New Superb 280

I realise this will be old news to most on here but I only just discovered that the 272 is no more and Skoda has gone back to 280 for the latest Superb flagships.

There is a nearly new L&K 280 estate currently for sale on Autotrader for £40,500 (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108106068718?atmobcid=soc3).

What do people think of this new model? The performance sounds incredible with 5.1 sec 0-60 and I do like the virtual cockpit. Does the 2-spoke steering wheel make any noticeable difference?

Are there any other changes to differentiate it from the 272? And now that the new 280 estate sits firmly in the UK luxury car tax band with a list price of £43k, does that narrow its appeal and might an older model actually be the smarter choice for most people, or would you still have the new one if you had the means (which I don't BTW - this is purely window-shopping!)?

Knowing Skoda/volkswagen, the 272 was already pushing out 280 (or more), so all they've done is say 'here you go, have 8ps more'. If not, it's just a simple change in mapping as they learn a bit more about the current gen engines behaviour.

The 0-60 is just a figure. My original 280 superb had an official 0-60 of 5.8s. It was timed on an airfield at 4.5s. Its quick enough for overtaking and just getting up to speed, which is where it really matters. 

I'd say that the appeal has gone down thanks to the luxury tax for private buyers. Leasing hides the cost in the monthly rate, so you won't notice as much.

I am changing my 280 superb as I'm spending over £300 on petrol just on general use. I looked at a superb diesel, but the ones I was interested in were over £40k before any options. The extra £350 per year in road tax when not leasing is not worth it for a motorway cruiser, so I have gone for an enyaq instead.

1 hour ago, roo said:

Knowing Skoda/volkswagen, the 272 was already pushing out 280 (or more), so all they've done is say 'here you go, have 8ps more'. If not, it's just a simple change in mapping as they learn a bit more about the current gen engines behaviour.

The 0-60 is just a figure. My original 280 superb had an official 0-60 of 5.8s. It was timed on an airfield at 4.5s. Its quick enough for overtaking and just getting up to speed, which is where it really matters. 

I'd say that the appeal has gone down thanks to the luxury tax for private buyers. Leasing hides the cost in the monthly rate, so you won't notice as much.

I am changing my 280 superb as I'm spending over £300 on petrol just on general use. I looked at a superb diesel, but the ones I was interested in were over £40k before any options. The extra £350 per year in road tax when not leasing is not worth it for a motorway cruiser, so I have gone for an enyaq instead.

As much as you’d think they are just a map difference, from what I’ve read the difference is 1 has 4 direct injectors and the other has 4 direct injectors + 4 manifold injectors 

may be wrong though.

on the subject of this car, it baffles me to pay £40,500 for a car in a bog standard ****ty silver, if it’s such a standing out car, why wouldn’t you order a colour to match.

reminds me of a old Vauxhall zafira  colour 😂😂

54 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

on the subject of this car, it baffles me to pay £40,500 for a car in a bog standard ****ty silver, if it’s such a standing out car, why wouldn’t you order a colour to match.

reminds me of a old Vauxhall zafira  colour 😂😂

I live near this dealer and I'm pretty sure I was offered this vehicle whilst it stood in the showroom - price was silly, it's not got all the electronic toys but it has got a useless £1230 extra sun roof........!

I suspect it came to the dealer at a cracking price.

The price asked for it now is, some might say, optimistic?

Edited by Berisford

31 minutes ago, Berisford said:

price was silly, it's not got all the electronic toys but it has got a useless £1230 extra sun roof........!

I wouldn't.buy the estate without the sun roof, brightens up the interior and makes any estate car!😀

12 minutes ago, Markbro said:

I wouldn't.buy the estate without the sun roof, brightens up the interior and makes any estate car!😀

Each to their own - for me, a hole in the roof - especially a big ‘un like in the Superb Estate, is potential for much heartache along the way………….

On 14/11/2021 at 21:16, Bingodalton said:

But old one should be better in cleaning valves. 

Of course it was.

I had this carbon build up after 10.000 km on my272...you can't see it clearly in the picture, but it was there.

New 280 should be the same direct injection only.

4f4d5ffe-a19e-4655-bc65-7dac9294a068.thumb.jpg.44aad00214f2ee800dae9bfa694e2ec3.jpg

On 14/11/2021 at 16:18, roo said:

My original 280 superb had an official 0-60 of 5.8s. It was timed on an airfield at 4.5s

Thanks for your thoughts, very interesting. I also have an original 280 (estate) and it certainly feels fast enough to me, but I never imagined it was quite that quick. Did your 4.5s involve launch control? (I have never tried mine as I assume it would be tough on the mechanicals).

Also, I previously had a 2011 TDi 170 4x4 Superb Estate. It was far more economical than the 280 at a cruise as you would expect, but disappointingly thirsty around town (which I factored into my "man maths" to justify why we should upgrade to the 280 😉). Luckily we do not cover many miles!

On 14/11/2021 at 18:49, Berisford said:

it has got a useless £1230 extra sun roof........!

The description says it has a panoramic sunroof but I couldn't see it in any of the pics. Especially those looking in from the open rear hatch, it looks just like my solid roof. Can anyone spot any sign of it?

2 hours ago, Superbio said:

The description says it has a panoramic sunroof but I couldn't see it in any of the pics. Especially those looking in from the open rear hatch, it looks just like my solid roof. Can anyone spot any sign of it?

Well spotted, can’t be the one I viewed in the showroom then ‘cause that one definitely had a glass top - even the salesman agreed it was a ‘questionable’ expensive addition to a stock car……….

7 hours ago, Superbio said:

Thanks for your thoughts, very interesting. I also have an original 280 (estate) and it certainly feels fast enough to me, but I never imagined it was quite that quick. Did your 4.5s involve launch control? (I have never tried mine as I assume it would be tough on the mechanicals).

6 hours ago, Bingodalton said:

4.5s 0-60mph sounds more like mild Stage 1.

How it was measured? 

When I did the 0-60 time I was 4 up and I used launch control. Its the only time I've ever bothered using it tbh. It's OK on the mechanicals, but it can cause the clutches to wear out quicker. The DSG computer logs how many times its done too, so if you do it too much and the gearbox breaks, they could refuse a claim.

It was measured using a phone timing app that was rested by the gear selecter.

I do take the time with a pinch of salt, and if it was all done properly I'd guess it would be around 5, but the car is a motorway cruiser with good overtaking.  It's not a hot hatch.

Skoda/volkswagen are known for under reporting bhp figures. Even the mk1 fabia vrs pushed 145bhp when rolling roaded.

Skoda 280 does not have launch counter. Golf has it and it has limitation on number of launches.

Taking this info with a phone with gps refresh rate of 1Hz it is very inaccurate.

My Stage 1 is doing under 4.3 for 0-100 with a lot of 4wheel spin on winter tyres. Best 0-60 was 3.99 :)

Lower weight Golf do it in 0.3s less for example.

Still, it is pretty fast, 0-200 15.5s best time.

All messured with 20Hz PGear device (accuracy 0.05s).

On 17/11/2021 at 16:33, Bingodalton said:

Skoda 280 does not have launch counter. Golf has it and it has limitation on number of launches.

Taking this info with a phone with gps refresh rate of 1Hz it is very inaccurate.

My Stage 1 is doing under 4.3 for 0-100 with a lot of 4wheel spin on winter tyres. Best 0-60 was 3.99 :)

Lower weight Golf do it in 0.3s less for example.

Still, it is pretty fast, 0-200 15.5s best time.

All messured with 20Hz PGear device (accuracy 0.05s).

Who did you get your Stage 1 with?  That's a good 0-100 time!!

4 hours ago, Donweather said:

Who did you get your Stage 1 with?  That's a good 0-100 time!!

It's what should expected with any decent stage 1 from a reputable tuner really.

Best of my 272 with the REVO stage 1 was 0-60 in 3.80" and 0-100km/h in 3.98" 🙂

0-60mph.thumb.jpg.73bd731dc259188f78f08018ac9e1c7a.jpg

1475526685_0-100best.thumb.jpg.ed16f28e5d286b69e818d33fe578ecc7.jpg

Point here is 4.3" is a great time for a stage 1 Superb yes but there are probably closer options for you than having to travel all the way to Serbia, if not for a vacation at the same time 😄

Edited by newbie69

For sure :)

272 is making better times than 280. Both need to go in 3rd in order to reach 100, but 272 have shorter gears.

272 at 6500rpm is 80 (goes to 3rd)

280 at 6500rpm is 93 (goes to 3rd at 98, pulling it to 6800rpm)

Speedo reading.

In theory, I could get to 100km/h in 2nd (103-104 speedo) in manual without limiter.

Or to try to shift earlier in manual, at 6500.

3 hours ago, Bingodalton said:

For sure :)

272 is making better times than 280. Both need to go in 3rd in order to reach 100, but 272 have shorter gears.

272 at 6500rpm is 80 (goes to 3rd)

280 at 6500rpm is 93 (goes to 3rd at 98, pulling it to 6800rpm)

Speedo reading.

In theory, I could get to 100km/h in 2nd (103-104 speedo) in manual without limiter.

Or to try to shift earlier in manual, at 6500.

Having recently gone back to a manual, I have to say the concept of "gear change delay" just does not apply to a DSG  :D  , especially upshifting in S with the throttle buried on the floor.

Looking at my logs I was shocked at how much time is lost during gear changes in my manual compared to a DSG which essentially accelerates in a continuous and relentless fashion.

• Like 2

Yes these cars do accelerate brutally quickly even in stock form. My standard 280 has given me a 0-60 log using a Bluetooth dongle plugged in and my phone of 5.2 seconds several times consistently which seems to line up with other peoples experiences using more reliable equipment like the draggy etc.

If I ever do push the button on a stage 1 I’d guess mid 4’s would be expected.

it’s amazing how easily you get used to it though every now and then it scares me how quickly it goes when I decide to play…

• Like 1

On 19/11/2021 at 13:43, newbie69 said:

Having recently gone back to a manual, I have to say the concept of "gear change delay" just does not apply to a DSG  :D  , especially upshifting in S with the throttle buried on the floor.

Looking at my logs I was shocked at how much time is lost during gear changes in my manual compared to a DSG which essentially accelerates in a continuous and relentless fashion.

Having never driven a DSG prior to the 280, I totally agree with you. I’d had many slushbox geared vehicles in the past and even with pretty powerful vehicles (Scorpio Cosworth, Peugeot 604ti, Alfa 166 3.0) I found the lack of torque that was sapped and the inconsistency of gearchanges was awful and the DSG was a revaluation; no loss of torque, consistency of gear and the smooth changes were wonderful. And I understand DSG’s are getting faster too, almost upto sequential speed.