Pop pop,SOS

Update:
I used to get the pop 3-4 times on my way to work (M1->M25->M4) but since the last update I am not getting those anymore.  It only happened once on a different route and not since but if that's it then I can live with it.

I do, however, get frequent Infotainment crashes first thing in the morning .  It crashes 1-4 times in a row and then it's find for the rest of the journey.  Anyone else have that?

14 minutes ago, petersu said:

I do, however, get frequent Infotainment crashes first thing in the morning .  It crashes 1-4 times in a row and then it's find for the rest of the journey.  Anyone else have that?

Check the thread dedicated to the issue. Firmware 1941 fixes it in most cases.

4 hours ago, petersu said:

Update:
I used to get the pop 3-4 times on my way to work (M1->M25->M4) but since the last update I am not getting those anymore.  It only happened once on a different route and not since but if that's it then I can live with it.

Yes I get exactly the same

I had the car in for updating to 1941 as it was unable to connect and set me up as primary user, Since updating, the POP POP, SOS issue has become a lot more refular as it used to happen once every other day, now happens a 2-3 times per drive 

I had the car in specifically for the pop error and a software update was applied.  This didn't change the software version displayed (1896).  That seems to have fixed the issue for me.  The subsequent crashes all got resolved by upgrading to 1941.  So far no more issues for me...

• 1 month later...

I've had the car in for the 1941 update due to no internet connectivity. Since then I have internet but I also have a lot more POP POPs and "SOS module error, visit workshop". It wouldn't connect back up for a good few hours of the car being off and locked.

In added annoyance it would seriously mess with the satnav / apple carplay while it was in fault; it would keep adjusting my location and re-calculating the route while thinking i was on parallel roads. I've been putting off going into the dealer as I mainly do short distance drives so it didn't effect me more than it annoyed me.

Yesterday I was on the way to the lake district from Manchester and within 20 miles the module crashed and the satnav went crazy once more, not ideal on a 90 mile drive!

Here's what I found intersting and wanted to share: I disconnected wireless carplay and mashed the SOS button a couple times out of frustration, within a couple of minutes it connected back up and the warning went away from the dash. This has never happend while the car was still on.

I continued the journey with the phone connected via USB rather than wireless and other than a few POP POPs it re-connected everytime. On the way back home it faulted fully with the dash error and everything, but i pressed the SOS button twice and it reconnected.

My conclusion is that the wireless carplay is some how effecting the SOS module.

The car is booked in to Skoda Rochdale on 11th Oct for diagnostics as well as a bunch of other software issues.

7 minutes ago, MrOlympic said:

it would keep adjusting my location and re-calculating the route while thinking i was on parallel roads. I've been putting off going into the dealer as I mainly do short distance drives so it didn't effect me more than it annoyed me.

This was one of the issues I experienced with the Sat Nav. After a few of the Pop, Pop, SOS alerts the module would eventually give up, and take the satnav with it. Virtual Cockpit wouldn't display the live map data anymore, and the GPS would put me a few hundred metres to the side of the road causing constant route re-calculations.

In my time with the car I think I've had most of the issues that others on this forum have experienced... Pop, Pop, SOS... infotainment crashing.... climate SYNC not holding... Matrix lights dazzling oncoming cars. I'm pleased to say that all of my issues have now been rectified through software updates to various modules within the car. Ultimately you will probably need to push the dealer on this, but there are software fixes out there for all of the issues you have. I think my car ended up going back to the dealer around 10 times, and on several occasions I've been without the car for several weeks.

I found it did help a little to raise the issue with Skoda UK Executive Office. It seems once a ticket is assigned by them, the dealer can use it to get more of a 'priority' service from Skoda Technical. So if you don't get the issues resolved on this next visit, it may be a route worth looking at.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I use an iPhone 12 pro, don't know if thats relevant.

I have a lot of software issues with the vehicle:

• POP POP - SOS call failed, as described
  • Satnav, as described
  • Sometimes the car thinks it's undertaking in 2nd and 3rd lane  - thinks it's a left hand drive car
  • Random front assist error
  • Clima sync - thinks it's a left hand drive car
  • Randomly switches to guest profile while driving, then can get stuck on loading while switching back.

Not sure if matrix lights are dazzling oncoming vehicles as I haven't had much oportunity using them since getting the car in May, but from the above list I probably do 😅

Edited by MrOlympic

8 minutes ago, MrOlympic said:

Forgot to mention I use an iPhone 12 pro, don't know if thats relevant.

I have a lot of software issues with the vehicle:

• POP POP - SOS call failed, as described
  • Satnav, as described
  • Sometimes the car thinks it's undertaking in 2nd and 3rd lane  - thinks it's a left hand drive car
  • Random front assist error
  • Randomly switches to guest profile while driving, then can get stuck on loading while switching back.

Not sure if matrix lights are dazzling oncoming vehicles as I haven't had much oportunity using them since getting the car in May, but from the above list I probably do 😅

I've had all of the issues you mentioned above, except the last one about randomly switching to a guest profile. When my car was with the dealer in June they told me they applied a large update to several modules in the car, plus another update from the factory to specifically address the climate sync issue. Apart from the infotainment reboots it did resolve everything.

The jury is still out on the matrix lights as I've not really had a chance to use them during the summer, so we'll see. When they're activated you'll soon find out from other drivers if they're being dazzled. The issue with them was that they were configured for a left hand drive car (similar to the climate sync issue)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had the car back for a week, so far so good on the connection loss,

no joy on:

• Sometimes the car thinks it's undertaking in 2nd and 3rd lane  - thinks it's a left hand drive

17 minutes ago, MrOlympic said:

no joy on:

There is a software update available for the climate sync issue. I've had it applied to my car. I did ask the dealer to provide details of the fix so I could let people know on this forum. However, they told they were not allowed to disclose details of the update applied.

But if you goto your dealer they should be able to find the relevant update.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/07/2023 at 17:45, BritishBeef said:

After 3 software updates I thought it was gone. Even have the mighty ver. 1941.

POP POP back with new message: Emergency Call Activated.

I had the dealership update my system to 1941 and update the SOS module firmware and for the last 7 weeks no Pop Pop noise.  Recently had it occur twice, with same message momentarily flashing up on Virtual Cockpit but no adverse effects such as SOS unit crashing or Sat Nav offsetting position of vehicle.  Did you get any further work done, such as new SOS module hardware, when it came back or just left it as it is?  Asking as my Original Warranty expires in a couple weeks so would likely need to act now if hardware replacement needed.  My inclination is it's only been twice and ultimately everything continued to work as expected so hopefully a non-issue.

Edited by spcdust

22 minutes ago, spcdust said:

I had the dealership update my system to 1941 and update the SOS module firmware and for the last 7 weeks no Pop Pop noise.  Recently had it occur twice, with same message momentarily flashing up on Virtual Cockpit but no adverse effects such as SOS unit crashing or Sat Nav offsetting position of vehicle.  Did you get any further work done, such as new SOS module hardware, when it came back or just left it as it is?  Asking as my Original Warranty expires in a couple weeks so would likely need to act now if hardware replacement needed.  My inclination is it's only been twice and ultimately everything continued to work as expected so hopefully a non-issue.

I had all of these issues with my 1st edition. All of the issues are now resolved, and I was told that they had not replaced any hardware, and only software updates were applied. However, they told me that Skoda Technical had asked them after the updates to effectively 'factory reset' my car and 're-code' the entire car. This happened during a 3 week period where they'd asked to have my car, as Skoda Technical were trying to get a full understanding and resolution of the issues with early Mk 4 Octavia's. When I got the car back the issues POP POP did cease completely, along with the satnav offsetting my position. It wasn't until 1941 came along that the other infotainment issues were completely fixed though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesK said:

I had all of these issues with my 1st edition. All of the issues are now resolved, and I was told that they had not replaced any hardware, and only software updates were applied. However, they told me that Skoda Technical had asked them after the updates to effectively 'factory reset' my car and 're-code' the entire car. This happened during a 3 week period where they'd asked to have my car, as Skoda Technical were trying to get a full understanding and resolution of the issues with early Mk 4 Octavia's. When I got the car back the issues POP POP did cease completely, along with the satnav offsetting my position. It wasn't until 1941 came along that the other infotainment issues were completely fixed though.

Since the updates to 1941 and SOS module firmware update I went from POP POP occurring virtually every journey and usually knocking out the SOS unit completely, at a minimum, to no Pops at all.  Odd, after seven weeks of nothing I have had a couple in the last 10 days.  As I said, despite these re-occurrences of the double POP, no adverse affects to the cars systems, so I guess there's nothing to complain to the dealer about - if it ain't broken and all that.

As I posted back  in October 2022, my VRS Estate (first registered March 2022) was updated to version 1896. After countless problems before the update I have had no problem whatsoever since, No pop pop, no sat nav issues, no error messages. As a result I would not consider updating to 1941 unless all the problems started again.  If it isn't broke then no need for fixing is my moto now.

30 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

As I posted back  in October 2022, my VRS Estate (first registered March 2022) was updated to version 1896. After countless problems before the update I have had no problem whatsoever since, No pop pop, no sat nav issues, no error messages. As a result I would not consider updating to 1941 unless all the problems started again.  If it isn't broke then no need for fixing is my moto now.

You may well have needed a bit of hardware to be replaced as well as the software/firmware updated 

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have had the PoP Pop issue fixed, either by the SOS module being replaced or module firmware updated, do you still experience the Pop Pop on occasions?

I had the modules firmware updated back in November and I went from it literally happening every journey, and generally crashing the SOS module completely to not happening at all.  HOWEVER, in the last three weeks it's come back on about five occasions.  All but one of these I got a brief error message flash up on the virtual cockpit but everything remained as it should so nothing to worry about but on one occasion it did crash the SOS module completely and also effect the Infotainment system - basically GPS position is adversely affected and when I came to restart the car the next day it was stuck on "Loading Settings" requiring a hard reboot by holding in the SOS button.  I'm pretty sure it's related to mobile signal either switching between 3G to 4G or signal being lost completely.

I've got the car booked in with the dealership to take a look but not confident they will find anything wrong which they can then action with Skoda UK.  Is it something you just have to live with as, like I said, it's only the odd occasion.

1 minute ago, spcdust said:

For those that have had the PoP Pop issue fixed, either by the SOS module being replaced or module firmware updated, do you still experience the Pop Pop on occasions?

I've not had it at all since I had the firmware updates on my car, but I'm also aware on my car they effectively re-coded the entire car after the updates were done - which may make a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's actually making the pop-pop noise? It sounds more like knock-knock to me, like a solenoid being activated (as in the central locking system).

12 hours ago, Robert1961 said:

Does anyone know what's actually making the pop-pop noise? It sounds more like knock-knock to me, like a solenoid being activated (as in the central locking system).

It come via the  radio speakers 

• 2 months later...

Annoyed I was unaware of this SOS error message, just traded my MK3 Octavia technology in 4 weeks ago for a Mk4 VRS (2021) and starting to regret it already… 

Might seem over the top but I’m seriously thinking of moving it on if there’s no definite fix. Amazed VAG group can have so many owners putting up with a sub standard car.

Not impressed at all by Skoda now, my cars warranty isn’t up next month but even although I’ve contacted a main dealer, booked it in and my cars warranty is still valid they’ve confirmed I have to pay a diagnostic charge as it’s booked in a week after it’s 3 years old. Just passed 20k miles and pop pop then error message driving me crazy every day.

My old car is still at the garage I traded it in, 67 reg, not a mark on it and no issues…. What have I done 🫣

10 minutes ago, EcosseRM said:

Annoyed I was unaware of this SOS error message, just traded my MK3 Octavia technology in 4 weeks ago for a Mk4 VRS (2021) and starting to regret it already… 

Might seem over the top but I’m seriously thinking of moving it on if there’s no definite fix. Amazed VAG group can have so many owners putting up with a sub standard car.

Not impressed at all by Skoda now, my cars warranty isn’t up next month but even although I’ve contacted a main dealer, booked it in and my cars warranty is still valid they’ve confirmed I have to pay a diagnostic charge as it’s booked in a week after it’s 3 years old. Just passed 20k miles and pop pop then error message driving me crazy every day.

My old car is still at the garage I traded it in, 67 reg, not a mark on it and no issues…. What have I done 🫣

Whilst it's a bit of a pain it's highly likely that all you need is for the Telematics module firmware to be updated and then it will be fine.  If you purchased from a Skoda dealer then they should sort that out for you or if not then you'll have to pay for it.  You mention that they want to charge you as it's booked in after the warranty expires, but you have informed them before the warranty expires.  Personally I would push back on that either with the dealership or Skoda UK.  What Infotainment version are you running - you want to be on at least version 1941.  If you do have to pay then likely they'll charge an hours labour so get them to update the Infotainment software, the Telematics firmware, and also the climatic control firmware.

I went from the Pop Pop and SOS module crashing almost every journey to being rock solid since the firmware was updated.  Once the software/firmware is sorted they are great cars.

Edited by spcdust