months ago!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Phone call from my Daughter at 6:20am this morning.  She's hit black ice on a roundabout on her way to work and come off her bike.  She's okay, her hip and shoulder taking the brunt of it.  Her helmet did its job, but is RIP.  Bike'll live, but is going to need surgery.

RAC have arrived, but only to 'assess'.  They've decided it'll need recovery - no sheet Sherlock; broken brake lever and brake pedal is a bit of a clue 🙄

Gaz 

• Sad 8