Start/Stop system no longer shuts engine off when stopping

FabFabFabia

A few weeks ago I started up my 2018 Karoq Edition DSG 1.5 TSI and while I was driving I heard the engine make the restart sound a couple of times which was strange as the engine was already running. Since then whenever I stop in traffic the engine no longer shuts down (and no longer starts up again when I press the throttle as it now stays running all the time). Any idea how to fix this please?

Stating the obvious I know but don’t suppose you’ve accidentally switched it off? I was giving the interior a bit of a clean last week and didn’t realise I’d turned the function off until I set off. 

My 2018 is like this most of the time. The battery charges when other demands on the engine are low e.g. on overun. My journeys are usually short so the battery is rarely fully charged. If I do a decent run then the start/stop reappears.  Get the fault codes checked. 

Tom

Thanks for the replies. I haven't accidentally turned the function off but if it doesn't reset itself after a long run this week I'll mention it to the dealer when I have the annual service later this summer.

As previously mentioned I suspect the battery may be coming to the end of it's useful life, as in my experience stop-start not working is a symptom of either a discharged battery, or one with failing residual capacity.

I previously owned a fabulous Mk 1 4x4 1.8T Octavia estate (purchased from a wonderful member on here!) and the original (Varta) battery eventually failed at 15 years of age!

I tend to change cars fairly frequently, so failing batteries were never particularly evident to me, although the (Exide) battery on my old SX4 S-Cross failed completely at 4 years & 55k miles, pretty much without warning.

My battery tester tells me the original (Varta) battery fitted to my 2018 SEAT Mii (40k miles) has a significantly depleted capacity and requires replacement, despite easily starting the car and stop-start still working appropriately.

The start/Stop system can sometimes be a danger. On more than one occasion when forgetting to switch it off I have been exiting a junction for the engine to suddenly cut leaving me stranded until I can restart the engine.

• Like 1

On more than one occasion when forgetting to switch it off I have been exiting a junction for the engine to suddenly cut leaving me stranded until I can restart the engine.

That sounds like its faulty. On my DSG, the engine will restart instantly as soon as you touch the throttle or move the steering a little and and wont stop again until youve moved a certain distance. On a manual I would have expected it not to stop until in neutral with clutch released , and then to restart as soon as the clutch is depressed.

• Like 1

Not so. While exiting the junction only pausing for an instant while checking that  the coast is clear,  set off and it then it decides to cut the engine thinking I have already stopped. it will then start instantly by the normal means but the short delay can be dangerous when trying to join a fast dual carriagway.

Tom,

Yes a manual, but no fault codes. Other than joining fast moving carriageways the stop/start system works OK when I forget to turn it off.

I think the problem is that the system thinks I have stopped when I have only just paused for a micro second.  Other than that the car has been trouble free for 28,000 miles over 4.5 years.

• 2 months later...
On 06/06/2023 at 10:51, FabFabFabia said:

A few weeks ago I started up my 2018 Karoq Edition DSG 1.5 TSI and while I was driving I heard the engine make the restart sound a couple of times which was strange as the engine was already running. Since then whenever I stop in traffic the engine no longer shuts down (and no longer starts up again when I press the throttle as it now stays running all the time). Any idea how to fix this please?

check detail in your infotainment, in the car section/status, it should say the exact cause of disabling the start-stop, probably is your battery life

• Like 1

Thanks, in the Infotainment system (car settings) there was an exclamation mark where it said "Start/Stop System" and when I clicked this and it was Off saying "high power consumption". I clicked it back on. We'll see what happens next time I use the car!

1 hour ago, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks, in the Infotainment system (car settings) there was an exclamation mark where it said "Start/Stop System" and when I clicked this and it was Off saying "high power consumption". I clicked it back on. We'll see what happens next time I use the car!

Hi, your BCM-battery control module is somehow blocked, not working as it should. Or your battery life is really gone.

You can close and lock the car but with the hood open, wait 5-6 min until you hear absolutely no noise (this means that all the computers are sleeping.

Then use a 10mm key to disconnect the battery terminal, wait for 5 min then connect again the terminal.

Unlock the car, if the key is contactless/start/stop button then press the start button with the key, if you have the normal knife key just start the engine.

You will have at least 5 errors in the dash panel about everything, ignore them.

Do not move the car. Turn the wheel maximum to the left then maximum to the right,(ignore it if you have no power steering assistance) then put it straight(at half/at normal position).

All the errors should be gone from your dash panel and all the car computers should have been re-initialized.

In case that other systems still have errors just drive the car for 5 min with more than 50kmph and then stop and start the engine.

On 13/06/2023 at 15:48, Routemaster1461 said:

Also bear in mind that the stop/stsrt system may not work under certain conditions, like when it is very hot and the aircon is working hard.

Same car /year/engine/gearbox ...  also Velvet red :)

Thanks cril410sti, will re-initialising the computers lose all my settings? And which of the two battery leads do I disconnect? Or would it be better to let my Skoda dealer do this while they service my car next month?

On 24/08/2023 at 18:04, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks cril410sti, will re-initialising the computers lose all my settings? And which of the two battery leads do I disconnect? Or would it be better to let my Skoda dealer do this while they service my car next month?

Hi, you should not lose your settings, worst case you have to set back some of your setting from your infotainment.

On 24/08/2023 at 11:26, FabFabFabia said:

That is simply informing you that because you have too many power consumers working (ac, heated seats for example) the start stop is temporarily disabled as inappropriate or because SOC/HOC is insufficient.

SOC/HOC = State and Health of Charge battery management data

• Like 1