Maybe its me but these forums feel unfriendly and unhelpful

anton

Posted (edited)

1 fault I didn't find on here but on a vw website was a misfire injector type fault on the SDI but intermittent it   ended up being those scrawny thin wires going to the injection pump been broken.

My immobiliser fault (stuck on no start in hot weather )beat me so had it deleted I think it's the solder drying up on the cluster but got fed up with it

Edited by anton
Extra info
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

...just to add, aswell, that compared to other car owner forums ive been on, this place is 20x more active than a lot of them...

And in my experience, a 20x more pleasant, useful and enjoyable place to be.

• Like 3

I looked at the photograph of the Roomster, I wasn't sure what it was supposed to convey but the view and especially the roof gable detail and gutter made me think of Cornwall and gave me a very warm feeling, then I looked at the location and saw that I was right.

The warm nostalgic feeling was soon over-ridden by dismay at a subsequent posting.

To the OP you live in a lovely part of the country but I'm sure you know that, your house might even be on the same estate or from the same builders as one of my late fathers retirement properties.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

5 hours ago, mac11irl said:

i did notice someone being not nice to another member on a thread this morning, which i called out, and now, somehow, mr fingerz's thread is missing? the notification about my post on it says i dont have permission to see it. so i hope its because he got the message

I got to see it before leaving for a job this morning, like you I now get a "you do not have permission" notice, rest assured that I did not report the posting but someone else may have.

I doubt somehow the contributor got the message.

• Like 1

@anton You mentioned on page one of this that you've been having some problems with the Roomster you have. I looked in the Roomster forum but I couldn't see a topic by you mentioning what the issues you've been having are.

If you'd like to post one I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd be willing to help and advise you despite the Roomster forum being one of the quieter sections of the site.

FWIW I almost bought one myself as I found it a very practical vehicle and I was a bit surprised when Skoda canned it. 

Anyway, good luck  👍

4 hours ago, @Lee said:

@anton You mentioned on page one of this that you've been having some problems with the Roomster you have. I looked in the Roomster forum but I couldn't see a topic by you mentioning what the issues you've been having are.

If you'd like to post one I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd be willing to help and advise you despite the Roomster forum being one of the quieter sections of the site.

FWIW I almost bought one myself as I found it a very practical vehicle and I was a bit surprised when Skoda canned it. 

Anyway, good luck  👍

Try indicator glitch for a thread

I am going to update my problems on here, I love the practicality of her but have no confidence, I returned from Yorkshire the other week with 30 ISH limp episodes 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, J.R. said:

I looked at the photograph of the Roomster, I wasn't sure what it was supposed to convey but the view and especially the roof gable detail and gutter made me think of Cornwall and gave me a very warm feeling, then I looked at the location and saw that I was right.

The warm nostalgic feeling was soon over-ridden by dismay at a subsequent posting.

To the OP you live in a lovely part of the country but I'm sure you know that, your house might even be on the same estate or from the same builders as one of my late fathers retirement properties.

The message I was trying to convey wasn't a deep one ha but that I have 2 Roomsters in my life.

The house was built by my neighbour it's not an estate it's a few houses on a private hill.

I sold up near Leeds came down with cash , lived in a Fabia, bought this

Edit my notifications by email have never worked even though enabled so it's hard to keep up with replies until I check back in.

Edited by anton
Extra info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2024 at 16:30, mac11irl said:

i just noticed youre here since 2004! 

just to add, aswell, that compared to other car owner forums ive been on, this place is 20x more active than a lot of them...

It doesn't  always feel that active to me when you have an ongoing problem, maybe its because i am in a  another very busy forum.

My latest issue for instance, the thread is just me describing the fault and adding as i go, no replies so i have got to assume that no one has any ideas above my own or apathy or other, or my wording maybe doesn't seem to directly be seeking information

One thing i haven't mentioned is that i disappeared for a very long time as i had an ntlworld email address and couldn't remember my password, contacting admin on here came to nothing but finally guessed/remembered  the right password

Anyway going to stick around and try not to take my ball home anymore 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, anton said:

It doesn't  always feel that active to me when you have an ongoing problem, maybe its because i am in a  another very busy forum.

My latest issue for instance, the thread is just me describing the fault and adding as i go, no replies so i have got to assume that no one has any ideas above my own or apathy or other, or my wording maybe doesn't seem to directly be seeking information

One thing i haven't mentioned is that i disappeared for a very long time as i had an ntlworld email address and couldn't remember my password, contacting admin on here came to nothing but finally guessed/remembered  the right password

Anyway going to stick around and try not to take my ball home anymore 

was that an @dtn.ntl.co.uk one  or not that old :)

On a side note I was working tech support for NTL at Cleppa Park when ntlworld free launched.

Would have been nice if we had been told. Came on shift to thousands of calls with queries!!

Maybe the problem you are having is one that nobody else has any experience of and so cannot offer anything to help you resolve it. Or it could be that you posted in the wrong section maybe? 

29 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

was that an @dtn.ntl.co.uk one  or not that old :)

On a side note I was working tech support for NTL at Cleppa Park when ntlworld free launched.

Would have been nice if we had been told. Came on shift to thousands of calls with queries!!

it was an ntlworld,com i had access for a while then 1 day couldn't log in to webmail

7 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Maybe the problem you are having is one that nobody else has any experience of and so cannot offer anything to help you resolve it. Or it could be that you posted in the wrong section maybe? 

Well i posted in the Roomster section  but i guess  the problem would be common to the fabia with the cayc also, i am probably just in egr denial at the moment !!

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 07:57, anton said:

As title, i have been here many years  as i have been on other forums, don't get me wrong as a source of information its top notch but i end up just using as a read only thing due to total lack of interaction  especially from the established members , i was about to post a solution to a problem (i am tech ford qualified but in the 1980s)) then though i am going to be blanked as always why bother. 

maybe i just need more coffee this morning  

ps don't answer it will prove my point ha ha 

Anyway on with solving  this 403 code i don't think its as bad as i thought

I understand where you're coming from.
The Skoda tech-support side of the site seems to have died down a fair bit, so responses can take a while, if they come at all.

I think this is in part largely due to the majority of the questions asked already having been answered somewhere on the site.

Unfortunately, the search function of the site is not particularly intuitive.

Even if you know the thread you're looking for, it can sometimes be hard to track it down.

I suppose you can get the wrong impression of being ignored, as social area of the site appears quite active.

There are not that many people posting on there regularly, the dozen or so users that regularly post on there tend to post a lot.

Beyond that, any responses to posts are voluntary, so I suppose people have to be in the mood to help.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 09:46, anton said:

It will be the latter Anton, you did not ask any questions or request information other than one rhetorical question, the thread was interesting and I thought it was simply to pass on information and your experience.

I note one member did respond who I presume understood what you were seeking or was his response not what you were hoping for?

There have been several extreme examples recently of people either not being bothered or lacking communication skills, like a title  "Dual mass flywheel noisy" and the opening posting being "As thread title", if they bother to show their location (most dont) or what engine they have, if it seems that English might be their second language then I will request more info to help, like most members I genuinely want to help but I usually dont help those who wont help themselves.

• Like 3

Fair enough, if that's how it came across, but if anyone can access their egr connection on the 1.6 TDI please let me know !!!!!!! Or if they have mapped out the egr and have no regen problems again let me know or fitted an emulator,how the hell did you get that connection on.

Again how much more info can I give ?

Btw this is written lightheartedly and I appreciate people being frank with me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

I understand where you're coming from.
The Skoda tech-support side of the site seems to have died down a fair bit, so responses can take a while, if they come at all.

I think this is in part largely due to the majority of the questions asked already having been answered somewhere on the site.

Unfortunately, the search function of the site is not particularly intuitive.

Even if you know the thread you're looking for, it can sometimes be hard to track it down.

I suppose you can get the wrong impression of being ignored, as social area of the site appears quite active.

There are not that many people posting on there regularly, the dozen or so users that regularly post on there tend to post a lot.

Beyond that, any responses to posts are voluntary, so I suppose people have to be in the mood to help.

Yeah  I suppose I can be said to ignore people as I don't answer much but when I know something I will reply, or if it's a vague idea I will post it as a bump.

True, people have to be in the mood. I am thinking has no one had my problem or know about it.

Also it seems my ongoing problem is treated as a blog rather than seeking info ,ah well 

I would wonder if some of the posters on the site are AI bots  :{

Off hand I can think of a couple of accounts the seem to specialize in vacuous quasitechnical posts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, anton said:

but if anyone can access their egr connection on the 1.6 TDI please let me know !!!!!!! Or if they have mapped out the egr and have no regen problems again let me know or fitted an emulator,how the hell did you get that connection on.

No experience of the 1.6tdi but my experience of these jobs on a 2006 2.0 105hp and a 2015 2.0 CR engine might be relevant in some way.

On the older one I blanked off the EGR which caused limp mode and fault codes so drilled a small hole in the centre and kept going up drill sizes until just enough gases were passing for the ECU to play ball, the final holes size was around 3 or 4mm IIRC.

On the CR engine in my current Yeti I fitted an emulator simulator which works like a dream, the valve was seated properly in the closed position where it will now remain for eternity, I had no water leak on the EGR so I did not need to fit any of the blanking plates or bypass the water connections.

It was an absolute pig to get to the connector, I managed it by pushing on a long screwdriver to release the latch and using the other hand to pull the connector away, refitting the connector (the one on the loom of the emulator) is a one hand job.

The unit is invisible if you give some thought to its location and cable runs, the new cable and connectors to the throttle valve and MAF sensor are identical to the factory ones so do not look out of place.

The unit works a dream, when EGR is commanded it intercepts the signals and gives the correct position sensor signals so the ECU sees the EGR valve open and the throttle valve close when in reality they are doing nothing, it also tweaks the signal from the MAF so the ECU is seeing the required drop in filtered air flow which again does not actually happen.

Well worth the £99 or whatever they are now as a preventative or remedial measure.

• Like 1

No regen problems before or after remapping, I took it off before the remap in case it caused a problem, refitted it after and no problems.

• Like 1

one other thing you have to remember is that, unfortunately, as models go out of production and then ownership numbers dwindle the sub forum activity also drops off over time. 

the mk1 octy section was really busy when i joined in 2012, but now... its a ghost town. and the mk2 section is starting to go the same way.

compounding it further is that bulletin board type forums are losing popularity from other bigger Social Media conglomerates having groups to join.

• Like 3

And the Roomster was always a niche model.

The threads I create are often relevant to most of our vehicles, I look through the available forums to see if they would be appropriate but the rules or advise/explanations of each one usually mean I have to post in in the Yeti section.

That said I look at all the active topics and read/contribute to anything of interest, perhaps others only look at the sub forums for their own vehicle.

• Like 3

On 02/04/2024 at 16:51, Aspman said:

forums (forii?) around.

i believe "fora" is the correct pluralisarion of "um" - datum - data.

"ii" is the plural of "ius" - radius - radii.

HTH in a kind and caring way ;)