Weather

skomaz

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

We seem to have become the only place in Scotland that hasn't had much snow.

Raise Dumbarton, where it has just plain "not snowed" yet, although it has snowed in Alexandria and Bonhill, about 4 miles away.

• Like 1

Just now, KenONeill said:

Raise Dumbarton, where it has just plain "not snowed" yet, although it has snowed in Alexandria and Bonhill, about 4 miles away.

Aye it's weird the way it's worked out. Usually we'd be snowed in by now down here. :D

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

We seem to have become the only place in Scotland that hasn't had much snow

Probably no consolation but we're getting a dusting of snow on top of the frost down here in the south...

IMG_7585.jpg

• Like 1

-5 prediction over night, woke up to...

not even ground frost. 

cars not iced up, and was +2 at 10am heading out for shoppi g with spud jr. but.... its that damp air feels like -10 atm.

3 hours ago, mac11irl said:

-5 prediction over night, woke up to...

not even ground frost. 

cars not iced up, and was +2 at 10am heading out for shoppi g with spud jr. but.... its that damp air feels like -10 atm.

SCIENCE! This applies equally to countries other than the UK

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

SCIENCE! This applies equally to other countries other than the UK

i only put that in the family group chat last night 🤣 id tried explaining the phenomenon to people before and i got nowhere, but this makes it make sense

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

We had freezing fog for most of yesterday. We dropped to -6 overnight  it only got to 0° for a couple of hours today when the sun was out before more freezing fog came down. The only place the frost melted was where the sun hit. It's currently -2 in High Kelling, North Norfolk.

20221211_152804.jpg

20221211_152728.jpg

• Like 4

I lived in a static caravan for 20 years, I had a parkray fire with a back boiler for the radiators and hot water tank, which kept the place really warm unless we got really low temps. I remember having fun getting underneath it putting insulation on the toilet pipe to stop it freezing up in the winter.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We had a spike, up to 2.6°c early afternoon, which saw off some frost, then rain, which cleared the rest of it.  Everything is wet from the rain, with puddles on the road and paths.

Now the temperature's dropping and we've heavy snow just starting to lay:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/1bda83c5b12758208ceebcb39ec9be9116d38b9548c64d8def82801e382e3c83/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/B296451F-966C-4535-972E-0828D6A860E1.thumb.jpeg.ab1ab44c99cd7127bcf671c038cb350b.jpeg

The roads still sound wet, but it should be fun later if the temperature continues to drop.

Gaz

We had freezing temps on Thursday night and also hail and rain the hail is still on the roof of the house now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

It snowed here in Wiltshire this morning, only about 1 inch (25mm) settled on the ground.

We also only ended up with about an inch 🙁:

IMG_5881.thumb.jpeg.9e78934ef1c97dea67a87ebbe55745e5.jpeg

IMG_5888.thumb.jpeg.abab6354391f067a03160f9020509e64.jpeg

Although the water on my garage roof has frozen, and we're getting reports of buses turning around (marooning my Daughter in Seaford), rail service interruptions and locals taking 1.5 hours to cover 5 miles 🙄 

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 3

Had a couple of inches here this morning that's stayed most of the day.  Not been out in it though as benn fitting bay window curtain poles and curtains as well as clearing space for the window fitters to do the last one tomorrow 

• Like 3

I have not watched the TV, but I suspect there will be some news crew on the side of a steep hill recording muppets getting stuck.

Each time you see them try to drive off, they floor the accelerator and wheels spinning at some ridiculus speed.

I live on a small hill, and when the snow hits, I get out some pop corn to watch the carnage unfold.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, varooom said:

I have not watched the TV, but I suspect there will be some news crew on the side of a steep hill recording muppets getting stuck.

Each time you see them try to drive off, they floor the accelerator and wheels spinning at some ridiculus speed.

I live on a small hill, and when the snow hits, I get out some pop corn to watch the carnage unfold.

Big hill outside here, with my house at the top facing down the way. I sit on the chair in the bay window and watch the madness. Laughter is a great medicine right enough. :D

• Like 2
  • Cheeky 1

3 minutes ago, varooom said:

You should live stream that 😁

Would need proper snow again, January is usually a better time for filming it usually. The 'Beast from the East' was a cracking year for it, all the buses got stuck just down from the house. :D

The best ones are 4x4 owners who clearly can't operate their pristine new 4x4 car, so the likes of me in my knackered out old FWD Fabia come tootling past like a mountain goat.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Would need proper snow again, January is usually a better time for filming it usually. The 'Beast from the East' was a cracking year for it, all the buses got stuck just down from the house. :D

The best ones are 4x4 owners who clearly can't operate their pristine new 4x4 car, so the likes of me in my knackered out old FWD Fabia come tootling past like a mountain goat.

Yeah I see a bus that made it a few hundred yard up our little small hill and stopped at a bus stop to let someone off, it couldn't get moving again (3-4hrs it was there for)

4x4 Owners... "all the gear, and no idea" (not all, but the Chelsea tractor types.)

I used to scamp about no matter the weather, on all year round tyres, nothing special at all.  I would be on the way to work, seeing cars wiped out, and I would just pootle past like it was nothing.

I came up to a 90 degree bend, and clocked a scaffolding lorry, through the bushes coming in like a missle, so I stopped 100 yards short to see it launch itself into a famers field... back into gear and I carried on.  Mobile Darwin awards almost got handed out that day.

Edited by varooom
Spellink
  • Like 2

Mrs Gaz is going to Folkestone today by train, so I took her into town (about four miles) to the station.  The Cut-de-sac at the back of my house doesn't get gritted and has frozen snow with ice under it.  Today is the first time since having them that I was glad my car is shod with the Cross Climate 2's.  I've seen several cars spinning their wheels, and a couple in trouble on slopes, but I've not slid, or lost grip at all.  Temperature ranged from -1 to +0.5 over the eight mile round trip.

I was more concerned walking down my 30' garden path!

Gaz

• Like 3

This is the first year in ages I've not had all seasons on our car as I'm still on the summers so it'll be interesting to see how the Kodiaq 4x4 copes.  It was fine last year on the same tyres but you never know...   although I'm not expecting it to be as capable as the  old Octavia 4x4 on the Cross Climates... 

Oh and -4 this morning with no front window (again!) and I've already had to de-ice the boiler condensate outlet (plumber due later this week to hopefully reroute / resolve!)

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1