Weather

skomaz

Thanks, I had enlarged it too much and did not have all the photo visible, I can indeed see 6 drains and presumably there was a 7th where the brickwork has fallen away, I thought the water was from elsewhere, a weir or something and had not realised the brickwork was gone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Thanks, I had enlarged it too much and did not have all the photo visible, I can indeed see 6 drains and presumably there was a 7th where the brickwork has fallen away, I thought the water was from elsewhere, a weir or something and had not realised the brickwork was gone.

I was thinking that's a damned weird place for a satellite dish. 

39 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I was thinking that's a damned weird place for a satellite dish. 

I'll ask my sister for a better piccie when the weather eases :)

Meanwhile, here's a piccie from Mr Google[tm] showing the Post Office (whose dishes they are) and the nice new curtains the highways department have supplied for the bridge walls.

image.png.e5dc5e2651e77d566df7cc5fe4597751.png

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks pretty much like a Snow Bomb over Scotland or much of it on Saturday and maybe into Sunday.

To lower levels.

An issue for those heading north for the New Year or maybe just travelling or heading south. 

Screenshot 2023-12-28 17.15.05.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

I have had a run of 3 sunny and dry days to continue with my roof repairs, 13°c and felt much warmer in the sunlight.

Today was mostly overcast though, the announced rain did not happen, forecast is it will continue to be dry, sunny and between 12 and 16° for the next week which means I might get finished.

Finally the river networks could not take any more..........

Tewkesbury again......

The Soar/ Trent as well as the Severn......

Edited by lol-lol
  • Sad 2

I don't know if it's the norm for all German farms but all the farmers where I am dig really deep ditches around their fields. And I mean really deep as in over a meter. You can see them clearing them in spring and late autumn. Drainage is one of the keys to flood prevention as is maintenance of rivers and regularly dredging rivers of build up of silt and discarded shopping trollies. 

• Like 1

Ditches, dykes and troughs or moats are fine, but the water needs to be able to go down into the ground or down hill and not just over top.

Canals, burns, streams, culverts, rivers, ponds, lakes, lochs and reservoirs that are full or have overtopped and get more water in than can go down hill just keep getting higher if the rain keeps falling and has no place to go.

Around Aberdeenshire, Angus, Perthshire & Fife there are ditches, and fields are lower than the roads and flooded, or higher than the roads and roads and fields can be flooded.

Plenty drainage for normal weathers, or there are or were flood plains.   In Perthshire, River Erich & Isla and the Tay were built up with banks to keep the river in and water out of fields and land for the FISHING / FISHERS.   Great for a few years and now a total horror show.

It happened elsewhere because nobody stopped the Land Owners or the FACTORS. 

Now they are getting public money to reverse what they did for their financial gain. 

EDIT. PS.

Cairngorms / Grampian Mountains. Angus Glens, to Glen Doll, Glen Clova, Cortachy, Tanadice, Finavon, Brechin, Montrose, the North Sea.

Many places inbetween.

south-esk-non-technical-summary.pdf

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Some farmers claim that the money saved by not dredging rivers has been a false economy since the cost of flood damage has been much greater, here is one example.

• Like 2

amassive part of the problem is actually drainage in higher ground being too efficient. instead of water being held in the hills slowly working its through the ground, with much drainage done and wind farms to an extent, the water is being sent down hill much faster than the rivers have evolved to handle and so that along with all the extra development and storn runoff also being pitched into the same river systems we have the increase in flood events being compounded by climate change related rainfall increases.

• Like 4

Sheet and black ice everywhere.  Minus 3 and heading south slowly in RWD BMW with very wide performance tyres, and not winter performance.   That was after getting in which required hot water in a bag.    Driving an EV in winter is so much simple.  Pre heat from the phone app. 

EDIT,

lots of ice and mist and freezing fog then brilliant clear skies and temps around freezing and below until about Kilmarnock, then it got warmer and Sunny South Ayrshire is a balmy 3 degrees c. 

DSC_0508.JPG

DSC_0514.JPG

DSC_0517 (1).JPG

DSC_0513.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 4

Still coming down with the powdery stuff here but like I said, it builds up.
Yestreday
IMG_20240105_153231585.jpg.94a4604c082c581d851acae9c43f27fd.jpg

Today

IMG_20240106_161416145_HDR.jpg.28eab370724229199c549f08b970364e.jpg

IMG_20240106_161515088.jpg.b0b7c7a7ef71803d1461fda19d6bc2ea.jpg

Blackbirds aren't really camoflaged for snow are they.

IMG_20240106_160732745.jpg.fb5fb1a717abd77989ebe2e276802bc0.jpg

Council and farmers have been out a few times but not so much on the side roads.

IMG_20240106_152158650.jpg.1a0905c7b31c77132211cba7245241c2.jpg

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Below freezing after a very clear sky last night with quite a show of stars. 

DSC_0531.JPG

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG

The best sort of winter days. Enjoy 'em while they last...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Bit of a snow storm in The New Forest today, luckily I got home before the whole of the South of England ground to a halt.   😂

:D

I couldn't help laughing at the Sky News weather live weather updates - warning of 'Shocking' conditions down sowf.'

Here's just 3 updates...  if you look really closely, you can see it's so bad you can almost see that bloke making a footprint in the attrocious conditions. The last photo? Conditions were so bad I guess the photographer was snowed in therefore they've used a stock photo of traffic queued in the snow. I didn't realise you guys now drive on the right side in England  :D Next, it'll be a shortage of food on the shelves. :D.   I lived on the Kent / East Sussex border for almost 20 years, absolutely unbelievable some people's attitiude to a few flakes of snow. I've seen worse dandruff. 

snow1.JPG.e9b8cf29cb7b590f20c1fd6de4abbfb5.JPG

snow2.JPG.757e7dee9bf3fd63aea1558ea2f62ce0.JPG

snow3.JPG.3a269253652ca8b7dce1cf8d5ff13021.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Groan 1

We've got a local lane closed due to black ice.  Quite unusual for where it is - might cycle out for a nosey tomorrow.  Photo from the AA website:

1516652089_Screenshot2024-01-10at17_28_11.jpeg.23e696b2886ebd5e3a968f6b69c7ba9f.jpeg

It's currently 2°C, but feeling like -2.  Sunny day, but ice out the back hasn't melted at all.  Fresh water in the bird bath is now starting to freeze.

Gaz